PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 10 vs GWS Giants

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Nine match against Richmond for our Round Ten match against the Giants at Engie Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
10-05-2024, 11:01 PM
Bump

Happy Days
11-05-2024, 11:31 PM
Out: Harmes

JanLorMill
11-05-2024, 11:34 PM
Gags VDM outs. Wait til the vfl for the ins

EasternWest
11-05-2024, 11:34 PM
Out: Harmes

Chortle

bornadog
11-05-2024, 11:52 PM
Gags VDM outs. Wait til the vfl for the ins

Gags was pretty good, should have had a couple of goals. He won't get dropped with 19 disposals.

meenies
11-05-2024, 11:53 PM
Williams out for mine. Probably VDM injured.
tba in

Happy Days
11-05-2024, 11:54 PM
Apart from the obvious out I would be hesitant to change too much. They won by 16 goals.

Hotdog60
11-05-2024, 11:56 PM
If VDM doesn't get up what are the choices?
Sanders
McNeil
Scott
Jones

I would go Sanders but Jones might get the nod if he can do ok in the VFL and I'd say away from the other two.

bornadog
12-05-2024, 12:02 AM
Williams out for mine. Probably VDM injured.
tba in

You are a harsh man. Williams 29 disposals, 6 marks and 5 x I50s

whythelongface
12-05-2024, 12:07 AM

Williams was good tonight. Only player I can see being drooped is Bramble.

bornadog
12-05-2024, 12:31 AM

Yes agree on that

GVGjr
12-05-2024, 12:37 AM

I think we went in with 2 defenders more than ideal so perhaps Bramble is an omission chance.

Some interesting challenges for our defenders
Who takes Greene?
Who matches on Hogan, Riccardi and Cadman?
Then they have some some handy smaller forward.

I'm particularly interested in who Cleary, JJ, Dale and Duryea match up on.

Scorlibo
12-05-2024, 12:46 AM
I thought Bramble played better than he has been playing in recent times but it was a bit of a mixed bag, and there's a lot of competition for spots at half back at the moment. Freijah and Cleary both went about as well as you could expect, and would be unlucky to miss. JJ played a role filling in for Laith (maybe he continues in that role? Unless Charlie Clarke plays a good game for Footscray).

Gallagher is the only one for me that clearly needs a spell, probably a straight swap for Sanders, and Jamarra will be under pressure if Lobb performs well in the VFL.

Virgin-Dog
12-05-2024, 01:12 AM
I thought Bramble played better than he has been playing in recent times but it was a bit of a mixed bag, and there's a lot of competition for spots at half back at the moment. Freijah and Cleary both went about as well as you could expect, and would be unlucky to miss. JJ played a role filling in for Laith (maybe he continues in that role? Unless Charlie Clarke plays a good game for Footscray).

Gallagher is the only one for me that clearly needs a spell, probably a straight swap for Sanders, and Jamarra will be under pressure if Lobb performs well in the VFL.
Gallagher had career high 19 disposals, 8 score involvements and had our 3rd highest pressure acts behind Ed and Bont. He was unlucky to have no converted better, with just the 3 behinds.

He?s been quiet for a few weeks, but I thought tonight was a huge step in the right direction. I feel it?d be awful for his development to drop him now. Only thing that counts against him is the quiet 4th quarter, but the game was well and truly over by then

Scorlibo
12-05-2024, 01:22 AM
Gallagher had career high 19 disposals, 8 score involvements and had our 3rd highest pressure acts behind Ed and Bont. He was unlucky to have no converted better, with just the 3 behinds.

He?s been quiet for a few weeks, but I thought tonight was a huge step in the right direction. I feel it?d be awful for his development to drop him now. Only thing that counts against him is the quiet 4th quarter, but the game was well and truly over by then

I'm marking him down on those three missed shots. All of them were very gettable.

He had more touches but also looked like he had more midfield time, so he should be getting more touches. Didn't have any influence with the ball to my eye.

The pressure acts are really positive, his defensive work has probably kept him in the team and might continue to do so.

I just feel that he could benefit from some confidence building games back at Footscray as the quality seems to have dropped away from his game in the last month.

jDogs
12-05-2024, 02:59 AM
I reckon they'll just play JJ in the VDM role and put Cleary in the 22.

Virgin-Dog
12-05-2024, 03:20 AM
I'm marking him down on those three missed shots. All of them were very gettable.

He had more touches but also looked like he had more midfield time, so he should be getting more touches. Didn't have any influence with the ball to my eye.

The pressure acts are really positive, his defensive work has probably kept him in the team and might continue to do so.

I just feel that he could benefit from some confidence building games back at Footscray as the quality seems to have dropped away from his game in the last month.
I don?t think he plays the full season in the seniors - I do think VFL time is inevitable. Just doubt it comes this week especially when VDM is likely out injured, and we?ll miss his defensive pressure. Also helps his case when Weightman is out for a while longer

Hotdog60
12-05-2024, 08:23 AM
I thought Gags has had his best game so far this season and he wasn't the only one missing goals they should have got.
I like his composure and doesn't seem to panic. Yes he may need a spell at some time but if his stats are moving up I'd keep him in.

Dogs 24/7
12-05-2024, 09:21 AM
The chances of getting dropped managed or rested or whatever they call it is close to zero but outside of a couple of good games this year Ugle-Hagan has been disappointing and not just slightly disappointing. If it wasn't for his undoubted potential and the fact that he might break out and win us a game he should be due for a a couple of weeks at Footscray.He had a chance to fill his boots last night but he didnt contribute much to the win. He should be under the microscope for a break but wont be. We should bring in Lobb and play Darcy more as a permanent forward.

