PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 11 vs Sydney Swans

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Ten match against Giants for our Round Eleven match against the Swans at Marvel on Thursday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
17-05-2024, 11:11 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:04 PM
JJ for Bramble
Buss for JOD

GVGjr
18-05-2024, 08:06 PM
JJ for Bramble
Buss for JOD

Who at the Swans would Buss match-up on?

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:13 PM
Who at the Swans would Buss match-up on?

Depends on who we want Jones on. But they’ve got McDonald, Amarty & Maclean if all fit.

Mofra
18-05-2024, 08:15 PM
Stiff to drop anyone after that.
May depend on JJ's fitness.

azabob
18-05-2024, 08:21 PM
JJ for Bramble
Buss for JOD

JOD form or to get a look at Buss?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-05-2024, 08:23 PM
Bramble has to be dropped.

I'd drop Marra too but I don't think we will.

Sedat
18-05-2024, 08:24 PM
We need to freshen up with a 5 day break after a hard slog in the wet. Would not surprise if we manage a couple.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:24 PM
JOD form or to get a look at Buss?

Sounds like Buss has put a great month together. He deserves a crack. If we want the extra height, maybe Cleary. But with the almost selection integrity we have, Buss deserves a debut.

jeemak
18-05-2024, 08:36 PM
I thought Marra actually tried all night and outside of his finishing which is entirely on him, the rub didn't go his way. He still too some good grabs. I'd retain him and heap the pressure on him to work it out, with a five day break focused on recovery and goal kicking only.

Early thoughts:

In - JJ
Out - Bramble

Sub - Cleary

GVGjr
18-05-2024, 08:39 PM
Bramble has to be dropped.

I'd drop Marra too but I don't think we will.

We won't drop Marra but he's really only had 2 good games out of 8 so he's been struggling for a while now.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-05-2024, 08:42 PM
We won't drop Marra but he's really only had 2 good games out of 8 so he's been struggling for a while now.

Yep.

If it was Lobb, we'd be calling for his head.

jeemak
18-05-2024, 08:43 PM

He's had four tackles as a struggling forward who didn't convert his chances. He kept presenting, but couldn't quite grab them outside of two very good marks. After his time off it's not quite working for him but I don't see how putting him in the twos helps him or us.

GVGjr
18-05-2024, 08:50 PM
He's had four tackles as a struggling forward who didn't convert his chances. He kept presenting, but couldn't quite grab them outside of two very good marks. After his time off it's not quite working for him but I don't see how putting him in the twos helps him or us.

From an effort perspective it was quite good and I think I mentioned that early on so it was a good step forward in that regard.
We aren't likely to drop him unless we use the 'managed' card because of a 5 day break but I don't necessarily think a couple of weeks at Footscray would be a bad thing. He will eventually come good, real good, but he's enduring a lean patch at the moment.

lemmon
18-05-2024, 08:50 PM
Out - Caleb
In - JJ

I'd probably rotate Bramble to sub, who I thought got better as the game went.

bornadog
18-05-2024, 09:19 PM
We need to freshen up with a 5 day break after a hard slog in the wet. Would not surprise if we manage a couple.
Good Point

1eyedog
18-05-2024, 10:48 PM
I'd drop Marra for Lobb. Trying hard but not doing enough to hold his spot at the moment.

I'm pretty worried about Bramble as well. I'd bring JJ in if fit or swap him and CD as the sub.

JanLorMill
18-05-2024, 11:19 PM
Lobb can only replace Darcy or English

Jasper
18-05-2024, 11:23 PM
I'd drop Marra for Lobb. Trying hard but not doing enough to hold his spot at the moment.

I'm pretty worried about Bramble as well. I'd bring JJ in if fit or swap him and CD as the sub.

