PDA

View Full Version : R7 - 2008 - Sydney v Western Bulldogs - Match Preview

The Coon Dog
29-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I was hoping to get a little bit more info stats wise, but spent the best part of the weekend at the hospital with my son, so sorry about that.

MATCH:

Sydney v Western Bulldogs – SCG – Sunday 4 May – 1.10pm

FORM THIS SEASON:

Sydney (5th) have won 3 games, lost 2 & drawn 1. Those loses were to St.Kilda by 2 points & Geelong who ran away in the final term which didn’t reflect the true picture. Convincing wins against Port Adelaide, Brisbane & West Coast are reflected in Sydney’s healthy percentage.

The Bulldogs (3rd) are unbeaten scoring wins against teams that have troubled us in the past in St.Kilda, Adelaide & West Coast with wins also against Essendon & Melbourne. The only blot on the copybook is a draw against Richmond, but significantly the Bulldogs have a better percentage than Syney & North melbourne after their draw in round 6.

RECENT CLASHES:

This doesn’t bode well for the Doggies as Sydney have won the past 5 encounters between the 2 sides. In those 5 games Sydney have scored 525 points to the Bulldogs 353, which roughly translates to an average 6 goal loss!

2007 R9 Syd 100 b WB 50
2006 R8 Syd 116 d WB 90
2005 R9 Syd 90 d WB 76
2004 R10 Syd 93 d WB 67
2003 R12 Syd 127 d WB 63

SCG FACTOR:

Sydney relish playing at the SCG. The last 5 encounters have seen healthy Swans victories: R14 2007 Freo 28 pts, R15 2007 Carl 62 pts, R17 2007 Rich 66 pts, R22 2007 Hawthorn 72 pts & R2 2008 Port 68 pts. That’s an average winning margin of 59 pts!!

The Doggies last 5 outings have resulted in a win & 4 losses: R8 2002 win 69 pts, R12 2003 loss 64 pts, R10 2004 loss 26 pts, R9 2005 loss 13 pts & R8 2006 loss 26 points.

PLAYERS MISSING:

Sydney are without Barry Hall which is a godsend for the Doggies as he has played well in recent matches, Nick Malceski, Nick Fosdike, Henry Playfair & Jarred Crouch are either injured or playing for the Swans reserves.

The Doggies Shaun Higgins, Farren Ray, Andrejs Everitt & Tom Williams are still listed as injured or returning via Williamstown.

LAST MEETING:

A comprehensive shut out by Sydney in Manuka in front of 14,517 fans. Sydney that day had 353 possessions to the Bulldogs poultry total of 252. Syd 15.10.100 d WB 8.9.57. Fortunately 2 of the better players that day are out in Schnieder (St.Kilda) & Malceski (knee).

SELECTION TABLE:

Sydney may welcome back injured ruckman Peter Everitt, who has absolutely thrashed our ruckmen over recent matches including stints up forward where he’s managed to kick a few handy goals. He made his return from injury this week for the Swan’s reserves.

The Doggies are unlikely to make any changes in my view. Those changes that may be considered are Eagleton/Hill out & Ray & one of Ward/O’Keefe in, tho I’d stick with the current team.

PLAYERS UNDER THE PUMP:

Sydney may look at dropping Nick Davis whose form has been ordinary, particularly on the weekend against North Melbourne where he had just 9 disposals & only kicked the one goal.

Nathan Eagleton must find that raking left foot & quickly. With Farren Ray close to returning someone’s going to be squeezed out to make way for him.

STYLE:

Sydney will want to play the game on their terms which is all about getting numbers to the contest, restricting space & being prepared to run & block for each other. Watching Sydney play football is akin to watching a boa-constrictor feast upon a hapless lamb. You know how it will end up, but before the coup-de-gras, the young lamb will have the life squeezed out of it.

The Bulldogs must be wary of trying to play the game as Sydney would like it, tho this season the Bulldogs have shown that a solid pre season in the gym & adding some bulk has meant that they are more than capable around the stoppages. A ruckman who willingly looks to get his hands dirty too has helped.

KEY DEULS:

Paul Bevan v Jason Akermanis: I think Aker has shown over recent weeks that he’s extremely dangerous up forward, particularly if he’s given space. Don’t expect him to be given much latitude by Paul Bevan this week.

Craig Bolton v Robert Murphy: Sydney will know just how dangerous Murph can be. He has the uncanny knack of turning defenders inside out as well as hurting them with scintillating leads. Like Aker I expect him to be marked extremely closely & Craig Bolton is the man I expect to take him. If Murph gets off the leash early then Martin Mattner may be next.

Brett Kirk v Adam Cooney: The ultimate test for Coons this week. At the end of the game he’ll know he’s played a game of footy as Kirk will be with him every step of the way. Underrate Kirk offensively at your peril. When Sydney have the ball Kirk is fantastic at finding space & can really hurt you going the other way. Cooney’s biggest test to date. His team mates must be prepared to block at the stoppages to allow Cooney some run at the ball.

