PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs V Bombers - Round 5, 12/4/24 Marvel Stadium 7.40PM AEST

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
09-04-2024, 03:38 PM
Margin:
First goal:
Best on ground:

Eastdog
10-04-2024, 02:12 PM
Margin: Dogs by 27 points

First goal: Sam Darcy

Best on ground: Marcus Bontempelli

Warrnambulldog
10-04-2024, 02:45 PM
What is the bet bombers come out sniping this week (their so called edge)? Hope we put them away early and humiliate them. Not sure what happens with Macrae and Daniel. Not much will be gained by Macrae going to vfl, perhaps a shame for everyone that there isn?t a mid season trade window. Kinda wouldn?t mind seeing Garcia given a crack. Hope Naughts comes out with a point to prove this week and dominates

Eastdog
10-04-2024, 02:56 PM
What is the bet bombers come out sniping this week (their so called edge)? Hope we put them away early and humiliate them. Not sure what happens with Macrae and Daniel. Not much will be gained by Macrae going to vfl, perhaps a shame for everyone that there isn?t a mid season trade window. Kinda wouldn?t mind seeing Garcia given a crack. Hope Naughts comes out with a point to prove this week and dominates

Yes will be interesting to see how the Bombers come out.

Your not sure what to expect from them. If they do what they did after qtr time last Friday and we bring our game will beat them comfortably.

I'm expecting us to win but wary as well.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 03:09 PM
Looking forward to attending for the first time since round #1.

Dogs by 30
FG Weightman
BOG Naughton

mighty_west
10-04-2024, 03:18 PM
Dogs by 23
FG : West
BOG : Bont

Think it'll be one of those frustrating games where we should win by a decent margin but only get up by 3 or 4 goals, the Bombers without Wright, Ridley, Perkins and a few others.

bornadog
10-04-2024, 03:33 PM
Dogs by 34
First Goal VDM
BOG Bont

MrMahatma
10-04-2024, 04:11 PM
Dogs by 55. Feels like it might be one of those years where we bash the irrelevant and lose to the contenders.
FG: West
BOG: Marra - which will make the Bombers offer $1.5m per season for 8 years.

Danjul
10-04-2024, 07:18 PM
Dogs by 55. Feels like it might be one of those years where we bash the irrelevant and lose to the contenders.
FG: West
BOG: Marra - which will make the Bombers offer $1.5m per season for 8 years.
did we learn anything about winning in the Geelong loss? We have to if we want to be a contender. I would be happy if we spend the rest of the season doing what they do.

jeemak
10-04-2024, 07:41 PM
I have clients taking me to the game Friday, so if it all goes to shit I can drown the sorrows on someone else's dime.

Bulldog Joe
10-04-2024, 08:07 PM
We should celebrate the 100th anniversary of our World Championship over this mob.

Give them a well deserved thrashing to remind them where they really belong

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 08:26 PM
We should celebrate the 100th anniversary of our World Championship over this mob.

Give them a well deserved thrashing to remind them where they really belong

Ha. Yes. I like that thinking.

1924 Championship of Victoria

Footscray 9.10 (64) def
Essendon 4.12 (36)

46,100 people rocked up to watch the Dogs embarass them.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2024, 07:40 AM
Ha. Yes. I like that thinking.

1924 Championship of Victoria

Footscray 9.10 (64) def
Essendon 4.12 (36)

46,100 people rocked up to watch the Dogs embarass them.

Champions of Victoria is small time thinking. As the Yanks do in baseball I see this as the world series

Champions of the World.

Mantis
11-04-2024, 09:19 AM
I have clients taking me to the game Friday, so if it all goes to shit I can drown the sorrows on someone else's dime.

We are Geelong's bunnies, but Essendon are our's... we will smoke them.

jazzadogs
11-04-2024, 06:35 PM
In my mind this is just a second West Coast match.

I expect a 10 goal win, with domination across all lines.

Who are their good players outside of Merrett?

Scorlibo
12-04-2024, 12:53 AM
In my mind this is just a second West Coast match.

I expect a 10 goal win, with domination across all lines.

Who are their good players outside of Merrett?

They have a few very good smalls across the park in McGrath, Gresham and Martin. All of these guys can have a big impact on matches. Perkins is in the same category but out injured.

McKay is in great form down back, Stringer and Langford are two of the better medium forwards around.

I don't see them as a pushover but they are extremely vulnerable through the middle as evidenced last week, and even more so given Setterfield and Perkins are out through injury. Hopefully Parish takes another week to find his form, and it's our crew versus Merrett.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 01:22 AM
Key timing

3:45pm ? Gates 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 open
4:05pm ? Footscray v Essendon (VFL) curtain raiser
5pm ? The Pack Kids Club zone opens (Gate 7)
5:45pm ? All gates and Bulldogs Shop (Gate 7) opens
7:25pm ? Team entry & light show
7:40pm ? First bounce

Axe Man
12-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Mick McGuane: Western Bulldogs v Essendon round 5 preview (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-mcguane-western-bulldogs-v-essendon-round-5-preview-hawthorn-analysis/news-story/a9619cbcffd3eb34cfed243ff309f47d)

Friday night?s clash between the Western Bulldogs and Essendon is set to tell us a lot about both sides.

AFL analyst Mick McGuane looks at the keys to success for each team and the players who need to lift.

Plus, Mick takes a look at Hawthorn after a 0-4 start to the season. Is Sam Mitchell?s side still on the right track?

FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT
ESSENDON

Forget the ?Essendon Edge?.

When things go pear shaped, Brad Scott?s team have once again proved they struggle to wrestle back momentum against a quality opponent.

Don?t get me wrong ? their first quarter was outstanding against Port Adelaide last week.