Spot on but it's very unlikely to happen

Garcia appeared to be injured late in the game, Gallagher just a bit off the boil and Bramble started slowly in an unfamiliar role.
Is JJ a chance to come back? I doubt it with a 5 day turnaround. Sanders should be considered but wasn't great today from all accounts but on balance has to be considered if Garcia or Gallagher need a spell.
By the sounds of things we've got a few deserving types at Footscray.

Jasper
18-05-2024, 11:24 PM
Lobb can only replace Darcy or English

So Darcy couldn't replace Ugle-Hagan? Surely that isn't right.

Jasper
18-05-2024, 11:27 PM
James Jordon has been cubing the better midfielders in recent weeks so either he or Rowbottom will go to Bont. How do we help Bont out with the tags?

JanLorMill
18-05-2024, 11:32 PM
So Darcy couldn't replace Ugle-Hagan? Surely that isn't right.
I didn't say that. Darcy and Lobb doesn't work on the forward line

bornadog
18-05-2024, 11:33 PM

Garcia appeared to be injured late in the game, Gallagher just a bit off the boil and Bramble started slowly in an unfamiliar role.
Is JJ a chance to come back? I doubt it with a 5 day turnaround. Sanders should be considered but wasn't great today from all accounts but on balance has to be considered if Garcia or Gallagher need a spell.

Sanders was started well but faded in the second and third quarters. was better in the last, but not a huge game from him.

PR0408
19-05-2024, 12:12 AM

Garcia was subbed out tactically? Why you saying injured

angelopetraglia
19-05-2024, 12:24 AM
James Jordon has been cubing the better midfielders in recent weeks so either he or Rowbottom will go to Bont. How do we help Bont out with the tags?

If Richards continues his recent trajectory of improvement as a midfielder, that would help enormously. Shorlty they will need to tag Ed!!!

westbulldog
19-05-2024, 12:28 AM
In Busslinger Bendendo JJ (if fit)
Out Keath Vandermeer Daniel (if JJ fit)

azabob
19-05-2024, 08:50 AM

I think you are underestimating the stability Keath is providing down back.

JanLorMill
19-05-2024, 10:30 AM
Neither Keath or VDM are getting dropped

chef
19-05-2024, 10:38 AM

Agree, both playing their roles well.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2024, 10:39 AM

Yeah I thought he was done but he's had a great 2 weeks.

Moving like he did in 2021 too.

westbulldog
19-05-2024, 10:46 AM

So what does Vandermeer actually bring and do you think should be Keath be playing the rest of the season instead of Busslinger ?

JanLorMill
19-05-2024, 11:02 AM
So what does Vandermeer actually bring and do you think should be Keath be playing the rest of the season instead of Busslinger ?
Who is replacing VDM as a small fast forward that can kick a goal a week and is involved in other goals?
As for Keath he probably replaced Khamis which allowed JOD and Jones to play more freely. Keath’s experience has been valuable and replacing him with a first gamer along side JOD to play the top side is madness.
Neither are great but it’s the best we have.

Happy Days
19-05-2024, 11:04 AM
Out: Harmes

azabob
19-05-2024, 11:32 AM
Out: Harmes

Love it.

Biases confirmed.

whythelongface
19-05-2024, 11:37 AM
We can beat the Swans. They are playing bloody good footy but are not far off a loss.
Changes will be minimal- we need experience- that was evident in spades last night with Keath and Jones. Keath is not far off his best. This week is not a week for debutants.

Only change JJ for Bramble.

I can see why Bevo likes Bramble. Gets himself in good positions unfortunately just takes too long to make a decision or makes a poor one.

bornadog
19-05-2024, 11:43 AM
We can beat the Swans. They are playing bloody good footy but are not far off a loss.
Changes will be minimal- we need experience- that was evident in spades last night with Keath and Jones. Keath is not far off his best. This week is not a week for debutants.

Only change JJ for Bramble.

I can see why Bevo likes Bramble. Gets himself in good positions unfortunately just takes too long to make a decision or makes a poor one.

