PDA

View Full Version : Round 7

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I know round 7 hasn't been completed yet but after 6.5 rounds I think this is about the best season I can remember for close games.
I don't like the Tigers but they have provided a fair bit of enjoyment in the last few weeks with their tight games but in essence there has been so many this season. Even our first outing for the season against the Crows was a real arm wrestle.

Forget about all the little distractions of time clocks etc, how have you rated the competition as a whole as a spectator?

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 10:42 AM
As a whole no different from last year.
Individually.
How much are the Pies overated?
Not convinced Richmond have turned the corner, a heavy reliance of on an aging Richo. Still to idiots at the top there.
WC have given up.
Saints not a top 4 side. Will scrap in the 8 at best.
Carlton are overated. Beaten no one and talked up.
Brisbane aren't too bad but lack many 1 or 2 more stars.
Geelong and Hawks are moving along nicely but certainly aren't unbeatable.
Knight's game plan has exposed Essendon for a lack of talent.
Our test is today. If we win we are the real deal.

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 10:52 AM
But what about the close contests Ernie ? I can't recall a start to the season like this for ages. Heaps of close games and not the constant thumpings that we often see.

1eyedog
04-05-2008, 10:56 AM
The games have been great, last weeks North-Swans draw was a cracker as was last nights and the Bulldog-Crows game was a great viewing spectacle as well. Certainly better than seeing drubbings every week. Get ready for the Bombers-Power draw at the dome today

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 11:48 AM
But what about the close contests Ernie ? I can't recall a start to the season like this for ages. Heaps of close games and not the constant thumpings that we often see.
The actual football interests me less and less every year.

Not sure if there much diference to other years in terms of close games.
We had thrashing yesterday and a few the week before.

Now we have a mickey mouse game instead of more real games.

GVGjr
04-05-2008, 12:01 PM
The actual football interests me less and less every year.

Not sure if there much diference to other years in terms of close games.
We had thrashing yesterday and a few the week before.

Now we have a mickey mouse game instead of more real games.

If I understand the question correctly I think you might be confusing the standard of the game with the number of close contests we have seen so far. I must say that it is good to watch so many games that are still in the balance in the last few minutes.

The Underdog
04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
One thing is it seems that games on the whole are higher scoring. After the constant flooding debate and how it would lead to the ruin of the game the upside of the upsurge in rotations seems to be more open free flowing football (except the Swans). There has already been some excellent close games as you say Sunshine. The demise of Melbourne and West Coast aside, it's pretty even between 3 and 14.
On the downside it's shaping up as a 2 horse race, the Hawks and Geelong way ahead of the pack at this point, however it's a long season and a few injuries here or there can change the shape of things. Also the umpiring or more specifically the rules in place (hands in the back, soft behind the play frees) have led to a different kind of game and a rise in faking, diving and general skullduggery.

And Ern, as for Knights game plan being exposed for lack of talent, they seem to me to be kind of where we were at about 3 years ago. They can't afford injuries to their top players which is exactly what they've had. Lucas would have helped a lot and I know you don't rate McVeigh, but he was BOG in our game when he did his hammy. As their depth gets better and they gain experience I think you'll find the game plan will be ok and they'll be a dangerous team again fairly soon.

mjp
04-05-2008, 12:36 PM
And Ern, as for Knights game plan being exposed for lack of talent, they seem to me to be kind of where we were at about 3 years ago. They can't afford injuries to their top players which is exactly what they've had. Lucas would have helped a lot and I know you don't rate McVeigh, but he was BOG in our game when he did his hammy. As their depth gets better and they gain experience I think you'll find the game plan will be ok and they'll be a dangerous team again fairly soon.

The Bombers gameplan is a disaster. They are conceding WAY too many points - if the only way you can win is by kicking 20 goals per week, you are going to lose more often than not. I am tired of Knights talking about getting them to play the 'right' way - what does that even mean? I would suggest that of all the modern teams, Sydney play the 'right' way - do they ever play a game that doesn't come down to the wire? (Even Geelong only got away from them in the last quarter).

