GVGjr
29-03-2024, 08:44 AM
Please list 3 things learned from our R3 encounter vs West Coast

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 09:57 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
31-03-2024, 04:29 PM
1. 19 more scoring shots in the last two games for 21 Goals, -2 Behinds. Great kicking.
2. SSP Rookie picks are for cash converter types. Baker & Bramble repaying the faith.
3. One rain doesn’t end the drought, but credit to VDM.

bornadog
31-03-2024, 05:24 PM
1. We are dangerous when we play the way we did - bring on Geelong

2. We played 10 players with less than 50 games - future looks bright

3. Hard to keep Bont out of the game - even when you tag him

azabob
31-03-2024, 05:40 PM
1. Dare I say our backline actually have system and structure? Second week in a row!

2. Dare I say our back half now has an intercept game? Second week in a row!

3. I am loving the way we are introducing Ryley Sanders into the midfield. Today he attend every centre bounce in the second quarter maybe bar one and the same last week (heavily attended CBA in the third quarter) V the Suns.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-03-2024, 05:44 PM
1. Dare I say our backline actually have system and structure? Second week in a row!

2. Dare I say our back half now has an intercept game? Second week in a row!

3. I am loving the way we are introducing Ryley Sanders into the midfield. Today he attend every centre bounce in the second quarter maybe bar one and the same last week (heavily attended CBA in the third quarter) V the Suns.

I'm a bit worried about our backline without Jones. He's awesome. But an injury to him and the cupboards bare.

HOSE B ROMERO
31-03-2024, 06:09 PM
1. Good sides go for the kill when playing poor teams and we were relentless.

2. Take a bow Laith. I love seeing whipping boys respond.

3. If the sonic lightshow that is Marvel is not bad enough, now they've introduced a friggin' smoke machine.

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 06:19 PM
1 - We are often criticized for bringing in cash converter type players from other club but Bramble has made an impact in his 3 games for us.
2 - Vandermeer has now reset expectations on what he is capable of playing like. It's his time to win over some of our supporter base.
3 - I'm now questioning if we should just accept that (our) Bailey Williams is a more natural defender than winger.

bornadog
31-03-2024, 06:24 PM
1. Good sides go for the kill when playing poor teams and we were relentless.

2. Take a bow Laith. I love seeing whipping boys respond.

3. If the sonic lightshow that is Marvel is not bad enough, now they've introduced a friggin' smoke machine.

There was no smoke machine. The whole weather is smoky across Melbourne

Mofra
31-03-2024, 06:26 PM
1. Naughton is a great VC. Was absolutely selfless today. Countless blocks and knock-ons to advantage of teammates, and covered more ground than he seems to have been doing in all the years prior.

2. VDM covers a lot of ground and finally got reward for effort.

3. Bevo is now 'protecting' our stars a lot better than he did last year. Bont forward for a lot of the second half, subbing off Libba, and Gags getting CBAs in the last (again). Bodes well for later in the season, especially compared to last year.

Glove38
31-03-2024, 06:33 PM
1. Darcy is going to be a super player. Little glimpses each week of things other players just can't do
2. We knew it, but geez Caleb's clean hands on the half-volley are incredible
3, Not often our boys smother as much they did today . That desperation when you are clearly on top shows the team are happy to do the little things. Loved it

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 06:35 PM
3. Bevo is now 'protecting' our stars a lot better than he did last year. Bont forward for a lot of the second half, subbing off Libba, and Gags getting CBAs in the last (again). Bodes well for later in the season, especially compared to last year.

Great pick-up. I wonder if he just has a deeper list and one that he feels he can trust more? Having confidence in Sanders probably helps with the midfield rotations.

SquirrelGrip
31-03-2024, 06:38 PM
1. Darcy provides more to our structure than Lobb. It enables Tim to run deep forward more often, enabling two great goals and deserved another with that fantastic handball chain.

2. Wet Toast Beagles continued to push our talls dangerously under the ball. Barass is the worst offender, but they were doing it at both ends and the umpires ignored it. Having said that, together Marra and Naughty took 17 marks.

