PDA

View Full Version : Ray, Everitt and Williams.....

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Are all in contention for selection over the next few weeks, provided their form warrants selection!

The big question is, who do drop to bring these guys in??

The 3 obvious names would of been, Callan, Addison and Hill and maybe even Cam Wight but these boys have shown that they are more than capable of playing at the to level and have all put in some blinders.

Callan has ben fantastic for us. Hard at the contest, head over the ball and good over his head. He is even starting to gain confidence and overlapping with runs through the middle. He has shown he is willing to kill himself to win a contest (love that) We need this in our backline and he is playing like someone is in our best 22.

Addison is fantastic. he embodies the true bulldog spirit, hard as nails, absolutely no fear, hard running and very good ball winning ability. He has progressively gotten better over the last few weeks and has been guilty far lass of errant disposal. His decison making is still a bit down, but that comes from experience. Very much in our top 22.

Josh Hill began with a flury in his first few games. He had the poise and presence of mind of somebody who has played over 100 games of footy. His hands are good and understands how to read the game. His form of late has not been so flash and he has dropped way off from the form that won him the rising star nom, but still doing some nice things. Out of the 3, I think Josh Hill is the one player who they might consider dropping if his form doesn't lift to what we know it can.

So......

Who do we drop?

Daniel Giansiracusa is one that I would drop immeadiately. His form has been very very poor and apart from the odd opportunistic goal, he is well down on intensity for a contest, strength in his body and is as slow as a wet week. Time and time again he was bundled out of the way, losing his footing and really didn't provide a contest 1 on 1 when the ball was in the air. He needs some time to go back and find his feet.

Nathan Eagleton is another who needs to go back and re discover how to use the footbal again. His kicking and decision making has been pretty average over the last 3 weeks and he has not been anywhere near as damaging as we would like. He's been continually mis kicking with that long left foot and it seems it's the trick he has. Unless he is wheeling around on the left, he doesn't seem to have any contingencies if he is down a bit. Eagle is an out wide player who is expected to run, and kick goals, he is doing neither at the moment and I think he is in line for a stint with Willy.

I wouldn't drop Cam Wight at the moment, he is doing quite well and last night was a great performance. He spoilt well, got to the contest, overlapped and kicked a great goal.

That leaves me with two exclusions as I simply cannot see a 3rd one.

Everitt is not a backman and would be great to use as a roaming player as we do with Eagle. His skills and game reading are very good and is more versatile.

Ray a straight swap for Gia. Ray is quick, good overhead and has a bigger engine. He is also super creative (then again so is Gia, so that cancels out)

What a fantastic problem we are faced with, players fighting for their position and raising their game each week to ensure they stay in the side. This is what having a little depth will do to the form of a side.

Discuss?? Who will have to make way in the coming weeks and why?????

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Obviously Gia is one of your Scape goats.
No where near being dropped.

I'm not a great Eagleton fan but he won't be dropped in a hurry.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't think there are any obvious changes at the moment, but Ray will have to squeeze back in somewhere when he is ready, as he is certainly in the best 22.

The other 2 you mentioned will have to prove themselves with consistent B's form.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Obviously Gia is one of your Scape goats.
No where near being dropped.

I'm not a great Eagleton fan but he won't be dropped in a hurry.
What are you talking about, scapegoat?

I'm looking at possible replacements for these players that will be pushing for selection. Gia has been poor, are you disputing this?

Eagleton has is nowhere near it, why wouldn't he be considered?

Like it or not we have to make some hard calls and these two guys are not playing anywhere near well enough to hold down a spot. It's not about scapegoating as it is having a good problem of players fighting for their spots and it doesn't matter who you are, you need to be on top of your game.

I know how you love a good stouche Ernie:D

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes very apt assessment. I have also lost patience with Guido, I think he needs a rest for Ray. Even considering the loss of Higgins we have many creative forwards like Guido at the moment and he's not doing enough. Drop Guido for Ray and drop Hill for Everitt. Addison and Callan are safe and Wight deserves a few more weeks after his performance last night. Pretty cut-throat isn't it but with depth now we need to get the best options on the park. I'm not saying Ray and Everitt are the best options, but if others are not pulling their weight or are a little down then there are players in the wings waiting for their turn. I don't think Guido has been bad so to speak, he had a great game the other week, he's just not the Guido of old and needs a rest to have a think about things and find some form IMO. I know Rocket will not want to drop Hill but his past three games have been ordinary, I'm happy enough if he isn't dropped as he is still a contributor but I reckon Everitt looked more creative with his few games last year and I think he should come in. The only person I could think of to drop for Everitt is Hill, so bit unlucky but that's AFL football. As Big Will said we are all bits of meat!

