PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast - Name & Colours

The Coon Dog
24-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Just curious as to what people think the new Gold Coast team (GC17) will be called & what colours they will wear.

mero has had a crack & I must say his jumper design doesn't look too bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/rmered/Gold-Coast-Sharks-1.gif

The GC17 website (GC17) (http://www.gc17.com.au/) seems to suggest navy, sky blue & orange.

The Doctor
24-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I reckon they should be called the Gold Coast Marlins.

GVGjr
24-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I was listening to one of the guys the other day and he mentioned that naming the team the sharks wasn't likely. I don't mind Doc's idea of the Marlins.

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2008, 10:53 AM
What happened to the "if a 7 year old can't draw it it's a crap jumper" rule?

Bulldog Revolution
24-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd slightly simplify the shark but its a a pretty fair design when you consider what the Power and Dockers are running around in - I guess the dockers just got crazy when they put purple in

ledge
24-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Great work but colours might need a slight change , just a fraction too close to Port i think

The Underdog
24-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Great work but colours might need a slight change , just a fraction too close to Port i think

Duh that's what clash jumpers are for:D

Nice work on that one I have to say, certainly couldn't be worse than Port.
Whoever named any of the new Trans Tasman netball teams shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it though. Nor the Victory, Roar or Glory. We'd end up with the Gold Coast Tans or Bling or Townhouses or something. At least give them a proper mascot. Please.

1eyedog
24-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Clash strip against Port. The Gold Coast Superficials. Kinda suits the joint.

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 03:27 PM
What happened to the "if a 7 year old can't draw it it's a crap jumper" rule?

Yes a great rule.

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 03:29 PM
For a symbol the $ sign or a ? mark would suit better and a green colour for how envious and scared of other codes the AFL is.

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 03:30 PM
AFL says the need 20K members. They might get them (not real supporters) but there is no way 20K will roll up every week.
How many free entries wil they give away too?

The Underdog
24-04-2008, 03:36 PM
For a symbol the $ sign or a ? mark would suit better and a green colour for how envious and scared of other codes the AFL is.

I actually think the West Sydney jumper should be green with a picture of Tasmania on it so when they fold and move they won't have to change anything.

ledge
24-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I actually think the West Sydney jumper should be green with a picture of Tasmania on it so when they fold and move they won't have to change anything.

Got me beat why they wont have a Tazzie team , i mean they only need 10,000 people and if they charge by the head well its a 20,000 crowd.

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2008, 04:40 PM

That made me smile.

The only reason it won't be true is because the AFL are too pig-headed to admit they get anything wrong. They'd rather hire 20,000 people to front up each week, kinda like extras in a movie.

West Sydney is going to cost a lot of money.

The Underdog
24-04-2008, 04:42 PM
That made me smile.

The only reason it won't be true is because the AFL are too pig-headed to admit they get anything wrong. They'd rather hire 20,000 people to front up each week, kinda like extras in a movie.

Amen to that brother.

But remember the market research is never wrong.

camwoof
24-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Tassie could possibly support a team but the AFL calls the shots and they dont want Tassie as part of it. The deal that Tassie has with the hawks is as good as its going to get. Four matches plus one NAB cup game

Bulldog Revolution
24-04-2008, 08:39 PM
That made me smile.

Made me smile too

I just hope the introduction doesn't cost us a flag

Dancin' Douggy
25-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Just curious as to what people think the new Gold Coast team (GC17) will be called & what colours they will wear.

mero has had a crack & I must say his jumper design doesn't look too bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/rmered/Gold-Coast-Sharks-1.gif

The GC17 website (GC17) (http://www.gc17.com.au/) seems to suggest navy, sky blue & orange.

