PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 11 vs Sydney 2024

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 11:06 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R11 encounter against Sydney.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2024, 10:39 PM
1. No Libba, Ed, Naughton, Cody, JJ, others - injury list turned fast. Going to test out depth
2. I don’t see it in Bramble
3. The really young kids got a steep learning curve tonight

westdog54
23-05-2024, 11:26 PM
1. No Libba, Ed, Naughton, Cody, JJ, others - injury list turned fast. Going to test out depth
2. I don’t see it in Bramble
3. The really young kids got a steep learning curve tonight

Gonna agree to disagree on your number 2.

1. The kids are alright. Saw enough out of Sanders, Bramble and Gallagher to persist with, and Garcia and West both stepped up well even called upon.

2. Liam Jones should be in All Australian considerations.

3. Rory Lobb will never get a better chance at showing his worth than the next two months.

westbulldog
23-05-2024, 11:35 PM
1. Injuries to Naughton, Richards and Scott may well have cost us the game.
2. Mount Surprise is 600 km east of Normanton or 380 km southwest of Cairns in Queensland Savanah Country and
that is exactly where umpire 32 JACOB MOLLISON should be officiating next week after the absurd
50m against VDM.
3. Other than Bramble's moment of idiocy when we were just 5 points down, the kids did well as Westdog54 just
said.

GVGjr
23-05-2024, 11:49 PM
1 - We can't be scheduled to play home games on Thursday nights unless it as against a big drawing Melbourne team. Our supporters don't want it
2 - Sanders is ready for an extended run in the seniors. His time at Footscray was productive.
3 - Daniels return to form was a positive

And to ever is the injury god...well I'm going to need to speak to his/her supervisor

jDogs
24-05-2024, 12:22 AM
1. West needs more time in the middle, and not just when the game is just about done. He has a chaotic element to his game which is beneficial, that kick out of mid air was great.
2. Injuries/Concussions are going to be a massive headache for the AFL and I can see football looking like a very different sport in 10 years.
3. I will not be sleeping well until there is some confirmation on Naughton's injury.

comrade
24-05-2024, 12:25 AM
2. Injuries/Concussions are going to be a massive headache for the AFL and I can see football looking like a very different sport in 10 years.

I had a similar conversation after the game. Won?t be surprised if helmets are mandatory at some point.

SonofScray
24-05-2024, 12:28 AM
1. Going home angry with the umpires can be a good sign.
2. Darcy, Sanders, Gags, West, Garcia in the guts when the heat is on. They can be trusted.
3. Only some arms are chopped, others are gently caressed.

SonofScray
24-05-2024, 12:29 AM
I had a similar conversation after the game. Won?t be surprised if helmets are mandatory at some point.
If they can prove that helmets actually help.

Scorlibo
24-05-2024, 12:30 AM

They need to review the contact below the knees rule, which has always been in direct conflict with kicking in danger, and also encourages this 'proper technique' we hear so much about and results in a huge amount of head collisions.

Dry Rot
24-05-2024, 12:43 AM
1. What is more surprising, scary and dangerous than hitting clear air turbulence in a Singapore airlines plane?

Keath with his hands on the ball.

2. Both West and Garcia competed in the guts, so give them good time there. I think we looked a lot more dangerous and unpredictable when they were there.

3. This team may have turned a corner. Last week's game was difficult, and they really turned up, ditto this week, and if we could kick ****ing goals, we might have won despite three players down.

4. Our tackling is still pretty shithouse.

Dry Rot
24-05-2024, 12:44 AM
2. Darcy, Sanders, Gags, West, Garcia in the guts when the heat is on. They can be trusted.

I would add not just trusted, but they can give us a point of difference and an edge.

Grantysghost
24-05-2024, 12:50 AM
1. Richards' concussion situation is a real issue. That wasn't a super hard head clash and he fails the scat. It really must be awful playing with that in your mind.

2. Being tall in the forward line means good teams can win stoppage and rebound and score. Tonight we got it in there, but were too tall and if we didn't mark it it came out too easily. 14 stoppages for 2 goals in forward 50. One tall too many.

3. Warner is a gun. Massive wanker (who trash talks the Bont), however love him at the Dogs. Another astute piece of recruiting by the Swans.

Grantysghost
24-05-2024, 12:51 AM

Issue is they don't prevent concussion. Need a helmet between your brain and your skull.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/podcasts/head-noise-helmet-no-defence-against-concussion/news-story/87d0712a7502889d654edf7cc8ae1fb4

Scorlibo
24-05-2024, 01:05 AM
1. Sanders has some mongrel in him. It took a demotion to bring it out, but it's there. It wasn't a perfect game but he showed a side to his game that's been missing. Well done to the kid for grasping the opportunity.

