PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 5 vs Essendon 2024

GVGjr
12-04-2024, 10:25 AM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R5 encounter against Essendon.

westdog54
12-04-2024, 11:24 PM
1. We've got no one else who can carry the team when Bont has an off night.
2. I have lost faith in Luke Beveridge.
3. Essendon supporters can be insufferable.

Bonus entry: Result aside, I've missed being at the football.

westbulldog
12-04-2024, 11:35 PM
1. English is easily outmuscled in ruck contests.
2. Naughton seems to spend the game counting his contract cash.
3. The goalkicking coaching did not work tonight.

Dry Rot
12-04-2024, 11:51 PM
1. Darcy continues to impress

2. I don't watch much Foxtel, so I was surprised to see that Dermott Brereton is both still alive and still on the air.

3. I have not seen Essendon this year, so I was surprised to see that their major sponsor is the leader of the federal opposition.

MrMahatma
12-04-2024, 11:53 PM
1. Time for a new coach
2. Time for a new coach
3. Time for a new coach

Bullies
13-04-2024, 12:05 AM
1. I wanted to believe that we were a good side but we are not.

2. We have no one to fly the flag. Harmes in the first round and Libba today. That says a lot about the team.

3. If we get offered 2 first rounders for English then take it. Tim aint winning us big games.

azabob
13-04-2024, 12:08 AM
1. English looked disinterested tonight. First time I’ve thought that.

2. Gee l thought being owned by one Scott brother was bad… now I’ve learnt we are owned by both

3. I hoped we were a top 6 side… I’ve learnt tonight we are a top ten side at best.

merantau
13-04-2024, 12:15 AM
1. Tim English was a liability tonight.
2. The umpiring was very ordinary.
3. We still have the same deficiencies that we've had for years.

Happy Days
13-04-2024, 12:30 AM
1. English looked disinterested tonight. First time I’ve thought that.

2. Gee l thought being owned by one Scott brother was bad… now I’ve learnt we are owned by both

3. I hoped we were a top 6 side… I’ve learnt tonight we are a top ten side at best.

If this isn’t just spot on.

Grantysghost
13-04-2024, 12:35 AM
1. Naughton is over rated.
2. English is over rated.
3. There's a massive abyss in both effort and talent after Bont and Libba.

josie
13-04-2024, 02:31 AM
1. I wanted to believe that we were a good side but we are not.

2. We have no one to fly the flag. Harmes in the first round and Libba today. That says a lot about the team.

3. If we get offered 2 first rounders for English then take it. Tim aint winning us big games.

Agree with 1 & 2.

On point 3 right now I?d accept one decent first round pick. I I?m not sure other clubs would offer 2 first rounders after Tim?s lacklustre performance tonight.

ratsmac
13-04-2024, 05:55 AM
1. Beveridge has lost this team. Dropping Macrae, Daniel and Dale as sub looks to have sent ripples of un rest through the team.

2. English needs to sign on or let the club know he's leaving because the indecision is clearly effecting his football.

3. The umpires tonight were the worst I've seen for a while. I had to shut my mouth at the game because I started to sound stupid complaining so much. And that was only the first qtr

Bullies
13-04-2024, 07:50 AM
Agree with 1 & 2.

On point 3 right now I?d accept one decent first round pick. I I?m not sure other clubs would offer 2 first rounders after Tim?s lacklustre performance tonight. one early and one late first rounder.

AshMac
13-04-2024, 08:23 AM
1. We?d fooled the non bulldogs footy world with a close game last week which was only due to the shoulder of 2 giants

2. Watching our slick end to end transition in the forward line for no goals was infuriating

3. We were outcoached again but this time beaten by a VFL side

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 09:55 AM
one early and one late first rounder.
That’s highway robbery.
Take a first round compensation pick for a free agent be happy.

ledge
13-04-2024, 11:58 AM
1 Darcy is coming on very well
2 JUH hands are so good he is even taking one handers while holding off opponents. Scary, if only he gets his goal kicking right.
3 umpires might as well have been wearing red and black.
4 That ground was a disgrace to play on. I hope both clubs hit the AFL with a please explain and fine them( works both ways)

westdog54
13-04-2024, 12:03 PM
2 JUH hands are so good he is even taking one handers while holding off opponents. Scary, if only he gets his goal kicking right.
4 That ground was a disgrace to play on. I hope both clubs hit the AFL with a please explain and fine them( works both ways)

It really was horrendously slippery, wasn't it? Docklands has always had it's issues but it was a skating rink last night.

ledge
13-04-2024, 12:05 PM
It really was horrendously slippery, wasn't it? Docklands has always had it's issues but it was a skating rink last night.

I think we had 3 players come off in the vfl due to ankle issues.

SonofScray
13-04-2024, 12:08 PM
1. Sam Darcy is a beacon of hope.
2. Sanders is made of the right stuff, his reaction to being subbed tells me he has the right mix of G and D.
3. essendon are a far superior team than us, I thought we were around the mark with them.

westdog54
13-04-2024, 12:08 PM

Lobb's ankle was iced at full time.