Adam Goodes v Matthew Boyd: As much as Goodes is strong overhead, it’s his ability to run that can really hurt you. Boyd has the engine to go with him but will need cover from taller defenders if Goodes pushes forward. Shut Goodes down & it limits Sydney’s ‘go forward’ significantly.

Michael O’Loughlin v Dale Morris: Probably one of the few players who have given Dale a thorough hiding. O’Loughlin can be unsighted for most of the game & bob up with a few goals in a short period of time as he did in the final term on the weekend against the Kangaroos. Never seems to miss set shots against us either!

Ryan O’Keefe v Lindsay Gilbee: Both players give enormous drive to their respective teams & this will be a pivotal battle in the scheme of things. Whoever can get on top will go along way towards their team’s ultimate outcome in this game.

Jolly/Everitt v Hudson/Minson: Jolly & Everitt have hurt us in the past, not only around the ground but going forward they have been able to kick goals. I don’t expect them to have it their own way this time against Hudson & Minson & believe this is probably the most important duel in the match. Should a ruckman dominate then his team are likely to be ahead at the end of the game.

WHO WILL WIN & WHY?

Having watched the Swans on the weekend I can honestly say it was one of the more dour games I’ve seen for sometime. No one has the ability to lock a game down like Sydney does! They are past masters at it & excel is contesting a stop play, moving it forward 15 metres & contesting another stop play.

This is a particularly gruelling game & must tax the players enormously. Core body strength is paramount & Sydney posses it in spades. Midfield rotations take on enormous significance in this game too, as fresh legs are going to be needed at every contest.

The Bulldogs must not fall into the trap that other teams do (see North on the weekend) & attempt to play Sydney at their own game. The Bulldogs must stick to what has worked this year & be prepared to run with the ball & spot up a leading target. Players who get into space must be used & really hurt the Swans with their disposal.

I’d consider looking to use a forward in a defensive role to negate Tadgh Kennelly as much as possible as he’s the sole reason Sydney got back into the game on the weekend with dash from half back.

Scott Welsh could possibly be the game breaker, particularly if he starts picking off defensive kicks from the Swans & is able to convert.

This could go either way, but I’ll tip a Doggies win by 1 point.

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Hope your boy is alright.

Should be an interesting match. We really need to nullify the impact of Goodes to have any chance. Not sure who we can put on him that he can run the match out with. IIRC Power regularly got the nod to play on Goodes and was quite effective.

If its played on our terms we should win quite comfortably, but it wont be so im predicting a good ol' slog-fest, low scoring, shit football that the Swans play.

Nevertheless ill tip the dogs by 14.

aker39
29-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Great report TCD.

A couple of things that will make a difference this week.

When we get the ball in the middle of the ground, we will be able to kick it to the goal square, with Big Will and Welsh up there. In the past we would have had to look for a little pass to Johnno with 3 Swans players bearing down on him.

I also think if Spider plays, that Hudson will be able to negate him.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Do you not see a matchup for Lake, TCD?

I think he'll go to O'Loughlin and Morris will get O'Keefe.

It will come down to stopping Goodes and Kennelly. Gia will get the Irishman but who knows how we'll stop Goodes, I'd go with Griffen.

The Underdog
29-04-2008, 05:23 PM

It will come down to stopping Goodes and Kennelly. Gia will get the Irishman but who knows how we'll stop Goodes, I'd go with Griffen.

I think I'd prefer it the other way. Still remember Lake getting a hiding from Mickey O a few years ago. Also think he's better suited to O'Keefe.

What about Cross on Goodes? He can run all day, is strong and fantastic overhead.
I don't think we have a real good matchup for Goodes, he's a rare package.

Nice write up TCD.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Good stuff TCD, you know your stuff.

Sydney will be one of the biggest tests we've had in as many years. It's a deadset real indication of how far we've come and it'll be interesting to see how we combat the disadvantages of the SCG to our game plan, and dealing with the pressure and style of Sydney's play.

Hudson is pivotal; his repeated efforts are more important this week than they've probably ever been thus far. West & Cross need to be at their best too. If these three can find the hardballs & provide space & protection for the likes of Cooney & Griffen, then we'll be every chance to challenge the Swans with a victory. Minson up forward is really important too. He needs to contest hard & bring the ball to ground because we've got clear winners - Aker is fine touch. If Minson can continue to provide half opportunities for our smalls whilst taking a few himself, we'll function much better than we have against them in the past where we've been really easy pickings. Welsh as you mentioned TCD is important too and could be a big difference. He's an intelligent player and works hard defensively - if this is up, he may well find himself having a few shots on goal as Sydney tend to muck around with the ball a bit.

You've covered most of it TCD, so I don't have a whole lot to add except that we've really got to concentrate hard and plug away. If our pressure is up they'll turn the ball over because they aren't the most skillful and with a few inexperienced types, it's an area we could exploit if we show the type of style against The Saints for 3 quarters. Any lapses and we'll find ourselves in trouble, though.

It's a tough challenge, but we've never been better placed to beat them.