Sorry to say this but I hate, yes, hate the jumper. If it was a box for fish and chips it'd be ok but I firmly believe in the 7 yr old theory. If they cant draw it in a few seconds on their lunchbox it's out. I'm not against clash jumpers in theory but I 'm against splodges, swoops, swirls fades, cropped images disappearing into seams and colours like beige, taupe, teal, slate etc. (try putting any of those colours into a stirring anthem). " SONS OF THE WEST, BEIGE TAUPE AND TEAL!!!!!!!
WE COME FROM TIGER....... WALNUT AND SLATE!
AAAAAHH It's revolting.
If I had my way we'd go back to the 1954 guernsey and swap the colours around for an away strip. I hope the new teams have simple, strong guernseys designed by an old boot studder in ten minutes instead of a panel of designers and image consultants.
I want a footy jumper not 'branding'.

Bulldog Revolution
25-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry to say this but I hate, yes, hate the jumper. If it was a box for fish and chips it'd be ok but I firmly believe in the 7 yr old theory. If they cant draw it in a few seconds on their lunchbox it's out. I'm not against clash jumpers in theory but I 'm against splodges, swoops, swirls fades, cropped images disappearing into seams and colours like beige, taupe, teal, slate etc. (try putting any of those colours into a stirring anthem). " SONS OF THE WEST, BEIGE TAUPE AND TEAL!!!!!!!
AAAAAHH It's revolting.
If I had my way we'd go back to the 1954 guernsey and swap the colours around for an away strip. I hope the new teams have simple, strong guernseys designed by an old boot studder in ten minutes instead of a panel of designers and image consultants.

Great post Douggy, really liked the beige, taupe and teal remarks, plus the boot studder designers - and I agree the best jumpers are simple and have clean designs, but whether you like it or not, that is part of a clubs branding, which is reall about its identity.

All that gold coast one needs is a bit of cleaning up, but at least the Shark is a better motif than a Docker or Power, and when you yell out carn the sharks, carn the sharkas it sounds like a football team.

LostDoggy
25-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Great post Douggy, really liked the beige, taupe and teal remarks, plus the boot studder designers - and I agree the best jumpers are simple and have clean designs, but whether you like it or not, that is part of a clubs branding, which is reall about its identity.

All that gold coast one needs is a bit of cleaning up, but at least the Shark is a better motif than a Docker or Power, and when you yell out carn the sharks, carn the sharkas it sounds like a football team.

It is a football team - East Fremantle.

I hope they choose something unique, with a local reference, as the Dockers did.

LostDoggy
25-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I firmly believe in the 7 yr old theory. If they cant draw it in a few seconds on their lunchbox it's out. I'm not against clash jumpers in theory but I 'm against splodges, swoops, swirls fades, cropped images disappearing into seams and colours like beige, taupe, teal, slate etc. (try putting any of those colours into a stirring anthem). " SONS OF THE WEST, BEIGE TAUPE AND TEAL!!!!!!!
AAAAAHH It's revolting.
I completley agree with you, keep the design simple. Complicaed designs almost always look awful.

craigsahibee
25-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Lose the shark logo and the jumper is fine. Colours represent the gold coast environment and variations of the jumper can be used for clash guernsey. Gold Coast Timesharers sounds ok

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Gold Coast High-Density Coastal Living-types.

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Duh that's what clash jumpers are for:D

Nice work on that one I have to say, certainly couldn't be worse than Port.
Whoever named any of the new Trans Tasman netball teams shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it though. Nor the Victory, Roar or Glory. We'd end up with the Gold Coast Tans or Bling or Townhouses or something. At least give them a proper mascot. Please.

The one I can't get my head around is the Tactics.

What the heck kind of a name is that?

Gold Coast Strategy
Gold Coast Positioning
Gold Coast Pre-Game Warmup
Gold Coast Matchups
Gold Coast KPPs

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 04:37 PM
They should be called the Diggers, both in reverence of our war heroes, and it would go nicely with Gold.

The Underdog
29-04-2008, 04:41 PM
The one I can't get my head around is the Tactics.

What the heck kind of a name is that?

Gold Coast Strategy
Gold Coast Positioning
Gold Coast Pre-Game Warmup
Gold Coast Matchups
Gold Coast KPPs

I think you'll find it's Tactix. The misspelling with an x makes it cool and brings in the kids:rolleyes: Don't forget the Central Pulse, that's a ripper too, I like the fact it's completely non-descriptive.