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Actually upon reconsideration Ego for Everitt may be a better option.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think there are any obvious changes at the moment, but Ray will have to squeeze back in somewhere when he is ready, as he is certainly in the best 22.

The other 2 you mentioned will have to prove themselves with consistent B's form.

Fair call. At the start of the year it was a big worry about being short down back but we have been much better and our midfielders are working harder pushing back.

I think if their form is undeniable, the players I have mentioned are certainly in the firing line.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes very apt assessment. I have also lost patience with Guido, I think he needs a rest for Ray. Even considering the loss of Higgins we have many creative forwards like Guido at the moment and he's not doing enough. Drop Guido for Ray and drop Hill for Everitt. Addison and Callan are safe and Wight deserves a few more weeks after his performance last night. Pretty cut-throat isn't it but with depth now we need to get the best options on the park. I'm not saying Ray and Everitt are the best options, but if others are not pulling their weight or are a little down then there are players in the wings waiting for their turn. I don't think Guido has been bad so to speak, he had a great game the other week, he's just not the Guido of old and needs a rest to have a think about things and find some form IMO. I know Rocket will not want to drop Hill but his past three games have been ordinary, I'm happy enough if he isn't dropped as he is still a contributor but I reckon Everitt looked more creative with his few games last year and I think he should come in. The only person I could think of to drop for Everitt is Hill, so bit unlucky but that's AFL football. As Big Will said we are all bits of meat!

Sometimes others are just far more eloquant in explaining their views, Beautifully summed up. :cool:

wimberga
27-04-2008, 01:56 PM
For mine, swapping Eagle for Ray sounds like a better option. Like seeing Ray on the wing, however, dont believe this is what will happen.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm surprised that some are less than impressed with Guido's form to date this year. I think he has lifted his game to a high standard this year, and is amongst the leaders in the league for goal assists.
I was not happy with his form last year, but I think he has gained ground again and is back to the mark required of a team leader.
Not a chance of him getting dropped on present form.

His ranking against other Dogs teammates this year are as follows.

Ranked 5th for possessions for the season.
Ranked 5th for marks per game.
Ranked 5th for average tackles per game.
Ranked 3rd in clearances per game
Ranked 7th for inside 50's.

I know stats can say many things, but these are not the numbers for a bloke who is on the verge of being dropped.
He has improved his hardness, does not go to ground as much, and is and always has been a very good shot at goal. He is a vital part of our forward line and with his improved hardness a good rotation for the midfield.

As for who will make way for Ray, Everitt and Williams. At this point in time it would be hard to say. Not too much need for change when you've yet to drop a game. Let's see how these 3 go on the injury comeback trail, and it will be a worry I will gladly accept as to who to drop if their form warrants consideration.
Next week will be a big test for Hill, he may be under the most pressure, given he has the least experience of our top 22. If Ray shows good form in the next 2-3 weeks either he or Eagleton may come under scrutiny.
Wight although he has shown improvement, still has some way to go, and whether he holds his place long term will be determined by whether he continues to improve week by week, and how well either Williams or Everitt go in the next 3 weeks. Given Williams has been injured since December, his fitness base is not going to be up to scratch, so I don't think we can expect to see him in a Dogs jumper for some weeks. Everitty maybe 2-4 weeks of time with Williamstown is required, befroe he will be considered.
I tend to think Ward, Tiller and maybe Skipper will be up for consideration before Williams or Everitt.

The Doctor
27-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I tend to think Ward, Tiller and maybe Skipper will be up for consideration before Williams or Everitt.

Very fair call there YHF.

We all would love to see Ray, Williams and Everitt in the senior team because we know they are in our best 22. However their spots have to be earned and not earned by potential but by performance and I mean sustained performance.

Ward, Tiller and Skipper deserve to be ahead of these 3 at this stage. This may and possibly could change quite quickly but for now they have the upper hand.

I'd really like to see Ray, Williams and Everitt get plenty of Willi time because of their limited pre-seasons. We're going OK without them at the moment and we have a long season ahead of us with many tough battles to face. So, the harder we work them into form and the harder we make them earn their spots the better depth we will have and the better we will be as a team.

wb_age
27-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I wasn't even going to bother posting, but i couldn't help myself.

It's just disappointing to read other posters thoughts with regard to Gia, he has been exceptional all year thus far, he has kicked goals when we needed them (both miraculous ones and also set shots late in the game), he has been team orientated and would have to be leading our goal assists, sticks his tackles more often then not.

There is no way you would get this sort of return from either Ray or Everit, especially coming back from long injuries.

So what do you expect from Gia??