Bevo mentioned Bramble played wing last night. I can't see him being dropped.

Bigdog
19-05-2024, 11:44 AM
Minimal change.

JJ in as sub. Daniel out.

Poulter, Daniel, Sanders & Buss knocking on the doors.

angelopetraglia
19-05-2024, 11:53 AM
Bevo mentioned Bramble played wing last night. I can't see him being dropped.

Agree. He complimented him on how had adjusted for the team from HB to Wing. He ain't getting dropped.

Hotdog60
19-05-2024, 01:31 PM
You could swap Cleary for Busslinger if you were going to make any changes. Not saying Cleary was bad but is Busslinger playing better and give us a better option. Other wise I think you back the team in.

azabob
19-05-2024, 01:36 PM
You could swap Cleary for Busslinger if you were going to make any changes. Not saying Cleary was bad but is Busslinger playing better and give us a better option. Other wise I think you back the team in.

Better option for what? I see them as totally different players.

A backline of Jones, Keath, JOD and Busslinger would be a recipe for disaster.

bornadog
19-05-2024, 01:43 PM

four players over 198cm, would be a disaster

DOG GOD
19-05-2024, 01:57 PM
Yeah I thought he was done but he's had a great 2 weeks.

Moving like he did in 2021 too.

Still goes to ground far too often, and turns like the titanic…yeah his 2 games have been solid, let’s see what Syd, Coll and Bris show of him.

bornadog
19-05-2024, 02:19 PM
Still goes to ground far too often, and turns like the titanic…yeah his 2 games have been solid, let’s see what Syd, Coll and Bris show of him.

Personally I think he is just hanging in there. He has some experience, and we don't have anyone else. looks like Gardner is injured again, so he is lucky.

Hotdog60
19-05-2024, 02:46 PM

Is 70mm a lot of difference and are they any more mobile than each other? Busslinger is a bigger body.
As I said I think you back the team in.

Bullies
19-05-2024, 02:50 PM
I thought we had look so much better down back with Keath back in. He is also doing his role on the key forwards. Buku could intercept but can't defend.

Did JJ not tweak his hammy? If so would he not be on the minimum 21 days for a strain especially with his history.

Sanders still a few weeks off by all accounts and slowly progressing on his defensive game.

mjp
19-05-2024, 03:16 PM
...we need experience...

We sure do. We conceded an early goal in that Freijah/JOD D50 exit calamity....that was just 2x inexperienced players not reading the room. Keath has been excellent.

...Changes will be minimal...

Well, it's a short week so I wouldn't rule anything out right now.

kruder
19-05-2024, 05:09 PM
Bevo mentioned that it was handy that Caleb only played a few minutes. wonder if that was reference to the even performance or the short break coming up?

angelopetraglia
19-05-2024, 08:19 PM
Bevo mentioned that it was handy that Caleb only played a few minutes. wonder if that was reference to the even performance or the short break coming up?

Yes. Absolutely.

jeemak
19-05-2024, 08:41 PM

Definitely. :D

westbulldog
20-05-2024, 12:15 PM

Keath is the past, if you want to live there then you are welcome.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 12:19 PM

Agree, however, we can't have a backline with JOD 19 games, Cleary 7, Freijah 2 and Buss comes in with Zero.

mjp
20-05-2024, 12:23 PM

That's fair - but if he's in the side and performing well, why would we change it?

There should still have to be selection integrity and it what world would he be left out right now? He's one of 2-key defenders for a side that is in the hunt to play finals footy and is coming up against the TOP SIDE.

EasternWest
20-05-2024, 12:31 PM

I don't really get this take. Jones is 33, he's literally not the future either and yet nobody has this take on him.

Fact is we've looked heaps better down back with Keath in the team. And we're playing in the now, so while we have to look forward, we can't sacrifice the present.

Grantysghost
20-05-2024, 12:45 PM
I don't really get this take. Jones is 33, he's literally not the future either and yet nobody has this take on him.

