PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best available senior coach?

Go_Dogs
14-04-2024, 09:05 AM
This thread isn?t one to discuss whether we should (or when we should) make a move, more to get a sense of who is available (either currently an assistant at another club or in the media) and get some thoughts on who we?d like and why. I assume the below is current (copy and paste without fact checking).

So? anyone that stands out from the pack and why?

Josh Carr (Port Adelaide)

The Port Adelaide premiership tagger and ex-Fremantle player has shot to prominence this year on the back of his return to the Power, but Carr has been building the resume of a potential senior coach for 13 years. After starting as an assistant with Port in 2011, he ticked what is seen as an important box by leading his own team as North Adelaide's SANFL coach, winning a premiership in 2018. Crossed to Fremantle when former teammate Justin Longmuir took charge ahead of the 2020 season and guided a young and talented midfield that flourished under him. Was headhunted by the Power as a senior assistant and is a frontrunner alongside McQualter for the Richmond vacancy.

Troy Chaplin (Melbourne)

As the AFL Coaches Association assistant coach of the year in 2022, Chaplin's work as Melbourne's backline coach has been noticed across the industry. The former Port Adelaide and Richmond defender is building a resume that stacks up among candidates and is keen ? and ready ? to be a senior coach when the right opportunity presents. Has sought further coaching knowledge through Stanford University and A-League club Melbourne City, while the Demons' smaller coaching group allows for training design and strategy to be shared responsibilities. Melbourne had the best defence in 2021 and 2022 with Chaplin in charge, while it ranks No.4 this season for points conceded. The 37-year-old Chaplin would be a first-time applicant this year if he pursued a senior coaching vacancy.

Daniel Giansiracusa (Essendon)

A leading contender for recent jobs, the Essendon midfield coach has built a strong coaching foundation to prepare himself for the role if he gets the opportunity. Over nine years, the respected assistant has coached each line, taken charge of Footscray in the VFL, and moved to Essendon to experience a different program. A Level Four graduate, he has continued travelling to develop as a coach, visiting Denmark and Finland last year to learn about their elite ice hockey programs and education methods. Was the AFL Coaches Association's assistant coach of the year in 2020.

Jaymie Graham (Fremantle)

Among the final candidates for the Collingwood vacancy won by Craig McRae, Graham experienced success as an assistant with West Coast before crossing to Fremantle at the end of 2021 to further his experience as a coach in a new environment. He is ready for the top job when the right opportunity presents, having started in development with St Kilda in 2012 before joining the Eagles, where he had stints leading the backline, forwards, and coaching WAFL affiliate East Perth. Is close to completing an education degree, which has complemented his coaching, and has played a key role in the emergence of young forwards Jye Amiss and Josh Treacy in his two seasons with the Dockers.

Ash Hansen (Carlton)

Among the leading assistants in the game, Hansen is ready to be a senior coach after a well-rounded, 12-year apprenticeship that started in development with the Western Bulldogs and included a VFL premiership with Footscray. Progressed to line coaching roles and is now Carlton's forwards and offence coach with responsibilities for training coordination and strategy. The 40-year-old, who completed the AFL's Level Four program, has not been rushed by vacancies and remains keen to pursue the right senior role for his strengths. The West Coast premiership forward is regarded as a strong communicator and manager with a strategic eye.

Steven King (Gold Coast)

King's addition to the Gold Coast panel represented a coup for the Suns when he crossed from the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2021. The former Geelong captain and St Kilda ruckman flew straight from Perth, where the Bulldogs had played in the 2021 Grand Final, to start his new role as senior assistant and midfield coach and made a strong impression as a result. An influential mentor to Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell, King has strong relationships with his players and is viewed as tactically astute, which has come to the fore during his short period as caretaker coach with several game-day moves. The 44-year-old's 13-year apprenticeship has included midfield and defensive roles. He was also Luke Beveridge's senior assistant at the Bulldogs.

Andrew McQualter (Unsure?)

As the Tigers' caretaker since Damien Hardwick's departure, McQualter's credentials have been on show for months, both on-field and in the glowing references provided by his players. The 37-year-old took over when the Tigers were 3-6 with one draw, and he has produced a 6-3 record since, putting the club back in the finals race. He is in pole position to win the job permanently but supports the Tigers going through a thorough process. Went deep in Carlton's search that eventually landed on Michael Voss and has been targeted by rivals as an assistant since. Held various line coaching roles through the Tigers' premiership era and has proved he is ready for the next step.