What about the Gold Coast Rotations. It's topical.

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I think you'll find it's Tactix. The misspelling with an x makes it cool and brings in the kids:rolleyes: Don't forget the Central Pulse, that's a ripper too, I like the fact it's completely non-descriptive.

What about the Gold Coast Rotations. It's topical.

Oh God. The "x" actually makes it worse. Much worse.

If we're going with totally made up words now we can be so much more creative!

Gold Coast Xciters!
Gold Coast Markxxx
Gold Coast QuarkX!

Oh, hang on, it can be a completely non-descriptive noun:

Gold Coast Oranges.

Why don't we just be honest and come out with it and put a bloody sponsor's name up there. I mean, we sell naming rights to everything else, don't we? I can just see it:

The Goal Coast Mastercards/Cokes/Telstras/Qantases/KFCs etc etc etc...

The Underdog
29-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh God. The "x" actually makes it worse. Much worse.

If we're going with totally made up words now we can be so much more creative!

Gold Coast Xciters!
Gold Coast Markxxx
Gold Coast QuarkX!

Oh, hang on, it can be a completely non-descriptive noun:

Gold Coast Oranges.

Why don't we just be honest and come out with it and put a bloody sponsor's name up there. I mean, we sell naming rights to everything else, don't we? I can just see it:

The Goal Coast Mastercards/Cokes/Telstras/Qantases/KFCs etc etc etc...

How about the Jetstar Gold Coast Ambivalence (unless they're saving that for Western Sydney)?

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 04:59 PM
They should be called the Diggers
Wasnt that the name of a VFL team a few years ago?

The Underdog
29-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Wasnt that the name of a VFL team a few years ago?

They're now the Bendigo Bombers

The Coon Dog
14-07-2008, 06:45 PM
GC17 bid team float five names for club (http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=63288)

THE Gold Coast bid team have drawn up a shortlist of five for the nickname of the club hoping to be included in the AFL in 2011.

Following the first stage of community input, the names under consideration for the prospective club are Ironmen, Marlins, Guards, Rays and Stingrays.

The GC17 bid team's selection criteria has ruled out public suggestions including Sharks, Cougars, Dolphins and Pirates - all current or past nicknames used by Coast sporting clubs.

The selection process will continue with the club's name to be announced during the 2008 AFL finals series in early September.

GC17 general manager Scott Munn said the club's board received a large public response hundreds of suggestions put forward during the community process.

The five-point selection criteria included community input, legal analysis, commercial viability, branding success, and alignment with the new club's values.

"We have been through a very detailed process following the public submissions," Munn said on Monday.

"This included the creation of selection criteria that highlighted any potential issues with using each name."

The Coon Dog
14-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Of the 5, you would have to think either Marlins or Stingrays.

The Underdog
14-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Of the 5, you would have to think either Marlins or Stingrays.

Yes if they choose Guards or Ironmen they should officially be banned from ever having a team. Rays is next worst. At least Stingrays and Marlins are automatically better than Power.

GVGjr
14-07-2008, 07:03 PM
The Ironmen appeal but I'm guessing that something different will surface.

hujsh
14-07-2008, 07:34 PM
If they become the stingrays Grant and Kerr wouldn't want to play them

ledge
14-07-2008, 08:06 PM
No sea creatures are in the AFL so i am going to back the marlins.
Can picture a jumper with a marlin but a stingray no.

Crizza
14-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I heard a RMIT guy on SEN today and said he was worried about using the name Sting Rays because of Steve Irwin, and obviously to a much lesser extent Kerr and Grant this year; as it has a negative public perception and may significantly decrease the teams popularity initially.

Personally i like the sting rays, i guess it would be shortened to stingers, or rays

Scorlibo
14-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Marlins is the best name by far. Colours look good but agree with what has been posted earlier that it should be nice and simple.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Green and black could be cool.
I thought of diggers too.
I like Ernie's idea of the $$ sign motif.......maybe the piggies would be a good name to fit in with snouts in the trough.

http://www.premierskateboarding.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hal_gl_2_a.jpg

Madone
14-07-2008, 11:22 PM
How about the Gold Coast Meter Maids? They'd do well in their tight gold shorts. :D

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Apparently, the 'Mermaids' (wearing gold & pink) was rejected, whilst the 'Jelly Fish' wasn't considered - a spineless decision I'd say.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 01:10 PM
^^^ I Get It! Jellyfish Dont Have A Spine

Hahahaha Joke Of The Year!!!!