1eyedog
12-05-2024, 09:33 AM

Wouldn't even be discussed.

1eyedog
12-05-2024, 09:37 AM
The chances of getting dropped managed or rested or whatever they call it is close to zero but outside of a couple of good games this year Ugle-Hagan has been disappointing and not just slightly disappointing. If it wasn't for his undoubted potential and the fact that he might break out and win us a game he should be due for a a couple of weeks at Footscray.He had a chance to fill his boots last night but he didnt contribute much to the win. He should be under the microscope for a break but wont be. We should bring in Lobb and play Darcy more as a permanent forward.

We should stick fat with Marra for another few weeks he's a had a really tough month and think he just needs to play.

We may be gifting games a bit at present but the more games we get into him over the next two and half years the better off we'll be. Same goes for Darce imo.

Dogs 24/7
12-05-2024, 09:57 AM
We should stick fat with Marra for another few weeks he's a had a really tough month and think he just needs to play.

We may be gifting games a bit at present but the more games we get into him over the next two and half years the better off we'll be. Same goes for Darce imo.

With the senior team faltering and Footscray performing well Im dubious that we should have him floating around and being selective with efforts. You are obviously close with him and his family and probably others are here as well but why cant he work through his challenges at Footscray like most others would be? We need wins and based on what Im seeing so far hes not going to help us achieve that at the moment.

1eyedog
12-05-2024, 10:13 AM
I get it but a number of our young players are treading water a bit at the moment. He is still making a contribution though. He takes the heat off Naughton and he is one of our only forwards leading up and creating space in the forward line.

He should have had 3 goals last night but his kicking was off. Would 3 goals rather than 1.2 make a difference to you or is a body language thing?

Dogs 24/7
12-05-2024, 10:28 AM
I get it but a number of our young players are treading water a bit at the moment. He is still making a contribution though. He takes the heat off Naughton and he is one of our only forwards leading up and creating space in the forward line.

He should have had 3 goals last night but his kicking was off. Would 3 goals rather than 1.2 make a difference to you or is a body language thing?

Hes laconic and when a laconic player is down on form it looks worse than the more intense players and I hope I understand that but with Marra its beyond that.How many goals he could have kicked or what he achieved isnt my focus its more about if we should be accepting that hes not ready to play. Schache was laconic and copped it every time after a poor performance but we will of course accept it from Marra.

azabob
12-05-2024, 10:35 AM
I think we went in with 2 defenders more than ideal so perhaps Bramble is an omission chance.

Some interesting challenges for our defenders
Who takes Greene?
Who matches on Hogan, Riccardi and Cadman?
Then they have some some handy smaller forward.

I'm particularly interested in who Cleary, JJ, Dale and Duryea match up on.

Duyrea to Greene.
JOD to Cadman
Jones has to go to Hogan unfortunately. We will lose Jones intercepting ability but not sure we have anyone else to go to Hogan.
Keath to Riccardi.

azabob
12-05-2024, 10:39 AM
If VDM is injured I would bring in Arty Jones.

Cleary in for Bramble. We will lose some run but hopefully we gain some stability and better decision making with Cleary in the starting 22.

Grantysghost
12-05-2024, 10:58 AM
If VDM is injured I would bring in Arty Jones.

Cleary in for Bramble. We will lose some run but hopefully we gain some stability and better decision making with Cleary in the starting 22.

Not Clarke? He seems to be the first in the queue. I mean i know he made a few errors but his first qtr v Hawks wasn't too bad.

azabob
12-05-2024, 10:59 AM
Not Clarke? He seems to be the first in the queue. I mean i know he made a few errors but his first qtr v Hawks wasn't too bad.

Jones has pace and pressure. IMO he is more of a like for like than Clarke.

SquirrelGrip
12-05-2024, 05:39 PM
Tony Scott’s been off-Broadway. I’d bring him in to replace Laith.

ledge
12-05-2024, 06:17 PM
Jones and Clarke slowed similar figures today in the VFL and Scott was ok so I guess it’s why the match committee choose on the day.

Mantis
12-05-2024, 06:47 PM
For those looking at a match-up for Riccardi I wouldn?t think he?ll be playing as I just walked past him at the airport and he has his foot in a moon boot.

JanLorMill
12-05-2024, 09:08 PM
Tony Scott?s been off-Broadway. I?d bring him in to replace Laith.
Except that he doesn?t play as forward or is that quick. He is a midfield replacement.

Mofra
12-05-2024, 10:10 PM
For those looking at a match-up for Riccardi I wouldn?t think he?ll be playing as I just walked past him at the airport and he has his foot in a moon boot.
Riccardi doesn't bother me at all.

The past month with GWS shows there is one player you just have to clamp down to win - Lachie Whitfield.
Either West or Harmes is going to have a big task on the weekend.

Or we could just ignore GWS completely and focus on getting to that magic 100 mark number.

bornadog
12-05-2024, 10:23 PM
Out VDM, Bramble

In Sanders, Daniel

DadBod
13-05-2024, 12:46 AM
Players that are smashing on the door:
Lobb - FWD
Sanders - MID
Clarke - FWD
CD - Hybrid
Buku - DEF/FWD

Of the team that played: VDM, Gags, Maybe Bramble may get a rest.