Dogs by 8.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2008, 05:29 PM

I see Lake taking Spida or Jolly if they rest down there. If they change on/off the bench then they will play White close to goal & Lake would take him. O'Loughlin would be able to turn Brian in knots when it hits the deck.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Goodes is an interesting one and we have a few options as have already been mentioned. Cross & Boyd have been given the task in the past and done alright at times. Griffen could be a good choice and free him up a little from the extra attention he's received in the last few weeks. However, it's dangerous, as Griff would need to be right on his game otherwise he'd find himself on the wrong end of a spanking.

O'Loughlin is the most dangerous player for us, IMHO. He always seems to towel us up and cause huge problems. Morris has been beaten badly in the past, and although he's still an option, I'd probably rather Lake first up. He's our best defender and over the years, Micky has loved playing against us. Desperately need to shut him down.

Morris on O'Keefe is a match-up I like too,.

If we win both of these match-ups, we're halfway home.

Big Dog
29-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Hahn in patches would also be a good match up for Goodes....he is taller than Boyd/Cross and has the strength to go against Goodes. I wouldnt suggest moving Hahn away from the forward 50 for more than 2 quarters but may be able to provide Boyd/Cross etc with a breather (especially given Boyd's challenge last week against West Coast). Hahn's bullocking work will also be important to the side given the tight enclosures of the SCG...

Dry Rot
29-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Well done TCD.

I have a feeling that Everitt will be selected and used as a forward which brings Lake into play.

IIRC Hargrave has gone well on Micky O and Morris hasn't, but perhaps Morris is a better defender now.

I've seen the Swans a lot, and often if you can stop O'Keefe, you stop the Swans.

I'll be there again, so they better bloody win this time!

The Doctor
29-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I'll be there again, so they better bloody win this time!

We haven't won in Sydney since your infamous date with Matty Boyd's mum. Obviously this has had some kind of profound psychological effect upon the team.

You should send a note to the club saying you will not be coming.

bornadog
29-04-2008, 06:54 PM
For once I wish we could play this mob at home instead of the SCG or Canberra, however, good teams can win anywhere.

The midfield is once more going to be the key and with Sydneys tactics of bottling up the game, it will be interesting to see how Cooney and Griffen cope with the close attention. Last year in Canberra, we got smashed in the ruck by Jolly and Everitt. Everitt will have limited time in the ruck but will be a handful in the forward line.

This year with the addittion of Hudson, Callan and Welsh as well as the extra Kgs the boys have put on, should make a difference to the clearances. The Swans biggest problem is that they don't kick many goals, however, they also don't let the oppoistion kick many.

I am more confident of a win this year than any other. Dogs by 23 points.

GVGjr
29-04-2008, 07:00 PM

I like the idea of Morris on O'Keefe as well but failing that I would consider playing Hahn on him. Hahn has been very good up forward however, given what an in form O'Keefe means to the Swans I think it is worthy of consideration.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Great write up TCD.

I think this game is potentially a season defining event for us.
If our game style holds up against the Swans, then I believe this will instill a great deal of confidence in the group that it will hold up to opposition scrutiny for the rest of the season.
We have not beaten Sydney since Eade took the reigns, and we simply must win to reinforce how far we appear to have come.
If we lose, moreso if we lose convincingly I think with the break coming right after, our players could dwell on it.

I still have doubts about our guys self belief holding up when faced with adversity, and given our game style requiring quick and precise ball movement, and players backing themselves in, a bad loss could see us falter when faced with further tests no doubt in store in season 2008.
In short our guys must simply find a way to win this weekend, if we are to sustain our excellent start to the season.

The Doctor
29-04-2008, 07:05 PM
What about Morris onto Goodes to help cut the supply to O'Keefe? Also placing a tag on Keneally with say Boyd or Addison. Cutting off their drive forward would be critical in what shapes as a hard to score match.

Harris could then take O'Keefe and Shagster onto Mickey O.

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Excellent preview dedicated doggie! I think (and its stating the obvious) that our biggest pitfall is psychological. On paper the Swans really look like a tough nugget reserve grade or VFA team with the major exceptions of O'Keefe, Goodes and O'Loughlin.
What they don't lack is tactical maturity: ie: the ability to treat each five minute block of a game in a zen buddhist -like fashion ( thinking of Brett Kirk in particular) and to constantly "regroup". IMO- in the unhappy possibility of stars like Cooney, Griffen and Aker go missing for significant periods of time this week Hudson, Cross and Hahn and lesser lights like Callan and Wight will be crucial to keep a regular heartbeat ticking.
A major test for the dogs, would like to see boyd on Goodes and Lake free range on resting ruckman or middle sized forwards.....Go Doggies!!!

Dancin' Douggy
29-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I was worried against the Tigers. I thought this is exactly the kind of game we lose. Everyone picked us and we saw what happened. I'm confident we'll beat the SWans.
GO DOGS!!!!!!!!

wimberga
29-04-2008, 08:17 PM
What about Morris onto Goodes to help cut the supply to O'Keefe? Also placing a tag on Keneally with say Boyd or Addison. Cutting off their drive forward would be critical in what shapes as a hard to score match.