Scraggers
15-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Got me beat why they wont have a Tazzie team , i mean they only need 10,000 people and if they charge by the head well its a 20,000 crowd.

Problem is they wouldn't make any money ... They'd all get in on a family ticket :D

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Green and black could be cool.

http://www.premierskateboarding.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hal_gl_2_a.jpg

Hey that's me! (Well, that's where my WOOF name comes from anyway).. the old-school, original Alan Scott Green Lantern, however. Created before the first Doggies premiership.

BulldogBelle
16-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey that's me! (Well, that's where my WOOF name comes from anyway).. the old-school, original Alan Scott Green Lantern, however. Created before the first Doggies premiership.

Cultural! I used to love the GL comics, before they changed in the 70s or whenever.
:)

GetDimmaBack
17-07-2008, 12:15 AM
What about the "Gold Coast Surf"?
Might become known as The Surfers...

What else is there on the Gold Coast but a few breakers?

There would have to be tan in the colours somewhere.

The Underdog
17-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I think you'll all find the final name will be Marlinz or Stingrayz. The cool misspelling will bring in all those hip GC teen surfer types who rebel against the system.

mighty_west
18-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Not too sure their local Gridiron team would be pleased with the Stingrays name being talked about!

http://www.gcstingrays.com/

hujsh
04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
No nickname but see if the colours seem familiar

Red Blue White and yellow

Better be a shitload of yellow!!!

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2008, 12:32 AM
No nickname is ridiculous - the AFL should make them come up with something. It's as though they're trying to separate themselves from the rest of the competition already, with some bullcrap 'Gold Coast' pride. The colours are ugly, the logo reflects that and the mascot is absolutely laughable.

That mascot is a dead set joke to football.

Rocket Science
05-09-2008, 01:09 AM
No nickname but see if the colours seem familiar

Red Blue White and yellow

Better be a shitload of yellow!!!

What he said!!...If it was black, white and yellow you can imagine the almighty public stink that would spew forth from the Lexus Centre.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me suspects there's no moniker because that'll come later...as in, Kangaroos or Demons.

The Coon Dog
05-09-2008, 05:38 AM
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2008/09/04/gazza050908.jpg

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
So many important things on the plate not decided on yet but think up a stupid mascot. It might as well been the green lantern. How much they pay for that?
This whole thing is a farce.

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Can't wait to see Gazza in his speedos doing pre-match stuff at York Park in July.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Can't wait to see Gazza in his speedos doing pre-match stuff at York Park in July.

Got to be the strangest mascot ever. Are the AFL sure the GC aren't just having a lend of them?

Mofra
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Also, the conspiracy theorist in me suspects there's no moniker because that'll come later...as in, Kangaroos or Demons.
That was the first thing I though of.

The AFL is surely bluffing on WS18 as well, considering all the work they have done to establish GC17 and not a scerrick of effort has been put in to Western Sydney.

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2008, 03:00 PM
That was the first thing I though of.

The AFL is surely bluffing on WS18 as well, considering all the work they have done to establish GC17 and not a scerrick of effort has been put in to Western Sydney.

16,000 tickets sold for the Sydney-North final.

Yep, Sydney's ready for another AFL team.

Mofra
05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
16,000 tickets sold for the Sydney-North final.

Yep, Sydney's ready for another AFL team.
Less than 25% of capacity, disgraceful.

There is a major cultural shift when travellign to Sydney - in Melbourne everyone has a team, in Sydney you may follow a code.

I see a relocation/merger being forced in the near future - why else would WS18 have nothing ready yet & GC17 have no mascot and more colours than the average crowd at a reggae festical?

hujsh
05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2008/09/04/gazza050908.jpg

:confused:

Are they trying to be unpopular?

