PDA

View Full Version : Open Season on Aaron Naughton??

mjp
09-04-2024, 06:33 PM
Rightio. Apparently getting into Aaron is the trend of the week.

Like - no worries, he's a big boy. But comparing goals kicked vs goals kicked by Hawkins/Curnow etc at the same number of games...what's that about?

#1 - Different players, different clubs, different roles etc.
#2 - As everyone keeps saying, he played his first year down back...hard to kick goals from there.
#3 - On the weekend (which seems to have triggered the conversation), is he being criticised for playing higher? That seemed to be a directive and it seemed to work from a team perspective...

I don't get it...like - go at him for sure, but why now??

bornadog
09-04-2024, 06:44 PM
Naughton's role has changed this year. He is no longer playing deep and tends to roam up the field, yet people are still carrying on about he hasn't kicked many goals this year etc etc. He is still ranked 16th in AFL for Goal Assists.

Here is a comparison with Hawkins taking into the years Naughton played as a forward. Stacks up pretty well

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKsMqBWaQAAFJNv?format=jpg&name=large

Rocket Science
09-04-2024, 06:44 PM
Can I go on record as having had the shits with Naughts for some time?

We're very lucky to have him. We'd be far luckier if he grew up a bit while noting he's got plenty of company on that front and it extends beyond condensing it down to how many goals he's potting.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2024, 06:49 PM
I agree - seems a weird week to go after his return on goals given his role was clearly to be a conduit further up the field and leave more space up front of others to have the spoils.

I’m ok with Naughton - he’s never going to win a Coleman, but if he can help us transition the ball forward, enable teammates to get shots on goal, apply defensive effort and do a few “critical moment, big boy” type things then that’s a good result for us.

The length of his contract means people are going to think we’re not getting return on investment, so it will continue.

chef
09-04-2024, 06:51 PM
We're just playing him up the wrong end.

The Underdog
09-04-2024, 07:34 PM
We're just playing him up the wrong end.

Honestly, if we’re going to do the Naughton forward v back debate for another 8 years, I might just tap out now.

Mofra
09-04-2024, 07:41 PM
Can I go on record as having had the shits with Naughts for some time?

We're very lucky to have him. We'd be far luckier if he grew up a bit while noting he's got plenty of company on that front and it extends beyond condensing it down to how many goals he's potting.
I'm confused here. A week after playing a completely selfless game and sacrificing goals for the team this year by changing his role, and working hard on his tank to play high up the ground, he has to grow up a bit?

I really don't understand.

GVGjr
09-04-2024, 08:48 PM
There are a few things working against Naughton which are driving some of the negativity towards him.

Signing a long term deal that was heavily criticized by a couple in the media shines the spotlight on him just a bit brighter
The ongoing 'should he play forward' or 'should he play back' discussion
He's now regarded as a senior player despite his age
A slight change in his role means he probably won't get as many goals as many expected and I don't think the media has picked up on this
The fast start by some other key forwards in the competition
And for some of those weasels in the media they can get at Bevo and push the mad scientist and stubborn barrow indirectly by getting at Naughton

Of course a win against Geelong would have put this on the back burner just a bit but it would still be flickering away.

Naughton's a fine player and is impeccable in the way he prepares himself but a big contract and an unpopular coach in the media circles means he's fair game for some.

I'll back him in to turn it around very soon and the select few in the media who have an axe to grind with the coach can get stuffed.

Grantysghost
09-04-2024, 09:12 PM
He's probably a victim of his early success.

It feels like he's plateaued when really he's still a young player building into his prime years.

He was fine v the Cats. Played a role based game and worked his arse off.

I like that role for him.

Warrnambulldog
09-04-2024, 09:26 PM
Big fan of Naughts, however the vision ?On the Couch? was damning. He needs to get into more dangerous spots. I get that sometimes he decoys but I hope he gets shown the footage they bought up.
I disagreed with some of what they said ?On the Couch?, I think Naughts can be quite dangerous up the field. Hoping he can consistently get involved in more games, the team will benefit a lot from it

Grantysghost
09-04-2024, 09:33 PM
Honestly, if we’re going to do the Naughton forward v back debate for another 8 years, I might just tap out now.
https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOXo2NGQybzY5c3psZGc0NnN2eXR1b2ZqYm52MzQ2e Ww3aHE3ZXdzZiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/k7D6JtncCTQnvQ26ee/giphy.gif

EasternWest
09-04-2024, 09:38 PM

No you won't. You're a masochist like the rest of us.