Cleary replaces Bramble.
Harmes replaces VDM.
Sanders comes in.
Maybe Clarke gets another run FWD, or even Buku.

jeemak
13-05-2024, 02:30 AM
We don't get our first two goals without JUH. First he gets a bit lucky with the time given to him but manages to get hands out so Bont can get on the end of one. That was a ball he'd usually not dispose of and give away a free kick with.

Second, he's up the ground and controls a contested ball, lowers eyes out of congestion with a modified kick that looks like a hack that actually isn't to find Darcy. An awesome show of skill.

azabob
13-05-2024, 09:17 AM
Out VDM, Bramble

In Sanders, Daniel

I like the names on paper, but not sure they are the type of players we need against GWS. Both VDM and Bramble are quick, and Sanders and Daniel are the opposite.

I really think if VDM is out he needs to be replaced by a quick defensive player like Jones or McNeil.

What would you do with Cleary?

Dogs 24/7
13-05-2024, 09:40 AM
Sorry Im going to push the Marra isnt ready observation.

Out Ugle-Hagan (Managed) Vandermeer (Injured) and Bramble (Omitted)
In Lobb (Leave Darcy forward) Cleary (JJ plays forward) Daniel (plays as a defender)

bornadog
13-05-2024, 10:04 AM
I like the names on paper, but not sure they are the type of players we need against GWS. Both VDM and Bramble are quick, and Sanders and Daniel are the opposite.

I really think if VDM is out he needs to be replaced by a quick defensive player like Jones or McNeil.

Probably sub again.

MrMahatma
13-05-2024, 10:18 AM

Struggle to see how we give McNeil any more games, ever.

I'd go with Jones if it has to be one of those 2.

azabob
13-05-2024, 10:19 AM
Struggle to see how we give McNeil any more games, ever.

I'd go with Jones if it has to be one of those 2.

I agree on both accounts.

mighty_west
13-05-2024, 02:17 PM
In : Cleary, Daniel, Sanders, Khamis (if Jamarra is rested)

Out : VDM, Bramble, Gallagher (to be sub)

Cleary swaps with Gags as sub and stays in, Daniel forward and Sanders into the midfield mix.

IF Jamarra was given the week off Buku comes in and gives us that point of difference forward, plus we don't need Lobb to ruck with Darce giving Timmy a chop out.

bornadog
13-05-2024, 02:35 PM
In : Cleary, Daniel, Sanders, Khamis (if Jamarra is rested)

Out : VDM, Bramble, Gallagher (to be sub)

Cleary swaps with Gags as sub and stays in, Daniel forward and Sanders into the midfield mix.

IF Jamarra was given the week off Buku comes in and gives us that point of difference forward, plus we don't need Lobb to ruck with Darce giving Timmy a chop out.

Jamarra just had two weeks off. I know he should probably be dropped on form, but i wouldn't drop him

Axe Man
13-05-2024, 02:39 PM
Jamarra just had two weeks off. I know he should probably be dropped on form, but i wouldn't drop him

It's not going to do him any good playing in the VFL, he stays and works through his slump.

Sedat
13-05-2024, 02:46 PM
We don't get our first two goals without JUH. First he gets a bit lucky with the time given to him but manages to get hands out so Bont can get on the end of one. That was a ball he'd usually not dispose of and give away a free kick with.

Second, he's up the ground and controls a contested ball, lowers eyes out of congestion with a modified kick that looks like a hack that actually isn't to find Darcy. An awesome show of skill.
He needs to lift but he commands a lot of planning, time and respect from the opposition coaches box. It definitely helped Naughton and Darcy get off the chain this weekend. It's not really about how many goals are kicked by Marra individually but about how well our forward 6 functions as a group - the 3 talls getting separation and creating mismatches, and the smalls providing the defensive heat to ensure repeat entries and stop the D50 tsunami wave that GWS started the season so strongly with (which has almost disappeared the last month).

Marra could easily get on the scoreboard if GWS spends too much time planning on Naughton and Darcy (as could English drifting forward, notwithstanding his shithouse set shot conversion in recent weeks).

Massive game for our midfield group/English.

mighty_west
13-05-2024, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't drop or rest him either, but if we did.

Countrydog5
13-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Once again if Mara kicked straight this weekend we'd be lauding him for his game with 3 goals and a few score involvements. He'll come good and we have to keep playing him. He's understandably frustrated with some of our delivery into the forward line, and I reckon it's pretty fair to be getting ticked off when your advice / requests are repeatedly being ignored for another long bomb into congestion.

We lament it a lot, but if we played like geelong or sydney where quick ball movement and precision kicking left our forward line open for Mara to lead into he'd be having a field day every week. His playing style is not currently suited to our forward line structure, and that's on the coaching group to sort that out and get the best out of all our talls.

The criticism of Mara the last couple weeks has been harsh in my opinion. I agree his body language and effort has appeared poor recently when his form has been down, but we really are not using his strengths well at all. I've been to the last couple of games, and the amount of times he's comfortably beaten his defender on the lead only to be burnt entirely or for a propped kick sit on his head and allow the defender to catch up and spoil has been painful to watch.

The Underdog
13-05-2024, 03:31 PM
He needs to lift but he commands a lot of planning, time and respect from the opposition coaches box. It definitely helped Naughton and Darcy get off the chain this weekend. It's not really about how many goals are kicked by Marra individually but about how well our forward 6 functions as a group - the 3 talls getting separation and creating mismatches, and the smalls providing the defensive heat to ensure repeat entries and stop the D50 tsunami wave that GWS started the season so strongly with (which has almost disappeared the last month).