I must add that I never used to see why Eagle copped such a bake on the forums, but now i see, no defensive pressure/accountability, no right foot and his trusty left is letting him down.

If a runner needs to be dropped, i think it should be Eagle! Not Gia!

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm surprised that some are less than impressed with Guido's form to date this year. I think he has lifted his game to a high standard this year, and is amongst the leaders in the league for goal assists.
I was not happy with his form last year, but I think he has gained ground again and is back to the mark required of a team leader.

I know stats can say many things, but these are not the numbers for a bloke who is on the verge of being dropped.
He has improved his hardness, does not go to ground as much, and is and always has been a very good shot at goal. He is a vital part of our forward line and with his improved hardness a good rotation for the midfield.

As for who will make way for Ray, Everitt and Williams. At this point in time it would be hard to say. Not too much need for change when you've yet to drop a game. Let's see how these 3 go on the injury comeback trail, and it will be a worry I will gladly accept as to who to drop if their form warrants consideration.
Next week will be a big test for Hill, he may be under the most pressure, given he has the least experience of our top 22. If Ray shows good form in the next 2-3 weeks either he or Eagleton may come under scrutiny.
Wight although he has shown improvement, still has some way to go, and whether he holds his place long term will be determined by whether he continues to improve week by week, and how well either Williams or Everitt go in the next 3 weeks. Given Williams has been injured since December, his fitness base is not going to be up to scratch, so I don't think we can expect to see him in a Dogs jumper for some weeks. Everitty maybe 2-4 weeks of time with Williamstown is required, befroe he will be considered.

Fair enough but we have high expectations of him also considering he is in the leadership group. I would be interested to see his contested possession count against the rest of the team, his clanger count and his tackle count.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I wasn't even going to bother posting, but i couldn't help myself.

It's just disappointing to read other posters thoughts with regard to Gia, he has been exceptional all year thus far, he has kicked goals when we needed them (both miraculous ones and also set shots late in the game), he has been team orientated and would have to be leading our goal assists, sticks his tackles more often then not.

There is no way you would get this sort of return from either Ray or Everit, especially coming back from long injuries.

So what do you expect from Gia??

I must add that I never used to see why Eagle copped such a bake on the forums, but now i see, no defensive pressure/accountability, no right foot and his trusty left is letting him down.

If a runner needs to be dropped, i think it should be Eagle! Not Gia!

Hard to go against a bloke when he is a hero to you I know...

wb_age
27-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Moron! Glad we don't have wankers like you on the selection panel at the club.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 04:06 PM

Ranked 5th on average. To me this means he is the 5th best midfielder in the team, sounds about right after Cross, Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, West (who else there to really compete against in the midfield?) 5th highest means he is the least performed midfielder in the team. Seriously, I am a Guido fan, always has been but he is not a midfielder. He needs to be a creative option in the forward line and kick goals. I would also be interested in how many goals he has kicked this year against his average of the last few years. You have posted a series of numbers up on Guido that I don't feel are all that flattering considering he is classified as a mid now, number of goals, tackles, clanger count and contested possessions would be a much better analysis of how is going.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Well that's just delightful. And I think you have misunderstood me, although we lash out at what we don't understand so I won't hold it against you. My reference to hero was also labeled at me (I said in a previous post that I am a big Guido fan, always have been), so it is hard for me (as a Guido fan) to write a post against him. Please use your brains in the future, while I do not take offence to anything said against me on any forum I rarely suffer idiots who lash out rather than try to see underlining meaning.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I think Callan Ward is ahead of all of them at the moment. Has already kicked three today for Williamstown.

Interesting that Jarryd Grant has kicked four too. Peter Street is also tearing North Ballarat apart.

Ray is going ok but havent heard anything of Williams or Everitt on the radio call.

These guys will have to earn their places.

soupman
27-04-2008, 05:42 PM
In the absence of Power and McMahon Gia has stepped up to be our chosen scapegoat, despite not really doing anything to deserve this ranking.

Gia has been good thus far this season, he generally makes the most of his oppurtnities up forward, kicks goals when needed and as the stats show contributes to the team. Despite this, last night I was seated near a Bulldogs "supporter" who every time Gia went near the ball he would be negative, including one time when after an out on the full Gia tried to get the ball moving by kicking it to someone in a better position before the umpire gave the kick to someone else.

Gia's biggest problem lately is his lack of height. I know it sounds weird but recently when we are struggliong within games for options up forward we often kick to Gia's leads, and this is where the opposition matchups come into it. Against Essendon Fletcher was frequently the bloke on Gia, so every time we passed to Gia he had no hope due to Fletchers ridiculously long limbs. Gia would often do enough to bring the ball to ground, but would lose out in that he doesn't have the pace to break away and other opponents will come over to support. Gia one on one, if the ball is placed correctly, often makes something out of it, eg. his goals last night. Coupled with his reported leadership abilities, he deserves his spot in the side, and plays a different role to Farren anyway.