However, after that it was a procession from the Power at the centre bounce and Essendon was soft and lacked initiative as it failed to adjust.

Port Adelaide won the centre clearances for the game 19-6, which is a smashing in anyone?s language.

That is the one area of the ground where you can?t saturate numbers to support stoppage loss and when you concede clearance numbers like that you will also give up significant inside-50s and put your defensive six under enormous pressure.

When they did have the ball, the Bombers managed only six goals from 43 inside-50s against the Power.

Much of that can be put down to their kicking and decision making when going forward, which was often fairly mediocre by AFL standards.

Port Adelaide only took one intercept mark in the first quarter, but grabbed 17 for the rest of the game as Essendon?s ball security imploded.

The Bombers are not hard enough for long enough and until they can find some greater consistency both from an offensive and defensive perspective they will remain a middle-of-the-road team.

What did Essendon?s legendary coach Kevin Sheedy and now current director say about another club and a couple of their football administrators in the late 1990?s?

?Marshmallow? Kangaroos comes to mind.

The way the Essendon on-ballers meekly surrendered to their more energetic and hungry counterparts last week resembled that of marshmallows.

To be blunt, they were soft and far too easy to play against.

Compounding the issues, two of their constants through the middle in Will Setterfield (knee) and Archie Perkins (hamstring) now find themselves on the sidelines.

But that might prove a good chance for Scott to be innovative with his midfield mix.

THE KEY

Bring the heat and hit back at centre bounce.

Winning first possession gains and transferring that into clearance wins against the Bulldogs is critical.

Also, the Bombers can ill-afford to get into a shootout, so their pressure and tackling game must be manic and kamikaze like.

On the back of a strong defensive mindset their attack will come.

Make no mistake ? this game starts and stops with ruck duo Todd Goldstein and Sam Draper, who face off with an in-form Tim English after being soundly beaten by Ivan Soldo and Jeremy Finlayson last week.

They need to be aggressive and set the scene, as do their midfielders ? both offensively and defensively.

Essendon can?t afford to let Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore or Adam Treloar come out the front of stoppage as easily as Connor Rozee and Jason Horne-Francis did last week.

Understanding trends and having solutions to counter the strengths of your opposition is what great leaders and on field organisers provide the team.

Last week the Bombers midfielders were rudderless and didn?t have the answers to change momentum, which is a facet of the game that hurt them.

If you are going to leave an area of space open, make it forward of the ruckman.

Don?t expose yourself with allowing your defensive side to be exploited, as Essendon did last week.

Talk about leaving the gate open.

WHO NEEDS TO LIFT?

If he doesn?t smarten up his game soon, Mason Redman could find himself in the VFL.

It has been an underwhelming start to the season for a player who inked a five-year contract extension last July.

Redman?s rebound-50s have dropped from 4.9 last year to 3.3 this year, his intercept possessions have halved from 6 to 3 and his intercept marks are drastically down from 2.1 to 0.7 a game.

As much as Redman is out of form, Nic Martin?s move to halfback hasn?t helped him.

Could Scott move Martin into the midfield to add some nimbleness and energy at the coal face, allowing Redman to be the main man off halfback once again?

It?s worth a try and may prove a win-win for both the team and players involved.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

The Bulldogs look to have found some bite.

It was a poor start to the season against Melbourne in round 1, but since then Luke Beveridge?s team has done a lot right.

They?re playing a strong front-half game and have the ability to do some damage centre-forward through the a potent attack which includes Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Sam Darcy and Cody Weightman.

The Bulldogs rank fourth in the competition for retaining the ?money kick? going inside-50, third for overall kicking efficiency, fifth for pressure rating and fifth for average points from turnovers at 53.8 points per game.

They are a side which wants to play the game at an up-tempo speed by playing on quickly from marks, changing angles and pinpointing open players in space.

That speed of ball movement will challenge Essendon?s defence on Friday night as the Bulldogs eye a third win in four weeks at Marvel Stadium.

However, as good as they have been with the ball, there is room for improvement without it.

Beveridge?s team ranks 12th for defending ball movement ? that is the opposition?s ability to move the ball from their defensive 50 to attacking 50.

This clash with the Bombers is big and will tell us a lot about the Bulldogs.

If Beveridge?s team wants to return to finals this year, these are the type of games they need to capitalise on.

THE KEY

It?s all about a strong inside-to-outside game around contest for the Bulldogs.

Tom Liberatore is one of the most influential players in the competition and had an off-the-charts match against Geelong last week.

He racked up 21 first-possession gains on his way to 19 clearances from 35 disposals.

If Essendon don?t put some serious work into Liberatore and take away his first-possession gains, he will again get the ball to the outside and kickstart the Bulldogs? offence.

On the flip side, the Bulldogs must ensure that the Bombers don?t get their tails up around stoppages after a poor showing last week.

Given that the Bulldogs? ability to defend ball movement is questionable, they won?t want to rely on winning the ball back across halfback.

The Bulldogs want to lock the ball in their front-half and generate repeat entries to hit the scoreboard ? which you do through winning clearances and gaining territory.

WHO NEEDS TO LIFT?

The Bulldogs? big names have all started the season in good form ? and that includes Naughton.

However, Naughton is a bit of a conundrum at the moment.

His forward-50 marks have dropped from 2.5 to 1.3 a game this year, as a result of playing higher up the ground and bringing with him the opposition?s best defender.

That is allowing Ugle-Hagan more space to work in inside-50, and as a consequence he is the Bulldogs? most targeted forward.

But he has only kicked six goals from four games and Naughton only has four majors.

Naughton is indirectly impacting the scoreboard in his higher role, averaging an elite 7.5 score involvements per game.