Marra could easily get on the scoreboard if GWS spends too much time planning on Naughton and Darcy (as could English drifting forward, notwithstanding his shithouse set shot conversion in recent weeks).

Massive game for our midfield group/English.

I think realistically if we're committed to these 3 talls, then we just have to play them together as much as possible. The more they play together the better the forward line should function long term. Marra still had opportunities last week, but even if one of the 3 misses out, hopefully the others are getting chances.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2024, 05:01 PM
TBH long term I just don't like 3 talls in the forward half of the ground.

While they are all mobile, the reality is that on transition at least one of them is going to struggle. I'd argue all 3 of Naughty/Marra/Darcy are in the top echelon of contested marking, but they can't mark it ALL the time and when they don't, it can be a real problem.

You get away with it playing average teams (see Norf in pre-season last year, Richmond last week) but against the top 6-8 evidence suggests otherwise.

Go_Dogs
13-05-2024, 05:14 PM

While they are all mobile, the reality is that on transition at least one of them is going to struggle. I'd argue all 3 of Naughty/Marra/Darcy are in the top echelon of contested marking, but they can't mark it ALL the time and when they don't, it can be a real problem.

You get away with it playing average teams (see Norf in pre-season last year, Richmond last week) but against the top 6-8 evidence suggests otherwise.

My counter to this is:

The group is still learning. How many times have we played the three of them (and without Lobb) together? I’m guessing but it must be less than 5 times? They’ll continue to improve.

Naughton has had a slightly down year (but is now improving) based on where we’d like to see him, while Darcy and Marra are very much still developing players who will frustrate with inconsistency still. Again, more growth here.

They’re slightly different players with their strengths and we need to be better at utilising them. Naughton further up the field seems to be working well, Darcy is hard to beat in a contested pack situation and Marra is a good short sharp lead player. They can all find a different pathway to goal.

I’m very much on board with playing the 3 keys and think it becomes a real difference for us compared to a lot of sides. If we get our ball use, structures behind the ball and mix of smaller / medium players right, no reason it isn’t our biggest strength.

PR0408
13-05-2024, 05:28 PM
Love it. Arty averages 1.8 tackles a game. No strength to tackle especially at the next lever. McNeil averages two tackles but gives us nothing offensively.
Clarke averages 5.1 tackles a game and 2 goals a game. I get it was a nervous debut but it?s happened to champions. If VDM out for me Clarke comes in.
He could have dropped his bundle and went through the motions but had a good purpose and intent yesterday.
I expect no changes though and that?s great for some stability.

bornadog
13-05-2024, 05:53 PM
Love it. Arty averages 1.8 tackles a game. No strength to tackle especially at the next lever. McNeil averages two tackles but gives us nothing offensively.
Clarke averages 5.1 tackles a game and 2 goals a game. I get it was a nervous debut but it?s happened to champions. If VDM out for me Clarke comes in.
He could have dropped his bundle and went through the motions but had a good purpose and intent yesterday.
I expect no changes though and that?s great for some stability.

VDM is not certain to play, so who would you promote.

Sedat
13-05-2024, 05:57 PM

I'd share your concerns if there were 1-2 lumbering key forwards in that lot, but Naughton and JUH are agile and very good when it hits the deck (Naughton also elite at the pressure stuff). As a comparison, is it that different to Cameron, Hawkins and Henry? Our 3 are all extremely dangerous aerially, especially when we get it in there quickly and deep. I also love Bont spending more time forward where he is a huge problem for opposition defenders to match up on - one of the benefits of Richards spending more time in the middle and being trusted to do so.

Where we aren't at the level of the better teams is with our small pressure forwards and high half forwards. Clarke and Jones making it will address this, but both are nowhere near the finished article. VDM is what he is - he does a power of unrewarded running, and to be fair to him he has contributed much more/stuffed up less in recent weeks - but he is no Myers or Close.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2024, 07:44 PM
My counter to this is:

The group is still learning. How many times have we played the three of them (and without Lobb) together? I?m guessing but it must be less than 5 times? They?ll continue to improve.

Naughton has had a slightly down year (but is now improving) based on where we?d like to see him, while Darcy and Marra are very much still developing players who will frustrate with inconsistency still. Again, more growth here.

They?re slightly different players with their strengths and we need to be better at utilising them. Naughton further up the field seems to be working well, Darcy is hard to beat in a contested pack situation and Marra is a good short sharp lead player. They can all find a different pathway to goal.

I?m very much on board with playing the 3 keys and think it becomes a real difference for us compared to a lot of sides. If we get our ball use, structures behind the ball and mix of smaller / medium players right, no reason it isn?t our biggest strength.

I understand the sentiment and in theory it sounds great - target the one who has a mismatch - but with the way teams set up it's kinda rare you get 1-v1 or even 2-v-2. In simple terms, the ball is going to hit the deck more than they mark it.

Additionally, I think having 2 key targets is enough. It can be tricky getting enough service to 2 at times, but 3? I'd argue that's almost impossible. That means at least 1 has to play a decoy role, and given the money all 3 will be commanding / the type of ball each would want coming to them, I just don't think it works.

If Darcy is as good as I think he'll be, I want it kicked to him a hell of a lot, not 'shared' amongst 2 others because everyone needs a lick of the icecream...

