PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 4 vs Geelong (Gather Round)

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Three match against West Coast for our Round Four match against Geelong at Adelaide Oval on Saturday evening (Gather Round).

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 09:58 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
31-03-2024, 04:30 PM
Out: Poulter
In: Richards

JanLorMill
31-03-2024, 04:37 PM
Who are Geelong’s other tall forwards? I’d be worried about the Hawkins and Cameron matchups.

Testekill
31-03-2024, 04:37 PM
Out: Dale

In: Richards

Poulter didn't do much so wouldn't be shocked if he's out. Dale's confidence has been shot for a while now, I'm not sure it's something we can afford to play him through.

bornadog
31-03-2024, 05:10 PM
Out: Dale

25 disposals, 10 marks, - not sure I would be dropping him

Bumper Bulldogs
31-03-2024, 06:04 PM
Out Poulter, In Richards

Now let?s talk about JOD or Buku, which do we play if both fit and ready for selection

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 06:10 PM
Out Poulter, In Richards

Now let?s talk about JOD or Buku, which do we play if both fit and ready for selection

Khamis was great today but we can play both of them against Geelong.

azabob
31-03-2024, 06:11 PM
Why was Liberatore subbed out?

ledge
31-03-2024, 06:19 PM

No idea , he said he got a bump but he was okay.

Mofra
31-03-2024, 06:30 PM
Out: Poulter, Duryea
In: Richards, JOD

Harsh on Duryea but Richards is better. Poulter out as we need height to bring in against Geelong. Khamis has been playing well and keeps his spot but he's far better as the third than a CHB.

I wonder if the MC will be tempted by Lobb for Darcy

bornadog
31-03-2024, 06:43 PM

According to Ralph - managed

Hotdog60
31-03-2024, 06:49 PM
25 disposals, 10 marks, - not sure I would be dropping him

I'd be interested in his clangers for this week and last. It's just a perception but it looked like he had a few turnovers.

bornadog
31-03-2024, 06:50 PM
I'd be interested in his clangers for this week and last. It's just a perception but it looked like he had a few turnovers.
4 clangers, 76% Disposal Efficiency.

DOG GOD
31-03-2024, 07:43 PM
Who are Geelong’s other tall forwards? I’d be worried about the Hawkins and Cameron matchups.
Ollie Henry the 3rd. I’d have Khamis for him. Jones on Hawkins. Don’t think we have a match up for Cameron.

westbulldog
31-03-2024, 08:09 PM
We need to negate Stewart , he intercepts everything week in week out.

Bullies
31-03-2024, 08:44 PM
Khamis was great today but we can play both of them against Geelong. Buku was good today but he can't play on Hawkins and Cameron will turn him inside out. He is still learning how to defend and he still loses touch with his opponents. I think JOD needs to play. If they want to play a floating defender then happy for Buku to take that role.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2024, 09:06 PM
I think we need another key defender v Geelong but perhaps we can swing it with Darcy having flexibility and bringing Richards back.

This will be the biggest test we've had in a long while. Last two weeks have been positive, but Geelong is our bogey side and they're better than what we've faced the last two weeks.

angelopetraglia
31-03-2024, 09:29 PM
Geelong backing up after only five days and travelling. That?s a tough ask, especially for their older players like Hawkins.

Hopefully it?s a physical game tomorrow and the Hawks can make it a real contest.

Already without Danger. They have managed Stanley and Touhy this week, so imagine they will come in against us.

The Underdog
01-04-2024, 08:13 AM

We usually just manage to kick the ball to him 20 times. Stopping him is easier said than done. Not sure who the best match up would be. Really can’t kick blindly into the forward line here.

Stevo
01-04-2024, 08:41 AM
So Geelong will be coming off a 5 day break but theyre still a solid and experienced side.

Hawkins, Cameron, Stengle and Miers are capable of kicking multiple goals and our back line will need to perform.
I don't like the 2nd ruck match up and Blicavs will be way too mobile for Darcy.
I know he is young and inexperienced at the moment but I didn't think much of Darcy's game yesterday and we seemed to lose momentum around the middle when he went onto the ball.

Id be very tempted to bring back Lobb for this game but think we will just go for Richards for Duryea who would be very unlucky and Keath or O'Donnell for Poulter.

Khamis can play on their new kid Dempsey and Richards can play on Stengle.

Scorlibo
01-04-2024, 10:19 AM
Lobb was best on last year against Geelong, and has dominated the VFL in his two week absence, so he has to play. Darcy would naturally be on the chopping block, but I'd hope that Jamarra's name also gets raised after two poor performances in a row.

Down back is a massive headache. Gallagher and Baker have found their feet on the wings and Williams has found his at half back. Bramble and Johannisen have been consistent performers over the first few rounds. Duryea turned back the clock against the Weagles, with Bevo calling him 'quite outstanding' in the post match. Khamis has battled well down there and this was probably his best game. Yet Richards and one of O'Donnell or Keath have to come back in - what to do? Multiple players are going to be very unlucky.

Mofra
01-04-2024, 10:55 AM
Buku was good today but he can't play on Hawkins and Cameron will turn him inside out. He is still learning how to defend and he still loses touch with his opponents. I think JOD needs to play. If they want to play a floating defender then happy for Buku to take that role.
Keath? He seemed to get into good spots in the VFL game

Mofra
01-04-2024, 10:57 AM
Play him like we did McGovern?
West has done forward tagging jobs at times.

jazzadogs
01-04-2024, 11:50 AM
I think JOD comes in for Poulter, assuming Ed isn't ready and Libba is okay.

If Libba is out, either Harmes or Garcia are in - I suspect it would be Harmes, with Macrae taking Libba's role.