Interesting Idea Doctor, and wouldnt mind seeing that.

IIRC Morris did a pretty good job on Kerr and this would be a pretty good idea, as he has good closing speed, can take Goodes easily if he pushes forward and has the motor to go with him. Only concern with that one is that it then leaves one of O'Keefe or O'Loughlin to be taken by Shaggy and the other to be taken by, im not sure, Callan? If so, i think Callan might be a bit underdone against those guys, so would be interesting to see HOW we could do it.

Bulldog Revolution
29-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I think Morris on OKeefe, as OKeefe is a great runner and almost won them the game last week and he's there most in form forward.

Hargrave could be an option on Davis or OLaughlin

GVGjr mentioned maybe Kirk to Griffen, who do you think Jack will take? Hes been given big jobs in almost every game, could he get Cooney?

GVGjr
29-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I think Morris on OKeefe, as OKeefe is a great runner and almost won them the game last week and he's there most in form forward.

Hargrave could be an option on Davis or OLaughlin

GVGjr mentioned maybe Kirk to Griffen, who do you think Jack will take? Hes been given big jobs in almost every game, could he get Cooney?

I think they will try Jack on either West or Cooney.

hujsh
29-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I think they will try Jack on either West or Cooney.

Maybe Acker? did a good job last time they played eachother (although it was a NAB cup)

Mantis
29-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Gee there is a few varied and obscure views being shared here so I suppose I should throw my 2 bobs in.

From memory Gilbee did a pretty job on O'Keefe last year, deserves first crack.

O'Loughlin is a tough match-up and has proven this against us time and time again, but Morris is the most suited and is our best one on one defender so plays on the opposition's most dangerous forward, Micky O in this case.

But I think rather than focus on individual match-ups we need to try and close down the space that the Sydney forwards have to work in. From our most recent meeting I was amazed with the amount of space the Sydney forwards had to work in. It seemed every time we went forward we were doing so under pressure and to a crowded area whereas the Sydney forwards in Hall, O'Loughlin and others had space to lead into to present to the ball carrier. We simply must try and crowd this space.

Not long after the Sydney game last year I was lucky enough to speak to Rocket and he admitted that our tactics were arse about. He and the assistants thought that we were developed enough to go man on man against the Swans and we got bitten on the bum. We are further developed now, but I would think we would ere on the side on caution and play numbers behind the ball, especially early in the game.

Huge test and a game in which we will find out which players can stand up against a tough/ physical team and which one's can't. Really looking forward to it and am hoping that our players can stand tall.

1eyedog
29-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Great analysis TCD thanks heaps. I don't like either of these match ups for us. Both players are known as good attacking players and I not only think we'll lose some bite going into forward 50 but also get bitten with (IMO) the poor defensive capabilities of Griffen (even though he is a HBFlanker, he uses it to attack like Gram from the Saints and H Shaw from the Pies). None of these players are great defensively Griffen included. Goodes will towel him up. Guido will probably get Kennelly but he's too slow for him. I reckon Boyd will get first crack at Goodes, although I would like to see Hahn get half a game on him.

1eyedog
29-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Gee there is a few varied and obscure views being shared here so I suppose I should throw my 2 bobs in.

From memory Gilbee did a pretty job on O'Keefe last year, deserves first crack.

Fair enough, I just think O'Keefe will be too strong for Gilbee in the air if O'Keefe is on song, Gilbee won't be on him for long.

1eyedog
29-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Just can't go with him, Morris would have to be alternated with someone with a bigger engine. Goodesy has a massive engine for a big bloke and hence is very difficult to match up on.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Fair enough, I just think O'Keefe will be too strong for Gilbee in the air if O'Keefe is on song, Gilbee won't be on him for long.

I think that purely as a defender Gilbee is very underated. I reckon there wouldn't be much difference in height between Gilbee & O'Keefe.

One of the reasons I elected to go with Gilbee on O'Keefe & not Morris is that O'Keefe tends to play as a half forward & Gilbee's most potent weapon is his run from half back & delivery into the forward line.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Guys I truly believe we will be too classy and fast for the Swans. I think that Eade will drop Hargrave or White and bring in a quick small (Ray/Cullan), this would be a fantastic opportunity to start Lake at Full forward. I think Hill could be good for Goodes and Morris on Olaughlin with a point to prove. Good learning for Hill also.

Dogs by 6 goals.

1eyedog
29-04-2008, 10:22 PM
??? and Hahn alternating on Goodes (can't come up with another match up atm), I like Shags on O'Loughlin and Morris on O'Keefe. Addison may get a crack on Kennelly, don't mind that. I reckon the Swans will play Grundy or a big fella in the square, Jolly alternatating? Not sure, Lake would get him. Boyd on Kirk and West running with Bolton. Jack will go to our most dangerous mid, Cooney (IMO).

1eyedog
29-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I think that purely as a defender Gilbee is very underated. I reckon there wouldn't be much difference in height between Gilbee & O'Keefe.