3. Our older players still have the hunger - JJ, Treloar, Duryea. They aren’t dropping off anytime soon.

azabob
31-03-2024, 06:39 PM
1 - We are often criticized for bringing in cash converter type players from other club but Bramble has made an impact in his 3 games for us.
2 - Vandermeer has now reset expectations on what he is capable of playing like. It's his time to win over some of our supporter base.
3 - I'm now questioning if we should just accept that (our) Bailey Williams is a more natural defender than winger.

I think based on last week and this week Williams is a defender. We need to push Dale to a wing and have one of Gallagher, Poulter and Baker on the other.

bornadog
31-03-2024, 06:40 PM
I think based on last week and this week Williams is a defender. We need to push Dale to a wing and have one of Gallagher, Poulter and Baker on the other.

West was on the wing a bit today

Mofra
31-03-2024, 06:41 PM
Right now, Gags and Baker are our first choice wings. I would not have picked this a month ago

bornadog
31-03-2024, 06:42 PM
Right now, Gags and Baker are our first choice wings. I would not have picked this a month ago

Gags also started HFF a few times

azabob
31-03-2024, 06:59 PM

Crazy isn’t it?

A month ago I think we all hoped Gallagher would be but we had our doubts.

hujsh
31-03-2024, 06:59 PM
Great pick-up. I wonder if he just has a deeper list and one that he feels he can trust more? Having confidence in Sanders probably helps with the midfield rotations.
Helps when you're clearly in front and don't have to worry about winning the game anymore. Didn't have the luxury last time we played WCE

Great minds

azabob
31-03-2024, 07:08 PM
I'm a bit worried about our backline without Jones. He's awesome. But an injury to him and the cupboards bare.

I don?t disagree but things look different compared to 2023. Not sure what it is but we looked organised and each player knows their role.

D Mitchell
31-03-2024, 07:09 PM
1. Wasted 3 years trying to develop a 3 talls forward line, the remaining 2 snagged 1 each.
2. When players run = a win.
3. AFL is a game for the super quick minds, hands and feet

SuperWheels
31-03-2024, 07:24 PM
1. Trying to play perfect football doesn't work. Going forward at all costs has its benefits. So reward the runners. We're realising this.
2. Tackle in numbers and pressure in numbers even when on top. We've asked for years to have a killer instinct as a team, today we did.
3. Sam Darcy is a unicorn, and opposition are realising how good he is, so now he needs to work through getting early body work into him. Opposition know they can't beat if he has a free run to the ball. So watch the early work into him. And how he adjusts to it.

Flamethrower
31-03-2024, 07:28 PM
1. Defensive pressure all over the ground was immense.
2. The AFL should bring forward Tasmania's entry to the AFL and replace WCE as soon as possible. They would struggle to beat Peel Thunder.
3. The Eagles supporters near us on level 2 were complete flogs early, but shut up pretty quickly after 1/4 time and left half way through the 3rd quarter -weak as their team.

D Mitchell
31-03-2024, 08:28 PM
WCE around us, ground level, we?re resigned but good humoured. Lots of banter, our supporters were kind it was all in good fun.

Bullies
31-03-2024, 08:33 PM
1. You can see WCE have our fitness coach from last year. Boy did they look unfit.
2. Let's hope VDM can string a few good games together. He owed us this as he has been given more than enough chances.
3. Can Marra lead up the middle tomix it up.

PR0408
31-03-2024, 08:41 PM
1. You can see WCE have our fitness coach from last year. Boy did they look unfit.
2. Let's hope VDM can string a few good games together. He owed us this as he has been given more than enough chances.
3. Can Marra lead up the middle tomix it up.

1. I?m convinced most supporters have no idea that players have different roles week to week and think it?s all about possessions. I?m happy VDM got a few today to shut the haters up!! He plays his role very well most weeks and is our best pressure fwd every week.

2. English will be our point of difference as the year unfolds. He was brilliant rd1 before he copped a hip injury. Today he again was looking ominous. No ruckman can keep up with him.