I'd share your concerns if there were 1-2 lumbering key forwards in that lot, but Naughton and JUH are agile and very good when it hits the deck (Naughton also elite at the pressure stuff). As a comparison, is it that different to Cameron, Hawkins and Henry? Our 3 are all extremely dangerous aerially, especially when we get it in there quickly and deep. I also love Bont spending more time forward where he is a huge problem for opposition defenders to match up on - one of the benefits of Richards spending more time in the middle and being trusted to do so.

Where we aren't at the level of the better teams is with our small pressure forwards and high half forwards. Clarke and Jones making it will address this, but both are nowhere near the finished article. VDM is what he is - he does a power of unrewarded running, and to be fir to him he has contributed much more/stuffed up less in recent weeks - but he is no Myers or Close.

Naughton is a gun on the ground, I don't think Marra is near it. Solid efforts at times but he's often very reactive and getting rebounded on.

For Geelong, Henry is a good third option and has some decent wheels so I'm not sure if I'd group him in as a key forward. I get our trio are agile for their size, but besides Naughton, the other 2 are never going to be as agile as some third tall rebounding defenders (IE. think Redman from Essendon).

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think when you're a quality key forward you want PLENTY of opportunity and responsibility, and having 3 genuine key targets goes against that.

meenies
13-05-2024, 10:03 PM
Out VDM (only if doesn’t come up)
in Arty for Sir Doug Nichols round or Clarke
sub keep Cleary

ledge
13-05-2024, 10:32 PM
Cleary deserves a start if room, he was extremely good when he came on.
Freijah had a good debut looked composed, the only issue I have is GWS are bigger bodied and he hasn’t got that yet.

angelopetraglia
13-05-2024, 11:04 PM
Cleary deserves a start if room, he was extremely good when he came on.
Freijah had a good debut looked composed, the only issue I have is GWS are bigger bodied and he hasn’t got that yet.

He looks a decent size for a first year player. Not a skinny kid.

bornadog
13-05-2024, 11:05 PM
Out VDM (only if doesn’t come up)
in Arty for Sir Doug Nichols round or Clarke
sub keep Cleary

Sanders also Indigenous

angelopetraglia
13-05-2024, 11:06 PM
https://staticg.sportskeeda.com/editor/2024/05/a8e8c-17153668397430-1920.jpg

bornadog
13-05-2024, 11:09 PM

First time I saw him play live, and I thought je was a great size. Ledge probably talking about strength, which he won't have too much of yet.

jeemak
13-05-2024, 11:42 PM
He's a relatively big and loping lad, but isn't hardened.

Once he does harden up, he'll be a weapon. The type of winger/ between the arcs player we haven't had on our list since forever. Think Andrew Embley from WCE.

ledge
14-05-2024, 12:24 AM

I think a seasoned player would be able to beat him one on one, I?m not saying he is small but look at the GWS players build and strength, they are a very physical team and him being just 18 and one pre season under his belt he will get beaten one out.
He will be a gem but horses for courses this week .

jeemak
14-05-2024, 01:01 AM
I think a seasoned player would be able to beat him one on one, I?m not saying he is small but look at the GWS players build and strength, they are a very physical team and him being just 18 and one pre season under his belt he will get beaten one out.
He will be a gem but horses for courses this week .

You're right, he's a puppy.

But he has big paws and will turn into something pretty intimidating at 191cm and possibly still growing.

Bullies
14-05-2024, 08:38 AM

Where we aren't at the level of the better teams is with our small pressure forwards and high half forwards. Clarke and Jones making it will address this, but both are nowhere near the finished article. VDM is what he is - he does a power of unrewarded running, and to be fir to him he has contributed much more/stuffed up less in recent weeks - but he is no Myers or Close. Totally agree with your assessment on the Big 3. I still don't know as to why we didn't go hard at Ginnivan when we knew we were going to miss out on Watson. He is exactly we need and needed at the time - smart small forward. He was gettable as well. Could also have been the difference between winning and losing those close ones.

Scorlibo
14-05-2024, 08:59 AM
Totally agree with your assessment on the Big 3. I still don't know as to why we didn't go hard at Ginnivan when we knew we were going to miss out on Watson. He is exactly we need and needed at the time - smart small forward. He was gettable as well. Could also have been the difference between winning and losing those close ones.

Did we know we were going to miss out on Watson? During the trade period all the noise was that we were trading into the high end of the draft with a mind to draft him. Then Hawthorn started firming to take him before our pick.

1eyedog
14-05-2024, 10:06 AM
Once again if Mara kicked straight this weekend we'd be lauding him for his game with 3 goals and a few score involvements. He'll come good and we have to keep playing him. He's understandably frustrated with some of our delivery into the forward line, and I reckon it's pretty fair to be getting ticked off when your advice / requests are repeatedly being ignored for another long bomb into congestion.

We lament it a lot, but if we played like geelong or sydney where quick ball movement and precision kicking left our forward line open for Mara to lead into he'd be having a field day every week. His playing style is not currently suited to our forward line structure, and that's on the coaching group to sort that out and get the best out of all our talls.

The criticism of Mara the last couple weeks has been harsh in my opinion. I agree his body language and effort has appeared poor recently when his form has been down, but we really are not using his strengths well at all. I've been to the last couple of games, and the amount of times he's comfortably beaten his defender on the lead only to be burnt entirely or for a propped kick sit on his head and allow the defender to catch up and spoil has been painful to watch.