2. We don't need to come up with nicknames for the players, Bevo will do it for us. He's coined the three Ryleys in the middle the 'Triple R Radio Station'. I'll look forward to tuning in next week.

3. This team and the way it is being coached is the real deal. Our ladder position doesn't reflect our true standing in the competition and while it will be tough to make finals with a tough draw, we are good enough to win a final or two if we do make it.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 01:25 AM
1. Some of the Sydney supporters sitting in the Bulldog seats deserved a good old fashioned beating.

2. The young kids got the job done in the last quarter in the middle. As Bevo called them the Triple Rs. It was great to see them influence the game like that.

3. Chad Warner is an elite footballer. Lowered his colours in the midfield battler prior to half time. Goes forward and basically wins the game off his own boot. It hurt, but gee whiz it was impressive to see.

MrMahatma
24-05-2024, 01:39 AM
1. We played the best there is, men down and off a 5 day break, and it took our own inefficiency in front of goal and the aliens to beat us.
2. Our kids are good. They’re well developed and are gonna be quality. They make mistakes, but cause they’re coached to take the right option, which sometimes comes with risk.
3. Reckon we make the 8 and go deep. We’re no St Kilda.

AshMac
24-05-2024, 07:13 AM
1. A brave game across the whole playing group with glimpses of our best footy.
2. Our F50 efficiency cost us the game - we regularly get more chances at scoring than our opposition
3. I really felt the umpiring impacted the final 10 minutes. The way our forwards are manhandled was ridiculous, the lack of HTB?s and the 50 against VDM for something Blakey did 3 minutes earlier was infuriating

Bullies
24-05-2024, 09:29 AM
1. Being at the game you notice so much more the reason both Daniel and Macrae can't play in the same side when we are at full strength. Their lack of pace really stands out which is now impacting their disposal. You can see why Bevo is going with pace.

2. The defenders and English did not come off the ground in the 2nd half. Well done guys. Those saying Keath looked slow need to try doing what he did last night.

3. The unpredicability of the 3 little bulls going into the mid field in the last was a sight to see. They more than held their own and certainly made a contest.

4. You can see the improvement with Sanders already with his defensive traits he has been learning in the 2's. That spell in the 2's should keep him in good stead.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2024, 09:31 AM
1. Being at the game you notice so much more the reason both Daniel and Macrae can't play in the same side when we are at full strength. Their lack of pace really stands out which is now impacting their disposal. You can see why Bevo is going with pace.

2. The defenders and English did not come off the ground in the 2nd half. Well done guys. Those saying Keath looked slow need to try doing what he did last night.

3. The unpredicability of the 3 little bulls going into the mid field in the last was a sight to see. They more than held their own and certainly made a contest.

4. You can see the improvement with Sanders already with his defensive traits he has been learning in the 2's. That spell in the 2's should keep him in good stead.

As I said in another thread. CD still offers us something. I think Macrae needs a new home to refresh his career.

The Adelaide Connection
24-05-2024, 09:46 AM
1. We can match it with the best. I do always worry that we are a team that likes to play to the standard of our opposition.
The challenge is to play like this each week, not let teams we should towel up have season bests against us (WC/Hawks late last year).

2. Somebody has been kicking black cats under ladders and through mirrors. Seriously- as if a 5 day break wasn't enough without all that carnage.

3. A few weeks is a long time in football. Wonder if everyone who was burning memberships will be ringing the club to get a replacement

bornadog
24-05-2024, 09:56 AM
1. Although the younger players did well, they still make costly mistakes and don't have the strength to tackle properly - lots of broken tackles last night.

2. I am sick and tired of umpires influencing a game - those two 50m penalties for knocking the ball out of the players hands were utter bullshit. When it happened to us - nothing.

3. Swans have finishing polish, our young players need to learn how to.

azabob
24-05-2024, 10:10 AM
1. Although the younger players did well, they still make costly mistakes and don't have the strength to tackle properly - lots of broken tackles last night.

2. I am sick and tired of umpires influencing a game - those two 50m penalties for knocking the ball out of the players hands were utter bullshit. When it happened to us - nothing.

3. Swans have finishing polish, our young players need to learn how to.

Jack Macrae seemed to also get bulldozed through a number of times which was also disappointing.

The Swans finishing ability makes me sick. Not only finishing in front of goal but in general play.

I do wonder how it will hold up in preliminary final weekend... at times we pressured them into mistakes.

Sedat
24-05-2024, 10:17 AM
The Swans finishing ability makes me sick. Not only finishing in front of goal but in general play.