Chris Newman (Hawthorn)

The former Richmond captain is in his eighth season with Hawthorn after joining the club as a development coach ahead of the 2016 season. Viewed as a senior coach of the future who is ready for opportunities, Newman was VFL coach of the year in 2017 before leading Box Hill to the premiership in 2018. Appointed as backline coach in 2019, he was entrusted with the forward line this season, given it was a particular area of focus for the Hawks, with added responsibilities in ball movement. The 41-year-old has become a respected and trusted figure at Hawthorn, with strong relationships across all areas of the club.

Hayden Skipworth (Collingwood)

Another assistant who been very deliberate in building the strengths required to be a senior coach, Skipworth is now ready for the role after declining previous opportunities to go through application processes. Over close to a decade at Essendon, the 40-year-old was developed specifically to prepare himself for senior coaching, taking charge of the AFL program when John Worsfold was away and helping build Essendon's standalone VFL team, which he coached for four years. Has experience on every line, moving to Collingwood in 2020 as the head of academy before effectively turning his attention to re-shaping the Magpies' ball movement in 2022 and stoppage performances in 2023, improving both areas. A long and diverse apprenticeship has included leadership courses at Harvard and Columbia Universities, and development opportunities with NBA and English Premier League clubs.

Nathan Buckley (media)

Stepped down in 2021 during the season and is currently in the media. 55% W/L in season and 41% in finals.

Brendan Lade (internal)

Senior assistant who has now been with us since 2023 pre-season after stints at both Richmond and St Kilda.

Matty Egan (internal)

Had 3 games as senior coach of Essendon a long time ago and has 15 years coaching experience overall, more recently worked at Melbourne in various development roles (and then at Geelong?) and is currently GM of football.

Info lifted from https://www.afl.com.au/news/992630/next-in-line-10-leading-contenders-to-become-the-afls-newest-senior-coach/amp

Grantysghost
14-04-2024, 09:47 AM
Looking at that let's stick with Bevo :cool:

Bulldog Joe
14-04-2024, 10:51 AM

The best available coach is actually difficult for fans to know.

I do know that sticking with what you have can only maintain what you currently get.

We need to get something different if we want an opportunity to improve our result.

It is possible that a change by Bevo may provide it, but much more likely to be achieved by a change of Bevo.

lemmon
14-04-2024, 10:55 AM
There's a lot of Bulldogs flavour there in terms of guys that have worked under Bevo. You imagine we'd have a pretty good handle on them already.

Ashley Hansen always seemed to be a strong communicator and well-respected internally.

The Doctor
14-04-2024, 11:01 AM
I like Skipworth's resume.

G-Mo77
14-04-2024, 08:19 PM

People say that but Bevo had no experience when he came and was supposed to have a role at the Saints when we selected him for the job.

Uninformed
14-04-2024, 08:29 PM
The best available coach is actually difficult for fans to know.

I do know that sticking with what you have can only maintain what you currently get.

We need to get something different if we want an opportunity to improve our result.

It is possible that a change by Bevo may provide it, but much more likely to be achieved by a change of Bevo.

A premiership, grand final and regular finals contention.

Richmond losing their premiership coach hasn't resulted in improvement.

Hawthorn getting rid of their premiership coach didn't help them.

Nor did Collingwood going for Buckley and dumping theirs the year he got them to the grand final (Malthouse)

None of those listed look like a better option than what we have. Would not take any of them.

GVGjr
14-04-2024, 08:33 PM
People say that but Bevo had no experience when he came and was supposed to have a role at the Saints when we selected him for the job.

From memory Bevo was going to be the director of coaching at the Saints before landing the Dogs job.

I don't mind the list of available coaches including two we already have at the Kennel.
I remain strong on keeping Bevo until the end of the season but we probably should be casting an eye over available candidates.
Even some of the assistants that have been at the Dogs before in King, Hansen and Giansiracusa are worthy of being considered.
I wouldn't discount Cameron as being a potential candidate.

G-Mo77
14-04-2024, 08:41 PM
From memory Bevo was going to be the director of coaching at the Saints before landing the Dogs job.

I don't mind the list of available coaches including two we already have at the Kennel.
I remain strong on keeping Bevo until the end of the season but we probably should be casting an eye over available candidates.
Even some of the assistants that have been at the Dogs before in King, Hansen and Giansiracusa are worthy of being considered.
I wouldn't discount Cameron as being a potential candidate.