Duryea to Stengle.
Jones to Hawkins.
JOD to Cameron (eeek, good luck).
Buku to Henry.

jazzadogs
01-04-2024, 11:52 AM
It had been predicted to rain this afternoon, so I was hoping it would make this afternoon's game even more of a slog...but the forecast has changed unfortunately.

Ozza
01-04-2024, 12:08 PM

Yeah this is priority 1. I wonder if Rhylee West could play this role.

Critter
01-04-2024, 12:34 PM
I don't think we have a choice other than to include JOD to take on Cameron. I feel that the combined effort of matching Cameron's running and then overcoming his advantage in body size would see Buku gassed before half-time. Given that Ed Richards has to come back, it means two from this week's team have to make way.

I'm thinking Caleb Poulter is one but then it's a toss-up between Taylor Duryea and Bailey Dale. Duryea is better defensively but Dale gives us significantly greater rebound and metres gained. So I think Dale gets the nod. Good luck with choosing the sub. Maybe Harvey Gallagher or Caleb Daniel will be the unlucky one.

Ozza
01-04-2024, 12:50 PM
I think if we are bringing Richards back, we could consider having him or another of our defenders (perhaps Buku?) play as a defensive forward on Tom Stewart.
Hawkins and Cameron will get their opportunities regardless, but limiting those chances is reliant on what else is happening on the ground. We need to ensure we are getting good value out of our F50 entries and not just kicking it straight to Stewart like we (and many other teams) usually do. I'd go with Richards.

azabob
01-04-2024, 01:03 PM
Reality is no one in the league can effectively stop Tom Stewart, so putting a defensive player on him to me seems counterproductive.

What we need to do is to look for Stewarts match up when we have the ball in hand, especially if his man one of Naughton, JUH, Weightman or Lobb/Darcy.

If we do we want to send someone to Stewart I think VDM is the man, if anything VDM will annoy the living shit out of Stewart and hopefully take his mind off the game mentally.

jeemak
01-04-2024, 04:13 PM
Lobb was best on last year against Geelong, and has dominated the VFL in his two week absence, so he has to play. Darcy would naturally be on the chopping block, but I'd hope that Jamarra's name also gets raised after two poor performances in a row.

Not sure JUH will be getting dropped any time before his signature is secured.

Mofra
01-04-2024, 04:54 PM
Reality is no one in the league can effectively stop Tom Stewart, so putting a defensive player on him to me seems counterproductive.

What we need to do is to look for Stewarts match up when we have the ball in hand, especially if his man one of Naughton, JUH, Weightman or Lobb/Darcy.

If we do we want to send someone to Stewart I think VDM is the man, if anything VDM will annoy the living shit out of Stewart and hopefully take his mind off the game mentally.
West has done the role a few times. Sicily probably didn't send him a Christmas card last year

azabob
01-04-2024, 05:05 PM
West has done the role a few times. Sicily probably didn't send him a Christmas card last year

From memory West once succeed and once failed.

Either West or VDM would be ok options. I think it is foolish to push either Khamis or Richards forward.

DOG GOD
01-04-2024, 05:48 PM
I think JOD comes in for Poulter, assuming Ed isn't ready and Libba is okay.

If Libba is out, either Harmes or Garcia are in - I suspect it would be Harmes, with Macrae taking Libba's role.

Duryea to Stengle.
Jones to Hawkins.
JOD to Cameron (eeek, good luck).
Buku to Henry.

Im worried it will be…
Jones to Hawkins
Buku to Cameron
Williams to Henry

Go_Dogs
01-04-2024, 08:08 PM
No one dropping VDM this week?

bornadog
01-04-2024, 08:08 PM
No one dropping VDM this week?
No way

Bullies
01-04-2024, 08:34 PM
No one dropping VDM this week? As Greg Chappell once said after making 6 ducks in a row if they leave you in the side long enough sooner or later you will make some runs.

PR0408
01-04-2024, 09:45 PM
Could Weightman be an out?
Read he won?t train all week as his arm will be in a brace.

GVGjr
01-04-2024, 09:48 PM
Could Weightman be an out?
Read he won?t train all week as his arm will be in a brace.

He could be. The last time this happened he played through it but was really quiet. Perhaps a full week off might assist.

soupman
01-04-2024, 10:47 PM
Anyone else think Macrae gets dropped again? Gonna be an annoying headline again but don't think he added much this week, and while he wasn't bad I don't think he is what we've been missing at all.

Grantysghost
01-04-2024, 11:06 PM
Anyone else think Macrae gets dropped again? Gonna be an annoying headline again but don't think he added much this week, and while he wasn't bad I don't think he is what we've been missing at all.

He looked off the pace. I'd give him another week, Harmes must be in contention though after a strong performance against Casey.

bornadog
01-04-2024, 11:19 PM
Baker may end up sub this week, Poulter out.

Out: Baker to sub, Duryea

Harsh on Duryea, but Richards must come in.

jeemak
01-04-2024, 11:27 PM
Jacko was always going to take a while to get up to the level, he's had almost six weeks away from it.

If he gets dropped after that then it's completely ****ed.

bornadog
01-04-2024, 11:31 PM
Not sure JUH will be getting dropped any time before his signature is secured.

13 disposals, 9 marks - he stays

jeemak
02-04-2024, 12:08 AM
13 disposals, 9 marks - he stays

Only nine marks though.

hujsh
02-04-2024, 12:43 AM
Baker may end up sub this week, Poulter out.

Out: Baker to sub, Duryea

Harsh on Duryea, but Richards must come in.

So you'd move Williams back to wing? Baker was great last week and still provided good run and ball use this week. Williams had his best game in 3 years in his preferred position. The obvious solution to me is to drop a defender or move someone up the field and the primary candidates are Dale and Buku.

I know you will give me some stats from this week but the stats don't change what I've seen the last few weeks (and most of last year) which is that Dale's ball use has been pretty poor. He can still hit the safe options but whenever he tries something a bit more difficult or risky nowdays it just doesn't come off. He doesn't intercept, he's not a great defender.