But is Beveridge getting his forward structure right when it comes to who he is trying to isolate?

That?s the big question given Ugle-Hagan?s returns.

KEY MATCH UPS

Harrison Jones v Liam Jones

The Bombers forward has to play a negating role but also make sure he stays relevant by being a viable option when his side is attacking the forward line. This will force his opponent to be accountable. Liam Jones is the Bulldogs? best interceptor, so Harrison Jones should be using him as a competitive starting point and make sure he doesn?t influence the air through intercept marks.

Tim English v Todd Goldstein & Sam Draper

This ruck battle will be fascinating. English is looking to secure a juicy new contract but will need to stand and deliver against a duo who should be fired up after being badly beaten last week. English often uses soft hands to tap down to Tom Liberatore, but if the Bombers give Liberatore some close attention then English might need to look to get the ball on the outside and into space, more like Ivan Soldo did against Essendon last week. English can also slide forward and be an aerial threat in front of the ball, which is something Goldstein and Draper will have to watch for.

Ben McKay v Aaron Naughton

Naughton has been playing higher up the ground this season and there will be some cat and mouse around how far he can take McKay with him to try and minimise his intercept game. I wouldn?t be surprised to see Naughton play a little deeper at times, though. Playing 20m forward of stoppages between the arcs doesn?t look to help the Bulldogs? forward structure.

Tom Liberatore v Sam Durham

Durham is a hard inside midfielder who will be a welcome addition given the losses of Perkins and Setterfield to injury. Durham can win contests himself, but he can also be accountable and take away Liberatore?s stoppage prowess. The Bombers need to cut the snake off at the head and that means limiting the impact of Liberatore.

westdog54
12-04-2024, 05:52 PM
On the concourse for the first time since 2019, ready to walk in with the young bloke after we've visited the Kids zone.

Feels so good to be back. It's been too long.

Dogs by 40.
Gallagher first goal.
English to run Draper into the ground.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 05:59 PM
On the concourse for the first time since 2019, ready to walk in with the young bloke after we've visited the Kids zone.

Feels so good to be back. It's been too long.

Dogs by 40.
Gallagher first goal.
English to run Draper into the ground.

Where have you been

meenies
12-04-2024, 06:21 PM
Scoreboard is showing Sanders as sub

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 06:36 PM

Is that definite? 3 defenders and a mid/fwd on the bench......

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 06:46 PM

I think it's just the order they were listed in the team announcement, and Marvels graphics automatically make the 5th name the sub.

Every chance he is the sub, but I wouldn't take the scoreboard as official.

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 07:07 PM
If Footscray whip Essendon in the VFL & there's some impressive performers who might trigger some selection pressure then:
Margin: Dogs by at least 70
First Goal: Sanders first goal or Marra if Sanders is sub
BOG:Think Marra might fill his boots in his 50th game.

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 07:10 PM
I think it's just the order they were listed in the team announcement, and Marvels graphics automatically make the 5th name the sub.

Every chance he is the sub, but I wouldn't take the scoreboard as official.

Cheers, wondered if it was alphabetical?

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 07:11 PM

:rolleyes:

What a great start.

westdog54
12-04-2024, 07:14 PM
Where have you been
Without going into detail, some life complications have kept me away. Onward and upward from here.

westdog54
12-04-2024, 07:14 PM

Official.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 07:16 PM
Without going into detail, some life complications have kept me away. Onward and upward from here.

Great to have you back

ledge
12-04-2024, 07:21 PM

I’m not sure the reasoning in that . Play him in the reserves if that’s the case.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 07:21 PM
:rolleyes:

What a great start.

He must need a rest

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Bailey Dale is the sub

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 07:43 PM
I?m not sure the reasoning in that . Play him in the reserves if that?s the case.

Dale is sub.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2024, 07:46 PM
Glad it's Dale.

Bravo MC.

westdog54
12-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Bailey Dale is the sub

Weird that they would display Sanders' name in the ground before it was official but good result either way.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 08:13 PM
Dogs by 28 points
First Goal: Naughton
BOG: Richards

Bumper Bulldogs
12-04-2024, 08:40 PM
Go Doggies. Burn Bont

bornadog
12-04-2024, 08:49 PM
Dale is sub.
Good choice

bornadog
12-04-2024, 08:49 PM
Marrrraaaaaa

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 08:51 PM
Great grab and finish from Marra. Should have left it for Cody, but great grab and finish regardless.

Also loved the Khamis tackle on Stringer just before.

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 08:52 PM
Is this Stringer matchup with Buku a concern?

Edit: No if he kicks like that

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 08:54 PM
Bruise free shoot out footy at the moment. Need to defend transition

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 08:56 PM
Sanders movement through traffic has been great so far, although would have loved for him to move forward once he had space instead of giving the handball back to Khamis.

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 09:00 PM
English making loads of errors

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:01 PM
3 goals from 3 free kicks - defence needs to be better

hujsh
Not many of Essendon's forward 50 entries have been particularly dangerous looking.

lemmon
I'm an English fan but he's had a stinker of a start.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:03 PM
Jeezus

lemmon
Laith's bringing a heap of junkyard dog to that forward line and I'm loving it. We need more water carriers in the front half and he's bringing that tonight

hujsh
Why are the commentators confused about how that could be a free? He was whacked in the face while standing up lol

kruder
12-04-2024, 09:04 PM
Another game where Bevo will have to remind English to Compete

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:04 PM
Bont only with his 3rd touch

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:06 PM
Where was prior?