Twodogs
09-04-2024, 09:39 PM
There are a few things working against Naughton which are driving some of the negativity towards him.

Signing a long term deal that was heavily criticized by a couple in the media shines the spotlight on him just a bit brighter
The ongoing 'should he play forward' or 'should he play back' discussion
He's now regarded as a senior player despite his age
A slight change in his role means he probably won't get as many goals as many expected and I don't think the media has picked up on this
The fast start by some other key forwards in the competition
And for some of those weasels in the media they can get at Bevo and push the mad scientist and stubborn barrow indirectly by getting at Naughton

Of course a win against Geelong would have put this on the back burner just a bit but it would still be flickering away.

Naughton's a fine player and is impeccable in the way he prepares himself but a big contract and an unpopular coach in the media circles means he's fair game for some.

I'll back him in to turn it around very soon and the select few in the media who have an axe to grind with the coach can get stuffed.

Hear ****ing hear.

Spot on

mighty_west
09-04-2024, 09:46 PM
The old should he play back or forward debate is getting so tiresome, i truly believe his best position is what he is now, a roaming centre half forward playing up the field, he can be more damaging that way as a player and for the team, he's a good runner and we know he's a bloody good mark so that role suits him to a tee imo, get up the wings, get back deeper at times but just keep moving around, we now have other tall forward options to allow us that luxury where's in the past we didn't, so he doesn't have to boot a bag of goals to have a great game, it also makes the forward line less congested with all these big talls competing against one another.

Could he play at CHB? sure, but you'd want a full pre season to work on that, he was pushed back once last season? and looked like a fish out of water, but then at the same time, Darcy is still a pup and Jamarra will get the number 1 defender and continue to be double and triple teamed.

The long term deal, and this is what get's up my goat, as a club i feel as though we had to be pressured somewhat to strike this deal, with West Coast and especially Sydney reportedly offering him a 10 plus years deal over a mill each season, now, we went 8 which i'm actually reasonably comfortable with as he's a quality player and should be for a long time (hense those other clubs with those offers so they see it too), but ours being nowhere near what they offered "apparently", so why oh why don't those clubs cop the wrath of the media for offering such massive deals? i mean, they offered and if he did a Cal Ward and said sorry lads but i can't not accept a deal that big then those deals (much bigger and longer than ours) are in play, they offered them so why aren't they heavily criticized for them? Yeah yeah i know you have to offer more to prize a player out but c'mon, that's just an unbelievable offer and contract had he accepted.

ledge
09-04-2024, 10:27 PM
So they want him to move back and when Bevo moves him up the ground he isn’t kicking enough goals.
Oh the media , we can see why players are told not to be on social media.

josie
09-04-2024, 10:53 PM
Every other team would love to have him. Naughts is ours. He?ll have some weeks better than others like all players. I think he?ll improve in his new roaming forward role and become more consistent. I love his ability to compete at ground level, his repeat efforts and the support he offers to his teammates during and in between play, as well as his marking prowess.

As GvGjr wisely said, the negative Nellie?s in the media can get stuffed.

Uninformed
09-04-2024, 10:59 PM
Critics will crit.

Naughton is a magnificent player.

Would love to see him in the centre circle sometimes when Bont. rests forward.

That tap the rucks sometimes manage to Bont, that is too high for the average mid to shark, and then we are away is a thing of beauty. Could easily see that working with Naughton who is also very good a the ground ball contest.

Rocket Science
10-04-2024, 12:37 AM
I'm confused here. A week after playing a completely selfless game and sacrificing goals for the team this year by changing his role, and working hard on his tank to play high up the ground, he has to grow up a bit?

I really don't understand.