Fact is we've looked heaps better down back with Keath in the team. And we're playing in the now, so while we have to look forward, we can't sacrifice the present.
Your actual posts are getting better than your shit posts....

GVGjr
20-05-2024, 01:08 PM

Too often we cancel out players because of age rather than form. Jones has been excellent and there are currently no signs that he can't go on next season.
I get that there isn't a view that Keath will go on but it does highlight that it's inconsistent to look past anything other than displayed form and Keath earned his way in.

azabob
20-05-2024, 01:26 PM

That is the Covid talking.

mighty_west
20-05-2024, 02:07 PM

I was guilty of placing him as the break glass only option at the start of the season, basically because i thought his body was shot, there were times he was looking like he was a 50 year old running around, yet has been in good form in the VFL and has played well in the AFL side and given the backline much needed stability.

There are 40 odd players on the list and any of those 40 odd players should be playing if form warrants it, who know he may only play a few more games, we may give Buss a run at some stage at his expense, but for now Khamis was struggling and not defending so Keath deserved it and was given the nod, all of this whilst still bringing in younger players, so if a player who is "in the past" yet still helps our side evolve and helps the younger players around him, then so be it, it's all about team balance and you simply cannot play too many young lads, you still need experience around them.

EasternWest
20-05-2024, 03:47 PM

This is the darkest timeline and my greatest fear. Take away my shitpost and I am nothing.

EasternWest
20-05-2024, 03:48 PM
Too often we cancel out players because of age rather than form. Jones has been excellent and there are currently no signs that he can't go on next season.
I get that there isn't a view that Keath will go on but it does highlight that it's inconsistent to look past anything other than displayed form and Keath earned his way in.

Gotta reward form, that's all there is too it.

angelopetraglia
20-05-2024, 04:41 PM
JJ 100% not playing this weekend and will not be seen until ~ round 16. More info in the injury thread.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 05:06 PM
No Change

Mantis
20-05-2024, 05:08 PM
Out: JJ

In Poulter - played a great game v GWS. 30 disposals and 2 goals

JJ didn't play against GWS.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 05:11 PM
JJ didn't play against GWS.

whoops, sorry. Changed to "No Change"

Ozza
20-05-2024, 08:19 PM
I think with the short break, I'd like for us to make some changes. Gotta think Daniel is pretty fresh.

DadBod
20-05-2024, 10:38 PM

I wouldn't be dropping Keath. He goes to McDonald who hasn't been a prolific scorer but he should be able to handle him if out midfield is working properly.

Jones to Amarty who is doing some nice things.

Doc to Papley.

Freij to Jordan.

Dale to Adams.

It's going to be an interesting game. Could really make our season ala 2015.
Cleary or JOD to Harward.

FrediKanoute
20-05-2024, 11:16 PM
I think maybe one or two changes, mainly to freshen a couple of guys up. GWS game was in heavy conditions and a short break wont help. Maybe Daniel in for Gallagher.

angelopetraglia
20-05-2024, 11:18 PM
The VFL boys travelled and also played on the same day. Are we gaining that much by playing a VFL player who played on the weekend ahead of an AFL player? Both travelled. Both off a five day break. Maybe the AFL game was in the wet and is a higher intensity.

But the sole reason could not be to bring in some fresher players. They are all in a similar boat. The only player who is fresh is CD.

jeemak
21-05-2024, 01:32 AM
VFL to AFL is a different step in intensity and effort. A player fit enough to play at the latter on a five day break is likely to be fresher coming out of the twos.

GVGjr
21-05-2024, 08:06 AM
VFL to AFL is a different step in intensity and effort. A player fit enough to play at the latter on a five day break is likely to be fresher coming out of the twos.

Perhaps that is the case with a mature player but slightly less so with a younger guy?

mjp
22-05-2024, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't be dropping Keath. He goes to McDonald who hasn't been a prolific scorer but he should be able to handle him if out midfield is working properly.