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:08 PM
Another game where Bevo will have to remind English to Compete
Really - early days

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2024, 09:11 PM
English $1m. Lol.

hujsh
English has to hold that. Weak as piss and directly lead to a goal

MrMahatma
Really - early days

English’s worst quarter in 2 yrs.

bornadog
English’s worst quarter in 2 yrs.
Early days - winning HO

chef
12-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Essendon really taking it up to us, bit worrying.

lemmon
12-04-2024, 09:13 PM
Doesn't seem like we'll trust Darcy in the ruck much tonight, so English is really going to have to lift.

bornadog
Essendon really taking it up to us, bit worrying.

They did that last week against Port. 3 Goals came from free kicks

Happy Days
Are we playing with a different rule book to them or something

Happy Days
12-04-2024, 09:14 PM

He got his legs taken out. That bald umpire is a cheat.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 09:14 PM
Some very soft frees that cost us goals. Gee whiz. Umps having an influence.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 09:15 PM
I am livid with the umpiring thus far.
It's woeful.

kruder
12-04-2024, 09:15 PM
Lade addressing English as expected.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-04-2024, 09:16 PM
We just need the reset and power our eyes going into F50. The trees will balance out. That?s the best they have so it?s up to us now to grind them out

Happy Days
We’re cooking them, the main difference is when they get it inside 50 they get a free kick for no reason. If we we can fix that up we should be okay.

Grantysghost

Goldstein pushed him i thought it was interference in the contest.

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 09:17 PM
I still think we overrun them comfortably.

That was a frustrating quarter with a few clear chances bungled by our players, while we gifted them some with silly free kicks.

jazzadogs
Goldstein pushed him i thought it was interference in the contest.

Yeh my initial thought was he spilled it, but then the replay clearly shows two hands from Draper as he fell over.

ledge
5 goals all from a free kick or a 50 metre penalty.
I’m worried about this turf it’s terrible , I think there was 3 or 4 players got ankle injuries in the vfl .

Bumper Bulldogs
12-04-2024, 09:18 PM
He still gets schools by bigger bodied rucks everyday.

Why he allowed them to take front spot is mind blowing honestly

Grantysghost
We’re cooking them, the main difference is when they get it inside 50 they get a free kick for no reason. If we we can fix that up we should be okay.

And stop their butter through knife transition out of our forward 50.
Stringer is too smart for Buku, an interesting matchup. Footy smarts v atheltic ability.

bornadog
Need a few step up

lemmon
12-04-2024, 09:19 PM
Jack Macrae's best quarter for a while. Feel like he's been very deliberate with his ball use.

chef
12-04-2024, 09:23 PM
Onya Laith, having a good game.

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 09:23 PM
My man Laith.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 09:24 PM
We all love you Laith everyone was just joking all those other times

hujsh
12-04-2024, 09:25 PM
We all love you Laith everyone was just joking all those other times

Would like to highlight how he busted his ass at the start of the quarter to give someone an easy pass into the pocket. Pulled a man out of the zone to chase him too

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 09:28 PM
What alternate reality is that umpire living in?

KT31
12-04-2024, 09:29 PM
Disgraceful umpiring, he played on.

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 09:33 PM
Am I biased or are we getting royally ****ed by umpires?

hujsh
12-04-2024, 09:34 PM
Am I biased or are we getting royally ****ed by umpires?

Maybe both

chef
12-04-2024, 09:35 PM
Haha how shit are we. Bombers are trash.

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 09:35 PM
Damn lads

chef
12-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Weak effort Cody

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 09:39 PM
Is there any incorrect disposal against Bombers??

Bumper Bulldogs
12-04-2024, 09:43 PM
How did we botch that up

angelopetraglia
The surface of the ground is horrendous. You can?t bounce the ball. Players slipping over.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
OK, if Bramble can't execute there, his other admirable traits are for naught

ledge
We have had the opportunity to run into open goals and stuffed it so many times.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2024, 09:44 PM
We look bog average.

angelopetraglia
OK, if Bramble can't execute there, his other admirable traits are for naught

Surface of the ground played a role. It?s horrendous.

lemmon
Bramble misses that handball to Treloar through the middle but Treloar strolling around not even considering the chase is not on. That's rubbish

chef
Giving them confidence. Danger signs.

Bumper Bulldogs
Pretty poor effort from Williams and they Goal. We were all over them the first 10 minutes and we didn?t make them pay

Grantysghost
12-04-2024, 09:45 PM
Giving them confidence. Danger signs.

Smashing us atm.

ledge
12-04-2024, 09:45 PM
**** me wtf !

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 09:46 PM

He was too late in making a decision though by then. Both players were covered, he needed to have passed it earlier or kicked it long.

DOG GOD
12-04-2024, 09:46 PM
Fumble and poor decisions one after the other. Mix that with poor kicking and we deserve to be down at half time. If we continue to play a tug of war of kamikaze football, we will lose

KT31
12-04-2024, 09:48 PM
Dominate for half a quarter and not capitalise.
Bummers have five minutes of the play and put the runs on the board.

angelopetraglia
How can the AFL who own the ground have a Pink concert a week before the season starts? Horrendous. It just crazy.

Also, if the surface is suspect, why play a curtain raiser?

bornadog

Not AFL standard

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 09:49 PM
They've shut down Libba really well, only 9 touches to half time.
Bont has 12 but minimal impact.

English has been woeful in the ruck. Goldstein and Draper were always a danger combo for Tim, and he has let us down.

Macrae has had a really solid half. He's still in our best team imo.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
I still think we win this.. but some conversations needs to happen at half time.
Macrae has had a lot of the ball, and yet on first viewing, I think I'd be okay with him going back to the VFL.

But some of the mistakes we've made have effectively been 12 point plays.
We need Treloar to get off the chain and force Essendon to consider moving Durham because so far Bont is not having the impact he should, despite getting a fair bit of it.

