PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Season 2024

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 07:39 PM
It wasn’t fun while it lasted, and now we have to fake a few months of interest.

JanLorMill
05-05-2024, 09:59 PM
Like but dislike. Totally over footy ATM

Eastdog
05-05-2024, 10:06 PM
We are still in until we mathematically can't make it but yes totally agree it is not looking good for the rest of this season and it is probably nearly curtains for us.

No where near it at the moment in terms of being a contender.

my plums
05-05-2024, 10:25 PM
Don’t even get excited to watch the footy anymore :(

G-Mo77
05-05-2024, 10:25 PM
Deep down I wrote it off after round 1 but yeah, that's pretty much it now.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-05-2024, 10:32 PM
It wasn’t fun while it lasted, and now we have to fake a few months of interest.

Fake interest at your peril. I'm just gonna switch off. Don't even have the draft to look forward to.

This club needs a total reboot. Its cooked.

merantau
06-05-2024, 06:14 AM
We had a brilliant start with 3 goals in 6 minutes and then turned into Mr Hyde. So hard to follow this team. The reality is that the 8 is slip sliding away and there ain't no sunshine when she's gone.

They say it's always darkest before the dawn but then it's a long day's journey into night. I fear I'm looking into the heart of darkness in 2024 abandoned by the one I love, standing like a stranger on the shore listening to the sound of silence.

Oh, for the day when you are the sunshine of my life again

ledge
06-05-2024, 09:48 AM
So we rebooted all our assistants had a review of operations and this is what we have come up with ?

Hotdog60
06-05-2024, 09:56 AM
I'm a sad person who does get up each week wanting to see the dogs go well. I like watching the Seniors, VFL and Women's and although some of our players frustrate the crap out of me I'll be there cheering them on the following week.
As far as the coach goes things are always changing in football and as long as the club is supporting the coach I wouldn't be calling for his head.
If Bevo decides to pull the pin or the club taps him on the shoulder I'd say thanks Bevo you were the best coach I have seen in my life time and them get behind the next coach.
The only one I couldn't warm to was Rhode I was even hoping MacCartney would prove some doubters wrong.
Game day I can just as pissed off as the rest of us but I still look forward to the following week ands the hope we can turn it around.
Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist or a masochist. :)

Ozza
06-05-2024, 10:06 AM
The only chance we have for the remainder of the season to be watchable or enjoyable - is for the coaching change to happen and the refresh to start happening. We are going to be 5-9 or 4-10 at the bye with no 1st round draft pick - so its bloody grim.

If we don't make the change, the damage done to the playing group could be severe and will feel like a slow bleed. The right thing to do is to just call it now.

Jasper
06-05-2024, 10:12 AM
So we rebooted all our assistants had a review of operations and this is what we have come up with ?

Doesn't that point to that we've got some problems on the field more than the coaches?

Grantysghost
06-05-2024, 10:12 AM
Just mentioned in another post this is probably the least interesting season in recent memory. Definitely in Bevo's tenure.

We've got two talented players possibly out the door, and a young KPD languishing and maybe on the way home.

No first round draft pick to look forward to.

No chance of any finals action.

But.....

What we do have is a bunch of talented youngsters so that is where I will be aiming my attention for the rest of the season.

Darcy, Marra, Weightman, Clarke, Jones, Freijah, Gaggs, JOD, Sanders, Croft, West.

They've become my season!

#bemorebulldog and all that.

Jasper
06-05-2024, 10:18 AM
The only chance we have for the remainder of the season to be watchable or enjoyable - is for the coaching change to happen and the refresh to start happening. We are going to be 5-9 or 4-10 at the bye with no 1st round draft pick - so its bloody grim.

If we don't make the change, the damage done to the playing group could be severe and will feel like a slow bleed. The right thing to do is to just call it now.