Is that role what Egan is doing now with us? We did have to ask the Saints for permission as well I believe.

I'm also happy to take on an ex assistant.

GVGjr
14-04-2024, 09:00 PM
Is that role what Egan is doing now with us? We did have to ask the Saints for permission as well I believe.

I'm also happy to take on an ex assistant.

Egan's the GM of football. He's got a lot of experience.

Re Bevo, the Saints and no other club would never stand in the way of a senior coaching appointment.

JanLorMill
14-04-2024, 09:09 PM

Nor did Collingwood going for Buckley and dumping theirs the year he got them to the grand final (Malthouse)

None of those listed look like a better option than what we have. Would not take any of them.
I think they are poor comparisons.
With Richmond and Hawthorn it could be easily argued they held on too long to their premiership coach. They were both going backwards, recruiting for the now, and the new coach has his hands tied.
Buckley made a prelim in his first year and lost a close grand final 5 years later. Malthouse was toxic.
You almost that about Clarkson too. Hardwick resigned.
3 examples of multiple premiership coaches not like Beveridge atm.

kickit2Koly
14-04-2024, 09:58 PM
I like Carr, Freos midfield and now’s Ports have thrived under him.

Uninformed
15-04-2024, 01:08 AM
I think they are poor comparisons.
With Richmond and Hawthorn it could be easily argued they held on too long to their premiership coach. They were both going backwards, recruiting for the now, and the new coach has his hands tied.
Buckley made a prelim in his first year and lost a close grand final 5 years later. Malthouse was toxic.
You almost that about Clarkson too. Hardwick resigned.
3 examples of multiple premiership coaches not like Beveridge atm.

There are various perceptions around those coaches. But I think the broad theme is fair. Who has dumped a premiership coach and then done better, ever?

Another example would be Mathews. Won the pies their first flag in a long time. After a few average years they dumped him. Buckley to Collingwood, Mathews to the Lions. How did that work out.

I will be very interested in how the Eagles go, having decided to stick with their premiership coach despite a couple of horrible years. They look to be improving to me, with no help from the AFL.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2024, 09:21 AM
There are various perceptions around those coaches. But I think the broad theme is fair. Who has dumped a premiership coach and then done better, ever?

Another example would be Mathews. Won the pies their first flag in a long time. After a few average years they dumped him. Buckley to Collingwood, Mathews to the Lions. How did that work out.

I will be very interested in how the Eagles go, having decided to stick with their premiership coach despite a couple of horrible years. They look to be improving to me, with no help from the AFL.

Geelong has prospered after the change from Thompson to Scott. Premiership first year and then sustained success for a long, long period after that.

JanLorMill
15-04-2024, 09:40 AM
West coast went from Worsfold to Simpson.
Carlton Parkin to Walls
Hawthorn Kennedy to Parkin to Jeans to Joyce and back Jeans.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2024, 09:42 AM
Swans went Roos to Longmire for sustained success too.

JanLorMill
15-04-2024, 09:44 AM
Sydney Roos to Longmire

Sedat
15-04-2024, 10:30 AM
Brett Montgomery has as good and well-rounded a CV as anyone, and should be top of mind for any future senior coaching gigs

azabob
15-04-2024, 10:36 AM
Brett Montgomery has as good and well-rounded a CV as anyone, and should be top of mind for any future senior coaching gigs

The irony of Montgomery coming back to coach the dogs.

I wonder if Beveridge was the only reason Montgomery left?

GVGjr
15-04-2024, 11:12 AM

Agree, he should be in the discussion.

Rocket Science
15-04-2024, 12:22 PM
If we could hand the keys to absolutely anyone I'd throw the kitchen sink at Longmire but increasingly convinced we don't need a new coach we need an exorcist.

The joint's ill.

lemmon
15-04-2024, 12:37 PM

He'd bring great IP across from Port and GWS.

Topdog
15-04-2024, 01:21 PM
Looking at that list I would argue that no one really knows much about any of them. 1 thing we do know is Bevo has been going downhill since the 20th minute of the 4rd quarter of the 21 GF.

ledge
15-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Tom Browne tweeted Bevo was sacked on Twitter about 3 hours ago but I see nothing else about it.

GVGjr
15-04-2024, 07:45 PM
Tom Browne tweeted Bevo was sacked on Twitter about 3 hours ago but I see nothing else about it.