Buku had some bad moments with ball in hand this week. If we want a dedicated 3rd tall interceptor he'd be the guy though. Maybe Williams and Richards can kind of cover that role though.

Williams Jones Bramble
JJ JOD Richards

That's probably our key back 6 on form right now (with the exception of JOD which is assumed and we need another key tall)

1eyedog
02-04-2024, 01:09 AM
I don't think Richards is any certainty to come in.

Vred
02-04-2024, 01:48 AM
I don't think Richards is any certainty to come in.

Bevo said in his presser that Ed would be right to go, but maybe a throw away line?

Mantis
02-04-2024, 09:00 AM
Jacko was always going to take a while to get up to the level, he's had almost six weeks away from it.

If he gets dropped after that then it's completely ****ed.

Bevo pretty much said in his presser that Macrae will get an extended run back, but his lack of pace/ acceleration in the centre square was really noticeable given how often he was left flat footed as his opponent broke free.

I'm at a point that unless Treloar or Libba are out of the team only one of Sanders or Macrae plays and would prefer someone with pace (Garcia) plays as the bit part mid role.

Testekill
02-04-2024, 12:39 PM
Bevo pretty much said in his presser that Macrae will get an extended run back, but his lack of pace/ acceleration in the centre square was really noticeable given how often he was left flat footed as his opponent broke free.

I'm at a point that unless Treloar or Libba are out of the team only one of Sanders or Macrae plays and would prefer someone with pace (Garcia) plays as the bit part mid role.

His loss of all pace is probably the biggest thing that forces Macrae out of the center set up, our centre square set up is already a bit too one paced and he can't really run or sit on an opponent.

Sedat
02-04-2024, 12:43 PM
His loss of all pace is probably the biggest thing that forces Macrae out of the center set up, our centre square set up is already a bit too one paced and he can't really run or sit on an opponent.
Watching him on the weekend, I'm actually worried about his medium to long term future as an AFL footballer. It's not his fault - the 2024 game has moved away from the elite aerobic mids who can run at the same pace all day (especially if you are not elite by foot, which Jack isn't), and favours those inside/outside mids with burst speed from stoppage. I hope I'm proven wrong - nothing would make me happier.

Mofra
02-04-2024, 01:01 PM
From memory West once succeed and once failed.

Either West or VDM would be ok options. I think it is foolish to push either Khamis or Richards forward.
I would still go with West, unless Harmes comes into the team. VDM does have the right temperament for the role but his forte is covering the ground at pace. We might not want to give up the guy who gut-runs to cutoff the cheap 45 out of their defence.

Mofra
02-04-2024, 01:03 PM
Watching him on the weekend, I'm actually worried about his medium to long term future as an AFL footballer. It's not his fault - the 2024 game has moved away from the elite aerobic mids who can run at the same pace all day (especially if you are not elite by foot, which Jack isn't), and favours those inside/outside mids with burst speed from stoppage. I hope I'm proven wrong - nothing would make me happier.
I think you can carry one in the CBA at all times - but for us, that's Libba.

He's probably morphing into Daniel Cross as we speak as Jack is still an elite ball winner and now he's back to fitness he covers the ground well. I'm actually more concerned about next year as Garcia is coming with a bullet and while smaller has pace and a dose of bastard, and is happy to sit at HHF and 'hit some bodies' as he puts it.

Testekill
02-04-2024, 01:11 PM

It's probably best for his career to request a trade at the end of the year, he could be a great steadying influence in a younger midfield but it's hard to ignore that the game seems to be going past his style of football

Curly5
02-04-2024, 01:27 PM

Didn't Macrae have a hip issue during the preseason? That may still be restricting his movement a bit.

1eyedog
02-04-2024, 01:34 PM
Bevo said in his presser that Ed would be right to go, but maybe a throw away line?

He looked very shaky running off so looked like a bad one and we seem to be more and more cautious with concussion these days. I think for bad ones the consensus is you're not right after 12 days and I think performances post-concussion supports that.

If he's right he's right though I have no idea.

1eyedog
02-04-2024, 01:36 PM

There was one play where he gut ran forward and Kelly didn't go with him. Lead to the receive and hit up to Gallagher. He's not quick but he worked hard.

Jeanette54
02-04-2024, 01:38 PM
It's probably best for his career to request a trade at the end of the year, he could be a great steadying influence in a younger midfield but it's hard to ignore that the game seems to be going past his style of football

I support Jack, Bulldog for life.

1eyedog
02-04-2024, 01:39 PM

Agreed but there are atill opportunities to win it at the coal face. We're flicking it around again as well and he is a proven performer by hand. You dont need to be fast if you can win the ball and have good hands and he still has good hands. Inside mids with pace and good skills are hard to find. Most teams only have one and good teams have perhaps two. I think he still has something to offer but time will tell.

Sedat
02-04-2024, 02:39 PM
There was one play where he gut ran forward and Kelly didn't go with him. Lead to the receive and hit up to Gallagher. He's not quick but he worked hard.
Yep, I really liked that passage of play. Especially his deft angled kick to VDM, which showed great composure to not revert to a "long bomb to Snake".

He's no 2 behind Libba in that coalface role, and as others have alluded we probably can't have 2 of these types. Similar to Laird and Crouch for Adelaide, who are very vanilla and pedestrian in the midfield this season.

I hope he can adapt and adjust and become an irreplaceable member of our 2024 team. Ditto Daniel, who has been great as a connector further up the ground the last 2 weeks.

Grantysghost
02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Didn't Macrae have a hip issue during the preseason? That may still be restricting his movement a bit.
He had a femur stress thing and a hamstring.

Bullies
02-04-2024, 03:26 PM
I think you can carry one in the CBA at all times - but for us, that's Libba.