It's slightly beside the point but I hadn't the slightest idea OTC critiqued Naughton this week until it was pointed out here but having now caught it their queries around his immature forward craft hold plenty of water, particularly given he's a - and arguably the - focal point of our attack. Brown's a monotone gronk but if there's one thing I'd defer to him on it's the art of key forward-ing.

Regardless, frustration with Naughts isn't based on the past week, or month, or fickle media whims, it's observable, pattern-forming traits in his game over the past two seasons that're showing few signs of maturing to the extent it feels like he's the same player he was 2 or 3 seasons ago operating with roughly the same bag of tricks.

He's a beast who can fly, rip balls out of the air and kick it a mile, occasionally even on target. That's great. It's also predictable and easy to defend by well organised opponents. He's allowed fewer and fewer contests on terms that suit him so unless his game evolves are we content paying a bloke something approaching seven figures to be the designated selfless guy to drag his opponent away from the action?

Yes it's more nuanced than that and we're plainly embracing change this season so it's tremendous #33 has bought in with a seemingly modified role to date. Hopefully it's an entree to some deeper reflection among Naughts and the coaches about how to grow his game, maximise his contributions and find collective success in the process.

The bar's unapologetically high and after the past two seasons it needs to be.

ratsmac
10-04-2024, 02:42 AM
Naughton up the ground means he doesn't fly over packs in the goal square and spoil his own team mates seems ok by me.

Naughton up the ground opens up our forward line as well. I hate seeing the forward line constantly congested and the ball goes up the other end to the opps open forward line. There other factors to allow the opposition to congest their d50 obviously but it feels this year with Naughton pushing up the field more that our f50 has been more open than in the past. It's about finding the perfect balance atm.

Chris Scott gets praised for pushing Cameron to the wing because they won by 4 points. Would Bevo get the praise for Naughton playing higher up the ground if had of pinched it?

jazzadogs
10-04-2024, 12:11 PM
link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/losing-all-confidence-concerns-over-lost-dog-as-bizarre-stat-reveals-power-forwards-slump/news-story/89bedcc9cbced6acba785ce4e9e787e3) to the On The Couch segment.

I agree he's got some positioning to improve in his new role, as there were times he was too close (why have a contested marking beast 15m from a boundary throw in?) but I agree with Buckley that Naughton is there as part of a plan.

Only being targeted 10 times inside 50 is because he's not stationed inside 50 as much. We have identified that Marra and Lobb/Darcy are better suited to this role.

I've been pleased with his new role and start to the season.

Dazza
10-04-2024, 01:16 PM
I actually think Naughtons been ok this season.

mjp
10-04-2024, 01:31 PM
I actually think Naughtons been ok this season.

I think that's my point mate...why now???

Every time I turned the TV on this week he's been under attack - but what's he actually been doing wrong? vs Geelong I thought he was a bit better than OK and everyone has decided to have a go.

mighty_west
10-04-2024, 03:02 PM

Every time I turned the TV on this week he's been under attack - but what's he actually been doing wrong? vs Geelong I thought he was a bit better than OK and everyone has decided to have a go.

Because he didn't trouble the scoreboard, that's what people judge him on and don't see the big picture and his role of playing further up the ground, 16 or so disposals and a half a dozen marks stats wise is a very decent game for his position, compared to round 1 where he kicked a goal but only 1 mark and 6 disposals for the game where he was soundly beaten.

Some people and media have to realize that playing a true CHF position, he's probably not going to impact the scoreboard as much but will help provide opportunities for our other forwards.

Happy Days
10-04-2024, 03:05 PM

Because thoughtful considered and accurate criticism actually requires watching the games.

jeemak
10-04-2024, 03:09 PM

Trying to get under Bevo's skin, since he's batted away criticism of his handling of Daniel and Macrae and has largely been proved correct in how he's handled them to this point in the season.

bornadog
10-04-2024, 03:45 PM
link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/losing-all-confidence-concerns-over-lost-dog-as-bizarre-stat-reveals-power-forwards-slump/news-story/89bedcc9cbced6acba785ce4e9e787e3) to the On The Couch segment.

