PDA

View Full Version : The next 5 weeks

Go_Dogs
27-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Well, we're sitting nicely at the moment, the next 5 weeks are all massive tests though.

Sydney away, Freo away, and also matches against the Kangas, Hawks and the Saints again.

The beauty of it is we are sitting at 5-1-0 and should be able to hopefully reach the 8 win mark by the half way point of the season, if we can snare 3 wins out of these 5 weeks. We really need to capitalise on our good start and build towards the top 4. Each side we play over the next 5 weeks rightly have claims on the 8 - if we want to press for top 4 we need to be able to beat these sides.

Going to be an interesting few weeks of football.

Where do others see us sitting after these next 5 games? Where do we need to be to make top 4, and should that be our ultimate aim from this point of the season?

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2008, 11:50 AM
If we win 3 of the next 5 we'll finish top 4.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Beat the Saints and the Roos and one of the interstate teams, 3 from 5. If we really want to get some momentum swap the Saints or the Ross for Hawthorn.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Where do we need to be to make top 4, and should that be our ultimate aim from this point of the season?
I think that we will win three possibly four of the next five games, which I think will be good enough to keep us in the top four.

I think that aiming for top four at the moment would be getting ahead of ourselves, but I would say that top six is Definitely possible.

Dancin' Douggy
28-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I reckon we can beat the swans.

aker39
28-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I reckon we can beat the swans.

The bookies don't.

Swans $1.45
Dogs $2.55

GVGjr
28-04-2008, 11:22 AM
If we win 3 of the next 5 we'll finish top 4.

With so many of the interstate teams sliding at the moment it increases the chance that even finishing 4th would mean a home final in the first week.

The Doctor
28-04-2008, 11:36 AM
The two games that worry me most in this lot are

Freo away, then Kangas

I don't like the idea of playing Freo away straight up after having played a gruelling team like Sydney away. THen after 2 hard road trips we have another tough team in the Kangas waiting for us.

But Scooter is right we need to nail 3 of these to have legitimate claims to a top 4 berth.

aker39
28-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't like the idea of playing Freo away straight up after having played a gruelling team like Sydney away. THen after 2 hard road trips we have another tough team in the Kangas waiting for us.

But Scooter is right we need to nail 3 of these to have legitimate claims to a top 4 berth.

We actually have a weeks rest before we play Freo. (No games cause of the Hall Of Fame game.) Well at least some of our players will have a weeks rest.

Desipura
28-04-2008, 11:44 AM
The two games that worry me most in this lot are

Freo away, then Kangas

Don't forget we have a bye between playing Syd & Freo

The Doctor
28-04-2008, 11:49 AM
We actually have a weeks rest before we play Freo. (No games cause of the Hall Of Fame game.) Well at least some of our players will have a weeks rest.

Ahh, missed that. Will help certainly.

1eyedog
28-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Is Johnno playing for the Big V? I reckon he should miss it.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Is Johnno playing for the Big V? I reckon he should miss it.

He's in the squad, tho on form you'd have to say he doesn't warrant a spot.

aker39
28-04-2008, 05:12 PM
tho on form you'd have to say he doesn't warrant a spot.

Not that that means anything.

If it was based on form, Daniel Cross would be in there.

Mantis
28-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Not that that means anything.

If it was based on form, Daniel Cross would be in there.

He probably will make the squad now, but I don't think he will play, but I suppose it depends on what type of team Williams/ the AFL want to have.

If the AFL wants the game to be a spectacle Cross doesn't play.

If Williams wants to win the game Cross plays.

The AFL usually get what they want.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 06:50 PM
The bookies don't.

Swans $1.45
Dogs $2.55

Take the money aker39

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:15 PM
For me it's:

Sydney - a loss
Freo - a win
Kangaroos - win
Hawthorn - loss
St Kilda - win

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:15 PM
If we beat the Swans we are a genuine team this year. The three/four tests to see if we were the real deal were Adelaide, the Saints, West Coast and Sydney.

We've taken care of three of them, albeit at home. Sydney away would be the first genuine, genuine test, of the maturity of the team, more than anything else. We've copped only beltings at the SCG in the past few years. Even a close, low-scoring loss, would be a good sign. If we blow them out of the water, though, then this group of players will have finally, finally arrived, after threatening to do so for the longest time.

I think a fact that has been overlooked slightly is that we've played most of our games at home this year. In a sense, our season really starts this week.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:17 PM
For me it's:

Sydney - a loss
Freo - a win
Kangaroos - win
Hawthorn - loss
St Kilda - win

Good calls,
I have a feeling that we'll beat Hawthorn though, and I'm not too confident about the Saints the second time around (although I still don't think they'll make the 8).

BUT, we haven't lost yet, so it's a brave man predicting our first loss!

hujsh
28-04-2008, 10:19 PM
If we beat Sydney round 1 people would be saying that our real test will be against Adelaide at AAMI this Sunday.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
So, we've won 3 of 4 thus far, winning against Sydney, Freo and Hawthorn, but suffering a loss against the Roos. If we win this week against the Saints we'll be 4/5 from this block and looking very good. Our predictions were we'd be happy with 3/5, so let's hope we can notch the win. Still a few tough opponents left this year, Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, as well as Adelaide and the Roos again.