I find this very interesting just in the concept that a change will help the playing group.
Thanks for articulating it Ozza and it be something I look at if we do make a change.

josie
06-05-2024, 10:54 AM
Great posts GG, Hotdog (I call it weekly amnesia? same same Steve Holt) & Merantau (stranger on the shore - you old fart, what about strangers in the night while you?re at it).

I?ll be cheering boys on, hoping for a miraculous resurrection, focusing on young ?uns and enjoying top of table vfl and refreshed AFLW. And humming tunes we oldies but goodies remember.

SonofScray
06-05-2024, 11:05 AM
Another season over before we even fired a shot.

It was cooked in R1. We all saw it and we all know it.

Ozza
06-05-2024, 11:35 AM
Another season over before we even fired a shot.

It was cooked in R1. We all saw it and we all know it.

Its the early season performances that continue to be an issue, and one that suggests that;

a) the plan Bevo and the coaches is coming up with isn't working - and eventually in-season we start doing less of the crazy selection and also alter a gameplan that isn't working. and/or
b) Bevo's idea of a good pre-season preparation isn't right and that how we are planning the off season is all wrong.

The evidence is this;

2018 - started 1-4, got to 4-9 and as bad as 5-13 before winning 3 of our last 4.
2019 - started 5-8 before rattling home to be 12-10 before getting belted in a final (GWS).
2020 - 2 beltings to start the year before going 10-7 and losing a final (7th)
2021 - obviously an outlier over this period.
2022 - lost first 2. Were 1-3, 2-4 and always under pressure before falling into 8th due to results in the last round and then lost a final.
2023 - belted in first two games again. On the edge of the 8 all year before missing finals.
2024 - Round 1 belting and now 3-5 and if all results go to the favourite we will be 4-9 most likely after 13 games.

bornadog
06-05-2024, 12:47 PM
Its the early season performances that continue to be an issue, and one that suggests that;

a) the plan Bevo and the coaches is coming up with isn't working - and eventually in-season we start doing less of the crazy selection and also alter a gameplan that isn't working. and/or
b) Bevo's idea of a good pre-season preparation isn't right and that how we are planning the off season is all wrong.

The evidence is this;

2018 - started 1-4, got to 4-9 and as bad as 5-13 before winning 3 of our last 4.
2019 - started 5-8 before rattling home to be 12-10 before getting belted in a final (GWS).
2020 - 2 beltings to start the year before going 10-7 and losing a final (7th)
2021 - obviously an outlier over this period.
2022 - lost first 2. Were 1-3, 2-4 and always under pressure before falling into 8th due to results in the last round and then lost a final.
2023 - belted in first two games again. On the edge of the 8 all year before missing finals.
2024 - Round 1 belting and now 3-5 and if all results go to the favourite we will be 4-9 most likely after 13 games.

great analysis Ozza, but it worries me.

merantau
06-05-2024, 12:49 PM
Great posts GG, Hotdog (I call it weekly amnesia? same same Steve Holt) & Merantau (stranger on the shore - you old fart, what about strangers in the night while you?re at it).

I?ll be cheering boys on, hoping for a miraculous resurrection, focusing on young ?uns and enjoying top of table vfl and refreshed AFLW. And humming tunes we oldies but goodies remember.

Just for you Josie. Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/_cEr4CCtllA?si=6Yc4m4GRiuvtfzVc

The tempo of this tune fits well with how we moved the ball out of defence yesterday.

"Strangers in the Night"? Well, when trying to connect with team mates we were like ships passing in the night - ships with no lights on.

ledge
06-05-2024, 07:04 PM
Doesn't that point to that we've got some problems on the field more than the coaches?

I?m not sure the game plan has changed at all, if it has it?s not suiting the list.

ledge
06-05-2024, 07:05 PM
Just for you Josie. Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/_cEr4CCtllA?si=6Yc4m4GRiuvtfzVc

The tempo of this tune fits well with how we moved the ball out of defence yesterday.

"Strangers in the Night"? Well, when trying to connect with team mates we were like ships passing in the night - ships with no lights on.