The Bulldogs Bite
Our fringe players have looked .... Awful. Khamis, Bramble, Baker, Sanders (just not strong enough yet), Gallagher...

Libba and Bont a little down and we look like a bottom 6 side.

Happy Days
12-04-2024, 09:50 PM
I hate this team man. Every year it’s just endless shit performances.

ledge
How can the AFL who own the ground have a Pink concert a week before the season starts? Horrendous. It just crazy.

Also, if the surface is suspect, why play a curtain raiser?

Both clubs need to ask for a please explain off the AFL about this ground.

The Bulldogs Bite
At times English has flat out refused to compete.

I'd trade him tomorrow if we could.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Missing some easy shots - two by Darcy and one by Westy really not good enough

Grantysghost
Not AFL standard

The dirt felt wet underneath when i went out before the game.
Also there were clear stud marks all over the place from the vfl game.

bornadog
The dirt felt wet underneath when i went out before the game.
Also there were clear stud marks all over the place from the vfl game.

That is pathetic

bornadog
12-04-2024, 09:53 PM
Getting cleaned up in the Centre, really have to change our tactics

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Getting cleaned up in the Centre, really have to change our tactics

Starts with English.

He's getting bullied.

ledge
12-04-2024, 09:54 PM
I can see why Macrae was playing VFL kicked it straight to the backman 30 metres on his own !
At least make it a 50/50 if in doubt.

Doc26
12-04-2024, 09:55 PM
They've shut down Libba really well, only 9 touches to half time.
Bont has 12 but minimal impact.

English has been woeful in the ruck. Goldstein and Draper were always a danger combo for Tim, and he has let us down.

Macrae has had a really solid half. He's still in our best team imo.

But why have both Libba and Bont been left on the bench for such extended periods in both the first and second quarters ?
Some weird type of management or coaching going on to have Sanders, Macrae and Treloar at the centre bounce stoppages for such long periods. We’re giving their midfielders such a free pass in doing so.

Grantysghost
12-04-2024, 09:55 PM
Starts with English.

He's getting bullied.

He is. They started with Goldstein as the main man v English and Draper as the second.

They've changed it up later and now Draper the main guy.

English getting smashed by both.

Grantysghost
12-04-2024, 09:56 PM
But why have both Libba and Bont been left on the bench for such extended periods in both the first and second quarters ?
Some weird type of management or coaching going on to have Sanders, Macrae and Treloar at the centre bounce stoppages for such long periods.
Libba is getting worked over by multiple mids. Caldwell mainly.
Bont has played loads of forward time since the ankle roll v Suns.

We really depend on those two way too much.

westdog54
12-04-2024, 09:58 PM
Bont and Libba need to lift. We need to capitalise on our opportunities because they're barely wasting the ones they're getting.

I still think we'll have more in the tank for the second half. We're scoring off turnovers and they're scoring from stoppages. Close down their midfield and their scoring will dry up.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 09:58 PM
English just being manhandled and then not competing hard enough. How is this midfield killing us in centre clearances.

josie
12-04-2024, 09:59 PM
He is. They started with Goldstein as the main man v English and Draper as the second.

They've changed it up later and now Draper the main guy.

English getting smashed by both.

At Footscray end/our cheer squad end Tim had opportunity to put some body pressure/smash pack and was I thought he was timid. Led directly to a bombers goal. If he is getting smashed at clearances then he has to dominate around ground and he is not doing that. Not sure he is worth $1M a season. C?mon Timmy, prove me wrong.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 09:59 PM
They have doubled our centre clearances. Doubled!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 10:00 PM

I think you're right. Bont does appear to be having his midfield time managed.

Doc26
12-04-2024, 10:01 PM

So we bench our two best clearance players for such extended periods because one is being tagged. Libba’s been tagged his whole career. Last week against the Cats these two were hardly struggling.

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 10:02 PM
English just being manhandled and then not competing hard enough. How is this midfield killing us in centre clearances.

This is why I'm against making him our highest paid player. This happens a lot.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 10:09 PM
We are getting, in the words of the great Rocket Eade, crucified.

chef
12-04-2024, 10:12 PM
We are losing this tonight aren't we .

hujsh
12-04-2024, 10:12 PM
I thought you couldn't just push a ruckman in the back like that?

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 10:13 PM
Our forwards are getting violated at every contest, and nothing is getting paid. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Plenty of other things we're doing wrong...but some deserved free kicks would be nice.

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 10:14 PM
We are losing this tonight aren't we .

I think so. It has that bad smell about it

bornadog
12-04-2024, 10:15 PM
This is why I'm against making him our highest paid player. This happens a lot.
Bont is the highest paid

bornadog
12-04-2024, 10:18 PM
Another bullshit free kick

bornadog
12-04-2024, 10:24 PM
Bramble too many errors, Gallagher will be dropped

Mantis
12-04-2024, 10:24 PM
English can FRO and Darcy in the ruck is detrimental to our performance.

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 10:25 PM
Pretty frustrating

bornadog
12-04-2024, 10:25 PM
Pretty frustrating
sure is

lemmon
12-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Don't know about Sanders subbed out while I'm watching this kind of footy from Bramble, Baker and Gallagher as outside runners.

josie
12-04-2024, 10:27 PM
Coach killer game. I had a sinking feeling Q1. Please prove me wrong Dogs.

bornadog
This umpiring is just crap.

Why didn't English get interference ? Bullshit free to Stringer

chef
We're done. Stick a fork in us.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 10:28 PM
Soft from a couple there (English and Macrae)

bornadog
12-04-2024, 10:28 PM
Stringer gutless hates body contact

chef
12-04-2024, 10:29 PM
Stringer gutless hates body contact

Sounds like a few of our boys.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 10:29 PM
What would be great is if the ground was stable enough for the players to have confidence in running and/or bouncing the ball too

lemmon
12-04-2024, 10:30 PM
Need the leaders to stand up here.