One of the reasons I elected to go with Gilbee on O'Keefe & not Morris is that O'Keefe tends to play as a half forward & Gilbee's most potent weapon is his run from half back & delivery into the forward line.

Gilbs about 180cm and O'Keefe about 188cm, but O'Keefe very, very strong in the air.

Beast
29-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Perhaps Cam Wight possesses the dogged endurance, competitiveness and height to effectively tag Goodes. In any case, he may give Boyd a break from the role.

bornadog
30-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Guys I truly believe we will be too classy and fast for the Swans. I think that Eade will drop Hargrave or White and bring in a quick small (Ray/Cullan), this would be a fantastic opportunity to start Lake at Full forward. I think Hill could be good for Goodes and Morris on Olaughlin with a point to prove. Good learning for Hill also.

Dogs by 6 goals.

Who picks up Everitt if he plays? Eade won't be dropping Wight as he will be needed to pick up the resting ruckman.

I believe Lake is in top form as a fullback and we don't need him up forward. We have kicked more goals than any other club.

Your comments on Hill and Morris could work. Hill will certainly learn something, but do you think he is ready to take Goodes on?

bornadog
30-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Perhaps Cam Wight possesses the dogged endurance, competitiveness and height to effectively tag Goodes. In any case, he may give Boyd a break from the role.

I think Wight is a good match up on Goodes who is 194 cm and Boyd is only 184cm.

We don't really have any one else, except maybe Hargraves.

Dry Rot
30-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I think Wight is a good match up on Goodes who is 194 cm and Boyd is only 184cm.

We don't really have any one else, except maybe Hargraves.

Agreed. Goodes surely would be too good in the air for Boyd.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Great preview TCD. Seems like the match ups for this game are going to be pretty crazy, we're all struggling to agree on most points and I'm sure the coaching staff from both sides will be the same.

I'd like to see Griff have first crack at Goodes.

Gia to tag the Irishmen, but if he gets beaten early, throw Addison forward to do it - he could be helpful locking the ball up in the F50.

Agree Morris on Micky O. Gilbee on O'Keefe.

I hadn't though of Jack going to Cooney, but that could indeed happen, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kirk and Cross go head to head (hopefully anyway, would be fantastic).

As TCD mentioned the rucks will be very important. Hopefully Minson can take a few marks up forward and Hudson can continue on from his good form last week.

Should be a ripper!

BulldogBelle
30-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Great preview TCD, I like the way you structured your report, the headings and plenty of white space.

We are a much better team then when we last met Sydney. Sydney are not as good now as they were then.

The betting for the match has Sydney as a run-away favourite. Too much confidence there.

We are due for a win.

Bulldogs by ten goals and to kick the sweep!

alwaysadog
30-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Great preview TCD, I like the way you structured your report, the headings and plenty of white space.

We are a much better team then when we last met Sydney. Sydney are not as good now as they were then.

The betting for the match has Sydney as a run-away favourite. Too much confidence there.

We are due for a win.

Bulldogs by ten goals and to kick the sweep!

Great work TDC. I think we should win but Sydney play the style most likely to trouble us; ie deny space and keep ball movement slow. As long as we don't let them contain us down cul de sacs... and keep having a man out wide to break play open we will do ok. Try to play them at their game and we are gone.

bornadog
30-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Try to play them at their game and we are gone.

That is a very good point Topdog. Swans are masters at that style of play.

We need to make sure we are kicking the ball long into the forward line and Minson must hold his marks, or make sure he brings it to ground, to the advantage of our smalls. Hahn has had the most tackles in the AFL in the forward 50, so he is going to be very important. Murphy is in top form and once again will be a handful for the Swans.

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Dogs by 6 goals.

What's a Cullan?

If you mean Callan you can't promote him because he's already there.

Hill can't possibly go with Goodes, no strength, no motor. IMO Hill shouldn't even be in the side this week (replaced by Ray).

You've taken our two biggest defenders out of the backline. At least one of Everitt/Jolly/White will be in the forward line so one of them at least will be needed.

The Coon Dog
30-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Hill can't possibly go with Goodes, no strength, no motor.

After the first game Rocket was interviewed & said they did VO2 testing at Vic Uni & found Hill had an enormous tank & told him to be prepared to run all day as he can play on the wing.

Sedat
30-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Great summary TCD, and agree on most of the proposed match-ups, especially Bevan against Aker. Bevan kept an in-form Shannon Grant to 2 measly kicks for the entire match last week, despite Grant spending 100% game time on the field - unbelievable job.

Micky O has torn us a new one on so many occasions in the past I can't remember them all - even the ever reliable Morris has suffered a shellacking against him in the past. Suffice to say, whoever we choose to match up on him will be critical. I suspect he will be given acres of space up forward to try and isolate his direct opponent. I'd still give Morris first crack.

I reckon Jack might get first crack at Cooney this week - he has been their key go-to defensive tagger most weeks this season, freeing up (relative to Sydney!) the likes of Kirk and Bolton to be somewhat more offensive minded.