Titanic is about to hit the ice burg, can we turn in time ?

josie
06-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Thanks Merantau, ahh Ackerman Bilk. Possibly sold with k-tel streak knives back in the day.

No Ledge, it?s too late. Time to strike up ?nearer, my dog, to thee?.

ledge
06-05-2024, 07:20 PM
Thanks Merantau, ahh Ackerman Bilk. Possibly sold with k-tel streak knives back in the day.

No Ledge, it?s too late. Time to strike up ?nearer, my dog, to thee?.
Captain Beveridge ?
https://youtu.be/0uiIxAUmPMA?si=6uavDi_mbcNeUwC6

Danjul
06-05-2024, 07:27 PM
I?m not sure the game plan has changed at all, if it has it?s not suiting the list.
Of course it has. Khamis Has gone from ruck to CHB.

ledge
06-05-2024, 07:29 PM
Of course it has. Khamis Has gone from ruck to CHB.

Khamis mmm interesting, rather Keath or Gardiner.
Experience makes a huge difference in close games.

kruder
06-05-2024, 07:30 PM
Deep down I wrote it off after round 1 but yeah, that's pretty much it now.

Yeah the same, I said to my mates that If the dogs loose to Melbourne we wouldn't make the 8. After an internal/external review, new coaches, new facilities, new fitness staff you would expect more first up but the alarm bells were ringing loudly after that performance.

merantau
06-05-2024, 07:31 PM
Captain Beveridge ?
https://youtu.be/0uiIxAUmPMA?si=6uavDi_mbcNeUwC6

Thanks Ledge. Hadn't heard that number for yonks.

ledge
06-05-2024, 08:05 PM
Thanks Ledge. Hadn't heard that number for yonks.

Sums us up pretty much.

Dazza
06-05-2024, 08:15 PM
Hopefully we can debut Freijah at some point.

josie
06-05-2024, 08:19 PM
Nice one Ledge. That was such a big hit and so different in a good way to other songs of same period.

Can Bar
07-05-2024, 03:56 PM
Tough couple of days, the week is getting easier. Game day is approaching. 3-4 wins in a row and this feeling will be a distant memory. Time to get back on the horse.

G-Mo77
07-05-2024, 04:00 PM
Tough couple of days, the week is getting easier. Game day is approaching. 3-4 wins in a row and this feeling will be a distant memory. Time to get back on the horse.

My horse died in Round 23 2023. :o

Can Bar
08-05-2024, 12:15 PM
My horse died in Round 23 2023. :o

Hopefully you have bought a another?

Danjul
08-05-2024, 12:46 PM
Last year in rounds 4 to about 10 we defeated Fremantle, Hawthorn, Richmond, Carlton and GWS. The last two played finals. Since then things have been disastrous. Two of those teams have already defeated us. Last match Hawthorn had 30+% more scoring shots than the Dogs. The source of the problem must be staring us in the face. You can?t have that fall without a reason.

And it is not anything to do with Macrae and Dale. That has simply been a distraction. Look at what has worked on Sunday - Bont kicks to Williams, goal - Baker kicks to English, goal. Easy. These plays are despite the game plan, not part of it. And people are calling for two of those participants to be dropped. We need to play to all players strengths ( for a change).

Otherwise there is no horse just a carcass.

Can Bar
08-05-2024, 02:29 PM
You can?t have that fall without a reason.

There would be a heap of reasons, one that is regularly overlooked is the opposition, Hawks played ok. The competition can be very even. The analysis that gets done in the lead up to games is huge. What is your strength this week is taken away the next. Clubs review games from multiple angles, pull apart every contest, leading and running patterns. Think we have to back the club in to find the solutions.

ledge
08-05-2024, 03:20 PM
There would be a heap of reasons, one that is regularly overlooked is the opposition, Hawks played ok. The competition can be very even. The analysis that gets done in the lead up to games is huge. What is your strength this week is taken away the next. Clubs review games from multiple angles, pull apart every contest, leading and running patterns. Think we have to back the club in to find the solutions.