Happy Days
12-04-2024, 10:35 PM
Man that’s one of the worst quarters of footy I’ve ever seen.

chef
This is as embarrassing as the WCE game last season. Weak as piss.

1eyedog
Cannot hit a target.

whythelongface
12-04-2024, 10:36 PM
We are making the Bombers look like world beaters. Unbelievable

hujsh
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/025/543/eca.png

The Bulldogs Bite
MC have tried throwing the magnets around a little.

We're just no good.

bornadog
12 players with 10 or less disposals.

Grantysghost
Lucky we dropped Caleb

kruder
12-04-2024, 10:37 PM
Back flankers killed us two weeks straight

whythelongface
12-04-2024, 10:37 PM
Man that’s one of the worst quarters of footy I’ve ever seen.

Some of our play was downright awful. That passage with Bramble and JJ in particular

G-Mo77
12-04-2024, 10:38 PM
Lucky we dropped Caleb

Drop English next week! That is something I'd agree with

bornadog
12-04-2024, 10:39 PM
Some of our play was downright awful. That passage with Bramble and JJ in particular

JJ really disapointing, have not seen him run and bounce again. We are moving the ball then Turning it over

Bumper Bulldogs
Gee we can still win this. We a lift from Libba and English and we e win by 3 goals

Simple really

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
This is the problem often with guys like Bramble, they have a streak where only their good traits show, but then you get games like this where their bushleague level traits in some aspects take centre stage, and you start to see whey they ultimately were delisted before.

That's not to say delisted players can't be good, but I think the successful ones, somehow learn to either mitigate their weaknesses to an extent that their either neutral or only a minor negative.

Grantysghost
12-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Worst I've seen him play for a couple of years.

JanLorMill
Well 850K on offer is way over.

ledge
We won’t win this , we are missing goals we should get , turning it over with no pressure , umpires might as well be wearing black and red.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 10:41 PM
To say a massive last quarter is required is a super under statement.

A lot of guys have got to lift here. This will show what we're made of.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 10:41 PM
Oh god and now I'm having to listen to Garry Lyon. Please someone make it stop

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 10:42 PM
Weightman would want to have a big last term.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 10:45 PM
Thank goodness for Duryea.

chef
12-04-2024, 10:46 PM
Game over

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 10:47 PM
Umps having a massive influence.

We are not helping ourselves. But gee whiz.

ledge
12-04-2024, 10:47 PM
Game over , this is rubbish they have no forwards at all and one backman and we still lose

whythelongface
12-04-2024, 10:49 PM
Umps having a massive influence.

We are not helping ourselves. But gee whiz.

Umpires are pathetic

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 10:50 PM
How is that not a free to JOD?

hujsh
I'm not watching this

lemmon
JOD had his head ripped off and nothing

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 10:51 PM
My two men sons are let down by the Dogs tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wow,we have lost all method now.

And the umpiring just continues to kick us in the nuts too.

chef
The umpiring is the least of our problems

Grantysghost
Can we try Naughton back hes a woeful forward.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 10:52 PM
JOD had his head ripped off and nothing

I thought the same, had a look at the replay, it was actually fine.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2024, 10:52 PM
Now we're running into each other.
We've cracked.

ledge
12-04-2024, 10:53 PM
Could see this happening a mile away after last week the media putting it to the bombers. Why couldn’t the club see it ?

lemmon
Things are going to get messy in the media this week

Mantis
Bye, bye Bevo.

ledge
Roll the dice sign has gone up

chef
Can we try Naughton back hes a woeful forward.

Yep, what's to lose

whythelongface
12-04-2024, 10:54 PM
The umpiring is the least of our problems

True. But we need to take some positives from the game.

westbulldog
Outplayed, uncompetitive, embarrassing, listless, still can't kick straight, poorly coached, pathetic sums it up.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Goodnight ladies and gentleman.
I'm not going to stay for the dissection tonight. I'll respond tomorrow, once I've settled. I'd rather do something more productive tonight than acknowledge what we served up tonight.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 10:55 PM
Pathetic.
Someone must hang for this weak performance.
Tje B9nt era is ruined.

Rocket Science
It's okay everyone we have a sign with some dice on it.

BornInDroopSt'54
Percentage and hope in ruins!

The Bulldogs Bite
Yeah, bye Luke. You're cooked. Been cooked for a long time.

chef
12-04-2024, 10:56 PM
True. But we need to take some positives from the game.

Man, what positives can you take from this dumpster fire.

It's a coach killer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Bye, bye Bevo.

He is approaching the event horizon, no doubt. The spaceship Bevo will need to change its course in weeks, or its too late.

MrMahatma
Reckon this is a coach killer.

Happy Days
**** these guys. See you all in three maybe four days.

DOG GOD
12-04-2024, 10:57 PM
The writing was on the wall in that first quarter. English absolutely bullied by Goldstein and Draper, and was always going to happen.

BornInDroopSt'54
This game is a lanxe to the heart.
Talent galore and piss poor, Bevo!

The Adelaide Connection
If we lost every game and beat Essendon I would still be somewhat contented.

This is hard to stomach.

ledge
This is disgusting

whythelongface
I can’t believe this performance. Absolutely pathetic

ledge
12-04-2024, 10:58 PM
Pressure coming now for Bevo no excuse for this

DOG GOD
Literally given up now.

angelopetraglia
This is as bad a loss as you will ever see. We have embarrassed ourselves against a basket case under the Friday night lights.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 10:59 PM
Bevo you call this morivation?
8calk you lost, sadly lost as a coach.
Give us ahard arse backmen ascoach.
Tjexloae relationshio and loyalry to player is a disaster!

dukedog
12-04-2024, 10:59 PM
Lol... sell tim english... he is soft as . Game plans is a joke.

