PDA

View Full Version : Voss & Blight

The Coon Dog
28-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Anyone who watched the game on TV on Saturday night, or a replay since, just curious to know what you thought of the 2 special comments experts in Michael Voss & Malcolm Blight?

I reckon they were appalling, lacked cohesion & the amount of 'dead air' when one refused the answer the other must have had Channel 10 execs cringing. I felt embarrassed for the 2 of them & hope they are never paired together again.

For a bloke who seems to have alot to say Voss doesn't really say too much.

Voss also said he watched the Danial Kerr/Scott West incident & there was nothing in it!! I think he felt as silly as he sounded when they showed the replay.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Normally I enjoy Blight, he has a different take on things to the normal sensationalists, sure he's added a bit of that to his game to keep the Ten executives happy but he often provides some interesting analysis into players and the game in general. I haven't enjoyed Voss as a commentator yet.

On Saturday it was left to quarters to say that Wight was growing as a player. Addison got no attention in what was perhaps his finest game. So I didn't think Blight and Voss added much, although Blight did talk about the Eagles young forwards, perhaps they were pitching the coverage to the fans back in WA.

Are there particular incidents you are specifically referring to TCD?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Anyone who watched the game on TV on Saturday night, or a replay since, just curious to know what you thought of the 2 special comments experts in Michael Voss & Malcolm Blight?

I reckon they were appalling, lacked cohesion & the amount of 'dead air' when one refused the answer the other must have had Channel 10 execs cringing. I felt embarrassed for the 2 of them & hope they are never paired together again.

Voss also said he watched the Danial Kerr/Scott West incident & there was nothing in it!! I think he felt as silly as he sounded when they showed the replay.

It was woeful, and add to that the pathetic Steve Quarterbrain.....
They all seemed much more inclined to spend the game debating whether the loss of Judd-Cousins amounted to such a turnaround between the scores in this game compare to the same game last year, as opposed to spending alot of time commenting on just how much the Dogs have improved.
Any praise for the Dogs seemed to be an afterthought to an extended commentary on how far the Eagles had fallen.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Are there particular incidents you are specifically referring to TCD?
No, I've managed to endure through the first half (unfortunately I wasn't at the game Sat night as just as we were getting ready to leave The Coon Pup fell off his skateboard & broke his arm & he only got out of hospital this afternoon, thanks to FDOTM & The Dogs Bollocks for score updates) & find they have added absolutely nothing to the game whatsoever. They don't seem to gel, no idea why you need 2 of them anyway.

GVGjr
28-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I know there is plenty of media mileage and goodwill in adding Voss as the coach of the new Gold Coast team but I seriously wouldn't risk it. He needs to serve an apprenticeship but he is taking the easy road.

I would look at getting someone established like Grant Thomas up there for the first three seasons to really set them up.

Voss doesn't impress me but I normally don't mind Blight.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 07:33 PM
That was by far the worst commentary on an AFL match I have seen in years. I can not think of more than three positive comments about the Dogs for the entire night, there were more positive comments about West Coast than us even though we won by sixty points. Voss just made himself look like an idiot for most of the night, with all of his stupid comments. I wish for once the commentators would make neutral comments like they are supposed to. The thing I hate most about missing matches is that I have to listen to the commentary of these idiots.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I know there is plenty of media mileage and goodwill in adding Voss as the coach of the new Gold Coast team but I seriously wouldn't risk it. He needs to serve an apprenticeship but he is taking the easy road.

I would look at getting someone established like Grant Thomas up there for the first three seasons to really set them up.

Voss doesn't impress me but I normally don't mind Blight.

I'm with you on the need for Voss to get some assistant coaching experience, heck even a senior role at a VFL or similar.
Personally I think someone like Sheedy would be a great asset for the Coast, or West Sydney. He is a great salesman and spruiker for the game.
I have a personal dislike for GT, but apart from that I just don't think he has the personality required to succeed in a new team. Especially these 2 new teams. They really need not only a highly credentialed coach but someone who can be a public relations man, especially in the first few seasons.
Neale Daniher would be my choice for the West Sydney gig, based on this criteria.

whythelongface
28-04-2008, 07:45 PM
They all seemed much more inclined to spend the game debating whether the loss of Judd-Cousins amounted to such a turnaround between the scores in this game compare to the same game last year, as opposed to spending alot of time commenting on just how much the Dogs have improved.
Any praise for the Dogs seemed to be an afterthought to an extended commentary on how far the Eagles had fallen.

Totally agree YHF - the media still doesn't seem to rate us. It was the same in the Essendon game - the commentators, Mcaveney and co. were continually going on about how exciting the Bombers were - even when the dogs dominated the last quarter. Whilst the team have only played two, maybe three finals contenders it would be nice for some sections of the media to recognise the fact that we do have a decent football team.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 08:36 PM

I agree also. The commentating spoiled the replay for me. When Cross took that fantastic mark in the last quarter all they kept prattling on about were West Coast - barely acknowledged the state of play.