Jones to Amarty who is doing some nice things.

Doc to Papley.

Freij to Jordan.

Dale to Adams.

It's going to be an interesting game. Could really make our season ala 2015.
Cleary or JOD to Harward.

I think you mean "Jordan to Dale"...
Who takes Heeney when he's there??

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 07:15 PM
Word is that Cleary could be out.

JanLorMill
22-05-2024, 07:18 PM
Cleary might as well pack his bags.

JanLorMill
22-05-2024, 07:18 PM
Scott in, I don’t like it

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 07:22 PM
Scott in, I don’t like it

Most likely the sub. Who was your preference?

angelopetraglia
22-05-2024, 07:22 PM
THURSDAY, MAY 23
Western Bulldogs v Sydney at Marvel Stadium, 7.30pm AEST

WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: A.Scott
Out: L.Cleary (omitted)

Last week's sub: Caleb Daniel

SYDNEY

In: M.Roberts
Out: R.Fox (shoulder)

Last week's sub: Braeden Campbell

JanLorMill
22-05-2024, 07:25 PM
Most likely the sub. Who was your preference?
Cleary wasn?t that bad
We are going no where with Scott

HOSE B ROMERO
22-05-2024, 07:26 PM
Scott was very good last week and generally reliable when at the top level. Bad luck for Cliz but he'll be back.

hujsh
22-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Wonder what the plan is with Caleb? Didn't seem to dominate VFL level. Feels a bit strange having him return before doing so

Testekill
22-05-2024, 07:27 PM
I have no idea what Cleary is doing wrong to not be able to keep a spot in the team. I thought that Cleary played his role in defence well while Bramble was pretty rubbish but apparently because they chose to move Bramble to the wing he kept his spot even though he has plenty of panic turnovers coming out of defence.

edit: Scott is a player that is ideal as a sub because of his ability to play on multiple lines so I'm not bothered by him coming in but I just don't get why the club doesn't give Cleary an extended run.

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 07:29 PM
Cleary wasn?t that bad
We are going no where with Scott

No he was fine but what match-up did you seem him getting for tomorrow night. I think we have gone into games with one too many defenders anyway. I suspect Daniel will play in the back line.

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 07:30 PM
Wonder what the plan is with Caleb? Didn't seem to dominate VFL level. Feels a bit strange having him return before doing so

Perhaps he will be part of our backline rotations

azabob
22-05-2024, 07:33 PM
Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans
Thursday May 23, 7:30pm AEST
Marvel Stadium, Docklands • Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Channel 7, Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, James O’Donnell
HB: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, James Harmes
HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Jack Macrae
F: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
INT: Caleb Daniel, Riley Garcia, Anthony Scott, Harvey Gallagher, Joel Freijah
EMG: Rory Lobb, Luke Cleary, Ryley Sanders

In: Anthony Scott
Out: Luke Cleary (omitted)

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2024, 08:00 PM
The disappointing thing with Cleary is that nobody is any the wiser if he's worth keeping on the list / if he's going to make it, and yo-yoing him in and out isn't getting us any closer to forming a decision.

Feel like most players, he's somebody that needs 5-6 weeks and needs clarity of role / confidence that we're playing him week in and week out.

I get it's a big game tomorrow, but it's not like Scott is going to be the difference.

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 08:03 PM
The disappointing thing with Cleary is that nobody is any the wiser if he's worth keeping on the list / if he's going to make it, and yo-yoing him in and out isn't getting us any closer to forming a decision.

Feel like most players, he's somebody that needs 5-6 weeks and needs clarity of role / confidence that we're playing him week in a d week out.

I get it's a big game tomorrow, but it's not like Scott is going to be the difference.