DOG GOD
12-04-2024, 11:00 PM
10 of the last 11 goals. Haha

DOG GOD
12-04-2024, 11:00 PM
Lol... sell tim english... he is soft as . Game plans is a joke.
He?s certainly not worth 850k lol

Rocket Science
12-04-2024, 11:01 PM
Dale's been on for 11 minutes and already jibbed at least three contests.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 11:01 PM
Pl3ase 3xcuse misguided word processing minus glasses but not my disgust.

lemmon
12-04-2024, 11:02 PM
After losing to Hawthorn and West Coast last year, it's all well and good to shuffle around assistant coaches or throw the whiteboard magnets around, but it's time to change the one bloke who's been pretty untouched.

DOG GOD
12-04-2024, 11:02 PM
1 goal since HT to a team I rate as top 3 worse defences (on paper). Geez

dukedog
12-04-2024, 11:03 PM
Lol our kicking

BornInDroopSt'54
Tim English can be transported back to England.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
This is both coach and career killing for some players too.
I really am turning off now and going to play some serene No Man's Sky instead.
Bye peeps. I'll post tomorrow with a clearer head, because right now, my needle is starting to shift in terms of whether Bevo should stay or go, for the first time. This troubles me.
But for me. Pre game Buckley said or to the effect of 'if the Bulldogs play fast, Essendon will love it and it will give them the best chance of success. I'd say Bevo has seen how Port played them last week and will respond accordingly game style wise and we'll see them be more patient with ball....''

Nope..

ledge
Ok one good thing , Darcy.

dukedog
12-04-2024, 11:06 PM
Saints next week... dockers in perth following.... Good luck bevo.

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 11:07 PM
I think we should sack Bevo now… in game. Make a point. This season is officially wasted.

KT31
12-04-2024, 11:07 PM
Embarrassing, insipid and totally unacceptable performance.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 11:12 PM
Every week a coach brings a different game plan to beat us. This week we didn?t lose to the transition game. They made it a I?m close fight and we were not up to it.

There first six goals originated from a free kick, which has to be a record. I thought the umps kept them in it early. We looked the better team.

Half way through the second we had control. We looked like we would gap them. Didn?t take a few chances.

After that, we didn?t look like scoring. We hang in there, but didn?t throw any punches.

A few 50/50 calls didn?t go our way that resulted in two quick goals after Marra missed a simple opportunity to close the game to a kick.

After that, they lifted and we just crumbled. Embarrassing. Pathetic. Disgraceful. Throw in any other adjective you want.

We are cooked. Put a fork in us.

ledge
12-04-2024, 11:16 PM
Tim English can be transported back to England.

Hey ! **** off not ours lol

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 11:16 PM
With the game in the balance we let a pedestrian team that is injury riddled kick six consecutive goals against us

ledge
12-04-2024, 11:18 PM
So I’ve already had bomber supporters mouth off . So I said come back to me when you win a flag this century and they think 2000 was this century lol

jeemak
12-04-2024, 11:19 PM
Glad I came. Absolute coach killer.

Mantis
12-04-2024, 11:20 PM
What an embarrassing performance.

I can?t see how Beveridge survives this.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 11:20 PM
Chris Grant,
This aged pensioner will give you $200 to 2xecute Luke Beveridge's tenure.
The Fates have decreed, forget the Ides of March, beware the 19th of April wirhout decisive surgery of coaching staff.
Such agreat side pathetic, as bad as teams Whitten had to suffer.

JanLorMill
12-04-2024, 11:22 PM
Reckon this is a coach killer.
We said that about the gws loss, the hawks loss and west coast loss.

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 11:23 PM
What an embarrassing performance.

I can?t see how Beveridge survives this.

He shouldn?t. Enough is enough. Weeks and season matter. Someone call Simpson.

merantau
12-04-2024, 11:24 PM
Every week a coach brings a different game plan to beat us. This week we didn?t lose to the transition game. They made it a I?m close fight and we were not up to it.

There first six goals originated from a free kick, which has to be a record. I thought the umps kept them in it early. We looked the better team.

Half way through the second we had control. We looked like we would gap them. Didn?t take a few chances.

After that, we didn?t look like scoring. We hang in there, but didn?t throw any punches.

A few 50/50 calls didn?t go our way that resulted in two quick goals after JOD missed a simple opportunity to close the game to a kick.

After that, they lifted and we just crumbled. Embarrassing. Pathetic. Disgraceful. Throw in any other adjective you want.

Sadly, I think you might be on the money. I cannot understand how we can dominate the game in the second quarter and then just go to water. It was really embarrassing.

The same old problems are still there. We just don't take our chances and so many of those are gimmes!

We are in trouble. There is no doubt about it. That was a game we should have won and we blew it big time.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 11:25 PM
Swamp

Most recent 4 quarter wins for ESS
2024 R05 v WBD
2023 R11 v wce
2022 R20 v nth
2022 R18 v gcs
2021 R17 v adel
2021 R03 v stk

Ha. Lose the last quarter to a team who never wins the last quarter. Gee whiz.

Rocket Science
12-04-2024, 11:25 PM
Just tremendous that we continue to rock a game plan that means if Bont & Libba don't poll Brownlow votes we basically lose.

jazzadogs
12-04-2024, 11:29 PM
Just tremendous that we continue to rock a game plan that means if Bont & Libba don't poll Brownlow votes we basically lose.

Is that game plan or personnel?

Who stepped up and played a good game in their place?