The Underdog
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
The Bombers gameplan is a disaster. They are conceding WAY too many points - if the only way you can win is by kicking 20 goals per week, you are going to lose more often than not. I am tired of Knights talking about getting them to play the 'right' way - what does that even mean? I would suggest that of all the modern teams, Sydney play the 'right' way - do they ever play a game that doesn't come down to the wire? (Even Geelong only got away from them in the last quarter).

Yeah I concede that they can't stop teams, but it's kind of what i meant when I said they were like us a few years ago. We could kick loads of goals but couldn't stop teams. That side of our game is gradually developing as I think theirs will. The issue they will have is players stepping up when Fletcher and a few older players go. I think it's tough to write him off when he's had 7 games and at no point had his best team on the park.

As for Sydney, yes they play the right way as far as discipline and doing the team things, however if any team is ever going to win by keeping a game at 0-0 until the last minute and scoring a goal to win it'll be them. They are interesting to watch but their focus is often on keeping the contest close until the end and giving themselves a chance that way.

GVGjr
04-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I know round 7 hasn't been completed yet but after 6.5 rounds I think this is about the best season I can remember for close games.
I don't like the Tigers but they have provided a fair bit of enjoyment in the last few weeks with their tight games but in essence there has been so many this season. Even our first outing for the season against the Crows was a real arm wrestle.

Forget about all the little distractions of time clocks etc, how have you rated the competition as a whole as a spectator?

Well round 7 is almost completed and it was a good game of football today between the Bulldogs and Swans and another close game and terrific contest was played.

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Well round 7 is almost completed and it was a good game of football today between the Bulldogs and Swans and another close game and terrific contest was played.

Only made close by some poor umpiring against us and poor late play by Eagleton.
6 minutes to go 30 points, it should have been finished.
The umpiring kept them in it all day.

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
great win for the dogs, good to kick pretty accurate .................unlike the swans but the umpiring was terrible we woulda won by more if the umpires were fair

GVGjr
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM

6 point win for the Dees as well. The spectators are getting a fair run for their money.

mjp
04-05-2008, 06:41 PM
And Essendon getting destroyed by Port. At what point are serious questions going to be asked about the Bombers?

Mofra
04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
And Essendon getting destroyed by Port. At what point are serious questions going to be asked about the Bombers?

The journos tend to be 2-3 weeks behind the supporters these days. Think most people have been asking questions since last week.

LostDoggy
04-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Knights needs some of Terry Wallace's spin.

The Coon Dog
04-05-2008, 07:23 PM
How good was Melbourne's comeback today? 51 points down & gone for all money. Freo might cop the blowtorch in the WA media.

GVGjr
04-05-2008, 07:28 PM
How good was Melbourne's comeback today? 51 points down & gone for all money. Freo might cop the blowtorch in the WA media.

And so they should. I'm not a fan of Mark Harvey and he has a squad capable of doing far better than they are.

Mofra
04-05-2008, 09:41 PM

That there is the kindest assessment possible. In the fishbowl media way out West they will cop an absolute shelacking, and many of even their staunchest fans will say "and rightly so".

mjp
04-05-2008, 09:42 PM
And so they should. I'm not a fan of Mark Harvey and he has a squad capable of doing far better than they are.

I am a bit concerned though. The last two weeks they have clearly played very well at times - 39 points up on Geelong, 51 on Melbourne - yet found a way to lose. We have them next...I wouldn't like to count on a third collapse.

Harvey will be largely saved the blowtorch because of West Coast's struggles. They barely rate a mention in the press in this town.

Big Dog
04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Problem with the Freo v Dees result is that a Freo trip is our next assignment in 2 weeks time...Harvey and the players will be under a huge amount of pressure in the game against us from a result like that today.

1eyedog
04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Yep the onus will be all on the Dockers performing. They'll struggle with that, particularly playing us considering our record this season.