I do wonder how it will hold up in preliminary final weekend... at times we pressured them into mistakes.
They were deadly by foot last night. Every little mistake we made was punished on the scoreboard, which is what elite teams do.

You're right with regard to less time and space in finals and how it affects those teams who rely on the uncontested game more. They have some bulls in midfield, even though we beat them comprehensively in there last night.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2024, 10:29 AM
Jack Macrae seemed to also get bulldozed through a number of times which was also disappointing.

Yep, it’s just plain sad seeing him this year. He’s slower, seemingly indecisive, gets pushed around, can’t stick tackles and is a general non factor. I can’t remember a player ever falling so far so quickly than what Jack is going through.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-05-2024, 10:32 AM
1. Once in a blue moon, you'll watch your team go down with the odds against them and still be very proud. This is the sort of game that can give players and supporters renewed hope.

2.Going to thursday night footy isn't great.

3. Bevo still has the players playing for him.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2024, 10:37 AM
1. West needs more time in the middle, and not just when the game is just about done. He has a chaotic element to his game which is beneficial, that kick out of mid air was great.
3. I will not be sleeping well until there is some confirmation on Naughton's injury.

No 2 is a great point. With so many concussions in games these days you also have to consider extended interchanges. Teams are going to get screwed over like we did last night with no extra runners to bring in. Extra subs are needed that you can bring in.

SlimPickens
24-05-2024, 10:44 AM
1. Our conditioning is very good. The fact we ran out the game reasonably well considering the injuries and 5 day break was incredibly positive.

2. Bont needs to spend time forward (i'd be looking 70/30 forward/mid) whilst Naughton recovers. I dont think Lobb is an automatic selection.

3. I'm slowly coming around to seeing the importance the VDM brings to the side, his work rate to create options and space when others couldn't was very impressive.

Mantis
24-05-2024, 11:11 AM
1. Our conditioning is very good. The fact we ran out the game reasonably well considering the injuries and 5 day break was incredibly positive.

2. Bont needs to spend time forward (i'd be looking 70/30 forward/mid) whilst Naughton recovers. I dont think Lobb is an automatic selection.

3. I'm slowly coming around to seeing the importance the VDM brings to the side, his work rate to create options and space when others couldn't was very impressive.

Good calls Slim.

We were cooked at 3/4 time, but the shift of personnel in the midfield gave us a fresh lift and we finished really strong... We were still out on our feet trying to defend at times, but scrambled well.

Good call on Bont moving forward, the likes of West & Garcia have shown the ability to be impactful in the centre so the reliance on Bont to have big midfield minutes is lessened.

kickit2Koly
24-05-2024, 12:31 PM
1. The swans are very beatable, they are not as good as their 10-1 record would suggest. I'm not sure their game style holds up in a high pressure finals and I look forward to them choking on the big stage again.

2. You have to respect the stones on Bevo. With his job seemingly on the line and people coming for him all year, he plays the kids in important positions at important times. I loved that we were down by 5 goals and our midfield rotation was Sander, Garcia, west and Treloar. All four showed some grit and played a large part in getting us back into the game.

3. Just when you thought umpiring couldn't get any worse the AFL said hold my beer and added a 4th. I have never felt more frustrated at the inconsistency of umpiring. The arm chop paid once and then not again for the rest of the game, the 7 x 50m penalties, the rubbish stand rule, players been allowed to just drop the ball etc. Finally the crescendo of incompetency the 50 on VDM after the non call on Blakey earlier in the qtr ruined the end of a good game.

Bullies
24-05-2024, 02:53 PM
1. The swans are very beatable, they are not as good as their 10-1 record would suggest. I'm not sure their game style holds up in a high pressure finals and I look forward to them choking on the big stage again.

2. You have to respect the stones on Bevo. With his job seemingly on the line and people coming for him all year, he plays the kids in important positions at important times. I loved that we were down by 5 goals and our midfield rotation was Sander, Garcia, west and Treloar. All four showed some grit and played a large part in getting us back into the game.

3. Just when you thought umpiring couldn't get any worse the AFL said hold my beer and added a 4th. I have never felt more frustrated at the inconsistency of umpiring. The arm chop paid once and then not again for the rest of the game, the 7 x 50m penalties, the rubbish stand rule, players been allowed to just drop the ball etc. Finally the crescendo of incompetency the 50 on VDM after the non call on Blakey earlier in the qtr ruined the end of a good game. Agree. To put it on the line and throw the 3 little bulls in the middle in the last was a masterstroke and entertaining to watch.

