PDA

View Full Version : Addison - the revolution has begun

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 12:55 PM
So by my calculations Dylan Addison qualifies for this years rising star in terms of being under 21 years old at the start of the year, but had played 13 games prior to 2008 making him ineligible for the award by 3 games. 10 is the cutoff.

On Saturday night he won vital one on one duels with Bruan and Kerr, again won crucial contested possessions and free kicks by throwing his body around. Wrestled with Kerr after Kerr put a late shot on him. Kicked a nice goal and tackled as he always does like a kamikaze pilot in what was perhaps his finest performance for the club.

Seems crazy that a week earlier some were thinking he would be dropped. I am well and truly on the bandwagon.

Seems to me he has gained confidence from more midfield opportunities and that having Callan down back has partially created that opportunity for him. Others thoughts?

mighty_west
28-04-2008, 01:38 PM
To think Dylan still has a few years of development left in him, he is going to be a supporters favorite for sure.

What i liked about that wrestle with Kerr, was Kerr went straight into him whilst he was on the ground, therefor Dylan remonstrating, and rightly so, Kerr was on top of him, in no time, Dylan turned the tables, and was on top of Kerr, and held him there, he's a tough little bugger, and bloody strong.

Dylan is also the first person in when someone else is having a wrestle, perhaps his next contract should have a fines clause, for sticking up for his mates, cos i reckon he'll cop quite a few fines along the way, he's a beauty.

His game has come on leaps & bounds, along with Callan, are very important to the structure of the side, i have been crying out for Rocket to introduce a contested & hard style to our fast running game, now we are seeing that, now look at the way we are playing, the pressure we are putting on the opposition has been great, but we still score heavily as well.

He has been good all season so far, his game against Melbourne was awesome, and hasn't looked back.

The likes of Ray, Everitt & Williams are going to have to work their butts off to replace players like Addison & Callan, look at Street, he's been in terrific form at Willy, but would never replace Hudosn or Minson right now.

1eyedog
28-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I love watching his hardness at the ball and Rocket must be just wrapped with him. Not quite getting as much ball as what Jake King does at the Tigers but similar player and team mentality. I love it, think it really imbues the old Bulldog spirit and shows that he really wants to play football for us more than anything. Loved it when he cleaned up Jordy in the air the other week, Addison certainly flies with his elbows out:D

Go_Dogs
28-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, he has been fantastic BR. I too thought the calls to drop him last week were a little premature, he's started the year well and shown solid improvements throughout each match. He'll still be inconsistent from time to time, but the level of performance has improved markedly and he has all but cemented his spot in the starting 22.

hujsh
28-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Made me look stupid when i said he'd miss that goal (seriously he's spayed easier shots):mad:

Other that that he's been great

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Loved it when he cleaned up Jordy in the air the other week, Addison certainly flies with his elbows out:D

I dont know about elbows out but he hit that contest hard with Jordy as he does most contests. He has a real physicality at the contest that we have been lacking, he just gets in there and mixes it up

Mantis
28-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I am a big fan of the way Dylan play's. His no nonsense style is exactly what the team requires. For too long we have had too many 'flashy' types who don't like to get there hands dirty, but now with Dylan and Callan in the team we have a few players who don't mind mixing it up. Yes they lack a bit of polish, but we are never question there desire and commitment to the cause.

On Saturday night's game did anyone catch the commentary from Quartermain when he got stuck into Dylan for having a go at Kerr. Kerr as an elite player should be looked after by the umps as too many players (Dylan etc..) are taking cheapshots. No mention that the dirty litlle rat in Kerr dropped his knees into Dylan who had every right to remonstrate.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I am a big fan of the way Dylan play's. His no nonsense style is exactly what the team requires. For too long we have had too many 'flashy' types who don't like to get there hands dirty, but now with Dylan and Callan in the team we have a few players who don't mind mixing it up. Yes they lack a bit of polish, but we are never question there desire and commitment to the cause.

On Saturday night's game did anyone catch the commentary from Quartermain when he got stuck into Dylan for having a go at Kerr. Kerr as an elite player should be looked after by the umps as too many players (Dylan etc..) are taking cheapshots. No mention that the dirty litlle rat in Kerr dropped his knees into Dylan who had every right to remonstrate.