3. Out mid fwd connection must be better against better opposition. So many times
As we enter our fwd half from 65m to 50m we are to often happy to kick long to a contest when a fwd is actually presenting at the kicker. If our boys can lower there eyes better. We will be harder to beat in any game.

Good result today but we need to beat cats next week with no Dangerfield

AshMac
31-03-2024, 08:47 PM
1. We look fantastic when we move the ball quickly and lower the eyes kicking inside 50. With either JUH or Naughts high and the other deep - dare I say we almost looked like having a system going forward

2. Our run of the half back flank was great. Loved seeing the handball chains and then a player burst.

3. We need to play like that against a top 8 team

AshMac
31-03-2024, 08:48 PM
1. I?m convinced most supporters have no idea that players have different roles week to week and think it?s all about possessions. I?m happy VDM got a few today to shut the haters up!! He plays his role very well most weeks and is our best pressure fwd every week.

In your opinion - what was vandermeers role round 1 and 2?

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2024, 08:58 PM
1. Bramble can be more than just a fringe player. Thought he was one of the few to impress v Melbourne and he's played well the last two weeks. He plays the game in a positive manner - takes ground, moves it on quickly.

2. We still lack another KPD for stability. I didn't learn this today, and the backs did well, but Khamis (if he plays) really should be the third tall. It worries me against the better sides.

3. Baker is more important than we give him credit for. Holds width well, plenty of pace, good skills with a penetrating leg. If he can find consistency he can be one of the more damaging wingers in the game and it's what he needs to aspire to. Tools are there.

Bullies
31-03-2024, 08:59 PM
In your opinion - what was vandermeers role round 1 and 2? Agree. I think supporters have the right to ask the question. Lets see if he can do the same against the big boys . Eagles will struggle to win a game this year.

Pedro Sanchez
31-03-2024, 09:04 PM
Gags has a lot to like. Excellent kick. Strong build and a natural player. Think his future is really bright.

Happy Days
31-03-2024, 09:07 PM
1. Some ****ing loser called security on the 10 year old kids who sit in front of me for making comments like “hey West Coast go back to West Coast” and “Harley Reid you’re jealous of Sanders”. They were scared to go up to the fence to try and high five the players post-game. If it was any of you please never come to a game again.

2. Our back line is better than I thought. Planting the flag, Buku’s gonna make it.

3. English is the best ruckman that will ever lose a hit out count to Bailey Williams that will ever play AFL. Weapon freak gun at footy, pay the man.

Pedro Sanchez
31-03-2024, 09:13 PM
Buku as a 3rd tall will be epic. Think he?s a player for sure. Bramble has been a shrewd recruit. Dude has some serious footy nous and is a serious user of the footy.

josie
31-03-2024, 09:24 PM

Temperature inversion (happens more often in March). Pollution levels exceed WHO safe limits by a long way. I thought my specs were really dirty but realised it was atmosphere.

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 09:27 PM

They're putting it down to the foggy weather this morning being trapped in but I'm calling bullshit on it. The haze was getting worse each quarter. I think the smoke machine added to it but Marvel is more interested in the TV audience not the spectators at the ground.
It's not a top tier venue.

macca
31-03-2024, 09:31 PM
Haze was caused by some control burnoff in the east. I did not know it until after the game. So closing the roof was the right call .

josie
31-03-2024, 09:31 PM
They're putting it down to the foggy weather this morning being trapped in but I'm calling bullshit on it. The haze was getting worse each quarter. I think the smoke machine added to it but Marvel is more interested in the TV audience not the spectators at the ground.
It's not a top tier venue.

Apparently pollution/particles were mostly due to planned burn offs from DPI or whatever they now call themselves. It?s not b/s.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-03-2024, 09:35 PM
The smoke was the cause of the haze. There was heaps of it out east all day. Lots of burn off's and very little wind.

EasternWest
31-03-2024, 09:37 PM
In your opinion - what was vandermeers role round 1 and 2?