Danny the snakeman
24-05-2024, 04:08 PM
3.Wonder if everyone who was burning memberships will be ringing the club to get a replacement

You do know the people that say that are FOS. I bet not 1 of them did it.

The Adelaide Connection
24-05-2024, 04:56 PM
You do know the people that say that are FOS. I bet not 1 of them did it.

Yeah, I know. But I am still going to track them all down and remind them of their toddler dummy spit.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I know. But I am still going to track them all down and remind them of their toddler dummy spit.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/xr9AQyxLtjlx4IeYtN/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i0d98zq7erksaa751c7vrw6zvph57l6jdest95y q&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Virgin-Dog
25-05-2024, 02:18 AM
1. We can beat Sydney. There was the trademark inaccuracy, but take away that late 50 and it was an 8 point game (maybe even 2 points given our momentum), and that?s after spending half the game with only 2 on the bench. If Richards and Naughton stayed in, we win convincingly.

2. Richards is the next big thing. Those stats at half time, and his impact on the game up until then, has him in AA territory next year. And it wouldn?t surprise me if he starts polling Brownlow votes sooner rather than later.

3. I might actually start caring about footy again, after mostly losing interest at the start of this year. We?re playing an exciting brand of footy, we?re fitter, and the young ones are playing important roles rather than being carried by Bont, Libba and co every game

EasternWest
25-05-2024, 03:28 PM

I'm sorry if ever I upset you, TAC.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tM3Twf1/hitlist-buscemi.gif (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
25-05-2024, 03:42 PM
Wow, strange retaliation by Philp. Could be costly.

The Adelaide Connection
26-05-2024, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry if ever I upset you, TAC.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tM3Twf1/hitlist-buscemi.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Haha, gold.

D Mitchell
26-05-2024, 01:10 AM
1. Best games from Gallagher, West, Bramble, Harmes, Freijah, Garcia, Sanders as a component of the team. Kept together, should improve exponentially as the year progresses. Maybe, just maybe.
2. The forward line leaks exits in the absence of Naughton and Weightman. The players with the best defensive games are all injured. Are the forwards excused tackling and chasing ?
3. Something has to be done about tackling and breaking tackles.

1eyedog
26-05-2024, 02:54 PM

Well from top 4 to now struggling to make the 8 they're probably well within their right I suppose.

We'll probably be in the bottom 6 after this round so if some are unhappy about that given the preseason beat up I guess that's pretty fair.

Jeanette54
26-05-2024, 05:18 PM
3. Something has to be done about tackling and breaking tackles.

Oh, I dunno. How many more tackles would you like Garcia and West to break ?

D Mitchell
26-05-2024, 05:22 PM
16 other players break as many and tackles to stick. The ease with which Sydney players were able to brush off tackling attempts was depressing.

The Adelaide Connection
26-05-2024, 07:04 PM
Well from top 4 to now struggling to make the 8 they're probably well within their right I suppose.

We'll probably be in the bottom 6 after this round so if some are unhappy about that given the preseason beat up I guess that's pretty fair.

You can be critical and constructive, without being a complete douche though.

Sport is a rollercoaster and the lows can feel damn low and pretty frustrating, nobody here would likely argue against that.

But the whole "never watching another game/my team are dead to me" crowd need to go away and focus on strategies for their own emotional regulation before jumping online. It's embarrassing to hear grown ass adults churning this stuff out.

SonofScray
27-05-2024, 07:00 PM
You can be critical and constructive, without being a complete douche though.

Sport is a rollercoaster and the lows can feel damn low and pretty frustrating, nobody here would likely argue against that.

But the whole "never watching another game/my team are dead to me" crowd need to go away and focus on strategies for their own emotional regulation before jumping online. It's embarrassing to hear grown ass adults churning this stuff out.

Or just let people express themselves. A lot of folk ride the waves and express their frustration in the moment and say stupid, irrational shit. That’s all part of being a fan. Part of the pantomime. It’s a pretty boring existence if everything is clinical analysis and SuperCoach fantasies.

The Adelaide Connection
28-05-2024, 01:52 AM
Or just let people express themselves. A lot of folk ride the waves and express their frustration in the moment and say stupid, irrational shit. That’s all part of being a fan. Part of the pantomime. It’s a pretty boring existence if everything is clinical analysis and SuperCoach fantasies.

So where do you draw the line? The Facebook threads are a pretty wild place full of some pretty low blows for example.

I am not saying people can't express themselves- but I am saying get your shit together before you post. Be passionate. Be pissed off.

But be constructive and if you wouldn't say it in real life, don't say it from the safety of your desk hiding behind a handle or whatever.