Give him some bloody boardies not speedos if you want young males to like your club. Or do you want to get the senior citizens to be the target demographic? That'll be long term

why not spend some money on us instead of wasting it on crap like this?

DOG GOD
05-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Does his top remind anyone else of a cheese twistie packet?

Absolutely hideous.

cinder
05-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Way back when Freo were in the same boat, someone Sam Newman interviewed on Street Talk suggested the 'Sh*tfish' as a mascot.
I've always remembered that ... maybe we should suggest it for the GCFC!

mjp
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM

Yes....as long as you remind every Richmond supporter you know that Tigers are ORANGE and Black, not Yellow and Black...and that YELLOW is a color most often used to represent either:
1.Chickens
2.Lack of courage

Then I will forgive you for mentioning this joke of a song on a Dogs website.

The Underdog
10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Not that this thread needed to be brought back to life particularly, but as a fan of Leaping Larry L's (fake) letterbox in the Saturday Age, as well as his radio show on RRR, this seemed to be an appropriate place to paste the following "letter" which appeared this morning and which I found hilarious mainly because it's not that far from the truth. Somewhere a marketing guy is suggesting passion as a sporting team nickname...

Leaping Larry
January 10, 2009

Sticks and stones
I AM an aficionado of terrible sporting team nicknames. While there are many very ordinary ones I find at least commendably lame, particularly those referencing technological or supernatural phenomena, or invoking weather conditions — eg Power, Thunder, Storm, Magic, Spirit — there are relatively few outside the United States' Women's National Basketball Association (eg Liberty, Sky, Sun, Dream, Shock, Lynx, Mystics) and Major League Soccer (Fire, Revolution, Galaxy, Crew) that give supporters absolutely nothing inherent to cheer about, and really reek to high heaven.

While the situation for lovers of appalling team nicknames seems to be improving all the time, (and congratulations to the NBL's Gold Coast Blaze there), I feel we can all do better. Some of my suggestions follow. (Note — you only get the full force of these if you put a team name in front of them, e.g. try Gold Coast, or West Sydney.)

Here are some strong unclaimed contenders: Lavender, Parsley, Indignation, Orgasm, Implosion, Drizzle, Necromancy, Chiffon, Day, Night, Earth, Tiptoe, Schmegeggies, Sunshower/s, Puddle, Splashdown, Ratbags, Passion, Detox, Botox, Clergy, Infection, Voltage, Fauna, Fish, Draught, Drought, Commiseration, and Download.

It is interesting to note that the singular form is almost invariably more weedy than the plural. For example, "Reds" and "Blues" are long-established as forms a supporter can rally behind enthusiastically, whereas "Carlton Blue" would tend to imply a porno movie title, a team selection error, or some variety of insipid mid-strength beer.

One of the most promising and under-explored areas is exemplified by the abstract qualities of a concept like "Spirit". Not only do such nicknames sound hopelessly squirrelly and snooty next to more conventional ones like Tigers, Lions, or perhaps even Mighty Ducks, but they're also impossible to draw, thus preventing any possibility of getting a decent symbol or T-shirt out of them. Further possibilities in this area include: Pluck, Boldness, Bravery, Insouciance, Urbanity, Tolerance, Discipline, Decency, Circumspection, Satisfaction, and Judiciousness. It's hard not to feel that the "Gold Coast Happiness" would have a real ring about it, other than the possibility that when it was yelled out en masse, it would sound like something about a penis.

I.P. Frehley,

Lower Plenty

MikeSheahan
10-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Here's another piece of the jigsaw ..... the club song.

http://player.video.news.com.au/goldcoast/#7GqM8VA7X_xwhjk2TGGTuKtQUzfCBuOP

hujsh
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
That song is hilarious.

"For Gold Coast!"

Mofra
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Freo are wrapt that they won't have the worst song in the league anymore*

* Assuming a club suspiciously bereft of mascot isn't just a front for a forced relocation/merger due in the next 2 years

ledge
11-01-2009, 07:50 PM
SydenhamHillside footy club are known as the sharks and it goes over quite well.