I agree he's got some positioning to improve in his new role, as there were times he was too close (why have a contested marking beast 15m from a boundary throw in?) but I agree with Buckley that Naughton is there as part of a plan.

Only being targeted 10 times inside 50 is because he's not stationed inside 50 as much. We have identified that Marra and Lobb/Darcy are better suited to this role.

I've been pleased with his new role and start to the season.

Buckley the only one that made sense. The only thing I agree on with Brown is the last minute where Naughton could have positioned himself better to take a big mark in the F50

mjp
10-04-2024, 04:11 PM

I get everyone is talking about the OTC thing, but Footy Classified via Matthew Lloyd had a crack as well.

GVGjr
10-04-2024, 04:33 PM
I get everyone is talking about the OTC thing, but Footy Classified via Matthew Lloyd had a crack as well.

I can accept that the Naughton too the back line is a discussion point among those in the media but I think they're underestimating that there has been a slight role change for Naughton this year which will result in less goals than he normally kicks for us.
He's been playing reasonably well but the media hasn't picked up on it.
I think there are a few in the media who are are trying to ramp up pressure on Bevo and this is one easy option to achieve that.

jazzadogs
10-04-2024, 04:52 PM
I can accept that the Naughton too the back line is a discussion point among those in the media but I think they're underestimating that there has been a slight role change for Naughton this year which will result in less goals than he normally kicks for us.
He's been playing reasonably well but the media hasn't picked up on it.
I think there are a few in the media who are are trying to ramp up pressure on Bevo and this is one easy option to achieve that.

When they talk about him not being targetted inside 50, they are so close to figuring it out. But then they ramble about why we're not targeting our power forward.

jazzadogs
10-04-2024, 04:53 PM

I don't watch either show, but saw the comments about on the couch so thought I'd hunt for it.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:25 PM
% of score involvements for your team

Hogan 35%
Naughton 33%
Daniher 32%
J Cameron 30%
McKay 29%
Curnow 28%
Dixon 25%
Marra 23%

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:27 PM
Goal Assist Avg

Hogan 1.3
Naughton 1.3
Daniher 0.5
J Cameron 0.5
McKay 0.5
Curnow 0.3
Marra 0.3
Dixon 0.3

jeemak
10-04-2024, 05:27 PM
That just tells me how amazing all of the other players are, and that Luke Beveridge has a real problem with his overpaid star player not getting on the end of scoring chains.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:34 PM
Inside 50s

Daniher 5.5
J Cameron 3.5
Naughton 3.3
Marra 3.0
Curnow 2.8
McKay 2.3
Dixon 1.5
Hogan 1.0

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:36 PM
Obvious that he is playing a very different role and you just need to look at his stats verus the last few seasons to see that. So many lazy journalists or the cynic in me says that they just choose the story they want to tell to push their own already existing narrative.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:39 PM
Naughton in 2023 v 2024

Score Involement 26% Vs 33%
Goal Assists 1.0 Vs 1.3
Inside 50s 1.9 Vs 3.3

So Aaron is being beat up for being involved in more scores than last year. An incredible 33% of scores he is involved in. Generating 33% more goal assists per game and generating a lot more inside 50s.

Go it. March on to you next made up target.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Score Involvement % for entire league. Top 20. Naughton in pretty elite company.

Christian Petracca 40.8
Max King 39.1
Isaac Heeney 37.1
Jake Waterman 36.8
Marcus Bontempelli 35.2
Jesse Hogan 34.8
Hugh Greenwood 33.3
Touk Miller 33.3
Zach Merrett 33.3
Aaron Naughton 33.0
Jack Higgins 33.0
Elliot Yeo 32.9
Jamie Cripps 32.9
Connor Rozee 32.8
Patrick Dangerfield 32.7
Lloyd Meek 32.4
Joe Daniher 32.3
Dylan Moore 32.1
James Worpel 32.1
Liam Henry 31.9

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 05:46 PM
Naughton only behind Bontepelli for Goal Assists and % of Score Involvements for the Dogs.

jeemak
10-04-2024, 05:50 PM
Yeah but isn't Connor Rozee amazing? He just does everything.

mjp
10-04-2024, 07:33 PM
Yeah but isn't Connor Rozee amazing? He just does everything.