I'm convinced that guy is BAD's alt. Seriously, "leave Britney alone" vibes.

macca
31-03-2024, 09:39 PM
1. VDM , Khamis, Bramble, Baker had good games and it was great to see them put pressure on their opponente. Best game seen in VDM and he took 2 good marks for 2 shots of goal , of which he kicked the seond shot for goal. I really want Khamis to be more physical and push out his opponent. English masdive mark in the 3rd was a beauty.
2. Our 2nd efforts and running back to defense was fanstastic today. When we did not have the ball , the boys ran hard. Smoothering was fanstastic. West did some good things.
3. When we kick straight, it creates great momentum. The 4 missed shots in the first quarter was pretty damning. JUH round kick 35 m out was absurd , and VDM kick did not even make the distance. They just have to go back and kick straight.

G-Mo77
31-03-2024, 09:44 PM
1. Some ****ing loser called security on the 10 year old kids who sit in front of me for making comments like “hey West Coast go back to West Coast” and “Harley Reid you’re jealous of Sanders”. They were scared to go up to the fence to try and high five the players post-game. If it was any of you please never come to a game again.

What the hell!?!?!?

This is crazy. My son has no hope if this is the measuring stick for a report. My boys lungs are huge, backed up his cheering in the NBL finals for another 2 hours, it was great. Some people are just so precious. Members area?

GVGjr
31-03-2024, 10:08 PM
Haze was caused by some control burnoff in the east. I did not know it until after the game. So closing the roof was the right call .

Then why close the roof just 2 hours before the start of the game? Why not earlier?

bulldogsthru&thru
31-03-2024, 10:12 PM
Then why close the roof just 2 hours before the start of the game? Why not earlier?

Lack of foresight??

Marvel isn't very well ventilated. Every half time there's a bit of a haze to start the 3rd quarter because of all the smokos.

josie
31-03-2024, 10:42 PM
Lack of foresight??

Marvel isn't very well ventilated. Every half time there's a bit of a haze to start the 3rd quarter because of all the smokos.

May not have made a lot of difference. Haze was around yesterday/last night too. Worse today though.

Happy Days
31-03-2024, 10:58 PM
What the hell!?!?!?

This is crazy. My son has no hope if this is the measuring stick for a report. My boys lungs are huge, backed up his cheering in the NBL finals for another 2 hours, it was great. Some people are just so precious. Members area?

All of us near them couldn’t believe it. The security guy was embarrassed to his credit but whoever complained should be ashamed of themselves.

Edit - yep members area, level one on the wing. I’m actually really pissed about it the more I talk about it.

AshMac
01-04-2024, 10:01 AM
3. English is the best ruckman that will ever lose a hit out count to Bailey Williams that will ever play AFL. Weapon freak gun at footy, pay the man.

This is so on point and I agree completely. He is the best ruckman who is actually a terrible ruckman.

His work in that handball chain was immense, the way he scooped the ball off the ground in motion was special. Unique talent around the ground.

Personally, I disagree we should pay him what he?ll ask though. Come finals - winning the hit outs and having a presence in those contests is just too important.

Sedat
01-04-2024, 01:31 PM
This is so on point and I agree completely. He is the best ruckman who is actually a terrible ruckman.

His work in that handball chain was immense, the way he scooped the ball off the ground in motion was special. Unique talent around the ground.
We learned nothing from English yesterday. He is absolutely amazing, and without peer in the competition for a ruckman, with his gut-running and ability to get involved in damaging scoring chains. He runs so hard both ways to help out in D50 and also provide significant match-up headaches in F50. And yet he continues to struggle with his timing and ability to hold his ground against his direct opponent at ruck stoppages. He is a conundrum whose positive attributes clearly outweigh his negatives. When the stakes are highest later in the season, I hope the negatives becomes a lot less negative (and even positive) so it doesn't hurt us again at the worst possible time.

The most significant thing I learnt watching the game live yesterday was that we have a much better turnover game this year. In the past, whenever we lost clearances and broke even for I50 you could pencil in an L with certainty. I know the oppo were terrible but scoring is so much easier from turnover than from continual bash and crash stoppage/clearance dominance. Clearly we've done a lot of work on this over summer which wasn't evident in R1.

