PDA

View Full Version : New teams to get 12 players and draft bonus

The Coon Dog
01-05-2008, 06:44 AM
New teams to get 12 players and draft bonus (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/boost-for-new-teams/2008/04/30/1209234957079.html)

THE new Gold Coast team will have access to 12 uncontracted players before it enters the competition and will have two opportunities to, in effect, "gut" a very strong 2010 draft, under the AFL's proposal for establishing the 17th team.

Under the AFL's proposed "list establishment" document for the Gold Coast and Western Sydney teams, the new Queensland club will be given access to a staggering 10 elite 17-year-olds — from all over the country — in next year's draft, and Western Sydney will be given the same deal in 2010.

The AFL yesterday confirmed that it was raising the draft age to 18 years (January 1 to December 31) for the 2009 draft — a decision that will dramatically improve the quality of the 2010 draft, in which the Gold Coast is slated to have picks 1-5, 14, 15, 24 and 41.

The Gold Coast team will be given access to the cream of the players who missed out on the 2009 national draft — a substantial group of players, according to the clubs — because their 18th birthdays fell between January 1 and April 30, 2010.

Numerically, that represents a third of what would have been the new player pool for 2009.

If the Gold Coast team is unable to either persuade those teenagers to sign with them in 2009, it will be able to draft many of them the following year, when it holds picks 1-5, 14, 15, 24 and 41.

An almost identical set of rules — including the 10 17-year-olds — is proposed for Western Sydney in 2010-2011. It would have picks 1-5, 15, 16 (due to the extra club), 25 and 42.

Under the proposal, which several clubs have seen:

■The Gold Coast will be given a 10% higher salary cap for its first five years, with Western Sydney given an additional 20% — similar to the Swans — for its first five seasons. The Brisbane Lions had a 10% allowance at one stage, which was removed after pressure from Melbourne clubs following their run of three premierships.

■Both clubs will be given the opportunity to sign up to 10 uncontracted players before they enter the competition, plus they will have picks one and two in the pre-season draft — in practice, that means they could each snare a dozen uncontracted players.

■The Gold Coast will begin warehousing the best Queensland talent at the end of 2008, when it will be allowed to list 15 Queenslanders from outside of the draft. It is presumed that these players will play in the TAC Cup competition with a team that could be coached by Michael Voss, the favourite to coach the 17th club.

■The Gold Coast club will also be given three years in which to remove the best Queensland talent from the system. After its 2008 selection of Queenslanders, it will be allowed the pick of the Sunshine State again in 2009 (15 players) and five from its home state plus five from the Northern Territory in 2010.

While many clubs can see opportunities for trading with the Gold Coast and Western Sydney and are formulating five-year plans to deal with the radically changed landscape, there is acceptance that the expansion rules will benefit some clubs with stronger young lists and damage others.

Desipura
01-05-2008, 09:13 AM
The first thing that come to me was how old are Mitchell Wallis and Tom Liberatore and will they be good enough to play AFL. Im guessing by 2010, they will be eligible to nominate which would be very handy as alot of the talent will be taken by the 2 new franchises.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2008, 11:24 AM
By the looks of how it's going to be set up, these teams may be able to become pretty damn competitive in the first 3 years if all goes smoothly.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 12:11 PM
In 1987 WC got a heap of local kids at once and won premierships in 92 & 94, their 6th and 8th seasons.

In 1990 Adelaide got a heap of local kids at once and won premierships in 97 & 98, their 7th & 8th seasons.

In 96 Port got a heap of local kids at once and won the premiership in 2004, their 8th season (after choking the previous year or two).

Anyone want to get on for a Gold Coast premiership around 2017?

westdog54
01-05-2008, 01:37 PM
In 1987 WC got a heap of local kids at once and won premierships in 92 & 94, their 6th and 8th seasons.

In 1990 Adelaide got a heap of local kids at once and won premierships in 97 & 98, their 7th & 8th seasons.

In 96 Port got a heap of local kids at once and won the premiership in 2004, their 8th season (after choking the previous year or two).

How did the Bears go with their early recruiting? Did they get a similar deal to the Eagles? I know the talent pool would have been nowhere near as deep.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I like how they drafting all these rules for the Gold Coast/West Sydney when neither have got a stadium yet, a supporter base or any idea how they will work.

Cart before the horse stuff.