It will look like we're making excuses if we address it publicly but I would hope that we're making a lot of noise behind the scenes about it.

ledge
13-04-2024, 12:15 PM
1. Sam Darcy is a beacon of hope.
2. Sanders is made of the right stuff, his reaction to being subbed tells me he has the right mix of G and D.
3. essendon are a far superior team than us, I thought we were around the mark with them.

Sanders has got it, but 8 possessions in 3/4 for a mid isn’t acceptable.
I’m glad he was upset he should have been. In saying that all our mids had a horror night, although I thought Treloar gave it a dip all night.

1eyedog
13-04-2024, 12:35 PM
Agree with 1 & 2.

On point 3 right now I?d accept one decent first round pick. I I?m not sure other clubs would offer 2 first rounders after Tim?s lacklustre performance tonight.

Someone will make him the best CHF in the comp.

jDogs
13-04-2024, 12:39 PM

I was watching the VFL on the livestream and it looked like Clarke ice skated on the turf and then his foot got trapped. He was hurt, luckily it wasn't more nasty. Disgraceful playing surface.

AshMac
13-04-2024, 05:16 PM

Dear god no. They looked horrendous last night - VFL quality at best. I?d like to think that as dire as things are we are still the better team overall

josie
13-04-2024, 11:22 PM
I was really close to that when it happened -yep I think you?re spot on. I thought he was seriously hurt & he was in a lot of pain. Tough player. Very team oriented. Hope he keeps improving and has opportunity at senior level soon.

Grantysghost
13-04-2024, 11:25 PM
Dear god no. They looked horrendous last night - VFL quality at best. I?d like to think that as dire as things are we are still the better team overall

They aren't super talented, however they are playing with great intensity and Duursma, Gresham and Goldstein have been astute recruits which help balance their list age.
Not a finals side however will be hard to beat especially on the fast deck at Docklands.

JanLorMill
14-04-2024, 12:41 PM
Someone will make him the best CHF in the comp.
He lacks aggression to play ruck not sure putting him in another combative position will work either.

JanLorMill
14-04-2024, 12:48 PM
They aren't super talented, however they are playing with great intensity and Duursma, Gresham and Goldstein have been astute recruits which help balance their list age.
Not a finals side however will be hard to beat especially on the fast deck at Docklands.
A week ago they were being blasted for recruiting these types saying they do not run games out and their desire is questionable.

They have not beaten anyone of note, including us. They make finals it will be a miracle.

Shows how bad we were Friday more than anything.

D Mitchell
14-04-2024, 02:44 PM

Bolded bit. 2 goes at it. He dragged one in in a marking contest whilst airborne. He failed to hold on to the one where he held the defender off. That said, our most productive forward, doubled his match average of goals and improved his conversion rate for the game to 50 %. No tackles and I've seen glaciers move quicker when it comes to chasing defenders in possession.

D Mitchell
14-04-2024, 02:55 PM
1. When the team's off, it's really off, how often do Bont and Libber have off matches at all let alone in the same game ?
2. Turnovers in handball chains. It has to be structural. Is it that the players don't separate enough ?
3. Giving away free kicks in the forward fifty in Q1 killed what little confidence or momentum survived Essendon's ruck dominance. Darcy throwing that Essendon player to the ground giving away 50, that has to be removed from his game.

macca
14-04-2024, 07:00 PM
1. We are stuffed when Libba and Bont are not firing. Its total stupid that we don't employ tagging or blocking as defense to protect them. Like a Daniel chick, enforcer type role .
2. The 3rd quarter was truly shocking to watch as our team played selfish footy and then just dropped their bundle making ridicolous skill errors.

3. The afl truly, truly , really hate us. The umpires must have had a bet going on or a directive to help Essendon ascend from the hubris, because all the 50/50 , softest frees went their way.

Danjul
14-04-2024, 07:10 PM
1. When the team's off, it's really off, how often do Bont and Libber have off matches at all let alone in the same game ?
2. Turnovers in handball chains. It has to be structural. Is it that the players don't separate enough ?
3. Giving away free kicks in the forward fifty in Q1 killed what little confidence or momentum survived Essendon's ruck dominance. Darcy throwing that Essendon player to the ground giving away 50, that has to be removed from his game.

very good observation. They don?t separate enough and have too many in the chain.

Drags those further up the ground into poor positions. Actually prevents the fast ball movement that 35m kicking generates for opponents. Allows opposition to easily lock the play and have a lose spare to capitalise on the turnovers.

Other teams don?t do it our way. So it must be a directive.

Can Bar
15-04-2024, 10:27 AM
Thought Essendon's crowd got them going, Umpires still umpire with their ears, this wont change until they have ear plugs.
We as bulldog supporters have to be ruthless, every free we get we must give "broncs cheers", every tackle we lay must be loud "Ball". Every time we have a player Held/pushed "Holding""in the back" Opposition crowds put pressure on our players, I dont think we are as ruthless. think our 19th man is letting us down.

Scorlibo
15-04-2024, 11:34 AM
Thought Essendon's crowd got them going, Umpires still umpire with their ears, this wont change until they have ear plugs.
We as bulldog supporters have to be ruthless, every free we get we must give "broncs cheers", every tackle we lay must be loud "Ball". Every time we have a player Held/pushed "Holding""in the back" Opposition crowds put pressure on our players, I dont think we are as ruthless. think our 19th man is letting us down.