You can also go over the top with micro managing opposition game plans . Plans change due to the opposition you play.
What works one week might not work the next.
We have a habit of losing to sides who have good players out as well.
Mitchell out smarted Bevo with game plan, only just but he did.

Hotdog60
08-05-2024, 07:18 PM
Sorry this is a bit long but I thought I would have a look at our list and try and be subjective with the players as they currently stand.
I had 11 player get Automatic selection but 2 are on long term injury, a couple on the cusp if they produce a bit more and VDM is in there because he has traits if he could tidy things up.
The rest if someone was playing better in their position could be replaced. JJ drops down because his bread and butter is run and carry and he is just average this year.
20 players under 50 games with 5 of those 20 haven't played yet.
This is purely my opinion and other teams have the same sort of list but are the bit part players doing enough.

01 Adam Treloar - 239 games automatic if fit
02 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - 51 games automatic if fit
03 Cody Weightman - 66 games automatic if fit
04 Marcus Bontempelli - 224 games automatic if fit
05 Jedd Busslinger - 0 games untried
06 Bailey Smith - 103 games injured
07 Rory Lobb - 163 games not a lock
08 Charli Clarke - 1 game too early
09 Ryley Sanders - 6 games shows promise
10 Sam Darcy - 14 games shows promise
11 Jack Macrae - 236 games not a lock
12 Harvey Gallagher - 8 games shows promise
13 Oskar Baker - 38 games not a lock
14 Rhylee West - 44 games on the cusp of being automatic
15 Taylor Duryea - 198 games not a lock
16 Jordan Croft - games untried
17 Nick Coffield - 54 games injured
18 James O'Donnell - 16 games shows promise
19 Liam Jones - 187 games automatic if fit
20 Ed Richards - 111 games automatic if fit
21 Tom Liberatore - 222 games injured
22 James Harmes - 156 games not a lock
23 Laitham Vandermeer - 52 games on the cusp of being automatic
24 Buku Khamis - 18 games not a lock
25 Caleb Poulter - 23 games not a lock
26 Dominic Bedendo - 2 games not a lock
27 Joel Freijah - 0 games untried
28 Anthony Scott - 57 games not a lock
29 Lachlan Bramble - 38 games not a lock
30 Lachlan McNeil - 43 games not a lock
31 Bailey Dale - 139 games automatic if fit
32 Arthur Jones - 13 games not a lock
33 Aaron Naughton - 131 games automatic if fit
34 Bailey Williams - 135 games not a lock
35 Caleb Daniel - 181 games not a lock
36 Luke Cleary - 5 games not a lock
37 Aiden O'Driscoll - 0 games untried
38 Riley Garcia - 22 games not a lock
39 Jason Johannisen - 195 games not a lock
40 Lachlan Smith - 0 games untried
42 Alex Keath - 104 games not a lock
43 Ryan Gardner - 53 games not a lock
44 Tim English - 116 games automatic if fit

JanLorMill
08-05-2024, 07:38 PM
JJ Williams west are locks cos they play every week if available, Daniel and Macrae aren?t locks by choice, would be in other sides.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:16 PM
I think that’s it. Gave up 7%, the effective extra game in hand…

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2024, 11:20 PM
Yeah I think we're done.

The injuries hurt, the way the fixture has been set up at this point of the year hurts and we have little room for error.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:21 PM
Yeah I think we're done.

The injuries hurt, the way the fixture has been set up at this point of the year hurts and we have little room for error.

Only question is what we give up for Sanders. It’s Pick 9 (after an Ashcroft bid). But could be higher.

If English leaves for compo and how bad Smith burns us.

Testekill
07-06-2024, 11:26 PM
We pretty much needed to be as good as possible for the rest of the year to stand a chance of making finals. The only other chance of finals is to pretty much go perfect after the bye once we get back our forward line and some role players like Coffield and Harmes.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2024, 11:27 PM
Only question is what we give up for Sanders. It’s Pick 9 (after an Ashcroft bid). But could be higher.