He's probably morphing into Daniel Cross as we speak as Jack is still an elite ball winner and now he's back to fitness he covers the ground well. I'm actually more concerned about next year as Garcia is coming with a bullet and while smaller has pace and a dose of bastard, and is happy to sit at HHF and 'hit some bodies' as he puts it. Hopefully we start giving Garcia some game time. He has something we lack out of the middle and that is pace. Eagles are apparently into him big time to return home.

1eyedog
02-04-2024, 03:27 PM
Yep, I really liked that passage of play. Especially his deft angled kick to Gags, which showed great composure to not revert to a "long bomb to Snake".

He's no 2 behind Libba in that coalface role, and as others have alluded we probably can't have 2 of these types. Similar to Laird and Crouch for Adelaide, who are very vanilla and pedestrian in the midfield this season.

I hope he can adapt and adjust and become an irreplaceable member of our 2024 team. Ditto Daniel, who has been great as a connector further up the ground the last 2 weeks.

Yeah I'm hoping he can adapt and find a role. The trend has been that teams are sweating on turn overs to score so we really need him at his defensive best. He's a smart player and smart players find a way to contribute.

Virgin-Dog
02-04-2024, 09:50 PM
So you'd move Williams back to wing? Baker was great last week and still provided good run and ball use this week. Williams had his best game in 3 years in his preferred position. The obvious solution to me is to drop a defender or move someone up the field and the primary candidates are Dale and Buku.

I know you will give me some stats from this week but the stats don't change what I've seen the last few weeks (and most of last year) which is that Dale's ball use has been pretty poor. He can still hit the safe options but whenever he tries something a bit more difficult or risky nowdays it just doesn't come off. He doesn't intercept, he's not a great defender.

Buku had some bad moments with ball in hand this week. If we want a dedicated 3rd tall interceptor he'd be the guy though. Maybe Williams and Richards can kind of cover that role though.

Williams Jones Bramble
JJ JOD Richards

That's probably our key back 6 on form right now (with the exception of JOD which is assumed and we need another key tall)
Agree on Dale. Shockingly out of form - personally I?d drop Poulter and move Dale to sub.

Can?t say I noticed any poor ball use from Khamis though? He went at 90% DE, and only had two turnovers for the game. His ability to intercept, and more importantly get us into an attacking position is massive for our defence, considering we lacked this component over the last few years. No way would I be dropping Khamis

hujsh
02-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Agree on Dale. Shockingly out of form - personally I?d drop Poulter and move Dale to sub.

Can?t say I noticed any poor ball use from Khamis though? He went at 90% DE, and only had two turnovers for the game. His ability to intercept, and more importantly get us into an attacking position is massive for our defence, considering we lacked this component over the last few years. No way would I be dropping Khamis

I remember a couple of bad ones early in the match. Someone I won't nark on said they'd 'seen enough of him' in the gameday thread. I'm not inclined to drop him either he's just an awkward one to fit sometimes so as long as the MC have a role for him.

D Mitchell
02-04-2024, 10:26 PM

Down back is a massive headache. Gallagher and Baker have found their feet on the wings and Williams has found his at half back. Bramble and Johannisen have been consistent performers over the first few rounds. Duryea turned back the clock against the Weagles, with Bevo calling him 'quite outstanding' in the post match. Khamis has battled well down there and this was probably his best game. Yet Richards and one of O'Donnell or Keath have to come back in - what to do? Multiple players are going to be very unlucky.

Bolded bit. HERESY

Mantis
03-04-2024, 10:08 AM
Out: Weightman (inj), Poulter, Macrae

Macrae becomes the sub.

Probably taking in one extra defender in (maybe 2), but those in the team are performing well so it's a tough one... if playing the devil's advocate, you probably say Duryea out as he was last in.

Mitcha
03-04-2024, 02:01 PM
Great position to be in, Ed if fit, which if Bevo is to be believed is right to go is a no brainer most likely Poulter misses out.
Other than that does JOD come in to take on one of the bigger Pussy forwards with possibly Jones to take the deepest and strongest forward Hawkins, JOD to take the more athletic and pushing higher up the ground Cameron leaving Buku to take the third tall Henry.
The mids need to win first touch regularly and not allow front of stoppage exits from Centre bounce as the greatest danger is their potent forward mix.
At this stage I'm going with, Ins Richards and O'Donnell, Outs Poulter and Jacko as much as that hurts to say. Only other option is Doc but his direction of the defensive set up is grossly under rated.

bornadog
03-04-2024, 02:36 PM
Great position to be in, Ed if fit, which if Bevo is to be believed is right to go is a no brainer most likely Poulter misses out.
Other than that does JOD come in to take on one of the bigger Pussy forwards with possibly Jones to take the deepest and strongest forward Hawkins, JOD to take the more athletic and pushing higher up the ground Cameron leaving Buku to take the third tall Henry.
The mids need to win first touch regularly and not allow front of stoppage exits from Centre bounce as the greatest danger is their potent forward mix.
At this stage I'm going with, Ins Richards and O'Donnell, Outs Poulter and Jacko as much as that hurts to say. Only other option is Doc but his direction of the defensive set up is grossly under rated.

who is your sub?

Mitcha
03-04-2024, 03:12 PM
A very stiff Oskar Baker

Axe Man
03-04-2024, 03:57 PM
A very stiff Oskar Baker

That's going to mean 9 defenders in your starting 22 if you are bringing in JOD and Ed. Who are you moving out of defence and where given we generally only rotate 7 defenders through the back 6?

Rocco Jones
03-04-2024, 04:26 PM
- JOD for Poulter due to get extra height down back
- Ed for Doc. Doc was really good vs Eagles but we are covered for small defenders with Ed back. Doc looked at least a backup we can trust when called upon
- I'd go Gags as sub
- this is the first of three consecutive 6 day breaks. I'd have Darcy over Lobb atm but don't think we'd lose much if Sam could do with a break.