I think Josh Hill is starting to look like being dropped, but will probably be kept in this week. Farren probably doesn't need to come in this week, the SCG isn't really big enough to suit his style. Everitt and Williams would be handy, but aren't vital. Sydney don't have an overly tall forwardline, but are hard at it. Addison and Callan, who probably wouldn't have been considered as members of our best 22 previously, both deserve their spots for a while. They give us hardness and toughness that we haven't had in a while. Wight is another who's grown, he's working well around the ground and even kicking goals. To be honest we don't need to bring anybody in this week, and nobody deserves to be dropped. The week after, if Hill doesn't perform we could look at Farren coming in for him, but its not necessary.

Really, I'm content with our current line-up, theres a good mix of height, skill and hardness, and whilst Everitt, Williams and Ray are certainly good enough to play, nobody has been bad enough to be dropped for them.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 06:29 PM
One stat...assists

Giansiracusa, Daniel 14
Cooney, Adam 11
Murphy, Robert 10
Akermanis, Jason 8
Cross, Daniel 8
Johnson, Brad 8

May not be kicking goals but setting them up IMO is more valuable.

Assists also don't get recognized as much as goals.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm looking at possible replacements for these players that will be pushing for selection. Gia has been poor, are you disputing this?

Yes, I'm disputing it. The performances and statistics say the opposite. Whilst he may not have been in Brownlow form, he is miles away from being dropped. It was only a couple of months ago he was going to be out for the season.

Eagleton has is nowhere near it, why wouldn't he be considered?
Despite what you or I think of Eagle, he is a very valuable to the side according to those that matter. Thats good enough reason for me.

Like it or not we have to make some hard calls and these two guys are not playing anywhere near well enough to hold down a spot. It's not about scapegoating as it is having a good problem of players fighting for their spots and it doesn't matter who you are, you need to be on top of your game.
Yes we must make changes as we are playing so badly.

I know how you love a good stouche Ernie:D

If you are going to talk crap then maybe you deserve it?

The Doctor
27-04-2008, 07:12 PM

This is starting to look like Big Footy. Get rid of them.

Bulldog Revolution
27-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know if all three of Ray, Everitt and Williams played VFL today for Willy? Did Williams play last week - I wasn't sure he'd even played a game yet.

From my perspective it's a rare, and great problem to have where you have enough good players fit to be forced drop senior players to squeeze others in.

I would have thought all three will need a bit of time to develop the needed fitness and strength to play senior football.

If they do get up and firing then it will put pressure on for guys to retain their spots, but only then.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Intersting that when you add goals (9) and assists (14) he is the most important player in terms of goals. Acker is closest with 14 goals and 8 assists as far as i can see

GVGjr
27-04-2008, 09:24 PM

WB age, there is no need to resort to this type of insult. Debate the point of view but leave out comments like moron and wanker as they are not needed.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes, I'm disputing it. The performances and statistics say the opposite. Whilst he may not have been in Brownlow form, he is miles away from being dropped. It was only a couple of months ago he was going to be out for the season.

Despite what you or I think of Eagle, he is a very valuable to the side according to those that matter. Thats good enough reason for me.

Yes we must make changes as we are playing so badly.

If you are going to talk crap then maybe you deserve it?

Chill out dude....;)

I'm not sure where I said we must make changes, my topic revolved around a hypothetical of who will make way if those 3 players were in great form at Willy. I made that comment in reference to our players needing to keep up their good form with a host of players breathing down their neck, a very very big positive. Nothing better than players fighting for their spots and not getting complacent.

As it stands, obviously while we are winning there is no need to change anything, but in the next few weeks, things can change.

My opinion, excuse me for having one, is that Gia is a touch slow and is very inconsistant. Whilst I knw what he is capable of, he needs to contribute more and show better intensity.

Eagle is a shadow of his former self. Not too many strings to his bow, if his run and carry is letting him down, he hasn't got much more to offer. I'm sure he's considered important when he is on song, right now I don't think he is.

craigsahibee
27-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I think Callan Ward is ahead of all of them at the moment. Has already kicked three today for Williamstown.

Interesting that Jarryd Grant has kicked four too. Peter Street is also tearing North Ballarat apart.

Ray is going ok but havent heard anything of Williams or Everitt on the radio call.

These guys will have to earn their places.
Exactly right. These guys have to earn their places. We can't start dropping guys until those playing at Williamstown have done enough to earn a spot.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 10:08 PM
This is starting to look like Big Footy. Get rid of them.