We've always struggled to hit forwards inside the arc. He's young as well and coming on very nicely imo. He works hard and is one of the true straight line forwards we have, he runs himself into the ground and I reckon he's totally gassed by the time he gets his set shot opportunities. You can tell just by looking at him how hard he works. A few more preseasons will help that.

He's already better than Jack Watts. I'm glass half full with Marra.

ledge
14-05-2024, 10:09 AM
Did we know we were going to miss out on Watson? During the trade period all the noise was that we were trading into the high end of the draft with a mind to draft him. Then Hawthorn started firming to take him before our pick.

In hindsight I think we had in mind exactly what we did . We had Weightman and West.
We needed to start getting mids in.
We weren’t to know Weightman was going to get injured.
Smith,Sanders,Richards were our planned mid field into the future.
I still think a little is to be played out with Smith.

mighty_west
14-05-2024, 10:15 AM
Totally agree with your assessment on the Big 3. I still don't know as to why we didn't go hard at Ginnivan when we knew we were going to miss out on Watson. He is exactly we need and needed at the time - smart small forward. He was gettable as well. Could also have been the difference between winning and losing those close ones.

Do we know if we were actually a chance or did he simply choose the Hawks? the team he barracked for as a kid, likewise with Wingard (thank god he chose the Hawks) and Jack Martin? Two other smaller forwards in the past we "reportedly" went hard after.

Bullies
14-05-2024, 01:16 PM
Do we know if we were actually a chance or did he simply choose the Hawks? the team he barracked for as a kid, likewise with Wingard (thank god he chose the Hawks) and Jack Martin? Two other smaller forwards in the past we "reportedly" went hard after.I think some of his behaviours off the field were a concern.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 04:46 PM
GREATER Western Sydney has been dealt a double injury blow with Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash set to miss six weeks with calf injuries.

So GWS just lost their number #1 ranking player and their number #6 ranking player for this year.

bornadog
14-05-2024, 04:49 PM
GREATER Western Sydney has been dealt a double injury blow with Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash set to miss six weeks with calf injuries.

big losses

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 05:04 PM
GWS GIANTS v WESTERN BULLDOGS

Saturday May 18, 4:35pm at ENGIE Stadium

Giants’ Round 9 side

B: C.Idun, S.Taylor, H.Perryman

HB: L.Whitfield, J.Buckley, L.Ash

C: N.Haynes, J.Kelly, F.Callaghan

HF: B.Daniels, A.Cadman, T.Bedford

F: T.Greene - C, J.Hogan, H.Thomas

FOLL: K.Briggs, C.Ward, S.Coniglio

I/C: D.Jones, T.Green, H.Himmelberg, J.Riccardi, C.Stone

EMG: J.Peatling, J.Wehr, M.Gruzewski

Team Tips: The Giants have been dealt two huge injury blows, with Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash set to miss six weeks with calf tendon injuries. Both players suffered the setbacks against Essendon but played out the game before reporting soreness in the area, with scans confirming the severity of the damage. It leaves two big voids in Adam Kingsley’s line-up in the midfield and defence respectively. In terms of who could come in, Xavier O’Halloran responded to his dropping a fortnight ago, accruing 31 disposals, 11 clearances, 11 tackles, 10 inside 50’s and a goal in the reserves. Harry Rowston continues his strong VFL form, acquiring another 23 disposals, 10 tackles and a goal – and is certainly an option as a half-forward, while Josh Fahey (34 disposals) and Jacob Wehr (19 disposals, one goal) also played well as other potential options to be recalled. Conor Stone was subbed out in the last quarter, but looked good in his return – despite a low disposal count. Young forward and sub Harvey Thomas has been teetering on the edge of the team for a few weeks now and could be vulnerable at selection.

Bulldogs’ Round 9 side

B: L.Bramble, L.Jones, B.Dale

HB: T.Duryea, A.Keath, J.Johannisen

C: B.Williams, A.Treloar, J.Freijah

HF: L.Vandermeer, A.Naughton, R.Garcia

F: J.Harmes, J.Ugle-Hagan, R.West

FOLL: T.English, M.Bontempelli - C, E.Richards

I/C: L.Cleary, S.Darcy, H.Gallagher, J.Macrae, J.O’Donnell

EMG: R.Lobb, C.Daniel, A.Jones

Team Tips: The Bulldogs were flawless against the Tigers last Saturday night, but that’s not to say it won’t be a tough week at the selection table for Luke Beveridge and co. Joel Freijah played well on debut, but him and Luke Cleary may be vulnerable given they are the last players into the side. The availability of Laitham Vandermeer is still unclear, with the Dog subbed off in the second quarter with a bad shin. Should he be unavailable, there are a plethora of players from the VFL who could fill his void. Rory Lobb kicked four goals in the reserves, with an impressive 21 disposals and 28 hitouts to go with them. Dropped utility Buku Khamis also kicked a bag of four, while Charlie Clarke – who was also omitted – kicked 3.2 from 17 disposals. Ryley Sanders kicked 42 disposals, one goal and had 12 clearances in a damning reminder to Beveridge he’s a star of the future. The regularly overlooked Caleb Daniel had 26 disposals, 14 tackles and 10 clearances, and might be wondering what more he can do to earn a recall.