Before I Die
03-04-2024, 05:18 PM
I think this week is going to be very difficult for the MC, in a good way, and an existential crisis for a lot of WOOF posters.
Form or reputation, pace or experience, match ups or system?
I?m assuming Richards and Weightman are fit.
So, Richards is in and Poulter is out. This possibly means Williams gets some wing time. Which I am fine with. The same applies to all the mid-size defenders except, perhaps, Duryea. Which means Baker and Gallagher may also find themselves at HB occasionally.
Now for the hard bit. Do we need O?Donnell?s size for Cameron? My feeling is yes, but who comes out? And has O?Donnell really demonstrated he can get the job done? So, I?m going to leave him out. If height down back becomes absolutely necessary, then Darcy gets first crack at it. If Cameron is rampant then Naughton may have to be given a turn. I am 100% in the keep Naughton forward camp, but he is a break glass option. Same as Buku forward or even in the ruck as a Hail Mary last resort.
I think the Sub will be Macrae or Doc. I?ll nominate Doc as it means Williams can stay back and he will probably be needed to cover Henry.

p.s. I think criticising selection post game should only be permitted if the poster has first put their opinion forth in this chat :)

bornadog
03-04-2024, 05:25 PM
I think this week is going to be very difficult for the MC, in a good way, and an existential crisis for a lot of WOOF posters.
Form or reputation, pace or experience, match ups or system?
I?m assuming Richards and Weightman are fit.
So, Richards is in and Poulter is out. This possibly means Williams gets some wing time. Which I am fine with. The same applies to all the mid-size defenders except, perhaps, Duryea. Which means Baker and Gallagher may also find themselves at HB occasionally.
Now for the hard bit. Do we need O?Donnell?s size for Cameron? My feeling is yes, but who comes out? And has O?Donnell really demonstrated he can get the job done? So, I?m going to leave him out. If height down back becomes absolutely necessary, then Darcy gets first crack at it. If Cameron is rampant then Naughton may have to be given a turn. I am 100% in the keep Naughton forward camp, but he is a break glass option. Same as Buku forward or even in the ruck as a Hail Mary last resort.
I think the Sub will be Macrae or Doc. I?ll nominate Doc as it means Williams can stay back and he will probably be needed to cover Henry.

p.s. I think criticising selection post game should only be permitted if the poster has first put their opinion forth in this chat :)

The biggest question is can Buku run with Cameron. Thinking about selection this week, I have slightly changed my mind JOD needs match time, and that should be in the VFL, however, there is a bye this week.

I tend to now think, Poulter out, Richards in and Duryea sub.

meenies
03-04-2024, 06:04 PM
Out Duyrea, Darcy, Poulter
In Richards, Lobb
sub: Garcia

jeemak
03-04-2024, 08:36 PM
I'd give Williams the job on Cameron as I think he can handle him in the air as well as alternatives outside of Jones, and has the smarts and aerobic capacity to run with him. I don't love it, but there's not a lot of options that please me.

Lobb has earned a recall, and will be better suited against the Cats ruck combinations. Darcy isn't quite there strength and fitness wise, but he's played a couple and has plenty to work on.

Richards comes in for Duryea, which is a shame for the latter as I thought he was pretty good.

In - Lobb and Richards
Out - Darcy and Duryea

Sub - Poulter (just because I don't think they'll make a change)

bornadog
03-04-2024, 08:39 PM
I'd give Williams the job on Cameron as I think he can handle him in the air as well as alternatives outside of Jones, and has the smarts and aerobic capacity to run with him. I don't love it, but there's not a lot of options that please me.

He would be conceding 7cm, and I don't believe he would get him in the air.

jeemak
03-04-2024, 08:42 PM
He would be conceding 7cm, and I don't believe he would get him in the air.

Is Cameron taller than Williams is he? ;)

Let me change my post........

Just stirring you BAD. It's not ideal but it's more the running capacity of Cameron that worries me. If Geelong isolates then Jones rolls back and we benefit from having Hawkins away from goal.

JanLorMill
03-04-2024, 09:27 PM
Why are people rushing to get Lobb back in for Darcy? Yes he played well the last game in 2023 vs Geelong but it was a nothing game for Geelong

jeemak
03-04-2024, 09:34 PM
Why are people rushing to get Lobb back in for Darcy? Yes he played well the last game in 2023 vs Geelong but it was a nothing game for Geelong

Form at the lower level for mine, and then a consideration around Geelong's ruck mix - plus his performance last time we played them.

1eyedog
04-04-2024, 12:56 AM
Can Williams play on Cameron? Do we need to play a tall player on him? Cameron isn't typically a big marking player.

1eyedog
04-04-2024, 12:58 AM

Lobb has earned a recall, and will be better suited against the Cats ruck combinations. Darcy isn't quite there strength and fitness wise, but he's played a couple and has plenty to work on.

Richards comes in for Duryea, which is a shame for the latter as I thought he was pretty good.

In - Lobb and Richards
Out - Darcy and Duryea

Sub - Poulter (just because I don't think they'll make a change)

Agreed I'd be OK starting Williams on Cameron.

It's not so much about height as it is about Williams' ability to go with him in addition to Williams's ability to defend.

JanLorMill
04-04-2024, 07:31 AM
Form at the lower level for mine, and then a consideration around Geelong's ruck mix - plus his performance last time we played them.
Not sure our second ruck is going to make the difference in the rucks.

Critter
04-04-2024, 11:52 AM
Can Williams play on Cameron? Do we need to play a tall player on him? Cameron isn't typically a big marking player.

For mine, I think JOD is the obvious option for Cameron. But if you want someone with more match fitness, I think the best option would be Ed. Yes, he spots Cameron 8 cm but in every other way - tackling, speed, agility, bodying - he is more than a match. Much more so in my opinion than Williams.