If English leaves for compo and how bad Smith burns us.

It's a shaky time for us.

He's just a kid but I'm getting concerned on what we gave up for Sanders. He'll get stronger and fitted, but there's a real inability in his game to take ground with his legs (never seems to get out of second gear). Perhaps he'll become an inside beast and be an accumulator but I'm not sure yet.

Key defender stocks are at retirement village age with Buss unsigned, uncertainty around English and Smith, no first pick this year....

Libba and Treloar can only fall from here.

Sounds doom and gloom, but I think it's obvious to see we have quite a bit to be concerned about.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:27 PM
I don't think 24 ever started.

Been hard to watch since the get go.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:30 PM
It's a shaky time for us.

He's just a kid but I'm getting concerned on what we gave up for Sanders. He'll get stronger and fitted, but there's a real inability in his game to take ground with his legs (never seems to get out of second gear). Perhaps he'll become an inside beast and be an accumulator but I'm not sure yet.

Key defender stocks are at retirement village age with Buss unsigned, uncertainty around English and Smith, no first pick this year....

Libba and Treloar can only fall from here.

Sounds doom and gloom, but I think it's obvious to see we have quite a bit to be concerned about.

For sure, we need some list fixes immediately or we’ll burn through next year at least too.

Then do we fire sale Lobb, Daniel &/or Macrae who are shadows of themselves?

But we’ve signed everyone long term so, list spots are thin too…

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:42 AM
Sanders will be fine, I have no issues with the collateral used to secure him.

Some of the first seasons by recent top draftees have been unusually good, and many of them have been padded with favourable positioning (i.e. behind the ball).

If what we're doing with him pays off we'll have an extremely hardened midfielder who's had to take a few knocks early in order to get on the level.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:47 AM

I've enjoyed this year way more than the previous two, because there's at least been a change in tack with personnel, positioning and style, with some green shoots.

Prior to being injured Naughton's game was unbelievable. Marra is facing challenges but is going at career high numbers. Our depth has been replaced and it's interesting to see how it's going, we have JF and Gags getting an extended run with Garcia and West being given an opportunity to shine.

We're also fighting our tits off with injuries and seeing how far we can push ourselves to cover them.

Doing nothing was never an option that should have been taken, and I'm glad it wasn't. I'd much rather watch this than the slow death of the last couple of years.

SonofScray
08-06-2024, 01:48 AM

It hasn’t. It has felt like a hiding to nothing, but there’s been a few glimmers of hope and some back bone emerge. And Darcy.

Still time for things to go very sour, fear it will, but the bad this year feels less bad than last year.

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 01:49 AM
Sanders will be fine, I have no issues with the collateral used to secure him.

Some of the first seasons by recent top draftees have been unusually good, and many of them have been padded with favourable positioning (i.e. behind the ball).

If what we're doing with him pays off we'll have an extremely hardened midfielder who's had to take a few knocks early in order to get on the level.

Same here, we moved up the order to position ourselves for a couple of players and sometimes clubs need to be bold and brave.
We should be looking forward not backwards regarding last years draft. If Smith stays we will have some added midfield depth if he leaves we will have some draft currency. I link the two names because I believe we wanted to invest in the draft last year like we did because of some doubts about Smith staying.
We are well placed.

merantau
08-06-2024, 07:49 AM
I'm keeping my powder dry until next week's game plays out. Beat Freo and we're still in the hunt. Lose and pushing the proverbial uphill with a square wheeled barrow.

It would not be a surprise to me to win next week. Why? You might well ask. First, there's the effect of cold, hard, reality. The players, the coaches know it's crunch time. Secondly, I don't think it's possible that we can be so thoroughly shafted by the umpires two weeks running. Thirdly, we'll have Richards back and Libba will be better for having had a run. Fourthly, when you've followed the Dogs since 1956 you can only be but one thing: A PRISONER OF HOPE! GO DOGS!