Bullies
14-05-2024, 07:42 PM
Am i allowed to say that we have been more unpredicatable out of the middle and moved it more quickly when Libber didn't play against Saints and Tigers? Libber comes straight back in but just saying.

ledge
14-05-2024, 08:00 PM
Am i allowed to say that we have been more unpredicatable out of the middle and moved it more quickly when Libber didn't play against Saints and Tigers? Libber comes straight back in but just saying.

I think Libbas weakness is speed on his feet and that’s where the games is atm.
Quick with hands and football nous but running speed isn’t his strength.

DadBod
15-05-2024, 09:45 PM

Libba doesn't need to be quick, he gets it to those that are quick. He sole purpose is to get it to those who can explode away. It's a simple role, but insanely important, and one that he almost does better than anyone else playing.

Grantysghost
15-05-2024, 10:05 PM
Libba may not play again, just steel yourself.

DadBod
16-05-2024, 12:30 AM
Libba may not play again, just steel yourself.

I think people are crazy if they don't get ready for it. A young family, 40 - 50 years still on the planet. That's far more important than the footy.

Mantis
16-05-2024, 07:57 AM

You could also say that our ability to defend on transition looks better without having all of Libba, Treloar and Bont in the middle.

Ed has a desire to defend which the others really don?t unless it?s in close or they can be bothered pushing themselves.

Bullies
16-05-2024, 09:31 AM
You could also say that our ability to defend on transition looks better without having all of Libba, Treloar and Bont in the middle.

Ed has a desire to defend which the others really don?t unless it?s in close or they can be bothered pushing themselves.
Garcia also very big on the defensive side as well when he goes in the middle as is Macrae.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2024, 10:19 AM

Ed has a desirbe but also the ability. Idk how much of the same thing they are, becomes such an ingrained habit I guess. Hard to just change via effort short term you have to balance it with winning the ball inside. But yeah he definitely has both the effort and ability but the others have one at most.

Ed makes Adz look better/more valuable. If he replaced Adz, I think he'd also make Libba more effective. The mix of Libba, Bont and Adz like a reverse Moneyball.

Grantysghost
16-05-2024, 10:24 AM
Ed has a desirbe but also the ability. Idk how much of the same thing they are, becomes such an ingrained habit I guess. Hard to just change via effort short term you have to balance it with winning the ball inside. But yeah he definitely has both the effort and ability but the others have one at most.

Ed makes Adz look better/more valuable. If he replaced Adz, I think he'd also make Libba more effective. The mix of Libba, Bont and Adz like a reverse Moneyball.
He also let's Bont be the cream more often.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2024, 10:31 AM
He also let's Bont be the cream more often.

Yep. He adds value to both Bont and Adz. I believe he'd alsdo with to add value to Libba if he was replacing Adz. Ed is well rounded with speed and defensive attributes, both sorely missing from our CBA rotations and our team in general (any team can do with added speed + defensive nous).

Ed, wherever we play him, is a player who adds to the 'whole being worth more than the sum of it's parts'.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Listening to Bevo this morning. Sounds like no change to the team. Bevo was confident that VFM will get up.

Mantis
16-05-2024, 12:05 PM
Yep. He adds value to both Bont and Adz. I believe he'd alsdo with to add value to Libba if he was replacing Adz. Ed is well rounded with speed and defensive attributes, both sorely missing from our CBA rotations and our team in general (any team can do with added speed + defensive nous).

Ed, wherever we play him, is a player who adds to the 'whole being worth more than the sum of it's parts'.

Except in the forward line, he struggles in that part of the ground and really should never set foot in that area as a start point.

Mantis
16-05-2024, 12:06 PM
Garcia also very big on the defensive side as well when he goes in the middle as is Macrae.

Garcia = yes, Macrae = can I geta hell NO!!

azabob
16-05-2024, 12:06 PM
Listening to Bevo this morning. Sounds like no change to the team. Bevo was confident that VFM will get up.

I didn't think VDM had been that bad the last few weeks?

Rocco Jones
16-05-2024, 12:10 PM
Except in the forward line, he struggles in that part of the ground and really should never set foot in that area as a start point.

I think he could improve forward with some time but yeah he looks lost there and why would we even bother? Even if he was 'good' forward, it's well below benchmark he has set. Ed is awesome down back, looks a jet in CBAs. If we want to add another bow, try him on wing perhaps? Gun CBA + all round small/medium defender is enough for me!

Yeah Macrae is with Adz and Libba in being a limited mid.

bornadog
16-05-2024, 12:35 PM

Agree, can't see a change unless VDM doesn't come up after training, but looks like he will be fine.

westbulldog
16-05-2024, 06:35 PM
Every time Vandermeer is out is a bonus. imo he is not AFL standard and neither are Khamis and McNeill. Clarke, Freijah, Sanders and Cleary will consign them to VFL.

Jeanette54
16-05-2024, 07:04 PM
I

Limited or not, all three continue to find the ball on numerous occasions, no matter who the opposition might be.

kruder
16-05-2024, 07:06 PM
Lets see what Cleary can do like to see him start over Bramble.

GVGjr
16-05-2024, 07:17 PM
So JJ is out with a hamstring injury. Daniel comes in to the 23.

The Doctor
16-05-2024, 07:35 PM
Did JJ train this week?

