PDA

View Full Version : How seriously should we take the preseason cup

bornadog
06-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I have not enjoyed the pre-season competition since Kelvin Templeton did his knee in the last 5 mintutes of a televised pre-season game and ended up ruining his career, he was never the same. Reading about it on another thread reminded me how much I hate the pre-season competition. However, would winning the Grand Final really give the boys added confidence? Should Eade really push hard and go for it? Should we be chasing the rich spoils that it brings? Or do a Sheedy and experiment with some young players, try players in different roles etc.

LostDoggy
06-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I have not enjoyed the pre-season competition since Kelvin Templeton did his knee in the last 5 mintutes of a televised pre-season game and ended up ruining his career, he was never the same. Reading about it on another thread reminded me how much I hate the pre-season competition. However, would winning the Grand Final really give the boys added confidence? Should Eade really push hard and go for it? Should we be chasing the rich spoils that it brings? Or do a Sheedy and experiment with some young players, try players in different roles etc.

The Official club line delivered so well by Eade is that we will play to win but not jeopardise the home and away season prospects.
I read that as if we get beaten we weren't really that serious anyway and that it provides a bit of an out with the supporters who might be expecting a big result. As long as we perform well it shouldn't impact memberships.

The pros of winning the competition is that it just about guarantees the 32,000 members target and gives the players a significant amount of confidence in their ability. It probably makes us even more attractive to sponsors as well.

The cons are that its very difficult to perform well in both competitions and if you aim high and fall short it could dent the confidence of the players.

Eade like always is probably selling the right message but I'd hope we really push for a very good result. I think the benefits outweigh the downside.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Given that I'm 42 & have never seen us win a flag of any description I'd LOVE us to win something, anything, even if it's the NAB Cup.

Twodogs
06-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Given that I'm 42 & have never seen us win a flag of any description I'd LOVE us to win something, anything, even if it's the NAB Cup.

Wurd, brother.

Dry Rot
07-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Could it come down to how seriously the players involved, not the club, take it?

By this I assume we'll rest our vets and give a lot of the younger players good game time, even some of this year's recruits. I assume at least Hahn, Hargrave, Cooney and Street won't be available.

We have great depth except for talls and ruckmen and competition will be hot for places. Players like McDougall. Addison, Pask, Hughes, Skipper, Baird etc will have the opportunity to shine.

If they do, we might win.

Hard Ball Get
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
We should play a few kids and play a few different players in different positions and take it reasonably seriously without having a full on attack.
I think if we make our way through to the semi's then we should have a real crack at winning it.

It would be nice to see some silverwear in the cabnet.

Go_Dogs
07-02-2007, 04:51 PM
No serious injuries is all I ask for.

I think it will be great to give some of the kids another run - such as Addison, Higgins, McCormack, perhaps Lynch. Some of the rookies, Faulkner, Skipper and some of the fringe players, plus Darcy, McDougall too. I'd like to see Griffen, McMahon, Higgins spend some good time in the centre square too.

southerncross
08-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Same here.
I suppose the question should be would you prefer a win in the NAB and the potential to finish in the top 6 or a good showing in the NAB and a guaranteed top four finish in the home and away season?

Dry Rot
08-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Same here.
I suppose the question should be would you prefer a win in the NAB and the potential to finish in the top 6 or a good showing in the NAB and a guaranteed top four finish in the home and away season?

Are the two necessarily mutually exclusive? - see saints in 2004.

Twodogs
08-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Same here.

I dont see a valid reason why we cant do both.

Go_Dogs
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Very true. Professional teams should be aiming to do both - winning the pre-season doesn't mean you'll have a garbage year.

GVGjr
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I dont see a valid reason why we cant do both.

Very few teams win both and anyway I think it's more about seeing the which is preferred.
I want us to win both but history would indicate that it is unlikely although there are some examples.

My preference would be to make the top 4 in the home and away but like everyone else I love us to win the NAB

Sockeye Salmon
08-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I always want to win**

**This is not actually true. I wanted to lose R22 2003 v Essendon so we didn't miss out on a priority pick, but other than that I can't think of another time.

GVGjr
08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
I always want to win**

But given the options which would be your preference?

westdog54
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
But given the options which would be your preference?

Personally my preference is that we do as well as possible in both. Having said that in our case it'll be a matter of the best we can do with the squad we choose to field. On the other hand, we've seen the difficulties posters have had on BF putting together a best 22, too many to pick from, so I think we're in a very priveliged position where we have the depth to rest veterans without upsetting team balance too much.