I was very impressed with how he handled himself in this situation, showed no signs of intimidation, and I think Kerr will know next time that Addison maybe relatively inexperienced, but that is not to be confused with a lack of heart.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I was really impressed by what i saw in Addison in the game against West Coast. I know he's always been hard at the ball, and i've always like that, but what i am impressed with is his much improved disposal of the ball. He used to get himself and others into trouble with his decisions, either shipping it off onto the closest player, or hanging on to it for much too long and getting caught with the ball. On Saturday night he seemed to look for options, and was aware of opposition. It was nice!

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I was very impressed with how he handled himself in this situation, showed no signs of intimidation, and I think Kerr will know next time that Addison maybe relatively inexperienced, but that is not to be confused with a lack of heart.

Dylan flipped him over like he was wrestling his little brother and Mum wasn't around.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:36 PM

How are better players more 'deserving' of protection than other players? It's just ridiculous. There is clearly a case of umpires sucking up to their 'girlfriends' on the park like your Riewoldts and Judds. Is anyone else a fan of umps calling players by their first names? It's such a syndrome of wanting to be liked by the popular kids. It's pathetic.

Mantis
28-04-2008, 09:47 PM
How are better players more 'deserving' of protection than other players? It's just ridiculous. There is clearly a case of umpires sucking up to their 'girlfriends' on the park like your Riewoldts and Judds. Is anyone else a fan of umps calling players by their first names? It's such a syndrome of wanting to be liked by the popular kids. It's pathetic.

I don't know, but Quartermain was carrying on like a pork chop. I do agree that ball players need to be allowed to play the ball and when Kerr wasn't on Saturday and he was restrcited on occassions he received a free, which was fair enough, but if he is going to run around giving cheap shots then he deserves no help from the men in white or yellow or green, you get the drift.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't know, but Quartermain was carrying on like a pork chop. I do agree that ball players need to be allowed to play the ball and when Kerr wasn't on Saturday and he was restrcited on occassions he received a free, which was fair enough, but if he is going to run around giving cheap shots then he deserves no help from the men in white or yellow or green, you get the drift.

Quarterbrain is an absolute fool. All night he went on & on about Kerr being given 'unfair' treatment yet a number of times, Kerr was the player in who begun proceedings ala the Addison incident. Annoyed me to no end, he'd bring the subject up at every opportunity - even after the damn game.

I can't stand Quarterbrain, his commentary is crap & he's obsessed with the likes of Kerr & Judd. I can't stand listening to him.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Addison has been pretty good this season. I thought he started his career off OK, and looked a player, even in the VFL where he'd take them on with strength & pace. For some reason he seemed to stagnate for a while and questions were being asked - rightfully so. This year though he's responded really well and certainly deserves his spot in the side.

His skills are good, it's his decision making that lets him down. That's improved over the course of the year though which has been very pleasing. Still lacks a little awareness at times but he's slowly getting better. Obviously needs a bigger fitness base because he runs out of petrol tickets a little too early most weeks, but he's a player of the future if the club can help him continue to improve.

He's got all the attributes to be a solid footballer that will compliment the likes of Cooney, Griffen, Ray & Higgins. Just needs to keep focused and keep striving, he should be proud of his efforts thus far, he's played well & his game on the weekend was really impressive. The ability to win a one-on-one contest is a good trait of his and of course his tackling is probably the best in the squad.

Mantis
28-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Quarterbrain is an absolute fool. All night he went on & on about Kerr being given 'unfair' treatment yet a number of times, Kerr was the player in who begun proceedings ala the Addison incident. Annoyed me to end, he'd bring the subject up at every opportunity - even after the damn game.

I can't stand Quarterbrain, his commentary is crap & he's obsessed with the likes of Kerr & Judd. I can't stand listening to him.

I walked past him in the stair well on Saturday night... Should have pushed him down the stairs..

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I walked past him in the stair well on Saturday night... Should have pushed him down the stairs..

At least you know for next time.

craigsahibee
28-04-2008, 10:26 PM
If we all worried about what Steve Quartermain thought or said we would be doomed. It could be worse, we could have Michael Christian on air instead

Mantis
28-04-2008, 10:29 PM
The thing I find funny about Dylan is the pronounced effort to free his arms when he is about to be tackled...It's really quite amusing.