Agree our crowd noise is subpar. There was a time when we would get lesser crowd numbers but make up for it with extra voice. Now I feel we get out-cheered by interstate teams' supporters.

azabob
15-04-2024, 11:50 AM
Agree our crowd noise is subpar. There was a time when we would get lesser crowd numbers but make up for it with extra voice. Now I feel we get out-cheered by interstate teams' supporters.

Our “supporting effort” mirrors the team’s application. If they can’t be stuffed neither can I.

Scorlibo
15-04-2024, 12:03 PM
Our “supporting effort” mirrors the team’s application. If they can’t be stuffed neither can I.

That's understandable, we all get quieter when the team disappoints, but there is something to be said for stoically supporting the team through thick and thin.

At Adelaide Oval I was sitting on the wing with no shortage of Dogs supporters around. It had been a quiet atmosphere for most of the night. When we kicked the goal to put us within a goal of Geelong in the last our little group started a chant and... crickets. Whole bunch of murmurs and folded arms. Boring! That was the moment to be loud.

Can Bar
15-04-2024, 12:04 PM
Chicken and the egg? Bottom line we are the supporters. Our job is to support. Win Lose or draw. I hate losing like everyone else. But pointing fingers never works. We all have to look at ourselves. The only thing we supporters can influence is a game changing / momentum changing free. we are not the best supporters, we should aim to be.

azabob
15-04-2024, 12:05 PM
That's understandable, we all get quieter when the team disappoints, but there is something to be said for stoically supporting the team through thick and thin.

At Adelaide Oval I was sitting on the wing with no shortage of Dogs supporters around. It had been a quiet atmosphere for most of the night. When we kicked the goal to put us within a goal of Geelong in the last our little group started a chant and... crickets. Whole bunch of murmurs and folded arms. Boring! That was the moment to be loud.

On Friday night on level two on the outer wing on bulldog supporter tried to get the whole Doggy doggy doggy woof woof woof going. Some supporters jumped on board majority did not.

CarnTheScray
15-04-2024, 12:16 PM
Silly talk. It helps to have something to cheer about. Ive been to plenty of games where we are louder even when the crowd is equal at Marvel. We were loud at moments on Friday but once it was clear we were turning in another West Coast-esque performance people gave up.

This mediocrity is clearly getting to people, watching us have moments where the entire team on the field looks like they don't care. I couldn't even get myself cheering because im just bogged down by watching this nightmare repeat over and over for three years. And now that we have pulled this crap off on a big Friday game, the whole footy world is now wondering the same thing: WTF is going on at the Bulldogs.

Bullies
15-04-2024, 12:29 PM
Silly talk. It helps to have something to cheer about. Ive been to plenty of games where we are louder even when the crowd is equal at Marvel. We were loud at moments on Friday but once it was clear we were turning in another West Coast-esque performance people gave up.

This mediocrity is clearly getting to people, watching us have moments where the entire team on the field looks like they don't care. I couldn't even get myself cheering because im just bogged down by watching this nightmare repeat over and over for three years. And now that we have pulled this crap off on a big Friday game, the whole footy world is now wondering the same thing: WTF is going on at the Bulldogs. Agree. As a supporter you never feel in watching them. Even when we have control of a game and look like we have another gear to go we can within the space of a few minutes let in 4 - 5 goals. Game over. Years ago we had that grunt and would bury sides. We don't have that in us anymore. We seem to be very timid as a team and that then flows through to the supporters who have no faith in the playing group. We expect the worse now and hope for the best.

Can Bar
15-04-2024, 01:09 PM
Years ago we had that grunt and would bury sides. We don't have that in us anymore. We seem to be very timid as a team and that then flows through to the supporters who have no faith in the playing group. We expect the worse now and hope for the best. Re Years ago, I remember yelling my head off all game trying to convince an umpire to pay a free and when they did, laugh my head off knowing the umpire got sucked in. If we go into our shell when a team gets a run on, Fearing a repeat of the Melbourne GF outcome. we are playing into the opposition hands. We have to get angrier and louder until we influence a favourable decision. Wrestle back momemtum as they say.

Mantis
15-04-2024, 03:36 PM
1/ Not going to a game we play shit in due to a golf trip is fun.
2/ Watching said game on the big screen with about 30 drinking males who all know you barrack for the loser isn't fun.
3/ I shot even par on a tough course after 4hrs sleep and whilst wearing pink leggings and a tutu so the weekend wasn't a total bust.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2024, 03:43 PM
1/ Not going to a game we play shit in due to a golf trip is fun.
2/ Watching said game on the big screen with about 30 drinking males who all know you barrack for the loser isn't fun.
3/ I shot even par on a tough course after 4hrs sleep and whilst wearing pink leggings and a tutu so the weekend wasn't a total bust.

Upcoming nuptials?

Mantis
15-04-2024, 04:03 PM
Upcoming nuptials?

No... just an annual golf trip. We have a fancy dress on the Saturday and this year's theme was ''pink''.