I've had a couple of mates contact me and say the same but I can't find anything to confirm it.
The account seems a bit off the mark with some recent posts

angelopetraglia
15-04-2024, 07:50 PM
The account seems a bit off the mark with some recent posts

This is a fake Tom Browne parody account.

GVGjr
15-04-2024, 07:51 PM

Yep, just found it.

ledge

It’s very well done. I went to it tried to get into if it was fake.

angelopetraglia
The account actually says "Not actually Tom Browne" in the bio and people are still falling it. He is no longer a footy journo.

https://twitter.com/TomBrowne7?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Ea uthor

angelopetraglia
15-04-2024, 07:53 PM
It’s very well done. I went to it tried to get into if it was fake.

A few giveaways.

It only has 1,600 followers. It says "Not actually Tom Browne." in the bio.

ledge
15-04-2024, 07:53 PM
To be fair if it happened Tom Morris would be first to report it with a smile.

azabob
15-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Ah…. Tom Browne is not even in the media anymore.

G-Mo77
15-04-2024, 10:14 PM
Ah…. Tom Browne is not even in the media anymore.

A blow to all fans. There was nothing better than see him royally stuff up. I've missed it.

SonofScray
16-04-2024, 12:58 AM
Buckley would certainly bring a different flavour to the table compared to what the boys are used to.

jeemak
16-04-2024, 01:12 AM
Buckley would certainly bring a different flavour to the table compared to what the boys are used to.

Yeah but that's like swapping in shit sandwiches for something that's a tiny bit more palatable than shit sandwiches.

Vred
16-04-2024, 01:19 AM
System coach needed, someone who's done it for years. Dean Cox to the front of the list, love the way Sydney play, very exciting to watch.

If we could pry Josh Carr outta Port that would be hilarious.

I'd consider Hansen back considering his now down stints at a few different teams.

No one who's coached before, no to Bucks, Dew or any other old-head.

Scraggers
16-04-2024, 01:23 AM

It amazes me that Bevo is the only coach under pressure when you look at Ken Hinkley?s record. Hinkley currently holds the VFL/AFL record for the most games coached at one club without making a grand final. He has been the coach for over 250 games (since 2013) and only made it as far as a prelim final. (Remembering Port went out in straight sets last year). Yet the pressure is solely on Bevo. Bevo?s win-loss stats are 144-106. Hinkley?s 152-102. Very similar. The main difference is Bevo has taken his team to 2 Grand Finals (as we know 1-1). Hinkley has got to a prelim. I get that we have a great list and are underperforming. But what have Port accomplished?

JanLorMill
16-04-2024, 08:32 AM
It amazes me that Bevo is the only coach under pressure when you look at Ken Hinkley?s record. Hinkley currently holds the VFL/AFL record for the most games coached at one club without making a grand final. He has been the coach for over 250 games (since 2013) and only made it as far as a prelim final. (Remembering Port went out in straight sets last year). Yet the pressure is solely on Bevo. Bevo?s win-loss stats are 144-106. Hinkley?s 152-102. Very similar. The main difference is Bevo has taken his team to 2 Grand Finals (as we know 1-1). Hinkley has got to a prelim. I get that we have a great list and are underperforming. But what have Port accomplished?
Why we even care about Port and Hinkley or past records.
The main difference Bevo’s record is going backwards whilst Hinkley has port 4-1 and 3rd.

GVGjr
16-04-2024, 08:55 AM

Port have a lot of positive stories at the moment. Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis look like like a formidable midfield and they addressed their defensive needs with trades in the last trade period. They're falling a bit short of expectations but they've proven to be competitive most years.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2024, 09:07 AM
Port have a lot of positive stories at the moment. Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis look like like a formidable midfield and they addressed their defensive needs with trades in the last trade period. They're falling a bit short of expectations but they've proven to be competitive most years.

Yes. Agree. But Ken?s in his 12th season and they have never made a GF.

In 11 completed seasons they have missed the finals 5 times. Five finals won. Eight finals losses.

Has Kane ever gone after Hinkley?

angelopetraglia
16-04-2024, 09:11 AM
In fact, in a few games time, Ken Hinkley will pass Bill Stephen for coaching the most ever AFL/VFL games without a GF appearance.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2024, 09:13 AM
Terry Wallace is 3rd on the list and Brad Scott is 4th on the list. Most games coached without a GF appearance.