Sedat
01-05-2008, 02:26 PM

And Freo.....the less said, the better. They also got a stack of local talent but urinated it down the drain. After 6-8 seasons they were collecting priority picks. Terrible club.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
How did the Bears go with their early recruiting? Did they get a similar deal to the Eagles? I know the talent pool would have been nowhere near as deep.

Everyone had to give the Bears the worst player they had on their list.

It took a while but they did get to pick any Queenslanders they wanted - Voss, Akermanis, Keating.

This team seems to be getting the best of everything - top draft picks, anyone they can pinch from other clubs and all the Queenslander and Territorians.

Very generous I would have thought.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Best of everything only because the AFL know neither team will have a soul.
No chance of hard earned success as these 2 team have to good straight away as no one will go.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I was speaking to our NSW branch mamanger today. He is actively campagning his local council to get the AFL posts removed from his local park.

"They never get used and we wouldn't want to encourage them anyway".

This is the kind of mindset the AFL will never beat.

It will take the AFL 30 years of massive subsidies for West Sydney to even stand a chance.

The new club should be known as Demetriou's Follies.

hujsh
01-05-2008, 04:53 PM
The first thing that come to me was how old are Mitchell Wallis and Tom Liberatore and will they be good enough to play AFL. Im guessing by 2010, they will be eligible to nominate which would be very handy as alot of the talent will be taken by the 2 new franchises.

The one in U-16's? My mate played his team and asked if he's good. He said he's awesome. I asked if he's AFL good. He said no way.

Don't take it as gospel though. Guys like Cal Ward wasn't even playing Jets at that age i think so anything can happen. But don't get too excited.

Sockeye Salmon
02-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Both have just been named in the Vic Metro U16 team.

ledge
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Im sure the AFL will come up with some new rule to stop us getting them and Ayce Cordy when they see its us that might benefit.

Sockeye Salmon
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Back on topic.

Here's my way of getting players to the new clubs.

1. Give them every 2nd pick in the national draft (1,3,5,7,9 etc)
2. Tell them to trade

They can't simply offer crap picks because the new "all in the national draft" rule means someone else will pick that player up - they must offer reasonable picks.

westdog54
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I was speaking to our NSW branch mamanger today. He is actively campagning his local council to get the AFL posts removed from his local park.

"They never get used and we wouldn't want to encourage them anyway".

This is the kind of mindset the AFL will never beat.

It will take the AFL 30 years of massive subsidies for West Sydney to even stand a chance.

The new club should be known as Demetriou's Follies.

Having in-laws in Sydney's west I can vouch for this type of attitude towards Australian Rules Football in the city in general.

Topdog
02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I like how they drafting all these rules for the Gold Coast/West Sydney when neither have got a stadium yet, a supporter base or any idea how they will work.

Cart before the horse stuff.

Very much so. This is not going to work well esp. in West Sydney.

ledge
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
It still confuses me how Tassie never gets a go, an AFL state, wouldnt have to put half the money in they have to in Sydney and its a good breeding ground, (apart from Jesse Wells)

Sockeye Salmon
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
WHAT ABOUT MY REALLY GOOD IDEA?

Why does the AFL have to make it so difficult and comprimised?

Back on topic.

Here's my way of getting players to the new clubs

2. Tell them to trade

They can't simply offer crap picks because the new "all in the national draft" rule means someone else will pick that player up - they must offer reasonable picks.

Desipura
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
The one in U-16's? My mate played his team and asked if he's good. He said he's awesome. I asked if he's AFL good. He said no way.

Don't take it as gospel though. Guys like Cal Ward wasn't even playing Jets at that age i think so anything can happen. But don't get too excited.
Did not expect anyone to know for sure whether a kid is capable of playing AFL at the age of 15-16. Playing for Vic Metro u16's is a good starting point.

gohardorgohome
02-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Western Sydney is the worst part of Australia.

Take four or five of the worst suburbs of Melbourne. Then make this 30km x 30 km and you've got it.

They'll find it hard to attract quality mature aged players. I'd hate to live there.

They have no interest in AFL it will take 30-40 years to take off if it ever does.

LostDoggy
02-05-2008, 08:14 PM
They have no interest in AFL it will take 30-40 years to take off if it ever does.
I agree and I think that a Tasmanian team in the AFL would be much more succesfull financialy, than a team in an area where everyone hates footy like Western Sydney.