Mantis
04-04-2024, 12:03 PM
For mine, I think JOD is the obvious option for Cameron. But if you want someone with more match fitness, I think the best option would be Ed. Yes, he spots Cameron 8 cm but in every other way - tackling, speed, agility, bodying - he is more than a match. Much more so in my opinion than Williams.

I would hope Ed plays on a lesser like, maybe Dempsey who he can not only take care of, but also work off to intercept.

bornadog
04-04-2024, 12:09 PM
Press Conference around 11.30

PR0408
04-04-2024, 04:02 PM

We won?t be changing the side to much. Now the Cody plays I?m confident it will only be Richard?s into the 23 for Poulter. Not sure who is sub.

Critter
04-04-2024, 04:07 PM
Going on Beveridge's presser, my guess now is:

In: Richards Lobb
out: Darcy Poulter

And i think Doc might end up as sub

hujsh
04-04-2024, 04:21 PM
Going on Beveridge's presser, my guess now is:

In: Richards Lobb
out: Darcy Poulter

And i think Doc might end up as sub

I think that makes a lot of sense. A bit disappointed we'll probably go back to using Williams as an okay at best winger but so be it.

Mofra
04-04-2024, 04:55 PM
I think that makes a lot of sense. A bit disappointed we'll probably go back to using Williams as an okay at best winger but so be it.
I still like he the idea of a running player on Cameron. Cover his link up play and push him wide at every opportunity. Do not let him field kick with no pressure. We can't let their high forwards get clean kicks into their F50. They'll kill us

hujsh
04-04-2024, 05:05 PM
I still like he the idea of a running player on Cameron. Cover his link up play and push him wide at every opportunity. Do not let him field kick with no pressure. We can't let their high forwards get clean kicks into their F50. They'll kill us

Do we have Williams follow him up field and have Buku loose down back?

Mantis
04-04-2024, 05:08 PM
Do we have Williams follow him up field and have Buku loose down back?

Would think Buku will pick up O.Henry.

hujsh
04-04-2024, 05:12 PM
Would think Buku will pick up O.Henry.

So who's on Cameron? Sounds like we'll likely not bring in Keath or JOD which leaves the likes of Dale, Richards, Bramble, JJ... it's a bit bear and I'd rather one of those 4 on Henry than Cameron.

Different story if a tall comes in.

Grantysghost
04-04-2024, 06:03 PM
So who's on Cameron? Sounds like we'll likely not bring in Keath or JOD which leaves the likes of Dale, Richards, Bramble, JJ... it's a bit bear and I'd rather one of those 4 on Henry than Cameron.

Any chance Lobbster tears play as as defender?

It's an out there idea I know, and according to G he hasn't trained there ever so... You know no chance.

But he seems mobile enough to me.

kruder
04-04-2024, 06:30 PM
This is exactly the type of game we should be prepaid to send Naughty back if required, I'm expecting us to go in without JOD and Keath.

Danjul
04-04-2024, 06:56 PM
Any chance Lobbster tears play as as defender?

It's an out there idea I know, and according to G he hasn't trained there ever so... You know no chance.

But he seems mobile enough to me.
Lobb to the ruck
English centre half back
Darcy Forward pocket
Naughton stays on the 50 metre arc.

Dogs by 32 points.

Scorlibo
04-04-2024, 07:23 PM
Just the one change: Richards in for Poulter.

Interchange is Darcy, Daniel, Duryea, Macrae and Richards

azabob
04-04-2024, 07:32 PM
Im a bit puzzled that we are playing Weightman.

Last time he dislocated his elbow he was next to useless the week after.

jeemak
04-04-2024, 07:38 PM

Hahahaha, oh no.

GVGjr
04-04-2024, 08:19 PM

I probably need to check this but I think it was about 3 weeks where he struggled.

azabob
04-04-2024, 08:32 PM
Hahahaha, oh no.

Say what now?

I’m a Cody fan, in fact I nominated him as my most improved player for 2024 in the pre season. If only one of us was a narc to go back and check ;)

Hopefully he is good to go.

azabob
04-04-2024, 08:33 PM
I probably need to check this but I think it was about 3 weeks where he struggled.

Maybe it’s not as severe? Did he look ginger at training from what you could see?

GVGjr
04-04-2024, 08:36 PM
Maybe it’s not as severe? Did he look ginger at training from what you could see?

Restricted with his marking and that compression sleeve didn't allow free movement. If he needs it during the game it will be a problem.

azabob
04-04-2024, 08:40 PM
Restricted with his marking and that compression sleeve didn't allow free movement. If he needs it during the game it will be a problem.

Bevo mentioned he will play with the sleeve.

josie
04-04-2024, 08:47 PM

Grizzly or polar? That?ll keep sour lolly face man quiet. Sorry Hujsh. Couldn?t help myself.

bornadog
04-04-2024, 10:05 PM
So who will be sub? We have an extra backman, so does Williams go back to wing and Baker sub?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2024, 10:19 PM
Sub would look likely to be Daniel or Macrae.

bornadog
04-04-2024, 10:25 PM
Cody, can he play like this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKSlgYwacAA0Lcm?format=jpg&name=large

hujsh
04-04-2024, 10:38 PM
So who will be sub? We have an extra backman, so does Williams go back to wing and Baker sub?

Why not Doc? 8 would be too many defenders would it not?

mighty_west
04-04-2024, 10:52 PM
I'm thinking Doc to sub, can't really have Naughton back for anyone suggesting it as they have Tom Stewart, De Koning, Kolodjashnij and Henry back there, we'll need to keep them as accountable as possible especially Stewart, so we'll need all hands on deck up forward to kick a winning score.