Connor Rozee is actually amazing.

jeemak
10-04-2024, 07:39 PM
Connor Rozee is actually amazing.

Yeah he is. But he isn't involved in scoring as much as Aaron Naughton is. Therefore, Naughton is amazing!

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 01:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GK2bQ5zaQAA4pad?format=jpg&name=900x900

jazzadogs
11-04-2024, 01:52 PM
I really liked Bevo's response. Aligned with a lot of what has been said in this thread, by people who have actually watched Aaron play this year.

Sedat
11-04-2024, 02:11 PM
I really liked Bevo's response. Aligned with a lot of what has been said in this thread, by people who have actually watched Aaron play this year.
There's something like 4 million deadshits covering AFEL in the media, and not one of them can see the bleeding obvious in relation to how Naughts has been deployed within our system the last few weeks.

#CoNtEnT

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 02:15 PM
There's something like 4 million deadshits covering AFEL in the media, and not one of them can see the bleeding obvious in relation to how Naughts has been deployed within our system the last few weeks.

#CoNtEnT

There is an abundance of journalists who want to cover "breaking news" and the sensationalist stories. There is a lack of journalists who are doing proper deep dive analysis that the people who contribute on this board would appreciate.

The contributers on this board offer a lot more when it comes to actually understanding what is happening within the games when it comes to the Western Bulldogs (and also other teams) compared with all the journalists who are paid full time to cover the game.

bornadog
11-04-2024, 02:27 PM
There is an abundance of journalists who want to cover "breaking news" and the sensationalist stories. There is a lack of journalists who are doing proper deep dive analysis that the people who contribute on this board would appreciate.

The contributors on this board offer a lot more when it comes to actually understanding what is happening within the games when it comes to the Western Bulldogs (and also other teams) compared with all the journalists who are paid full time to cover the game.

Addressing the OP, and as Sedat said there are 4 million deadshits covering the game, yet they all go with the same topic. Can't these fools think for themselves

mjp
11-04-2024, 05:02 PM

I'm actually glad Bevo addressed it. It really did feel like it was 'Topic of the Week' this week...

Ozza
12-04-2024, 12:33 AM
Glad that we have Naughton moving up the ground. I'd still prefer to have been playing as a defender, but I'm keen to see how it works with him roaming up the ground.

Brutally honest - I think he has pretty ordinary forward instincts - particularly if you compare him to Darcy and Marra who get to the right spots and in particular with Marra, time their leads really well. Getting Naughton up higher, clearing out room for Marra and using Naughton's aerial traits to compete around the ground could help us. Incredibly disappointing that we didn't do this in the Melbourne game to open the season.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 01:02 AM
Glad that we have Naughton moving up the ground. I'd still prefer to have been playing as a defender, but I'm keen to see how it works with him roaming up the ground.

Brutally honest - I think he has pretty ordinary forward instincts - particularly if you compare him to Darcy and Marra who get to the right spots and in particular with Marra, time their leads really well. Getting Naughton up higher, clearing out room for Marra and using Naughton's aerial traits to compete around the ground could help us. Incredibly disappointing that we didn't do this in the Melbourne game to open the season.

WE actually started the game against Melbourne with Naughton sitting on the 50m arc. He kicked the first goal from 45 out. I believe he got a knock and was forced deeper so he didn't have to run much and make May accountable.

Ozza
12-04-2024, 01:11 AM
WE actually started the game against Melbourne with Naughton sitting on the 50m arc. He kicked the first goal from 45 out. I believe he got a knock and was forced deeper so he didn't have to run much and make May accountable.

Geez, I dunno that seems a stretch. I don't remember anything about him being injured, but he was not only a non-factor, but May had 25 possessions and completely ran the game.

azabob
12-04-2024, 08:50 AM
Geez, I dunno that seems a stretch. I don't remember anything about him being injured, but he was not only a non-factor, but May had 25 possessions and completely ran the game.

Beveridge mentioned during the week after the game he received a knock early, I think Naughton even made an appearance in the rehab group at training.