Excuse me I was defending myself and I believe I was misunderstood by my antagonist, why get rid of me? I believe I adhere to the rules outlined by the Woof mods?

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 10:12 PM
One stat...assists

Giansiracusa, Daniel 14
Cooney, Adam 11
Murphy, Robert 10
Akermanis, Jason 8
Cross, Daniel 8
Johnson, Brad 8

May not be kicking goals but setting them up IMO is more valuable.

Assists also don't get recognized as much as goals.

Yeah that's an interesting number. Maybe he has changed his game somewhat from the role I remember.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah that's an interesting number. Maybe he has changed his game somewhat from the role I remember.

Has always been a assist leader when playing half decent footy. Was leading the comp almost one year i think.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Fair enough but we have high expectations of him also considering he is in the leadership group. I would be interested to see his contested possession count against the rest of the team, his clanger count and his tackle count.

What a load of crap!

Higher expectations? WTF? You drop him not because he's worse than those at Willi but because he's not playing as well as you want him to? If Cooney only gets 20 touches next week does he get the chop as well for not meeting expectations?

Gia gets a game because he's better than those playing for Willi.

Ray will come back in for Hill.

Williams is fighting with Wight for a spot and will come in when his form demands it.

Everitt was playing crap footy before he got hurt and probably wouldn't have been in the side round 1 anyway. He's a fair way back and will need a few decent games in a row.

Gia's spot is safe.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 10:40 PM
What a load of crap!

Higher expectations? WTF? You drop him not because he's worse than those at Willi but because he's not playing as well as you want him to? If Cooney only gets 20 touches next week does he get the chop as well for not meeting expectations?

Gia gets a game because he's better than those playing for Willi.

Ray will come back in for Hill.

Williams is fighting with Wight for a spot and will come in when his form demands it.

Everitt was playing crap footy before he got hurt and probably wouldn't have been in the side round 1 anyway. He's a fair way back and will need a few decent games in a row.

Gia's spot is safe.

Now now don't go giving yourself a hernia SS. IMO Gia is not up to scratch and I'm not the only one sitting in the members who have had enough of him. Don't drop him full time, just give him something to think about ala Bowden at Coburg.

Topdog
27-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Ranked 5th on average. To me this means he is the 5th best midfielder in the team, sounds about right after Cross, Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, West (who else there to really compete against in the midfield?) 5th highest means he is the least performed midfielder in the team.

Seriously, I am a Guido fan, always has been but he is not a midfielder. He needs to be a creative option in the forward line and kick goals. I would also be interested in how many goals he has kicked this year against his average of the last few years. You have posted a series of numbers up on Guido that I don't feel are all that flattering considering he is classified as a mid now, number of goals, tackles, clanger count and contested possessions would be a much better analysis of how is going.

Why is he suddenly classified as a mid? He is a HFF who rotates through the midfield.

Do you know any of Gia's stats from previous years or are you just guessing?

Anyway to satisfy your interest, Gia has played 131 games and kicked 127 goals in his career. So his 9 from 6 this year is obviously an improvement. Also better than his 22 from 22 last year. His 14 goal assists leads our team.

He had 7 contested possessions yesterday and has 25 for the year. Not sure how that rates overall but I know our 5th most has 35.

Yesterday he had 2 clangers, taking him to 7 for the year and 2nd most for our team. And he has 16 tackles for the year, good for equal 4th for Bulldogs players.

He only has 68% time on ground too. His effiency with the ball can let him down at times and he can't take an overhead mark (something i keep praying Bulldog players would learn) but he is a very far way from being dropped. He would be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

The Coon Dog
27-04-2008, 10:45 PM
One of the reasons I enjoy WOOF so much is that there is a broad depth of knowledge. It just amazes me how much posters on here really do know & I'm always learning.

Another reason is the respect afforded by posters who's opinions may be diametrically opposed on an issue, but they can see past their own viewpoint & acknowledge where someone might be coming from.

Just a bit disappointed to see that some of those standards have slipped in this thread.

Come on guys, you are better than that!

Bumper Bulldogs
27-04-2008, 10:51 PM
G'Day team,

Can't believe what I'm reading from the above.

Lets drop Jonno and give the bloke a rest, he is clearly not 100% and being he has carried us for the last few years it would be good to repay him at the early stage of this year.

I would think that paying the Swans next week and then Freo both on the road it would be good to get him 100% and fit for the second half of the year.

I would love addison released up forward and Everit down back with Gilbee on the wing.
BB.

BulldogBelle
27-04-2008, 10:53 PM
IMO Gia is not up to scratch and I'm not the only one sitting in the members who have had enough of him. Don't drop him full time, just give him something to think about ala Bowden at Coburg.