I think the general consensus from most reasoned supporters is that Dylan is going to make mistakes and they will probably hurt us at times, but we know that when a hard ball is to be won or a big tackle needs to be layed Dylan will be the player to provide it or atleast trying to provide it. I know I can live with mistakes if a player is willing to do the unselfish things that need to be done.

I am pretty confident that when players come back into the team (Ray, Everitt) that Dylan's head wont be on the chopping block.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I am pretty confident that when players come back into the team (Ray, Everitt) that Dylan's head wont be on the chopping block.
Don't have to be FDOTM to work out whose head it will be either!! :D

Mantis
28-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't have to be FDOTM to work out whose head it will be either!! :D

He certainly didn't help his chances on Saturday night.

I have never seen a player ever at every rucking duel run as far forward of the ball as he did on Saturday night... You would like to think that occassionally an experienced player might try and lay a block for a team-mate.

aker39
29-04-2008, 10:04 AM

I caught the lift with Christie Malthouse... Should have ????

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Any chance Addison will get a Rising Star Nomination? Once we get over the cream of the crop I think he is worthy?

The Coon Dog
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Any chance Addison will get a Rising Star Nomination? Once we get over the cream of the crop I think he is worthy?

No, he's played 19 games which means he'd played 13 prior to this season. The cut off is 10 games or less.

ledge
01-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Addison and Callan are 2 players that have surprised all of us i think, and the good thing is i can still see them improving, lets not underestimate Callan he has come into a new team, different game plan and stepped up a grade, remember he was only playing VFL most of the time last year.
Addison isnt he a goer too, love his attack on the player and the ball.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I doubt Callan will be in the team come finals time (if we make it), he will be a 'back up' player.

wimberga
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
What exactly are you basing that on Jerry?

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
What exactly are you basing that on Jerry?

He read it on BigFooty.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Think he is a tad slow and his kicking isnt great. Only one of Addison/Callan will be in the full strength team, and i think it will be Addison.

G-Mo77
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Think he is a tad slow and his kicking isnt great. Only one of Addison/Callan will be in the full strength team, and i think it will be Addison.

Why? Apparently their skills aren't to good, last I checked Morris' and Hahn's disposable can be poor but they are in the side for a reason and have a big role in this team. Addison and Callan have proven to me they have earnt their spot I love the way both play the game hard and honest! There is no reason why they can't stay in there IMO. If another player wants to get back into the Senior squad (Everitt, Williams, Higgins etc) they are going to have to work their arse's off. No walk in's to this side at all anymore!

But that is a perfect problem to have

The Underdog
01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I doubt Callan will be in the team come finals time (if we make it), he will be a 'back up' player.

I'm not in total disagreeance here. I've liked most of Callan's work so far, but I'm still not sure he's in our best 22. The first WCE goal the other night when he should have marked easily or at least rushed a behind but went under the ball and in the end didn't even contest with Wirrpanda, his opponent. It's this type of occasional lapse that keeps my nagging doubts there. In fairness though he's earned his spot so far, so hopefully he can continue to improve as the season goes on. There's definitely a spot for him to do the job on small forwards if he can.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I must say that we do look a different side with the attack on the ball with Boyd, Hahn, Addison & Callan. it must be like Xmas for rocket to have a few hard nuts to throw around.

by years end who knows they may all improve yet again and be the back bone of the side.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm not in total disagreeance here. I've liked most of Callan's work so far, but I'm still not sure he's in our best 22. The first WCE goal the other night when he should have marked easily or at least rushed a behind but went under the ball and in the end didn't even contest with Wirrpanda, his opponent. It's this type of occasional lapse that keeps my nagging doubts there. In fairness though he's earned his spot so far, so hopefully he can continue to improve as the season goes on. There's definitely a spot for him to do the job on small forwards if he can.

Pretty much sums it up well.

The thing Callan has going for him, regardless of his ability to play the game, is that we don't have too many options for the backline as far as small-medium defenders are concerned. Pushing Griffen up to the middle and trading McMahon has meant that as long as he's doing OK, he's going to get a game most weeks. Obviously his aggression and courage is fantastic, and to his credit he makes space and tends to find the ball a bit, but his disposal is ordinary & regularly miss reads the flight of the ball IE. the Wirrapanda situation. A few times he's been lucky not to give away a free kick by jumping into his opponents back, as the ball came in too long, yet he's still jumped and fallen sqaure into his opponents back. Seems to have gotten away with this a few times and pinned on others. Either way, it worries me - this and his disposal is what keeps him from being a really good pick-up. To be fair, he's doing OK at the moment and has earnt his spot. Hopefully he continues to improve and can polish up on a few of his regular mistakes, but I too have doubts on whether he's truly in our best 22.