Also the even spread of contributions was great to see - I couldn't tell you who our worst player was (outside of the sub Poulter). We simply cannot be Bont/Libba or bust ever again.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-04-2024, 06:33 PM

I was being tongue in cheek. Controlled burns will be happening for the next 3 months so we may experience it again.

ratsmac
01-04-2024, 06:50 PM
1. West Coast are worse than I thought which makes last year's loss to them even more puzzling.

2. Williams back in defence is a no brainer. He was spooked for a while after the GF loss but looks at home in the d50. The problem is when Richards comes back. Does Doc (who was solid) miss and Williams move back (or is it forward) to the wing?

3. Vandermeer didn't suck. On the contrary he was quite good. Vanders work rate has never really been questioned, his disposal and maybe decision making has been his downfall. Yesterday he was excellent in all facets. His new bar has been set.

Curly5
01-04-2024, 07:44 PM

Yes, there was a smoke machine in the race as they came out. There was footage and it was pretty thick! The haze around the ground was from burn-offs though. No breeze to take it away, which I suppose is the reason they chose that day to burn off, to prevent fires from getting out of hand.

bornadog
01-04-2024, 07:45 PM
Yes, there was a smoke machine in the race as they came out. There was footage and it was pretty thick! The haze around the ground was from burn-offs though. No breeze to take it away, which I suppose is the reason they chose that day to burn off, to prevent fires from getting out of hand.
ok thanks

SquirrelGrip
01-04-2024, 11:05 PM
2. Williams back in defence is a no brainer. He was spooked for a while after the GF loss but looks at home in the d50. The problem is when Richards comes back. Does Doc (who was solid) miss and Williams move back (or is it forward) to the wing?

With Williams back, is it time to play Ed in a more central role - midfield or wing? He’s a heck of a player - he could become our (better bloke) version of Dangerfield.

Mantis
02-04-2024, 09:05 AM
With Williams back, is it time to play Ed in a more central role - midfield or wing? He’s a heck of a player - he could become our (better bloke) version of Dangerfield.

Ed is an elite HB... in every other position he's been tried he's been BOG average to poor.

Leave him where we know he is really good and an asset to our team.

Grantysghost
02-04-2024, 09:46 AM
Ed is an elite HB... in every other position he's been tried he's been BOG average to poor.

Yes we can't move Ed from HB.

Dale I'd consider.

Sedat
02-04-2024, 10:23 AM

Yep, running half backs with good foot skills and who make good decisions and who can also intercept are worth absolute gold in the 2024 version of the game. And we've got one of the best ones in Ed.

GVGjr
02-04-2024, 11:04 AM
Yep, running half backs with good foot skills and who make good decisions and who can also intercept are worth absolute gold in the 2024 version of the game. And we've got one of the best ones in Ed.

It's not like he wasn't given an extended trial in other positions but it wasn't overly successful and he does seem to flourish as as a defender for us across half back. I'd be in no rush to move him but we could give him the occasional run in the middle.

Jeanette54
02-04-2024, 11:51 AM
1. Whatever we learnt about ourselves this week, is irrelevant to what we will learn next week against Geelong. The two games, and the quality of the opposition, will be chalk and cheese.
2. Ditto.
3. Ditto.

Mitcha
03-04-2024, 01:49 PM
1. Two cheap as chip options (Baker and Bramble) not only solved two problem areas (outside mid and small defender) but also have added much needed speed and running capability to our style of play. Speed moving forward has been sadly lacking for us for a while and you only need to look at other games to see that is the game style for the short term future. Great work from our list management team.
2. Using stats in order to rate a players performance is foolish. Naughtons game was far better than what his numbers indicate with some team oriented knock on's and blocks helping others into clear space to execute.
3. Hugely beneficial having the game put away reasonably early allowing some calculated resting of Bont forward and Libba benched while at the same time giving pups Gallagher and Sanders some valuable time in the middle. Also allowed Jacko to slot back in to where he does his best work and allowed Treloar to get his hands on plenty.

mighty_west
03-04-2024, 03:40 PM
1. Williams looked right at home going back holding down Ed's spot, i really wanted Dale trained over the pre season on a wing as he has all the tools to play that position well, so i'd swap those two with Ed back this week, that allows Dale to run the ball into forward 50 more often pin pointing a team mate as his skills are still sublime but it's his decision making letting him down at times plus he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, let him run free plus has that Eagleton effect of slotting through goals from a distance on the run, it's a win/win as far as i'm concerned.