Gia as TopDog mentioned is usually one of the first ones on the team sheet when selection time comes around - he does all that is requested of him by the coaches and is very highly thought of. The only way Gia will be out of the team is via injury or suspension. He would be one of the very last I would drop from the team.

BulldogBelle
27-04-2008, 10:57 PM
.I would think that paying the Swans next week and then Freo both on the road it would be good to get him 100% and fit for the second half of the year.

Johnno won't be rested this week he will play against the Swans. Then there is the break the week after where he will get his rest. If he is fit I would imagine he would want to play for the Big V. before the Freo game.

Sedat
27-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I am loving Gia's season thus far. With such an appalling pre-season fitness base to work from, he has no right to be performing to the quality level that he is.

His value to the team has already been highlighted earlier in this thread. Suffice to say, he is an incredibly smart footballer who knows how to cut up an opponent that is not completely on their game. I'd put him as high as Aker and Murphy in terms of football nous - he knows how to position himself perfectly in marking contests, he places himself in dangerous positions in our forward line, and he takes the right option 99% of the time. My only query is his obvious lack of pace (no doubt exacerbated by his poor pre-season). I'd like to see him work hard next pre-season to find another gear because he'll need it as the game continues on to warp speed.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 11:34 PM
The obvious ones to go at present are Hill and Addison. Look to the Richmond game to see how they stand up when it counts.

Look at the Adelaide game for Hill as well and you may think differently

bornadog
28-04-2008, 12:09 AM
If you really wanted to drop some one, then why not pick on Griffen. In my opinion he has played two shocking games. He has been tagged two weeks in a row and has hardly touched the ball. Last week he actually didn't touch the ball in the first quarter and ended up with 12 possessions. This week was no better and he managed only 18 disposals, which in normal circumstances is ok, but on a night we thrashed the opposition and had over 100 disposals more than they did, he should have had a bigger share. Personally, I wouldn't drop him, but because the thread is based on who you would drop, then he is a candidate, along with Hill who is still learning the game.

The team is playing well and we don't need to rush any one in unless they are injured.

Sedat
28-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Hill seems to need a bit of coaching. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but in trying to get clear of opponents and make play around the boundary, he just seems to get lost and ends up way off the play.
Hill made some progress yesterday but one habit I'd like to see eradicated out of his play is when he handballs onto a teammate but does not run to protect him with a shepard. I saw 4 missed shepards that placed the handball receiver under unneccesary pressure that a shepard or block by Hill would have easily prevented.

Agree with Bornadog's sentiments about Griffen's last two games - the Campese side step is being obviously telegraphed by Griff every single time and he is ending up getting himself into trouble time and again by repeatedly taking the tackler on (many times unsuccessfully last night). He needs to take the first option more often and use the side step more discerningly.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Just a bit disappointed to see that some of those standards have slipped in this thread.

Come on guys, you are better than that!

My opinion is based on current form as I have seen it as of late. May I state for the record that Gia has always been one of my favourite players and I guess I expect a lot from my favourite players.

He has been way down on form and nobody can dispute that, be it injury or otherwise he is not the Gia we are accustomed to. This thread was a hypothetic based around something that probably won't happen and I wanted to have a level headed discussion about people's thoughts on a possible scenario for our club.

We are faced with something that our club has not had to deal with for a longtime and that is a word called 'depth'. This is a marvellous predicament to be in and I love that our players will have t fight for their spots.

I chose Gia because "I" think he is way down from what I expect from a club champion and if the hypothesis were to eventuate, I would not mind Gia having a spell at Willy to really regain his fitness and get a few 30+ posession games. I also understand that he is a club leader and very well respected so it would probably never happen.

Whilst it isn't broken at the moment and I agree it should be left alone, we have quality in the twos who may demand selection very shortly.

He is equally as likely to make me eat my words and have the match of his life next week, he is that sort of player

Go_Dogs
28-04-2008, 09:39 AM
The thing is, we don't need Gia to get 30+ touches every game, we don't need him winning every contested ball in the midfield. He has a role to play, at the moment he is doing it well and is certainly in no danger of being dropped. Obviously there is still improvement in his game, as their is with everyones, but his form thus far has been very pleasing considering his limited preparation.

Topdog
28-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't say Gia's form has been exceptional. He had a shocker last night. Poor kicking, turnovers. Don't know where the 2 clangers comment came from. He was clearly beaten.
It came from here (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/club/0,26579,19775,00.html)and then select Clangers.....However when I looked at the match report just now it said he had 4. So I will go with the 4 as being correct.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Chill out dude....;)
Always a great start to a discussion. Where did I appear upset and if you are trying to be funny then try again.