I must admit though, Callan is playing much better than he was in the pre-season.

GVGjr
01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I must say that we do look a different side with the attack on the ball with Boyd, Hahn, Addison & Callan. it must be like Xmas for rocket to have a few hard nuts to throw around.

by years end who knows they may all improve yet again and be the back bone of the side.

Very fair point. I think most coaches appreciate a few tough nuts that will do some of the grunt work and throw themselves around.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I think he run and carry is good. Clearly he is better by hand than foot but the side will pick up on this and run with him to do the finishing work ie Gilbee's goal on the weekend. I don't think at his age the kicking will improve more than 10/20% but I take that over Jordy any day.

gohardorgohome
02-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I am very impressed with Addison,Callan and Wight. The was no way I would have had them in the top 22 seven weeks ago. If they consistantly play as well as they have for the last 2 weeks then they should keep there spot.

To me Addisons Tackling is a real highlight. I think he may have played one of the rugby codes. I think his skills seems to have improved.

The real test will be how they perform against Geelong Hawthorn and Sydney. Let hope they keep it up.

Farren Ray was very good in the pre season game against North. I hope he can regain that form.

Pressure to obtain and keep a spot is a great thing to see. The only bad thing could be if someone takes out a teammate by going too hard to impress in competitive drills at training.

1eyedog
02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I tend to think that Callan may not have a spot when other 'preferred players' are fit and ready. I think it is erroneous to think that because Callan is going ok that he will be picked each week. I still believe three players (Williams, Ray and Everitt) should come into this team at some stage. Callan goes hard because he knows he is living on borrowed time and that;s all he really has, he lacks skills and decision making and he is looking ok atm because he is playing in a winning team. If you contest this if Williams, Ray and Everitt are all pushing for selection with excellent form for Willi who do you drop to bring them in? I feel Callan will be the scapegoat.

LostDoggy
03-05-2008, 01:15 AM

It's pleasing to see you add some detail instead of just the normal throw away one liners.

Callan was always going to be a depth player and if we had a full list then he would miss out. Addison has come along nicely and just needs to fix up his kicking skills.

westdog54
03-05-2008, 03:04 AM

In all honesty he's a back-up player at the moment. I wouldn't consider him in our best 22, and yes, his disposal leaves a little to be desired, but at the moment he is in form that warrants a spot in the side, and that's good enough for me.

If we still have injury concerns come finals time there's no reason he won't play.

Raw Toast
03-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Personally I think the value of Callan (and possible Addison) might be greater in the finals. Callan has had a number of truly inspirational moments that lift the whole team, and finals football tends to be more physical.

Given Callan's preseason matches, I'm rapt by what he's shown so far. He's got some clear weaknesses with his disposal and seems to misread the flight of the ball early in games, but he's actually had the better of a host of small, quick, clever types who tend to destroy us. I had great doubts he could make it in the backline, and have been nervous most weeks with his match-ups, but really pleased with his results.

His decision-making has also improved as he's settled into the side. He's run the ball a bit and been ok, and has tended to spot up his targets kicking to safe-ish places, generally up the wings. I don't think he'll ever be a playmaker, or overly damaging by hand or foot, but he's helped our defense out no end so far.

Re Addison - clearly his decision-making still needs some work, but I have some hope it might. In the past he's tried to do a bit much and get away with things he can in the reserves, but he's starting to show he can pick and choose his moments a bit more. His courage is great, and he also has the hardness which we need if we're to challenge for a flag. He does, however, need to keep improving his decision-making to stay in the team if our list gets healthier.

mjp
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I still believe three players (Williams, Ray and Everitt) should come into this team at some stage.

No love for Higgins 1eye? Just remind all your non-Doggies mates, we have 4 first round draft picks out injured at the moment!