Just a pure guess here: Given we sort of flagged that Daniel would be in the 22 we were considering using Cleary as the sub this week but went with a more versatile player.
Lets see if he bounces right back into consideration.

mjp
22-05-2024, 08:14 PM
I have no idea what Cleary is doing wrong...

Stop double grabbing ground balls.
He's not trust-worthy right now. I like his game but 100% get this...the coaches wouldn't have liked a couple of contests on the weekend - one 20m out left back pocket, one on the 'near to camera' wing just forward of the centre square (we were kicking right of screen)....

Simple feedback is be a bit stronger young fella. Basically needed to attack the footy with a bit more power and drive through it rather than waiting and snatching at the thing.

MrMahatma
22-05-2024, 08:15 PM
Just a pure guess here: Given we sort of flagged that Daniel would be in the 22 we were considering using Cleary as the sub this week but went with a more versatile player.

I think that’s the case. If CD is coming in, someone goes to sub and maybe Cleary isn’t the best for that role - hopefully we’re still right in the match when the sub is needed.

It was prob gonna be him or Bramble. It seems most people on here are hating on Bramble. I don’t mind him.

Before I Die
22-05-2024, 08:18 PM
To me, this change seems bleeding obvious and I can?t understand why anyone would have any qualms with it.
It was clearly stated that Daniel was going back into the twos to find some form in the hbf role where he excelled a number of years ago. He has performed well enough to make it into the 23 and last week was hardly used, making him the freshest player on the list. He brings experience and elite skills, but lacks pace. The player he replaces is inexperienced, has good skills, and also lacks pace.
Hopefully Cleary will make it, but he is currently borderline at the best.
This is an important game (understatement) and hopefully the resurrection of Daniel as an elite hbf, especially now that JJ is out for an extended period.
Scott was a regular last year and has had an injury interrupted year in 2024. He is one of our most flexible players, a perfect fit for the sub role, and it is great to have him back.

mighty_west
22-05-2024, 08:22 PM
I'd say Scott simply comes in as sub and is more versatile than Cleary if there wasn't a clear match up for him, a bit stiff but it's up to him now to knock the door down and demand his spot back.

G-Mo77
22-05-2024, 08:49 PM
What a terrible selection. One change is fine but to a very ordinary player. What a waste!

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2024, 08:50 PM
He's not trust-worthy right now. I like his game but 100% get this...the coaches wouldn't have liked a couple of contests on the weekend - one 20m out left back pocket, one on the 'near to camera' wing just forward of the centre square (we were kicking right of screen)....

Simple feedback is be a bit stronger young fella. Basically needed to attack the footy with a bit more power and drive through it rather than waiting and snatching at the thing.

While I don't disagree, the feedback to Bramble and even Gallagher would be interesting.

I like Gags but do think he's being given considerable more rope than others (stop trying to kick the ball off the ground Gags), and I just don't see it with Bramble (doesn't win the ball and doesn't defend well, kicking/decision making is suspect)

whythelongface
22-05-2024, 08:55 PM
What a terrible selection. One change is fine but to a very ordinary player. What a waste!

I understand what you are saying but Scott is the perfect sub as he can play many positions. Better of continuing to develop Cleary at Footscray then using him as a sub. Scott possibly should be our permanent sub given his age bracket and versatility.

bornadog
22-05-2024, 09:02 PM
I understand what you are saying but Scott is the perfect sub as he can play many positions. Better of continuing to develop Cleary at Footscray then using him as a sub. Scott possibly should be our permanent sub given his age bracket and versatility.

I am a fan of Scott. He is tough as nails and kicks the ball beautifully, and agree the perfect sub.

JanLorMill
22-05-2024, 09:10 PM

Mistakes are made by others as well. Khamis was given 6? weeks making mistakes. JOD too

kruder
22-05-2024, 10:25 PM
FWIW Gullen was saying on the midweek tackle that the rumour out of the kennel is that we are sore coming out of a 5 day break. I'm guessing he spent hours on the phones today to come up with this?