Possibly Jones to Hawkins, Buku to run around with Cameron and Williams on Henry. Would like to have Dale on a wing with JJ, Richards and Bramble back as i'm not sure Dale is defensively minded enough to play on Miers or Stengle, may actually need Doc to play a defensive role so perhaps Gags or Sanders may be unlucky with the vest.

Edit, i'll go Duryea (Sub) as Sanders and Gags are in the starting 18.

jeemak
04-04-2024, 10:53 PM
Say what now?

I?m a Cody fan, in fact I nominated him as my most improved player for 2024 in the pre season. If only one of us was a narc to go back and check ;)

Hopefully he is good to go.

I just recall the carry on about it in 2022 and don't want to relive it. Not from you, BTW.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Why not Doc? 8 would be too many defenders would it not?

A small defender as a sub would be odd though. I'd be playing Doc on Stengel.

bornadog
04-04-2024, 11:54 PM

same here

Ozza
05-04-2024, 09:26 AM
Have to think Macrae is a massive chance to be sub.

I'm relatively pleased we haven't rushed back a tall defender for Cameron. Watching the cats live last week, Cameron spent much of his game roaming up to the wing or further and he beats opponents on speed and smarts rather than height/aerial presence. I think we have to back Buku in. I would just like him to be told to be conscious of Cameron dragging him up the ground and then getting out the back. Buku to maybe only go with him up the ground to a point, and stay in our half of the ground.

In any case, I'm far more conscious of Stewart's influence than Hawk/Cameron. The cats get smashed in clearance every week. We are going to get more than our share of opportunities to go inside 50. By far our biggest danger, is not taking advantage of those.

JanLorMill
05-04-2024, 09:54 AM
Cameron is only going to roam if they can’t win the ball at a clearance or they rebound like they normally do against us.

hujsh
05-04-2024, 10:12 AM

Yeah... wouldn't 6 small defenders also be a strange choice for picking a 22?

The Underdog
05-04-2024, 10:53 AM
Yeah... wouldn't 6 small defenders also be a strange choice for picking a 22?

Not if 3 of them are playing on Jeremy Cameron

Ozza
05-04-2024, 10:58 AM

I'm relatively pleased we haven't rushed back a tall defender for Cameron. Watching the cats live last week, Cameron spent much of his game roaming up to the wing or further and he beats opponents on speed and smarts rather than height/aerial presence. I think we have to back Buku in. I would just like him to be told to be conscious of Cameron dragging him up the ground and then getting out the back. Buku to maybe only go with him up the ground to a point, and stay in our half of the ground.

In any case, I'm far more conscious of Stewart's influence than Hawk/Cameron. The cats get smashed in clearance every week. We are going to get more than our share of opportunities to go inside 50. By far our biggest danger, is not taking advantage of those.

Bulldog Joe
05-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Any chance that Bailey Dale is the sub?

Thinking he was the worst defender last week and we have a surplus of them.

bornadog
05-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Any chance that Bailey Dale is the sub?

Thinking he was the worst defender last week and we have a surplus of them.

Although Dale made a couple of errors (4 clangers), he had 25 disposals and 10 marks. I wouldn't be moving him at all.

Mantis
05-04-2024, 11:59 AM

I'm concerned about Buku's aerobic capabilities to run with Cameron and think he might get ''lost'' of we do change-overs. Would prefer that Buku goes to Henry and a more mobile player like Dale or Williams runs around with Cameron.

Agree that Stewart, and the other ''taller'' defenders are concerning... think English up forward will be important given his aerial presence/ strength.

mjp
05-04-2024, 01:21 PM

Does anyone else feel like they are living in some kind of bizarre parallel universe??

EasternWest
05-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Does anyone else feel like they are living in some kind of bizarre parallel universe??

Almost always, but specifically with this.

jazzadogs
05-04-2024, 02:10 PM
Not if 3 of them are playing on Jeremy Cameron

Stacked on each other's shoulders, wearing a trench coat?

mighty_west
05-04-2024, 03:03 PM
I'm concerned about Buku's aerobic capabilities to run with Cameron and think he might get ''lost'' of we do change-overs. Would prefer that Buku goes to Henry and a more mobile player like Dale or Williams runs around with Cameron.

Agree that Stewart, and the other ''taller'' defenders are concerning... think English up forward will be important given his aerial presence/ strength.

I put Buku on Cameron in my thoughts for this game but i do also worry about that, Dale has no defensive game so maybe play him on Cameron and try and burn him on the rebound?, this is where we need two Liam Jone's.

Stewart and the other taller defenders is why any talk of Naughton playing back is not going to work at all, especially as we have to keep them as accountable as possible, Stewart will hand our ass a new one if we just let him run free and do what he wants and Marra will be continually double teamed and kept out of the game, we need to attack this mob.

bornadog
05-04-2024, 03:42 PM
I put Buku on Cameron in my thoughts for this game but i do also worry about that, Dale has no defensive game so maybe play him on Cameron and try and burn him on the rebound?, this is where we need two Liam Jone's.

Stewart and the other taller defenders is why any talk of Naughton playing back is not going to work at all, especially as we have to keep them as accountable as possible, Stewart will hand our ass a new one if we just let him run free and do what he wants and Marra will be continually double teamed and kept out of the game, we need to attack this mob.

The other issue will be who plays on the resting ruckman? Geelong will try and outstretch us as we will them.

Rocco Jones
05-04-2024, 04:46 PM
The other issue will be who plays on the resting ruckman? Geelong will try and outstretch us as we will them.

I think they will have Stanley either in the ruck or on the bench. Blicavs ruck or mid. Cats a bit different with Blicavs as they don't get typical 2nd ruck playing fwd mins.

Danjul
05-04-2024, 05:42 PM
Aren?t they our 2 best at getting the ball to teammates in better positions when under pressure?

bornadog
05-04-2024, 06:18 PM
Aren?t they our 2 best at getting the ball to teammates in better positions when under pressure?