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2008, 11:35 AM
After the first game Rocket was interviewed & said they did VO2 testing at Vic Uni & found Hill had an enormous tank & told him to be prepared to run all day as he can play on the wing.

It will take him another 2-3 pre-seasons before he can build it up. One day he might have elite endurance but it's not yet.

gs17
30-04-2008, 02:28 PM
What's a Cullan?

Hill can't possibly go with Goodes, no strength, no motor. IMO Hill shouldn't even be in the side this week (replaced by Ray).

You've taken our two biggest defenders out of the backline. At least one of Everitt/Jolly/White will be in the forward line so one of them at least will be needed.

I think they mean Callan Ward?

hujsh
30-04-2008, 02:49 PM
What's a Cullan?

Cal Ward?

Mantis
30-04-2008, 06:53 PM
A mate of mine saw Scott West yesterday and mentioned to me that West was really favoring his injured knee. ie. hobbling quite badly.

If he is still sore is it best to give him an extra week off before the break or just nurse him through this week?

GVGjr
30-04-2008, 06:55 PM
A mate of mine saw Scott West yesterday and mentioned to me that West was really favoring his injured knee. ie. hobbling quite badly.

If he is still sore is it best to give him an extra week off before the break or just nurse him through this week?

Yes I think there is some merit in resting him again.

The Coon Dog
30-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes I think there is some merit in resting him again.

If West doesn't come up, who comes in out of Ray, Ward, O'Keefe or Tiller?

Farren Ray for me.

GVGjr
30-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Farren Ray for me.

It seems likely but I'd like to see Ray have another week with Williamstown. Harbrow missed last week and wasn't mentioned in todays injury list in the paper. O'Keefe seems to be in the mix but it would be a hard first up game for him. No problems with the other two either as we have decent depth at the moment. I thought Stack was making some progress but he didn't get a lot of it last week.

bornadog
30-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Farren Ray for me.

Give Okeefe a go. Ray needs another week to make sure he gets match fit.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Split round this week. Willi doesn't have a game.

Ray should play.

The Coon Dog
01-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Nick Davis dropped to seconds for at least a month (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23626217-19742,00.html)

NICK Davis's career is at the crossroads after Sydney coach Paul Roos said he would send him to the seconds for at least a month.

It's the second time this season Davis has been dropped for poor form.

He was demoted to the ACT competition for three weeks after the two-point loss to St Kilda in Round 1.

Davis's manager, Lance Thompson, the recently retired Cronulla Sharks second-rower, said last night there were no issues between Davis and the Swans.

In 2006 Davis was banished to the reserves for six weeks after accusing Roos of making him the scapegoat for the Round 14 loss to Adelaide.

The 2005 finals hero has since been a model Swan.

Thompson expected Davis to take his latest setback very hard but said the 28-year-old, who is contracted until the end of the 2011 season, would not be asking for a trade.

"There's no problems at all between Nick and the club, nothing that I know of," Thompson said yesterday.

"Nick obviously feels the hurt when he does get dropped, like he did at the start of the year.

"He's still contracted to the club for a little while, so he won't be leaving."

Davis's confidence is down. He missed two goals he would normally kick 99 times out of 100 in Sunday's draw against North Melbourne. However, Roos was unhappy with Davis's lack of pressure, chasing and tackling, which also were concerns in the St Kilda game.

Roos admitted it had been an unsuccessful gamble to bring an underdone Davis back into the team two weeks ago to replaced the suspended and injured Barry Hall.

"Out of necessity with Hally out, we tried him for a couple of weeks and it didn't work and that is fine," Roos said.

"But you would like to see him have a really good solid month of hard footy (in the seconds) and hard training and get his confidence up and make sure that next time he comes in, he is coming in with some real form behind him.

"He is a bit down in confidence. The issue with those pressure things, a lot does come with confidence, and I think missing those early goals which he normally kicks.

"He has to get some confidence back and build himself up as a real quality player that we know he is."

Davis will be replaced by former Geelong tall forward Henry Playfair, who will make his Swans debut against the Western Bulldogs at the SCG on Sunday.

Roos also confirmed veteran ruckman Peter Everitt would be back from injury to play his first senior game of the season.

Everitt, who turns 34 on Saturday, will come in for young big man Jesse White, who made his debut against North Melbourne at the weekend.

firstdogonthemoon
01-05-2008, 08:00 AM
LAST MEETING:

A comprehensive shut out by Sydney in Manuka in front of 14,517 fans. Sydney that day had 353 possessions to the Bulldogs poultry total of 252. Syd 15.10.100 d WB 8.9.57. Fortunately 2 of the better players that day are out in Schnieder (St.Kilda) & Malceski (knee).

Mate, it's the Western Bulldogs not the Western Chickens. Or did you leave your spellchecker at the hospital? Or maybe coon pup normally writes this stuff and you just put your name on it? I thought so!

Lovely analysis either way.

Sydney terrify me. Give me nightmares - this is our biggest test I reckon.

I assume we will be destroyed as I have Stockholm Syndrome.