At one point Hudson did try and get the "team" to talk about the Bulldogs but to no avail. Also Voss chimed in at some stage without his microphone switched on. Hopeless.

One of the worst commentating efforts ever, and there is some stiff competition out there. Does anyone call the play anymore, or is it all just about personal past glories, personal interests and personal opinions?

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Agreed - I would have thought Voss would make a fabulous assistant coach, but his media work has suggested there are a few chinks in his armour and I wont be surprised to see him implode if he does go straight into the head role.

I dont think anybody should be walking into a senior coaching role. Every coach in the league bar Malthouse, Roos, Craig and Knights was an assistant coach at a different club that they are now head coach at. Voss just has so little experience apart from the Brisbane Lions.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I prefer a bit of dead air than over analysis. Voss does this all the time. The pictures tell the words and the commentators should just be adding to it ala Richie Benaud style.
Why the need for 2 commentators and 2 special comments people every game is beyond me.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Voss struggles, really doesn't add anything interesting to the commentary at all. Only time Voss ever speaks is when he's asked about coaching. Appears to think as though he's got it all but from what I've seen, he's got zilch.

IMO he'd fail miserably if he took on the Gold Coast job before doing an apprenticeship elsewhere. His ego is the only thing keeping him interested at this stage.

As for Blight he was ordinary but he feeds off better commentators ala Anthony Hudson. As a poster above explained, Blight often gives a different perspective of the game and has some intelligent & left field advice for players. Lot of the time, he makes valid points, even if the commentators sometimes make a mockery of them.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 10:57 PM
The commentary was absolutely disgusting on Saturday night. When i realised they weren't going to say one positive thing about the Bulldogs all night, I muted. Silence was golden!

I actually like Buckley with special comments on Bulldogs games, i've noticed he actually makes a few valid points in relation to the Dogs.

As for Voss..... I'm not watching to hear about his glory days for the whole night :p

Big Dog
29-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Seems that Voss and Blight were ensuring that they didnt say anything to untoward the Eagles players. The coverage was focused on the attention that Kerr was recieving from Boyd (holding etc) and not at any one time did they criticise Kerr for headbutting or Staker for striking (maybe they should have gone to a live cross to the Staker household considering his family were so vocal several weeks ago when he got struck by Hall!)..........The coverage was 100% pro Eagles which is what you would have to expect considering the audience.

aker39
29-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Hope the Coon Pup is OK, TCD.

I was actually more pissed off with Quartermain than Voss and Blight.

He continually went on about the treatment that Kerr was getting. I actually found it quite amusing when he was going on about Kerr being harassed and the camera's then show him on top of DFA.

Kerr got 5 free kicks, so the umpires were clearly aware of anything happening and paid him frees when necessary.

BulldogBelle
29-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I found the bias of Voss and Quartermain very annoying too. Continual bleating about protecting players like Kerr from vicious jumper tugging and so on. Yet they [well commentators generally] applaud shirtfronts on guys who aren't in play and sledging.

My best wishes to the pup for a speedy recovery TCD - been there as a parent mate!

Go_Dogs
29-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I actually like Buckley with special comments on Bulldogs games, i've noticed he actually makes a few valid points in relation to the Dogs.

Haven't heard the commentary from the other night, but from all reports I have read it was pretty disappointing.

Agree with this comment about Bucks - he's been very insightful I've found, enjoy listening to him.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks A39 & F32. Finally got home yesterday at about 5pm. 48 hours in hospital for a broken arm!!!! He's fine, understands that there are people worse off than him.

ledge
29-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks A39 & F32. Finally got home yesterday at about 5pm. 48 hours in hospital for a broken arm!!!! He's fine, understands that there are people worse off than him.

Ouch! Were you at the Western General?
You know what happens now, he will want his plaster signed by all the doggies players.
Tell him at least he has about 3 weeks before next home game.
Hope it wasnt too bad and heals quickly.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2008, 11:40 AM

I remember an old school friend of mine fell off his skateboard and broke both arms simultaneously putting them both out to break his fall, was quite a sight seeing him trek around school with both arms in full casts, haha.

Seems like an excessively long time to be in hospital for a broken arm though, must have been a reasonable break.

The Underdog
29-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I've watched 3/4 back and I just don't rate Voss at all. To use an old James Brown line he's "talking loud, but saying nothing". His continual harping about Kerr was tres annoying and he really adds little insight at any point. I'd love to see him get a coaching gig to get him off TV, but I think he'd set the GC club back years if he gets the senior gig straight up.
I echo YHF's thoughts about Daniher for West Sydney, but think he'd be a good fit for GC too although he's not a very "sexy" choice marketing wise. As for Blight, look, he's going to vary from good to bizarre but I usually find him an entertaining counterpoint to the standard stuff, he just sometimes goes a little too far left field.
I agree that our performance was basically ignored for talk about WCE and we definitely are being overlooked for the most part.