Massive game for the club this we desperately need to continue to build momentum.

angelopetraglia
22-05-2024, 11:27 PM
Treloar on his podcast with Dunks said he was shaking a pretty bad cold, saying that the lack of sleep after a hard travel schedule had taken a toll. He was quite nasally . Hopefully he can be 100% come tomorrow night.

soupman
22-05-2024, 11:29 PM

Who wouldn't be an ordinary player? We are picking from our reserves, if they were better than ordinary they would already be selected.

Scorlibo
22-05-2024, 11:29 PM

I'd wager he'll bounce back, but won't be considered again until next year. Bramble or Gallagher would have also been fine subs.

That's all well and good but how about the other five or so inexperienced guys who have had equally problematic weaknesses in their games but have been given a good run?

It's really not my intention to pot any of these guys, and I like the approach of blooding the future, but Gallagher, Bramble, O'Donnell, Khamis, Sanders have all struggled at the level and been given great exposure nonetheless. Why is it different with Cleary? He's now played 4 and a half games at senior level over three years, never having played more than two games consecutively.

bornadog
22-05-2024, 11:40 PM
Who wouldn't be an ordinary player? We are picking from our reserves, if they were better than ordinary they would already be selected.

Scott played 22 games last year

soupman
22-05-2024, 11:44 PM
Scott played 22 games last year

I think Scott is fine. Very solid role player. More questioning what wouldn't be an ordinary selection.

Mantis
23-05-2024, 07:47 AM
That's all well and good but how about the other five or so inexperienced guys who have had equally problematic weaknesses in their games but have been given a good run?

It's really not my intention to pot any of these guys, and I like the approach of blooding the future, but Gallagher, Bramble, O'Donnell, Khamis, Sanders have all struggled at the level and been given great exposure nonetheless. Why is it different with Cleary? He's now played 4 and a half games at senior level over three years, never having played more than two games consecutively.

I like some of the attributes that JOD has, but he?s costing us goals every week with poor defensive actions.

The 2 goals that Greene kicked from forward half stoppages were when he was opposed to JOD.

In the first goal Greene moved through the stoppage unopposed and when he took possession he was 2m in front of his opponent.

For the second one JOD allowed Greene to get goal side and then copped a block. He tried to hand over to Dale who slipped over the Greene kicked the goal.

These defensive lapses are happening too regularly in our backline and it needs to get sorted out. We can cover it in our blow out wins, but they continually hold us back in close games which have all gone the wrong way recently.

I?m all for developing players but they simply need to show improvement and stop making the same mistakes time and time again.

Bullies
23-05-2024, 08:48 AM
Horses for ocurses this week. Swans are big boys and strength down back will be needed. Scott a bigger body. Cleary looks like he needs another pre season but shows a bit.

Bullies
23-05-2024, 08:55 AM
I like some of the attributes that JOD has, but he?s costing us goals every week with poor defensive actions.

The 2 goals that Greene kicked from forward half stoppages were when he was opposed to JOD.

In the first goal Greene moved through the stoppage unopposed and when he took possession he was 2m in front of his opponent.

For the second one JOD allowed Greene to get goal side and then copped a block. He tried to hand over to Dale who slipped over the Greene kicked the goal.

These defensive lapses are happening too regularly in our backline and it needs to get sorted out. We can cover it in our blow out wins, but they continually hold us back in close games which have all gone the wrong way recently.

I?m all for developing players but they simply need to show improvement and stop making the same mistakes time and time again. Greene is a unique footballer and he will kick goals on anyone no matter where you stand or who you are.

JOD probably not ready to play on someone Greene's standard but he is learning very quickly. For someone who has only played 20+ games of Senior football he is tracking rather well. The quicker he gets to 50 games the better for us as he will be a player.

bornadog
23-05-2024, 10:27 AM
Cleary looks like he needs another pre season but shows a bit.