2. Our energy and mental edge are back as far as attitude and efforts go which wasn't there in round 1, compare this game to the last round in 2023 and chalk & cheese, on paper WC still had quality players on the ground, McGovern and Barrass two quality key defenders so Naughts and JUH were not going to have it easy, Yeo and Kelly two quality mids who cut us the shreds last year, plus Reid will have a break out game at some stage, Duggen, Cripps, Petruccelle, Darling all good players.

3. The Ranga express continue to impress, Bramble is becoming an inspired trade selection whilst Baker is doing everything to become a permanent fixture whilst Ed is already a star down back, especially Bramble and Baker using their express speed to take the game on will do wonders for our game style and give the opposition headaches to try and get back to defend, to also then have the quality talls to kick to, when things do click, watch out!

josie
03-04-2024, 06:31 PM
1. Two cheap as chip options (Baker and Bramble) not only solved two problem areas (outside mid and small defender) but also have added much needed speed and running capability to our style of play. Speed moving forward has been sadly lacking for us for a while and you only need to look at other games to see that is the game style for the short term future. Great work from our list management team.
2. Using stats in order to rate a players performance is foolish. Naughtons game was far better than what his numbers indicate with some team oriented knock on's and blocks helping others into clear space to execute.
3. Hugely beneficial having the game put away reasonably early allowing some calculated resting of Bont forward and Libba benched while at the same time giving pups Gallagher and Sanders some valuable time in the middle. Also allowed Jacko to slot back in to where he does his best work and allowed Treloar to get his hands on plenty.

Like this post. I had Naughty as 2nd best after Treloar.

We definitely are looking quicker & like the way we are changing angles and playing on a bit more. Will be interesting to see how we go against top notch teams (round 1 against Dees hopefully an odd blip).

josie
03-04-2024, 06:32 PM
1. Williams looked right at home going back holding down Ed's spot, i really wanted Dale trained over the pre season on a wing as he has all the tools to play that position well, so i'd swap those two with Ed back this week, that allows Dale to run the ball into forward 50 more often pin pointing a team mate as his skills are still sublime but it's his decision making letting him down at times plus he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, let him run free plus has that Eagleton effect of slotting through goals from a distance on the run, it's a win/win as far as i'm concerned.

2. Our energy and mental edge are back as far as attitude and efforts go which wasn't there in round 1, compare this game to the last round in 2023 and chalk & cheese, on paper WC still had quality players on the ground, McGovern and Barrass two quality key defenders so Naughts and JUH were not going to have it easy, Yeo and Kelly two quality mids who cut us the shreds last year, plus Reid will have a break out game at some stage, Duggen, Cripps, Petruccelle, Darling all good players.

3. The Ranga express continue to impress, Bramble is becoming an inspired trade selection whilst Baker is doing everything to become a permanent fixture whilst Ed is already a star down back, especially Bramble and Baker using their express speed to take the game on will do wonders for our game style and give the opposition headaches to try and get back to defend, to also then have the quality talls to kick to, when things do click, watch out!

Like this post. Love the term ranga express. They all have a bit of toe & bravery about their play. No doubt there will be tearing hair out moments watching them but gotta take a bit of bad with hopefully overwhelming good.

Twodogs
03-04-2024, 08:40 PM
Like this post. Love the term ranga express. They all have a bit of toe & bravery about their play. No doubt there will be tearing hair out moments watching them but gotta take a bit of bad with hopefully overwhelming good.

I love a team within a team (like the wog squad) and the Ranga Express is a great name for one