Hope the Coon Pup is feeling ok.

GVGjr
29-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if anyone saw footy confidential last night but I thought it was a bit rich coming from Garry Lyon saying that Voss needs to commit himself if his hat is actually in the ring for a coaching position or not. Lyon used to whet the media's appetite all the time about his potential coaching ambitions just to keep his name in the spotlight.
I suppose the old adage of needing to be a thief to catch a thief is very true.

aker39
29-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I was at a conference where Voss was a guest speaker, and he did not impress me one little bit.

Bulldog Revolution
29-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure if anyone saw footy confidential last night but I thought it was a bit rich coming from Garry Lyon saying that Voss needs to commit himself if his hat is actually in the ring for a coaching position or not. Lyon used to whet the media's appetite all the time about his potential coaching ambitions just to keep his name in the spotlight.
I suppose the old adage of needing to be a thief to catch a thief is very true.

I thought it was incredible coming from Garry, someone that has loved having his ego stroked for many years.

And really what Voss has said is simple, as much as they need to find out whether he is the right person for them he needs to find out whether the Gold Coast club is the right situation for him. And that could be whether they are prepared to give him as much $ as he wants and as many years as he wants on his contract. Its the normal process anybody goes through when they apply for a job and a compnay goes through when looking to hire.

TCD forgot to say hope your boy is A-OK

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Glad the young Coon Pup is OK TCD. Maybe he can get some of the Dogs to sign his cast?

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Michael Voss is surely the emperor with no clothes. His inane, repetitive drivel- added to his stunned mullet and ill-prepared appearances in front of the statistical wide screen are down right embarrassing!!(And he knows it....) Blight reminds me of an alcohohic thespian casually reviewing a Shakespeare season he might of appeared in... 60% insightful- the rest utter self-indulgent glory days banality...

hujsh
29-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Saw a bit of the commentary today. No comments about the game at all in late 3rd quarter mid 4th quarter.

Minson did an awesome tap behind to a running player and didn't get a mention.

Talking about BOG in the last. Said Cooney was just ahead of Cross but no mention of Murph. Walking out the ground i could tell Murph was BOG, more than half would have Murph top 2 in our votes, but he's not even worth a mention by 2 special comments men and a commentator who forgot to commentate.

Bulldog Revolution
29-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Blight reminds me of an alcohohic thespian casually reviewing a Shakespeare season he might of appeared in... 60% insightful- the rest utter self-indulgent glory days banality...

Timbo - good to have you on board, you haven't made many posts yet but that one is utter gold

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Good luck to the young Pup. hope he is back on the board in no time.

I couldn't believe the fact that they where making so much of an issue of the Boyd tagging role. Boyd was fantastic and I'm sure that all players in the AFL would perfer Boyd ahead of Josh Carr, Baker ect.

alwaysadog
29-04-2008, 10:41 PM

I was hoping Vossie would come good but for someone who wants to coach the GC team, he underwhelmed, with his comments. I can hardly recall one that was worth the breath used to utter it. I am rapidly concluding that he is plain old fashioned silly.

Dancin' Douggy
29-04-2008, 10:50 PM
That's not a bad idea at all. I for one think Grant Thomas deserves another crack. He was truly cruelled by injuries each and every finals campaign he went into.

Dancin' Douggy
29-04-2008, 10:51 PM
^^^^^^^
Forgot to quote GVGjr's idea re Thomas as coach for the new Gold Coast team

alwaysadog
29-04-2008, 10:52 PM
I thought it was incredible coming from Garry, someone that has loved having his ego stroked for many years.

And really what Voss has said is simple, as much as they need to find out whether he is the right person for them he needs to find out whether the Gold Coast club is the right situation for him. And that could be whether they are prepared to give him as much $ as he wants and as many years as he wants on his contract. Its the normal process anybody goes through when they apply for a job and a compnay goes through when looking to hire.

TCD forgot to say hope your boy is A-OK

Sorry BR but it's all a beat up. The GC mob wouldn't have any idea about appointing a coach for some time yet. What Voss was doing was firstly an ego massage, don't forget me, Michael is wonderful; but more troubling was an undercurrent that I'm not going to throw my hat in the ring unless I know in advance that you will pick it up.

I hope they told him that they were much more professional than that and that he would have to compete on the open market.

TCD, hope The COONPUP is better.

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 11:00 PM
That's not a bad idea at all. I for one think Grant Thomas deserves another crack. He was truly cruelled by injuries each and every finals campaign he went into.
I think that would be a much better idea than using a coach with absolutely no experience like Voss and it would hopefully stop him writing a colum for the Age.

alwaysadog
30-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I think that would be a much better idea than using a coach with absolutely no experience like Voss and it would hopefully stop him writing a colum for the Age.

There's down sides to both. Thomas isn't happy unless he is running eevrything at the club abd Voss has shown no smarts from the other side of the frnce.