Callan and Addison are both doing a good job at the moment. I love the way that they attack the ball and the opposition. I think they both have reasonable skills - but I also believe they are prone to making the occasional bonehead decision that costs us possession and goals...

ledge
03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Poor Higgins he has had the longest week on record, 4 weeks ago he was out for 12-14 weeks i looked the other day and he is still out for 12-14 weeks!

LostDoggy
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Poor Higgins he has had the longest week on record, 4 weeks ago he was out for 12-14 weeks i looked the other day and he is still out for 12-14 weeks!

Who pays any mind to what is reported about injuries to the Bulldogs players ? It's never accurate and Higgins was on the radio heaps last weekend talking about when he thinks he will be back. I must have heard him interviewed 5 times.

Back to Addison, does anyone think he could eventually play as a forward or has he been type cast as a defender and midfielder ?

Go_Dogs
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Who pays any mind to what is reported about injuries to the Bulldogs players ? It's never accurate and Higgins was on the radio heaps last weekend talking about when he thinks he will be back. I must have heard him interviewed 5 times.

Back to Addison, does anyone think he could eventually play as a forward or has he been type cast as a defender and midfielder ?

I think eventually you will be able to see him play anywhere, much like Cooney, Griffen, and to a certain extent, Ray (who I think could also be useful up forward or down back).

At the moment his best run in as a mid or defender as he can be led to the ball and doesn't have to worry so much about flair and creativity, he can get the job done and play his role. Due to his fine tackling skills though, I think he'd be a real asset at ground level in the forward line. He's also pretty fearless and not bad overhead for mine, so probably has some good assets for playing in the forward line.

At the moment there is no real need for him to go in though, so will probably remain playing defender/midfielder for the course of the year I'd say.

Mofra
04-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I see him as midfielder long term, maybe a little more run-with in a Boyd type role, he wont be purely lock down because when he chooses to use it his run & carry is quite good. He could easily become a goal per game type midfielder however take one of the better opposition playmakers.

The Underdog
04-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I see him as midfielder long term, maybe a little more run-with in a Boyd type role, he wont be purely lock down because when he chooses to use it his run & carry is quite good. He could easily become a goal per game type midfielder however take one of the better opposition playmakers.

I agree although he could quite easily be a behind per game mid unless his kicking improves. He's still developing and should be a pretty solid player ideal for a run with role. Can't see him as a forward. seems an ideal mid/hbf.

bornadog
04-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Addison tackles a career in the AFL
Emma Quayle | May 4, 2008

ON THE day he made his debut with the Western Bulldogs, Dylan Addison found himself the centre of attention. About an hour before the Bulldogs were to take on Adelaide late in 2006, Brad Johnson grabbed the 18-year-old out on the MCG, after the team had finished its warm-up. With the rest of his new teammates hovering, a wide-eyed Addison was handed his first red, white and blue guernsey. Johnson's emotional induction, captured on television cameras, needed every third word to be beeped out.

"It was a … colourful … speech he made," Addison said this week. "I was just standing there looking back at him. I was a bit taken aback, but it was such a great experience. It made it feel like a really big moment in my life."

Almost a year earlier, Addison had felt equally unsure when the Bulldogs interviewed him during the 2005 draft camp in Canberra. The teenager had spoken to a few clubs before heading to Canberra, but those interviews had all been relaxed.

"I gave him a really hard time," recalled Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton, who had long been taken by Addison's versatility, ruggedness and stoppage skills, but wanted to see him handle a different sort of pressure.

"We interviewed him twice and I smashed him the first time, just to see how he'd go, thinking on his feet. I really put him under pressure and tried to intimidate him. I wanted to see what he had, but I don't really think he was ready for it."

Addison can remember "sitting there, freezing up", and walking out convinced that he wouldn't be playing for an AFL team any time soon. The Bulldogs had been the only club to talk to him at the camp.

"I walked out and I thought, 'Well, there's no way I'm going to end up there'. I just got hammered," he said. "He (Clayton) was asking all these philosophical sort of questions, talking about being confident and phrasing his questions in strange ways.

"I sat there a lot of the time not knowing what to say. There were a lot of awkward silences and as I left I thought, 'Well, that's that then; looks like I'll be going to uni in Sydney next year'."