Even by random chance, you should make a GF every nine years. So to coach 10+ years without a GF appearance and keep your job means you are a good politician.

Scraggers
16-04-2024, 11:31 AM
Why we even care about Port and Hinkley or past records.
The main difference Bevo’s record is going backwards whilst Hinkley has port 4-1 and 3rd.

4-1 and third means nothing if you don’t make the grand final. The reason for the comparison is the fact that we have played in two grand finals in Bevo’s term at the club. Name another coach in your lifetime that has that record at the Western Bulldogs?

JanLorMill
16-04-2024, 12:54 PM
4-1 and third means nothing if you don’t make the grand final. The reason for the comparison is the fact that we have played in two grand finals in Bevo’s term at the club. Name another coach in your lifetime that has that record at the Western Bulldogs?
Again past records. ATM port look capable of playing in a gf and we don’t. I bet most port fans will settle for a prelim if they don’t make a gf. He’ll probably walk anyway.

Topdog
16-04-2024, 04:49 PM
Ken is probably on his last chance for failing in September.

Bevos time is up for me.

Sedat
16-04-2024, 04:56 PM
Bevo's time was up last year. Now that (rightly or wrongly) we have backed him in with a revamped footy and fitness/conditioning dept, we have to see it through for at least the next 12-18 months. Only a shit club would panic 5 weeks into the new era because Caro, Cornes and Damo are demanding blood in April.

EasternWest
16-04-2024, 05:39 PM
Only a shit club would panic 5 weeks into the new era

https://i.postimg.cc/x8Sdy16r/munsonated.gif (https://postimages.org/)

The Doctor
16-04-2024, 06:46 PM
Bring back Rocket.

Pleather Sole
16-04-2024, 07:21 PM
Bevo's time was up last year. Now that (rightly or wrongly) we have backed him in with a revamped footy and fitness/conditioning dept, we have to see it through for at least the next 12-18 months. Only a shit club would panic 5 weeks into the new era because Caro, Cornes and Damo are demanding blood in April.

The powers that be that backed him in when his natural tenure obviously ended. Mostly it seems largely due to the cost of having to pay out a large amount of his contract and not having prepared themselves for the recruitment process. Its not just big AFL media ego's baying for blood. He has largely lost the players and they don't respond to him as they did prior in adversity. He has lost the faith of many members and supporters, even some of his most ardent loyalists. He has no excuses now. Perhaps Round 5 is too early-or not enough time to prove his new plans will work but I think 12-18 months leeway is way too generous. I think by half way, round 12 is ample in the 3 weeks of the mid year byes. Any longer without emphatic and unarguable improvement is a waste given an interim coach like Egan could step up and a proper collective breath of relief and fresh air inhaled. I imagine the feelers (they should be) are already out re: availability of candidates for an alternative head coach. Future contract signings are probably also likely to be effected if he hangs around too long if things are futile. Morale sinks, supporters tune out, revenue, sponsorship & prime time games all drop and become less acquirable. My picks are Egan (success at high level with Melbourne & Geelong) or Steven King & Hansen. I'd prefer someone fresh who has a handle on how the game is transforming. Not a seasoned coach who like Bevo is unable to get out of his own tired blueprint. Someone like Adam Kingsley who has GWS humming like a mint Monaro GTS V8 253, coupe of course. I'm open to other candidates in the Kingsley vein.

jeemak
17-04-2024, 01:23 AM
Again past records. ATM port look capable of playing in a gf and we don?t. I bet most port fans will settle for a prelim if they don?t make a gf. He?ll probably walk anyway.

History is a better predictor of the future than most other things.

jeemak
17-04-2024, 01:24 AM
System coach needed, someone who's done it for years. Dean Cox to the front of the list, love the way Sydney play, very exciting to watch.

If we could pry Josh Carr outta Port that would be hilarious.

I'd consider Hansen back considering his now down stints at a few different teams.

No one who's coached before, no to Bucks, Dew or any other old-head.

Are you suggesting Bevo isn't a system based coach?

If so that's ridiculous.

Mofra
17-04-2024, 08:20 AM
Ash Hanson, took Footscray to a flag and Carlton moved heaven and Earth to get him in (or put cash in a bag, one or the other)

azabob
17-04-2024, 08:29 AM
Ash Hanson, took Footscray to a flag and Carlton moved heaven and Earth to get him in (or put cash in a bag, one or the other)

It must have been a big bag as it happened so late in the piece also.

ledge
17-04-2024, 10:42 AM
History is a better predictor of the future than most other things.