I put this loss at English's feet, more than Beveridge. He was monstered in the exact way that we all knew he would be. It flowed from there.

kruder
12-04-2024, 11:30 PM
The timing of it all with players out of contract and now a coach under significant pressure. It all started with Tim English tonight make no mistake his first quarter was beyond?. Bevo has made a statement by dropping AA talent but it looks like the rest of the group hasn?t responded and its now questionable whether they are behind him. 50k awesome crowd sad night for the football club.

The Bulldogs Bite
Libba decked by Stringer, on all fours, nobody does a thing.

A vision of our soulless footy club.

BornInDroopSt'54
It as obvious as a bulldog's knackers that the coach has list the players who played wirhout belif or hope.
Moreover the game plan is shizenhausen!
Cut deep is b3st pol7cy, a hard prune into old wood required.
We ain't going nowhere with our great hopes.
Like a death 8n the family, we must find new life from rot!

josie
12-04-2024, 11:34 PM

Yep. That told us a lot.

Mantis
12-04-2024, 11:38 PM

Draper mocking Libba after said tackle and not being put on his ass was worse.

We stand for nothing.

macca
12-04-2024, 11:39 PM
Was at the game tonight
The umpires were down right cheating tonight ..
4 goals to bs free kicks. In the first quarter. And some of the softest over the shoulder taps.

The players looked dejected at 3 qtr time and played even worse than essendon . They had to double down and worker harder.

There was some selfish footy tonight by our players. These type of games are coach killers i am afraid.

How on earth can ordinary players like langford get some much space.
Some serious sole searching needs to be done this week.

Happy Days
12-04-2024, 11:39 PM
Draper mocking Libba after said tackle and not being put on his ass was worse.

We stand for nothing.

I think if you do anything to Draper the teachers aide comes in and tells you off.

Uninformed
12-04-2024, 11:45 PM

A few 50/50 calls didn?t go our way that resulted in two quick goals after Marra missed a simple opportunity to close the game to a kick.

Didn't get to watch the game. This seems a nice summary. Any other thoughts on why we lost? (Other than sack to coach, please..)

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 11:46 PM
The crap irony is Dons fired up after being called soft all week, we weak as an old teabag.
So do we fire up next week?
No, hope killed.
I will take up golf.
There's always next year.
A dark day in FFC history like WCE pathetic effort.
We have every reason to hope with our list, I fear Bont will need to wait a few years yet, a dusty path to another premiership.
This ship is marooned and it gives me the flying shizenhausen!

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2024, 11:48 PM
Libba is my hero.

Grantysghost
12-04-2024, 11:51 PM

Same happened with Harmes rd 1

Worst part for me tonight was the disintegration of our game plan.
We had no answers when the real heat came.

English spoiled by Heppell was indicative of the difference in desire.

Really spiritless performance. I vacillate between not having the cattle and not having the gameplan / buy in to the message.

Maybe, just maybe... Its both.

We've got no injuries to speak of either.

Crikey, bad times ahead.

Where was Bont for long parts of the third quarter?

lemmon
12-04-2024, 11:53 PM
Channel 7 showing footage of Libba collapsing in the middle of the ground not long after the Stringer hit. Hope he's okay

Warrnambulldog
12-04-2024, 11:54 PM
Team were flat, and so are we.
Highlighted by Bont and English. Do not know how we get killed out of the middle so often with the names we have in there. English dropped some sitters that he usually takes too.
Have been impressed by Bramble and Bakers start to the year but gee they were both sloppy and costly.
Gallagher quiet. Some bad goalkicking. Umps didn?t help.
We?ve got some soul searching to do. Not sure whether there has been some faith lost with the coach by unsettling the group with his ?evolution?

angelopetraglia
13-04-2024, 12:10 AM
How does our midfield lose Centre Clearances 10-16? At one stage it was 5-10? To this Esssendon midfield? How?

That started all their drive. Tim English just got monstered. The most disturbing part is Bevo saw it coming. He called it out in his presser. So we planned for it. He asked Tim for a big effort and he probably had one of the worse games I have seen him play. He was pushed around. He gave away a cheap free kick for the first goal. He dropped marks he normally takes. He wasn't physical enough in some critical contests.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2024, 12:10 AM
Channel 7 showing footage of Libba collapsing in the middle of the ground not long after the Stringer hit. Hope he's okay

Gutless weak hit from Stringer. But they were doing it all night. How many bone crunching tackles did they hit us with tonight. When they had a chance to bury us they did.

Mantis
13-04-2024, 12:13 AM
Gutless weak hit from Stringer. But they were doing it all night. How many bone crunching tackles did they hit us with tonight. When they had a chance to bury us they did.

How was it gutless?

Libba was open and he hit him hard, fairly though? no issue with that from me. How we responded was gutless.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2024, 12:14 AM
How does our midfield lose Centre Clearances 10-16? At one stage it was 5-10? To this Esssendon midfield? How?

That started all their drive. Tim English just got monstered. The most disturbing part is Bevo saw it coming. He called it out in his presser. So we planned for it. He asked Tim for a big effort and he probably had one of the worse games I have seen him play. He was pushed around. He gave away a cheap free kick for the first goal. He dropped marks he normally takes. He wasn't physical enough in some critical contests.

How many times can we say the same thing about English though? The fact some still think he's worth anything above $700k is ridiculous. He won the AA role by default last year because many of the rucks were injured for periods of the year, or in the case of Gawn/Grundy, spent half the year cancelling each other out.

He's a midfielder trapped in a rucks body. He lets us down in the same way over and over again.

Warrnambulldog
13-04-2024, 12:21 AM
Cannot stand Geelong and Essendon and the Scott twins. Painful couple of weeks