The Coon Dog
01-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Mate, it's the Western Bulldogs not the Western Chickens.
We played like chickens that day, headless ones & all.

Desipura
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Ray would have to come in if West is out injured.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Good analysis Coondog. A couple of observations, first game for Spida - what is his fitness level like? Also, Playfair not rated highly as a full forward, in fact Sydney have the yipes at the moment kicking goals, therefore we have to make the most of every opportunity.
Finally, it will come down to the ruck where with the great follow up work from Hudson, we may have an advantage.

I would like to see Cross with Kirk, and Griffin with Goodes - Griffin did not play last time we met them. Also, if my recollections are correct, we got off to a bad start against them in 2006, but after that we made ground back up - just a couple of quick goals for them at the end sealed our loss, but we were in that game for a fair amount of time - unlike last years effort. Sydney are beatable by our boys - but they have to be really switched on. Test of the year!

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2008, 09:26 AM
I would like to see Cross with Kirk, and Griffin with Goodes - Griffin did not play last time we met them.

DRB - Griff is only playing 65%-70% of game time, and its questionable whether Griff could run with him - who do you think should take Goodes when he is off?

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 09:41 AM
DRB - Griff is only playing 65%-70% of game time, and its questionable whether Griff could run with him - who do you think should take Goodes when he is off?

Yeah true, someone here mentioned Shaggy - is he an option?

bornadog
01-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Looking at Griff in the games so far this year, he really does need to be off the ground 30% plus time. He must run hard in spells and then he looks really tired. I don't think he is the man to run with Goodes.

Of all the players that worry me for this game, Goodes is the one. He has been out of form, but seems to relish playing us as he always ends up finding form and has a great season. It will be interesting to see who does end up playing on him.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Thompson expected Davis to take his latest setback very hard but said the 28-year-old, who is contracted until the end of the 2011 season, would not be asking for a trade.

What mental giant gave this clown a 4 year deal?

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Griffen has to start getting a kick, he has been poor the last 3 weeks. Shades of last year were he lost confidence. And Josh Hill has to be dropped this week, a spell in the reserves will do him good. Dont bring in Harbrow, he isnt the answer short term or long term.
Give Okeefe a run i suppose

westdog54
01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Griffen has to start getting a kick, he has been poor the last 3 weeks. Shades of last year were he lost confidence. And Josh Hill has to be dropped this week, a spell in the reserves will do him good. Dont bring in Harbrow, he isnt the answer short term or long term.
Give Okeefe a run i suppose

Why not Callan Ward?

And as for Harbrow, would you prefer we bring Malcolm Lynch in?

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Why not Callan Ward?

And as for Harbrow, would you prefer we bring Malcolm Lynch in?

If Lynch was fit, yes. He is what we need in the forward line, super quick and skillful. I dont rate Harbrow's kicking, Lynch will be twice the player.

I would be happy to bring Ward in to replace Hill.

The Coon Dog
01-05-2008, 04:57 PM
If Lynch was fit, yes. He is what we need in the forward line, super quick and skillful. I dont rate Harbrow's kicking, Lynch will be twice the player.

If it's based on attitude then Lynch will not make it!!! Harbrow's attitude is 100 times that of young Malcolm's!

ledge
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Scares me if West doesnt play, if ever we needed him its against Sydney.

westdog54
01-05-2008, 05:17 PM

But you also:

Said we'd never win a flag with Lake at FB
Wouldn't have drafted Scott Welsh
Think that despite sitting 3rd on the ladder we need a cleanout of players
Think that Rocket is coaching for his career this year and won't do his best for the club as a result.

I think we can take that opinion with a grain of salt.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Lynch will be lucky not to be back playing for Southern Districts next year.

lowedog
01-05-2008, 05:49 PM
This is a big game, but we should be theones going in with the confidence, and i reckon we will see a few different things happen. The defencive end i think will take care of itself. I think shaggy will take okeefe, callan to davis(if he plays) then you can please yourself with where the others go. Where we will win is in the guts and up forward. They cant kick a winning score if the opposition gets up and running. thatts where our superior half back line will come into effect. Gillbee is the class player in the comp across that line and i think that our best player last week, murph may fin himself pushing that far up the ground to clear out the forward line. With there smarts starting the ball rolling, getting cooney, griff and the likes running through the guts, Johnno, Aker and Welshy leading, then doubling back, with big minnow staying home, i believe that our ability to score big will see us over the line. They might have that awful shut down game, but if the blokes back themselves and take on there opponents with confidence, look out! We'll win in a canter. If the boys sit back and let the swans slow the tempo and push players to the ball, then it will be a lot tighter, but i think if thats the case we'll still prevail, but in a closer dour contest!

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Scares me if West doesnt play, if ever we needed him its against Sydney.
Ha?
What did i miss????

Saw that he was named on the injury list but didnt think much of it.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Lynch will be lucky not to be back playing for Southern Districts next year.

Doesnt say much for Harbrow then does it

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
But you also:

Think that Rocket is coaching for his career this year and won't do his best for the club as a result.

I stand by those points.

Bulldog4life
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I stand by those points.