He is 22 years old and been around 4 years - he needs to come good or he will be ripe for delisting

Greene is a unique footballer and he will kick goals on anyone no matter where you stand or who you are.

JOD probably not ready to play on someone Greene's standard but he is learning very quickly. For someone who has only played 20+ games of Senior football he is tracking rather well. The quicker he gets to 50 games the better for us as he will be a player.

18 games only

azabob
23-05-2024, 10:44 AM
He is 22 years old and been around 4 years - he needs to come good or he will be ripe for delisting

18 games only

Rumour has it Cleary is contracted until 2025. Not sure if we can confirm this rumour or not...

GVGjr
23-05-2024, 10:51 AM
Rumour has it Cleary is contracted until 2025. Not sure if we can confirm this rumour or not...

From the club website 5 Apr 2023

Emerging defender Luke Cleary has signed a two-year contract extension at the Western Bulldogs, keeping the youngster at the Club until at least the end of 2025.

The 21-year-old has played four games of senior football since joining the Bulldogs in 2021, selected at Pick 61 in the National Draft.

The Sandringham junior has impressed at VFL level, using his elite foot skills and ability to read the play to contribute strongly for the Footscray side.

Cleary couldn’t be more excited to remain at the Kennel for a further two seasons.

bornadog
23-05-2024, 10:52 AM

He needs to come good

hujsh
23-05-2024, 10:58 AM

Drafted in '21 so this is his 3rd year in the system. Was an overager though so 19 when drafted

GVGjr
23-05-2024, 10:59 AM
He needs to come good

Agree, but he does have time. We don't delist players with a year or two to go on their contract unless there are attitude issues and in this case there isn't.

josie
23-05-2024, 11:32 AM
Cleary needs to bulk up so he can hold his ground.Hoping Duryea can mentor him.

Neat disposal, thinks well through most situations. I?m ok with re-signing.

Axe Man
23-05-2024, 12:02 PM
From the club website 5 Apr 2023

Emerging defender Luke Cleary has signed a two-year contract extension at the Western Bulldogs, keeping the youngster at the Club until at least the end of 2025.

The 21-year-old has played four games of senior football since joining the Bulldogs in 2021, selected at Pick 61 in the National Draft.

The Sandringham junior has impressed at VFL level, using his elite foot skills and ability to read the play to contribute strongly for the Footscray side.

Cleary couldn’t be more excited to remain at the Kennel for a further two seasons.

How on earth did you find information such as this?

bornadog
23-05-2024, 12:03 PM
How on earth did you find information such as this?

Google is your friend :D

jeemak
23-05-2024, 12:15 PM
Google is your friend :D

It's a shame nobody's kept a repository of this information here.

Axe Man
23-05-2024, 07:36 PM
O'Donnell out with illness, Sanders in as the sub.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2024, 07:39 PM

Not a like for like at all.

Scorlibo
23-05-2024, 07:40 PM

Presumably Williams to roll back and Scott to the wing.

Grantysghost
23-05-2024, 07:50 PM
This coupled with Treloar saying he had a cold, lets hope FLiRT the new covid strain (i think ive got) hasn't gone through the place.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 12:40 AM
Treloar on his podcast with Dunks said he was shaking a pretty bad cold, saying that the lack of sleep after a hard travel schedule had taken a toll. He was quite nasally . Hopefully he can be 100% come tomorrow night.

I did not thinkg Ads was at his best tonight. Still solid. Especially early, but faded. I'm sure he was not 100%.

jeemak
24-05-2024, 01:26 AM
I did not thinkg Ads was at his best tonight. Still solid. Especially early, but faded. I'm sure he was not 100%.

Wouldn't be surprised if a few of the lads are the same then, and from experience it's not the immediate game after a virus you have to worry about. It's the next one.

You can get yourself up after being sick, but the fatigue created by being sick and then playing a game of footy really catches up with you the week after.