Sedat
08-06-2024, 12:03 PM
I'm keeping my powder dry until next week's game plays out. Beat Freo and we're still in the hunt. Lose and pushing the proverbial uphill with a square wheeled barrow.

It would not be a surprise to me to win next week. Why? You might well ask. First, there's the effect of cold, hard, reality. The players, the coaches know it's crunch time. Secondly, I don't think it's possible that we can be so thoroughly shafted by the umpires two weeks running. Thirdly, we'll have Richards back and Libba will be better for having had a run. Fourthly, when you've followed the Dogs since 1956 you can only be but one thing: A PRISONER OF HOPE! GO DOGS!
Our midfield could not perform any worse than they did last night. I can't recall a full game where we have been so comprehensively smashed in that area in many a year - we've had horrible patches within games before many a time, but last night was a full 120 minute capitulation.

We shore up our midfield and clearance work next week and we can and should win. Richards coming back is so important - he is an absolute jet and provides maximum damage from his clearance work. I'm also happy to give Libba the first up rusty excuse.

azabob
16-06-2024, 07:39 PM
The Run Home

RD16) North at Marvel
RD17) Power away
RD18) Carlton at Marvel
RD 19) Cats at Sedat park
RD20) Swans at the SCG
RD21) Melbourne at Marvel
RD22) Crows away
RD23) North at Marvel
RD24) Giants at Ballarat.

Season is well and truly alive and in our own destiny.

Sydney is concerning but gettable, closely followed by Carlton and will come down to the midfield battle. The rest we should go in confident.

hujsh
16-06-2024, 07:45 PM
The Run Home

RD16) North at Marvel
RD17) Power away
RD18) Carlton at Marvel
RD20) Swans at the SCG
RD22) Crows away
RD23) North at Marvel

Sydney is concerning but gettable, closely followed by Carlton and will come down to the midfield battle. The rest we should go in confident.

Yeah... I could also see us losing all but North. It's a real toss up but if we make finals we should go in with some confidence we belong a bit like GWS last year

Go_Dogs
16-06-2024, 09:11 PM
Can’t see us losing another game to be honest.

comrade
16-06-2024, 09:42 PM
That is a ****ing brutal run home.

Bigdog
16-06-2024, 09:52 PM
If they make the finals they can genuinely win a flag this year.

Season is wide open and our best is as good as anyone?s. Our best football has been 7-8 goals off the best the last 2 years. I haven?t thought we were capable at any point the last 2 seasons.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2024, 10:00 PM
North - smashable
Port - hopeless. Will flog them
Blues - reaching the point of the year they choke. Lock it in
Cats - looking old and slow
Swans - we always beat them at the scg for unifying big boy road wins. Lock it in
Melbourne - can’t wait to thump them. Horrible club of horrible plodders
Crows - joke of a club, season already over. 100 point win
North - bring back Bruce for another 10 goal haul.
GWS - Ballarat revenge time.

Yep. Literally can’t see us dropping one.

bornadog
16-06-2024, 11:36 PM
The Run Home

RD16) North at Marvel
RD17) Power away
RD18) Carlton at Marvel
RD20) Swans at the SCG
RD22) Crows away
RD23) North at Marvel

Need to change the thread heading.

We can win the majority of those games. Carlton and Sydney the toughest

merantau
17-06-2024, 07:36 AM
How things change. At the end of Round 8 I confidently asserted to a mate that the top 4 was settled - Swans Geelong, Melbourne and Collingwood ( not in any particular order). Carlton and GWS to battle for 5th and 6th and the last two spots were up for grabs between the rest minus Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast and North.
Now the only certainty is the the Swans will finish top.

comrade
17-06-2024, 07:44 AM
North - smashable
Port - hopeless. Will flog them
Blues - reaching the point of the year they choke. Lock it in
Cats - looking old and slow
Swans - we always beat them at the scg for unifying big boy road wins. Lock it in
Melbourne - can?t wait to thump them. Horrible club of horrible plodders
Crows - joke of a club, season already over. 100 point win
North - bring back Bruce for another 10 goal haul.
GWS - Ballarat revenge time.