Danjul
16-05-2024, 07:38 PM
In rounds 7 and 8 Macrae led the team in tackles, and he only had 70% game time against Fremantle. Must count for something. Not only that he is close to our most efficient with ball in hand. And when you take time on ground into account he is still one of our best ball getters. Would be close to my first picked any game.

azabob
16-05-2024, 07:45 PM
GWS v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 18 May 4.35pm AEST
ENGIE Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park • Wangal
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, James O’Donnell
HB: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, James Harmes
HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Riley Garcia
F: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
INT: Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Luke Cleary, Harvey Gallagher, Joel Freijah
EMG: Rory Lobb, Arthur Jones, Anthony Scott

In: Caleb Daniel
Out: Jason Johannisen (hamstring)

azabob
16-05-2024, 07:46 PM
Giants

FB: Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Harry Perryman
C: Nick Haynes, Tom Green, Finn Callaghan
HF: Brent Daniels, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Conor Stone
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Darcy Jones, Xavier O’Halloran, Jacob Wehr, Aaron Cadman, Harvey Thomas

Ins: Xavier O’Halloran, Jacob Wehr
Outs: Josh Kelly, Lachie Ash (injured)

Emergencies: Lachlan Keeffe, James Peatling, Ryan Angwin

jeemak
16-05-2024, 08:41 PM

It never used to be the case with Jack. I think a bit like a lot of midfielders they get comfortable after a while, especially if they're prolific ball winners. We need to make the most of Ed prior to his inevitable transition into that space.

GVGjr
16-05-2024, 08:46 PM
Did JJ train this week?

Yes, both sessions. He seemed fine today. Perhaps it happened a bit later

azabob
16-05-2024, 08:51 PM
It never used to be the case with Jack. I think a bit like a lot of midfielders they get comfortable after a while, especially if they're prolific ball winners. We need to make the most of Ed prior to his inevitable transition into that space.

I was pleased to hear Sanders acknowledge that he has gone back to the vfl to work on his defensive running. Hopefully that sticks with him for his career.

But yeah, complacency can be a MoFo.

mjp
16-05-2024, 10:54 PM

I?ve been a critic but - what can I say...he?s passed the eye test since his return re defensive efforts.

jeemak
16-05-2024, 11:37 PM
I was pleased to hear Sanders acknowledge that he has gone back to the vfl to work on his defensive running. Hopefully that sticks with him for his career.

But yeah, complacency can be a MoFo.

I think it's why you can't be as homogenised as we have been with our mix over time. New blood keeps people on their toes.

Losing Smith this year has been a massive problem, something that's been lost in the commentary around where he will end up next year. In hindsight he should have been given more opportunity to put others under pressure these past couple of years.

Bullies
17-05-2024, 08:15 AM
Garcia = yes, Macrae = can I geta hell NO!! Couldn't disagree more with Macrae. He is excellent on the defensive side when in the middle. That is what we have missed as Bont, Treloar and Libber are one way. He maybe slow on the outside but his tackling is first class and underestimated by supporters.

Mantis
17-05-2024, 08:51 AM
Couldn't disagree more with Macrae. He is excellent on the defensive side when in the middle. That is what we have missed as Bont, Treloar and Libber are one way. He maybe slow on the outside but his tackling is first class and underestimated by supporters.

Yes, he is an excellent tackler, but his defensive transition running has been abysmal over the past 2-3 years... it's only been one pace which is a slow jog.

1eyedog
17-05-2024, 09:25 AM
I think he could improve forward with some time but yeah he looks lost there and why would we even bother? Even if he was 'good' forward, it's well below benchmark he has set. Ed is awesome down back, looks a jet in CBAs. If we want to add another bow, try him on wing perhaps? Gun CBA + all round small/medium defender is enough for me!

When you say limited what do you mean? Not Bont?

I'll agree that Jack and Libba don't have the wheels, although Libba can still move alright and Adz is not elite defensively (although his pressure / tackles numbers are up this season).

Every team has primary midfielders with shortcomings. FWIW I don't think Adz is limited as a midfielder at all as I said his defensive numbers are up, he hits the scoreboard, he kicks on both sides reasonably well and gets it a heap.

He's actually one of the most consistent performers outside of Bont in the team and plays at a high level pretty much every week.

He's also gone to half forward for us in the past and hit the scoreboard.

Ed's been a revelation in the middle but he does tend to butcher the ball badly at times and doesn't have Adz's IQ or hands in close, he's developing though but he certainly does have his limitations pretty much like 90% of the midfielders in the competition.

Maybe I'm missing something and you meant something else?

Rocco Jones
17-05-2024, 09:17 PM
When you say limited what do you mean? Not Bont?

I'll agree that Jack and Libba don't have the wheels, although Libba can still move alright and Adz is not elite defensively (although his pressure / tackles numbers are up this season).

Every team has primary midfielders with shortcomings. FWIW I don't think Adz is limited as a midfielder at all as I said his defensive numbers are up, he hits the scoreboard, he kicks on both sides reasonably well and gets it a heap.

He's actually one of the most consistent performers outside of Bont in the team and plays at a high level pretty much every week.

He's also gone to half forward for us in the past and hit the scoreboard.

Ed's been a revelation in the middle but he does tend to butcher the ball badly at times and doesn't have Adz's IQ or hands in close, he's developing though but he certainly does have his limitations pretty much like 90% of the midfielders in the competition.

Maybe I'm missing something and you meant something else?

Yeah good question. I think I mean more of an all rounder than a good or bad thing.

Adz defensive side has improved a bit but mostly offers speed and ability to find it.

Libba all about the contested ball.

Macrae an accumulator. Been terrible in transition as Mantis pointed out.

My issue isn't with the individuals, rather how they are as a collective. It's get the ball or we are stuffed, and not explosive when we do get it.