Essendon says hello.

1eyedog
17-04-2024, 11:03 AM

Monty wouldn't have even let this rot set in imo. We might not have the players we have but a Monty coached team would be a team of selfless footballers.

1eyedog
17-04-2024, 11:08 AM
Are you suggesting Bevo isn't a system based coach?

If so that's ridiculous.

I actually couldnt find a more system-based coach in the AFL. Maybe Ross the Boss but Ross also adapts on-field ad hoc.

weltschmerz
17-04-2024, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't mind Ash Hansen getting a go.

GVGjr
17-04-2024, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't mind Ash Hansen getting a go.

He has a good coaching background including looking after a VFL side. I do think we could find someone better though but I'd certainly want to interview him if Bevo was to depart.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2024, 09:15 PM

I agree we need to see it through longer than 5 weeks in an ideal world, but ultimately it depends on the morale of the group. McCartney was going to coach in 2015 until it was found that the group was fractured.

Not saying the same is occurring now, but if it is - or does - the plug needs to be pulled.

The club is in a pretty ugly position. Getting dragged through the mud on field and off field by a mix of opposition, media, and our own supporters can only go on so long before it genuinely impacts sponsorship opportunities and player recruitment. Every club goes through a period of needing a circuit breaker at less than ideal times, we just have to recognise when that is and wear the egg on our faces if it falls that way.

lemmon
17-04-2024, 09:51 PM
I agree we need to see it through longer than 5 weeks in an ideal world, but ultimately it depends on the morale of the group. McCartney was going to coach in 2015 until it was found that the group was fractured.

Not saying the same is occurring now, but if it is - or does - the plug needs to be pulled.

The club is in a pretty ugly position. Getting dragged through the mud on field and off field by a mix of opposition, media, and our own supporters can only go on so long before it genuinely impacts sponsorship opportunities and player recruitment. Every club goes through a period of needing a circuit breaker at less than ideal times, we just have to recognise when that is and wear the egg on our faces if it falls that way.

I don't think the two situations can be compared. This feels a lot more like Rodney Eade in 2011 for me.

The club has moved everything around the edges purely so that Bevo can succeed and he's had a pre-season with this group. Ripping it up now and putting in Lade or an interim is either acknowledging that the year is done OR we think someone else could come in and salvage the season, which would mean finals.

We don't have a first-rounder in this draft, so there's no real point in putting the cue in the rack, and you'd be making a huge statement saying that an interim coach could get better results with this group than Beveridge could with a full pre-season learning his game plan and the club having made a whole host of changes purely so he could succeed.

Unless the players have said they're done with Bevo and we're on the cusp of mutiny, I just don't see how McCartney and Beveridge can be compared.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2024, 10:24 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to compare the two as it's apples and oranges, more that you can't stick with somebody just because you may have made an error in re-signing him, or not cutting ties at the end of last year.

At some point all clubs with all coaches reach the end of the line for varying reasons. We shouldn't be over committing to anyone and need to be prepared to make hard calls whenever they're needed, whether that's next week, in three months, or in 3 years.

ledge
17-04-2024, 11:33 PM
we are all wondering if Bevos reign is coming to an end soon.
Do we think the club is having a quiet sniff around who’s out there in case it doesn’t turn around ?

Virgin-Dog
18-04-2024, 12:16 AM
There?s some very strong options out there, other than the obvious ex-Dogs coaches (Gia and Hansen)

Hayden Skipworth (senior assistant and midfield coach at Pies)

Troy Chaplin (backline coach at Demons)

Dean Cox (game strategy and ruck coach at Swans - though rumoured to be in succession plan with Longmire)

FrediKanoute
18-04-2024, 12:45 AM
Monty wouldn't have even let this rot set in imo. We might not have the players we have but a Monty coached team would be a team of selfless footballers.

Who or where is he coaching at the momnet?

GVGjr
18-04-2024, 01:07 AM
Who or where is he coaching at the momnet?

He's at GWS as an assistant

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2024, 02:50 AM

Monty is a hard arsed coach, a demanding one.
Preseason in Bont's 2nd year I was on the fence at the interchange with Monty on the boundary in front of me, yelli g at players as they came off.
Their faces were like they were intimidated as they came off wirh Monty yelling.