Yep. Literally can?t see us dropping one.

North - midfield starting to click, won?t be pushovers.
Port - similar to us, never quite sure what you?ll get but I?m probably the most confident in this one out of them all (which means we?ll lose)
Blues - our defence made Hipwood look like peak Buddy, I fear what Curnow will do.
Cats - they could roll out a team of toddlers and still beat us at that shit hole
Swans - we?ll probably win that
Melbourne - still spooked by freed from desire, Gawn will once again be Timmy?s father
Crows - should win, but away from home who knows. 50/50
North - we play them again? The fixture is a joke
GWS - that worked out well for us last year. 50/50 at best

bornadog
17-06-2024, 09:43 AM
Comrade you missed Port

comrade
17-06-2024, 10:08 AM
Comrade you missed Port

Whoops, edited.

Eastdog
17-06-2024, 11:53 AM
We are still in it until we are mathematically out.

Some tough games to come but very winnable as well if we are good enough. We have had some really solid wins this year and the losses have not been crazy.

The key is consistency now if we are any chance.

Sedat
17-06-2024, 12:11 PM
In the 2 games that caused such heartburn, one was against a team who has been top 4 most of the last few weeks and the other was against a team that is on a hot streak only bettered by Sydney.

This year is the most "any given Sunday" season I can recall. Throw a blanket over everyone from Carlton all the way to Brisbane - it is that tight. Good health at the right time will have a massive say in who wins the flag this year.

We have developed a turnover game almost in secret and also kept our clearance/stoppage game intact most weeks, all while doing it with a number of changes in personnel/structure on the run. To get to parity at the bye gives us the chance to rest up and reload for a strong burst whilst getting almost all our troops back. We have the capacity to go on a run if we are good enough - I know we have some difficult matches coming up but I suspect all our future opponents will not look forward to playing us the rest of the season.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2024, 08:26 PM
7-7 at the bye. Out of the 8 by half a game. Out of the top 4 by 2 games, but with a percentage that would put us 2nd.

Loads to play for and loads of shuffling. From 2nd through to 13th all teams are a reasonable chance of making the 8 and possibly the top 4. Our run home is not easy, but we have a lot of 8 point games so destiny is in our hands. At our best we are top 4. Just need to avoid games like the Brissy, Essendon and Melbourne games.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2024, 06:51 PM
Liveladders has us with 6 wins for the rest of the year. Finishing 7th, owing to percentage.

With the responsibility to beat Essendon in finals again at 6th. To keep the run going.

No pressure. But liveladders has it on us to make 17 clubs happy for another year.

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2024, 09:37 PM
Liveladders has us with 6 wins for the rest of the year. Finishing 7th, owing to percentage.

With the responsibility to beat Essendon in finals again at 6th. To keep the run going.

No pressure. But liveladders has it on us to make 17 clubs happy for another year.

We will finish 4th and play Sydney in Sydney in first final.

That means we avoid them until the GF.
Someone else will need to take Essendon out if they hang on to a finals spot.

Rocket Science
19-06-2024, 03:39 PM
If we stay focused, do our job and simply account for the mobs we're reasonably expected to (which of course we're especially renowned for) en route to a 6-3 tally down the stretch you'd be nursing some satisfaction until a few ladder predictor simulations predicated on fairly mundane results reveal we could still easily miss by a game.

Barring a collapse of Essendonian proportions I reckon the current top 6 make the cut, Brisbane finds a way in, and it's a colossal shitfight for the remaining spot.

Assuming Melbourne basically pack it in and revert to the Melbourne we all know and love, it'd be extra helpful if Freo continue to run hot and cold and Port get progressively more wobbly which we can have a direct hand in, in a couple of weeks.

That aside, that final home and away versus the Giants looms yuge.