DOG GOD
02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I agree and I think that a Tasmanian team in the AFL would be much more succesfull financialy, than a team in an area where everyone hates footy like Western Sydney.

I agree, however IF tassie were to get a team in the AFL, WHO would barrack for them and drop their own club? I sure as hell wouldnt. Ive spoken to many people about this as i live in tassie and i would say that 95% said they wouldnt change their AFL club of choice to follow tassie.

Sockeye Salmon
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree, however IF tassie were to get a team in the AFL, WHO would barrack for them and drop their own club? I sure as hell wouldnt. Ive spoken to many people about this as i live in tassie and i would say that 95% said they wouldnt change their AFL club of choice to follow tassie.

Maybe not, but you'll go when Tassie plays the Dogs and maybe once or twice just to watch a game of footy with a few mates who have a local interest.

Your kids might follow them, though, and I reckon if they were in the finals you'd be interested in how they went.

They'd have a better chance of winning over the locals than West Sydney would.

LostDoggy
02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Disagree.
Its already happened in WA and SA. No problem there changing alliances.

FrediKanoute
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe not, but you'll go when Tassie plays the Dogs and maybe once or twice just to watch a game of footy with a few mates who have a local interest.

Your kids might follow them, though, and I reckon if they were in the finals you'd be interested in how they went.

They'd have a better chance of winning over the locals than West Sydney would.

Its not about winning over the locals though. The point of a West Sydney team is an excuse to have a live game every week in Australia's biggest city and hence have an excuse to beam a Sydney based game on TV - the TV revenues alone from another Sydney team make the club viable.

The choice of West Sydney as a market is purely something to appease the Swans who have been adopted largely by the Eastern Suburbs set and also because given time and saturation the West will be won over and probably a lot quicker than 30 to 40 years. It took Sth Melbourne about 15 years to get a solid foothold in the Sydney market. It took another 10 or so years for them to become successful.

As for the concessions package, its VERY generous to both teams and will severely affect those clubs bottoming out during those years. 2009 to 2012 are not the years you want to be rebuilding. However as someone alluded to earlier the new clubs will be expected to trade for contracted players. The key for us will be to ensure that all players are signed up during those years and are not coming out of contract, because it would be terrible to lose a Cooney, Ray, Griff, Will etc for no compensation.

westdog54
03-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Back on topic.

2. Tell them to trade

WHAT ABOUT MY REALLY GOOD IDEA?

Why does the AFL have to make it so difficult and comprimised?

Interesting...

So would they only get 38 (or is a list 40?) picks, up to pick 75 for example, and from there on they are on they're own until they've put together a playing list?

Sockeye Salmon
03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Interesting...

So would they only get 38 (or is a list 40?) picks, up to pick 75 for example, and from there on they are on they're own until they've put together a playing list?

Give them every second pick to 200 if you like, I wouldn't care.

They offer picks 19 and 43 for Mitch Hahn.

Clubs would have to trade with them or they will basically be locked out of that years draft.

westdog54
03-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Give them every second pick to 200 if you like, I wouldn't care.

They offer picks 19 and 43 for Mitch Hahn.

Clubs would have to trade with them or they will basically be locked out of that years draft.

But essentialy they're allowed to keep picking until they've filled their list, but what they do with those picks is up to them?

I think the idea has merit.

Raw Toast
03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Back on topic.

2. Tell them to trade

I like it. Why don't you email the idea to Angry?

If both clubs are coming in at the same time (now considered unlikely I think), then they still have every fourth pick, and other clubs will still have to trade with them.

What would happen if it was considered a pretty thin draft, without much depth in talent?

LostDoggy
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
In the case of the Gold Coast they will get four first round selections then four in the second round and I'd bet that they will be given access to the local QLD players a season before they officially enter. I would think they will also be given the first two selections in the preseason draft.

westdog54
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I like it. Why don't you email the idea to Angry?

If both clubs are coming in at the same time (now considered unlikely I think), then they still have every fourth pick, and other clubs will still have to trade with them.

What would happen if it was considered a pretty thin draft, without much depth in talent?

Then recruiting managers will be made to earn their money, simple as that.

If its a shallow draft its a shallow draft. The young talent of that year is going to be pillaged by the new teams as it is.