My opinion, excuse me for having one, is that Gia is a touch slow and is very inconsistant. Whilst I knw what he is capable of, he needs to contribute more and show better intensity.
Well your opinion is wrong.

Topdog
28-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Gia's role certainly isn't to get 30+ possessions. I'd be surprised if he has done that more than 3 times in his career.

One of his goals yesterday summed up his footy smarts, simply out-positioned his defender gave him the slightest of nudges and snapped truly for a wonderful goal.

bornadog
28-04-2008, 11:50 AM
The thing is, we don't need Gia to get 30+ touches every game, we don't need him winning every contested ball in the midfield. He has a role to play, at the moment he is doing it well and is certainly in no danger of being dropped. Obviously there is still improvement in his game, as their is with everyones, but his form thus far has been very pleasing considering his limited preparation.

Exactly, too many supporters expect every player to get 25 plus possessions before they rate them. That is just impossible.

Dogs 24/7
28-04-2008, 12:08 PM
If you really wanted to drop some one, then why not pick on Griffen. In my opinion he has played two shocking games. He has been tagged two weeks in a row and has hardly touched the ball. Last week he actually didn't touch the ball in the first quarter and ended up with 12 possessions. This week was no better and he managed only 18 disposals, which in normal circumstances is ok, but on a night we thrashed the opposition and had over 100 disposals more than they did, he should have had a bigger share. Personally, I wouldn't drop him, but because the thread is based on who you would drop, then he is a candidate, along with Hill who is still learning the game.

The team is playing well and we don't need to rush any one in unless they are injured.

I have been a bit dsappointed by Griffen but like you I wouldn't consider dropping him. A change of positions might get him winning the ball again. I wonder how he and Cooney will handle the added pressure they will get this week from the Swans?

brilliantgriffen
28-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I would love to see Farren Ray slot into our team somewhere. I thought he was looking fantastic in the NAB cup and was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. I do agree with a previous post in that I do not think Sydney is the best game to build confidence on, but he looked like he had added some serious size (considering the starting point) over the preseason. Nice headache to have!

Ballarat unable to cope with Ray vision
Chris Mitchell | April 28, 2008 12:00am
WILLIAMSTOWN is equal top on the VFL ladder with North Ballarat after a thrilling 17-point win against the previously unbeaten Roosters at Burbank Oval yesterday. Led by a potent forward arsenal and a best afield display by Western Bulldogs' Farren Ray, the Seagulls booted four goals to two in the final term to seal the win.

North Ballarat could not find a consistent avenue to goal, although tiny North Melbourne rookie Cruize Garlett kicked two goals for the Roosters in the last quarter.

In his second game back since he broke his fibula in a NAB Cup game in February, Ray was brilliant across half-back, racking up 16 kicks and 11 handballs.

"He was out for nine weeks so it's a fair stint on the sidelines," Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said.

"He played the majority of the game today so hopefully he doesn't pull up too sore. He was a little bit sore after last week's game, but to have over 20 possessions, he'd be pretty happy with that."

Williamstown had a bevy of goal-scoring options with Bulldogs-listed Wayde Skipper, Callan Ward and Guy O'Keefe all booting three each.

David Stretton had 31 touches, while 18-year-old O'Keefe, pick No. 63 in last year's national draft, was outstanding with 28 disposals.

"For a kid that's in his first year, he (O'Keefe) is going very well," Gotch said.

"I thought a lot of the Bulldogs-listed boys were good, especially Farren. Stephen Tiller was pretty good.

"We were a little bit shaky at the start of the second quarter when they had a bit of a break on us but I thought the boys showed a bit when things were against them."

North Ballarat had its share of stars with midfielder Tom Roach dominant with 17 kicks and four handballs and Gavin Urquhart prominent with 19 kicks and 10 handballs.

Josh Smith had 14 kicks while North Ballarat coach Gerard FitzGerald said he was pleased with Andrew Swallow's 15 touches in the midfield.

"It was certainly the best game that he's played for us and we rated his game very highly," FitzGerald said.

"It was great to see him get the ball and have an impact with his run."

FitzGerald said his side failed to stop the Seagulls' run out of defence but would bounce back after next week's bye.

"We thought during the day the Williamstown backs rebounded very well and we needed to make better use of the ball when we had it in our forward line," he said.

In a blow for the Roosters, Marc Greig was reported for charging Ray after he had marked in the last term.

In yesterday's other game, Werribee had its second win defeating Northern Bullants by 16 points at Princes Park.

James Podsiadly was the star of the show with eight goals as the Tigers held off a last-quarter surge from David Teague's Bullants to win 15.15.(103) to 12.15 (87).