Addison will be back in his home city today, as a 20-game Western Bulldogs player. A subsequent meeting with the club was "a lot less like torture" and the Bulldogs liked the Sydneysider enough to draft him with a second-round pick. While Addison's grandfather grew up in Richmond, he shifted to Sydney after joining the army as a teenager. Addison's father, John, only started playing football in his mid-20s, for the Bankstown Bombers, which was where Dylan started out before moving to St George and the NSW under-age programs.

Having played soccer as a kid, he switched to Australian football because there was an oval just down the road and because he liked the fact that the indigenous code was a "360-degree" game that demanded so many different skills, and courage, and there always seemed to be something happening.

He spent alternate weekends at the SCG, watching the Swans and becoming a fan of the dogged Paul Kelly. Just a few months before the Bulldogs drafted him, Addison sat on his loungeroom couch and saw Sydney pinch the 2005 premiership. Less than a year after that, he was on the MCG, hearing his captain utter "colourful" phrases.

For Addison, moving to Melbourne was a different experience to what most interstate draftees encounter. The city felt smaller than what he was used to, but it was more focused on football. To his teammates, he is quiet, but dry, and with talents outside football. Addison took up music at school, took a liking to guitar and still has a knack for picking songs up by ear.

"It's my way to relax and to get to know everyone a bit," he said. "It's pretty handy at the end of the season, when everybody wants to come around for a few drinks and relax and have a bit of a singalong. I just like to sit there, trying to pick up the beats."

It's something he's trying to do on the ground, too. There are 18 action photos of Addison in The Age archives, and in all but three of them, he is tackling someone, spoiling someone, trying to tackle or spoil, or being pummelled in the attempt. It says a lot about how he has made his initial impression, and that's how he plans to continue making his way.

"I've never really minded the physical contact," said Addison, the Bulldogs' sixth-best tackler this year. "I don't go out there with the intention to smash everyone, but it's a part of the game I've never really hated.

"I always like to get the ball as well and that's probably the next step for me. I'm starting to grow some confidence to run and receive as well.

"We had a really physical pre-season and I think that gave me a lot of encouragement, like it did for all of us. I still have to keep it at a high level and keep getting better, but we made a big thing and it gave me some real focus."

Having played soccer as a kid, he switched to Australian football because there was an oval just down the road and because he liked the fact that the indigenous code was a "360-degree" game that demanded so many different skills, and courage, and there always seemed to be something happening.

He spent alternate weekends at the SCG, watching the Swans and becoming a fan of the dogged Paul Kelly. Just a few months before the Bulldogs drafted him, Addison sat on his loungeroom couch and saw Sydney pinch the 2005 premiership. Less than a year after that, he was on the MCG, hearing his captain utter "colourful" phrases.

For Addison, moving to Melbourne was a different experience to what most interstate draftees encounter. The city felt smaller than what he was used to, but it was more focused on football. To his teammates, he is quiet, but dry, and with talents outside football. Addison took up music at school, took a liking to guitar and still has a knack for picking songs up by ear.

"It's my way to relax and to get to know everyone a bit," he said. "It's pretty handy at the end of the season, when everybody wants to come around for a few drinks and relax and have a bit of a singalong. I just like to sit there, trying to pick up the beats."

It's something he's trying to do on the ground, too. There are 18 action photos of Addison in The Age archives, and in all but three of them, he is tackling someone, spoiling someone, trying to tackle or spoil, or being pummelled in the attempt. It says a lot about how he has made his initial impression, and that's how he plans to continue making his way.

"I've never really minded the physical contact," said Addison, the Bulldogs' sixth-best tackler this year. "I don't go out there with the intention to smash everyone, but it's a part of the game I've never really hated.

"I always like to get the ball as well and that's probably the next step for me. I'm starting to grow some confidence to run and receive as well.

"We had a really physical pre-season and I think that gave me a lot of encouragement, like it did for all of us. I still have to keep it at a high level and keep getting better, but we made a big thing and it gave me some real focus."

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Nice article.. Young Dylan seems a bit more articulate than I would've given him credit for seeing his bash and crash mentality on the field.
He's definitely stepped up a gear so far this year... and as long as he keeps working hard at his skills I think we can expect to see quite a bit of Dylan over the next several years.
Seems to fit the Eade mould of a player who has the type of body shape and physical attributes to fill a number of roles. I will be watching his development with interest.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Good article, thanks for that.