Exactly why they should not be subs

jeemak
05-04-2024, 09:48 PM
Bevo mentioned if Jack plays he can't be the sub and has to play a full game, when heavily questioned about his omission from the first two rounds. I'd be surprised if he went back on that and Jack isn't in the midfield mix all game. I get he wasn't prolific last week but it was a first game back having not been at the senior level for over a month.

Happy with Duryea being the sub and pushing JJ or Dale further up the ground if we sub out a wing or a HFF, or injury forces a change. Without Jack or Daniel starting I feel we're a bit short for quality midfield cover.

GVGjr
05-04-2024, 11:04 PM
What you ideally want with a sub is the ability to add pace to the line-up at a time when players are tiring.
While it doesn't always work out that way Macrae isn't going to offer that fresh player spark so I agree with Bevo that he either starts or gets dropped.

jeemak
05-04-2024, 11:39 PM
What you ideally want with a sub is the ability to add pace to the line-up at a time when players are tiring.
While it doesn't always work out that way Macrae isn't going to offer that fresh player spark so I agree with Bevo that he either starts or gets dropped.

Nobody on the bench really fits that bill (although Duryea is still very quick). But a lot of our versatility is in the back half so it makes sense we'd put someone who can release that into the sub position.

kruder
06-04-2024, 10:03 AM
Can we win it woofers? I think this club desperately needs a scalp like Geelong to take this teams horizon to another level.

The Underdog
06-04-2024, 10:32 AM
Can we win it woofers? I think this club desperately needs a scalp like Geelong to take this teams horizon to another level.

History says we’ll shot the bed. But it’s definitely an opportunity for us to show that “we’ve changed”

hujsh
06-04-2024, 10:55 AM
History says we’ll shot the bed. But it’s definitely an opportunity for us to show that “we’ve changed”

The bed deserved it. Wasn't bedding right

bornadog
06-04-2024, 10:55 AM

why not? Go Dogs !!!

EasternWest
06-04-2024, 11:15 AM

I heard there was a second sleeper. The bedpost went back and to the left.

The Underdog
06-04-2024, 11:41 AM

I?m assuming autocorrect thought the bed was ?ducking?

Grantysghost
06-04-2024, 11:45 AM
You'd be safe with one of Dosh Junkley's mattresses they're personality i mean bullet proof.

azabob
06-04-2024, 11:54 AM
Bevo mentioned if Jack plays he can't be the sub and has to play a full game, when heavily questioned about his omission from the first two rounds. I'd be surprised if he went back on that and Jack isn't in the midfield mix all game. I get he wasn't prolific last week but it was a first game back having not been at the senior level for over a month.

Happy with Duryea being the sub and pushing JJ or Dale further up the ground if we sub out a wing or a HFF, or injury forces a change. Without Jack or Daniel starting I feel we're a bit short for quality midfield cover.

Is Geelong an athletic team who hurt you on the burst or are they a team who will beat you at the source?

For mine if its at the source we start Macrae if its on the spread or burst Macrae may be the sub.

Rocket Science
06-04-2024, 11:57 AM
why not? Go Dogs !!!

Man, this is the most irresistible bait but I don't wanna harsh anyone's post-Bombres pantsing buzz.

I'll leave that to the Handbaggers and specifically their forward line.

jeemak
06-04-2024, 12:12 PM
Is Geelong an athletic team who hurt you on the burst or are they a team who will beat you at the source?

For mine if its at the source we start Macrae if its on the spread or burst Macrae may be the sub.

They used to hurt us everywhere, inside and out when Selwood and Dangerfield were at the top of their games!

To me (with those guys not playing) this is a golden opportunity for our midfielders in Bont, Treloar, Libba and Jacko to show some grit and dominance at the source. Jacko isn't a burst runner but he can run all day, I'd play him and let him go for it until he's tired if that ever actually happens.

We play our best when all of these guys are contributing well, I want to see if they still have it in them to dominate a game against a good team.

Pleather Sole
06-04-2024, 01:51 PM
Nobody on the bench really fits that bill (although Duryea is still very quick). But a lot of our versatility is in the back half so it makes sense we'd put someone who can release that into the sub position.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ed is the sub. He's so effective you want him on the ground or the bench, but if you look at his skills, speed and smarts he could be the perfect sub/impact player. If he was to come on early due to an injury the magnets wouldn't move too much.

Pleather Sole
06-04-2024, 02:29 PM
MVP tonight is Matthew Egan. His understanding of Geelong could easily be the difference in the Dogs coaching box. He's a steely minded character. Probably been thinking about this game since he signed on. He knows how Scott ticks. We might even be half a step ahead if Bevo heeds the wisdom and I have a feeling he will, he wants to prove he can change and learn (and keep his job).
Tight game, draw, or Dogs by enough, although by a 3 or 4 goals would be mighty satiating.

bornadog
06-04-2024, 08:09 PM
Any news on sub?

GVGjr
06-04-2024, 08:12 PM
Any news on sub?

I believe its Macrae

bornadog
06-04-2024, 08:13 PM
I believe its Macrae
Bad choice

hujsh
06-04-2024, 08:43 PM
Operation 3 defenders in a trenchcoat is a go

jeemak
06-04-2024, 08:53 PM
I believe its Macrae

Shows what I know....

bornadog
06-04-2024, 08:57 PM
Shows what I know....
same

azabob
06-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Shows what I know....

Your mistake was believing Luke Beveridge.

Before I Die
06-04-2024, 09:09 PM
Well, we were all calling for change, and the MC has certainly delivered. Speed, defensive/offensive transition and defensive structure. The proof is in the pudding, and tonight will be a big test.

Grantysghost
06-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Buku loses Cameron already...

jeemak
07-04-2024, 04:14 AM
Your mistake was believing Luke Beveridge.

Nets.