You would look a lot less foolish if you said that you were just plain wrong. :)

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 08:01 PM
You would look a lot less foolish if you said that you were just plain wrong. :)

Foolish? Why would i be foolish?

hujsh
01-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Then you really don't know.:D

GVGjr
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
But you also:

I don't think you have supplied good reasons for the negativity on the hist list that westdog quoted.

Most here would think that
Lakes a fine fullback
Welsh cost us nothing
We don't need a clean out of the list
and that Rocket has redeemed his reputation

Of course the real test for the club starts this week and probably for the next 5 week but at the moment we are ahead of where most of thought we would be anyway.

bornadog
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Just through from sportal.com.au

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Gilbee, Lake, Morris
HB: Griffen, Wight, Hargrave
C: Eagleton, West, Cross
HF: Murphy, Hahn, Johnson
F: Akermanis, Minson, Welsh
FOLL: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney
I/C: Hill, Addison, Giansiracusa, Callan
EMG: Skipper, Tiller, Ward

Field umpires: Rosebury, Stevic, McInerney

SYDNEY
B: Kennelly, Barry, Mattner
HB: C.Bolton, Richards, Jack
C: Buchanan, Kirk, McVeigh
HF: R.O'Keefe, Roberts-Thomson, Moore
F: Bevan, O'Loughlin, Barlow
FOLL: Jolly, Goodes, J.Bolton
I/C: Bird, Everitt, Mathews, Playfair
EMG: Smith, Brennan,White
IN: Everitt, Mathews, Playfair
OUT: Ablett (calf), Davis, White

Bumper Bulldogs
03-05-2008, 09:54 AM
What's a Cullan?

Yes it was "Callan"

Hill would lift playing on Goodes and would fast track his learnings. If it didn't work after 10/15 minutes we would need to change. Yes agree with not having the motor to go with him all game but it might show him what it will take in the future to be as good as these blokes. my view is he has a better skill and uncanny ability to read and make space.

With Lake yes he's been fantastic and I would think it would upset the balance of the swans and they are not tall & strong with out BB Barry down there.

Weather looks ok so I think we will be able to free up and kick a winning score.

Dogs still by 6 goals.

1eyedog
03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes it was "Callan"

Hill would lift playing on Goodes and would fast track his learnings. If it didn't work after 10/15 minutes we would need to change. Yes agree with not having the motor to go with him all game but it might show him what it will take in the future to be as good as these blokes. my view is he has a better skill and uncanny ability to read and make space.

With Lake yes he's been fantastic and I would think it would upset the balance of the swans and they are not tall & strong with out BB Barry down there.

Weather looks ok so I think we will be able to free up and kick a winning score.

Dogs still by 6 goals.

Wouldn't be putting Hill on Goodes, no way, we'll be 4 goals down at quarter time. It's ok to expose young players on the oppositions 'solid contributors' every now and again but Hill is too immature to play on a dual brownlow medalist IMO. Start Lake down back, see what happens, if necessity dictates a shift put him at full forward in the last quarter. Don't see why we would change a winning formula, we are kicking enough goals atm, although that may change tomorrow. I don't think we should be too experimental to start against the Swans, especially in defence. Make changes as the game unravels, but Lake at FF may be an option at some stage.

LostDoggy
03-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Cant wait for this match...it's gunna be a ripper.
First time im not going to a game this year!

Hopefully we can stop Goodes controlling the game, if we can do that we're half way there.

Dry Rot
03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Weather forecast for tomorrow - cool but sunny:

Forecast for Sunday
Fine. Sunny apart from a little high cloud. Light west to southwest winds turning east to southeast in the afternoon.

Precis: Fine. Mostly sunny.

City: Min: 12 Max: 21
West: Min: 7 Max: 20

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN10064.shtml

Lucky for us - it's been wet most weekends for ages up here.

Raw Toast
03-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Ta muchly for the preview TCD (and glad to hear that TCP is doing ok - what happens in the house when your dream-teams face off? :))

I wouldn't start Hill on Goodes, but would be tempted to put him on for short spells towards the end of quarters. Goodes can be hurt going the other way, and Hill did this nicely to Dal Santo.

Like I said in another thread, I hope we play on quickly by foot whenever possible, and kick it long to big Will with crumbers awaiting. We probably need to go one-on-one for this to work, otherwise their loose-man in defence could have a field day.

Also be interesting to see what Eade does with Murphy, as CHF's can become a bit redundant on the SCG (though it aparently has been lengthened). Murphy might be perfect for the SCG however, as like O'Keefe, he can run all over the place.

I'm looking forward to this game, but not with great confidence, as Sydney have such a good record against us, and I think our general style of play suits them, especially at the SCG.

1eyedog
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
West is a huge out for us against such a good in and under and stoppage team.

LostDoggy
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
West is a huge out for us against such a good in and under and stoppage team.

West is still not a definite out.

1eyedog
03-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Heard he was a definate out on SEN today so wouldn't hold out much hope. Said he may even be a 3-4 week out as the knee surgery recovery was underestimated