North youngsters Ben Ross and Ben Davies shone for Werribee, while 19-year-old Brent Bransgrove and ruckman Cain Ackland were prominent for the Bullants.

On Saturday, Sandringham thrashed Bendigo by 70 points at Trevor Barker Oval.

bornadog
28-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I have been a bit dsappointed by Griffen but like you I wouldn't consider dropping him. A change of positions might get him winning the ball again. I wonder how he and Cooney will handle the added pressure they will get this week from the Swans?

If you talk to Eade, he is giving Cooney and Griffen every chance to become our future dominant midfielders. This week against the Swans is going to be a big test as they will both be tagged. I would persist with Griffen at this stage in the midfield rotations and learn to break the tag.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Very encouraging from Ray - I wonder if he will be given a few more gallops at VFL level or promoted. I'd be inclined to give him another one and then have him primed for Freo at Subi after the break

1eyedog
28-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Yes very pleasing from Ray. It would be good to see him in our next Melbourne game against North Melbourne.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Very encouraging from Ray - I wonder if he will be given a few more gallops at VFL level or promoted. I'd be inclined to give him another one and then have him primed for Freo at Subi after the break

I'd bring him in for Hill this week.

Hill is starting to flounder a little and Sydney are no team to play when you're about 70kgs.

The VFL is in the middle of a split round, Willi don't have a game next week.

1eyedog
28-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Well your opinion is wrong.

His opinion is wrong only in your opinion:)

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I'd bring him in for Hill this week.

Hill is starting to flounder a little and Sydney are no team to play when you're about 70kgs.

The VFL is in the middle of a split round, Willi don't have a game next week.

I think I'd give Hill the opportunity to show what he can do. I agree that Sydney are very tough and that might be a good experience for Hill as to the next step he needs to take with his footy.

Although if Willi dont have a game next week - then I guess Ray could have a week off and play with Willi during the week off of AFL and then head to WA

I still think I'd be inclined to still leave Ray out, although I am less sure. If I was to take Hill out then I would be keen to promote OKeefe, even if it is against a very tough opposition

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I think I'd give Hill the opportunity to show what he can do. I agree that Sydney are very tough and that might be a good experience for Hill as to the next step he needs to take with his footy.

Although if Willi dont have a game next week - then I guess Ray could have a week off and play with Willi during the week off of AFL and then head to WA

I still think I'd be inclined to still leave Ray out, although I am less sure. If I was to take Hill out then I would be keen to promote OKeefe, even if it is against a very tough opposition

The guts of it is Ray>Hill.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 05:08 PM
His opinion is wrong only in your opinion:)
No its fact. The performances and the statistics prove it.
If Gia its dropped then he is right. Its a long shot at the moment.

GVGjr
28-04-2008, 05:15 PM

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play because there is a chance we could rest Johnson and even West but I would give Ray one more week at Williamstown as well. Bringing him underdone might not be in the best interest of the club especially with a bye looming.

Brett
28-04-2008, 05:28 PM

Agree that O'Keefe might be a chance for promotion. Was an emergency for Saturday nights game, & kicked 3 goals & named best player for Williamstown on the weekend.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Gia's role certainly isn't to get 30+ possessions. I'd be surprised if he has done that more than 3 times in his career.

One of his goals yesterday summed up his footy smarts, simply out-positioned his defender gave him the slightest of nudges and snapped truly for a wonderful goal.

Yep, kicked two in a couple of minutes around that time. He also picked up a kick deep in the pocket earlier in the game, and a less astute player would've tried to kick a very low percentage shot on goal, instead he quickly looked across, saw Shaggy in space 15 metres out in front, and deftly crossed the ball to him. Shaggy missed the resulting sitter of a set shot, but Guido's class in that passage underlined how much he adds to our team.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Gia is one of my top three favourite players at the club, but all these stats people are throwing around are a little bit disingenuous. If we've been watching games in whole, we'll know that Gia has been struggling when the game is there to be won, but has popped up late in quarters or games that are well over to kick two or three goals and bolster the scoreline. His best stats would have been in the Melbourne game and the one on the weekend against the Eagles when he kicked all three of his goals in junk time.

Leaving the stats out of it, however, he still has an important role in really finishing games and quarters off from the bench, and his class and nous are undeniable.

Thinking in the longer term however, he is CLEARLY underdone with his non-existent pre-season, and will only fall further behind as the season goes on, unless he plays himself into fitness (which seems to be what the conditioning team is planning on -- I wonder what his mid-week recovery load looks like). He is one player for whom it would be invaluable to be 100% going into finals, and I'm sure Rocket and the team have a management plan to get him peaking later in the season.