PDA

View Full Version : 2007 season predicted match-ups?

GVGjr
08-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I would be interested to hear who everyone thinks would be the best match-up on the following players and why?

Adam Goodes?

Lance Franklin?

Aaron Davey

Matthew Pavlich

Ben Cousins

Scott Lucas?

Brett Deledio?

Nathan Brown?

Gary Ablett Jnr?

Luke Power?

Jonathon Brown?

bulldogtragic
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Adam Goodes? - Sam Power/Morris

Lance Franklin? - Morris/Wight

Aaron Davey - Robbins/McMahon

Matthew Pavlich - Morris/Grant

Ben Cousins - Aker/Higgins

Scott Lucas? - Harris/Morris

Brett Deledio? - Cross/Aker

Nathan Brown? - Griffen/Gilbee

Gary Ablett Jnr? - Griffen/Higgins

Luke Power? - Aker/Cross

Jonathon Brown? Grant/Harris

Go_Dogs
08-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Adam Goodes? - Boyd - Good motor, hard at the contest, and not too bad overhead for a smaller bloke. Him or Cross.

Lance Franklin? - Wight - I think Wight would be good as he has a height advantage - but isn't losing much against Franklin as far as mobility and agility. Both are also young.

Aaron Davey - Morris.

Matthew Pavlich - Harris

Ben Cousins - Griffen

Scott Lucas? - Harris

Brett Deledio? - Eagleton

Nathan Brown? - Morris

Gary Ablett Jnr? - Griffen

Luke Power? - Sam Power

Jonathon Brown? - Harris

Dry Rot
08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Interesting that Grant and Wight get each mentioned once. Begs the question re CHB? eg if say Harris takes Lucas who takes Lloyd?

Go_Dogs
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Morris would be my vote.

westdog54
08-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Adam Goodes? - Boyd - Good motor, hard at the contest, and not too bad overhead for a smaller bloke. Him or Cross.

Lance Franklin? - Wight - I think Wight would be good as he has a height advantage - but isn't losing much against Franklin as far as mobility and agility. Both are also young.

Aaron Davey - Morris.

Matthew Pavlich - Harris

Ben Cousins - Griffen

Scott Lucas? - Harris

Brett Deledio? - Eagleton

Nathan Brown? - Morris

Gary Ablett Jnr? - Griffen

Luke Power? - Sam Power

Jonathon Brown? - Harris

Davey and Morris, my mouth drools at the display of speed that this contest will bring.

Power v Power would be a show and a half.

Ablett v Griffen, I can see this being a bit of a rivalry for a few years after their first meeting. Griff had a day out that day IIRC

LostDoggy
08-02-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a feeling that Morris will get a few of the defensive match ups

Adam Goodes? - Ryan Hargrave - Shaggy is a very good runner and quick off the mark and Goodes is unlikely to hurt him in the air. Morris would be option number two.
If Goodes moves into the ruck then we don't have anyone who can run with him.

Lance Franklin? - I would try Ryan Griffen here. Franklin is a speed machine for someone so tall but is slack defensively. Griffen can hurt him and create opportunities. Morris could curb him as well

Aaron Davey? - Dale Morris - I would give Morris the first option but it depend who else plays up forward. I see a Morris/Davey match up as an offensive one for us. The second option would be McMahon who has been tried before with varying levels of success.

Matthew Pavlich? - This has to be Harris. Pavlich is one of the competitions powerhouse forwards but he can run and play up the ground. Grant would be my second choice providing it was after half time when Pav might have tierd a bit.

Ben Cousins? - Giansiracusa - It's time for some of these guys to step up and challenge some of the best players in the comp. Gia needs to prove that he can do a lock down role. I rate Eagleton as someone else who could be used on Cousins.

Scott Lucas? - Chris Grant - Grant can play effectively against Lucas and I think this is a good match up for us. With Harris required for Lloyd, Morris becomes the next candidate

Brett Deledio? - Ryan Griffen without question. I look forward to seeing these guys go head to head. Sam Power would be an effective option as well.

Nathan Brown? - Dale Morris - Brown should get back to close to his best and we need to curb him. Morris is the ideal match up. Gilbee would be my next choice. We have tried Rob Murphy before on him before without success. We need players with a hard edge.

Gary Ablett Jnr? - Gilbee is the man for GA jnr. Griff has done the job before but it's time for him to tackle even bigger assignments

Luke Power? - Boyd is the best option to curb one of Brisbanes prime movers. I'd like to experiment with Farren Ray as a run with option as well.

Jonathon Brown? - Brian Harris - There is no doubt that Harris is the best match up here. Brown at his best is simply awesome and Grant or Hargrave are the next best options.

Dry Rot
09-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a feeling that Morris will get a few of the defensive match ups

Adam Goodes? - Ryan Hargrave - Shaggy is a very good runner and quick off the mark and Goodes is unlikely to hurt him in the air. Morris would be option number two.
If Goodes moves into the ruck then we don't have anyone who can run with him.

Lance Franklin? - I would try Ryan Griffen here. Franklin is a speed machine for someone so tall but is slack defensively. Griffen can hurt him and create opportunities. Morris could curb him as well

Aaron Davey? - Dale Morris - I would give Morris the first option but it depend who else plays up forward. I see a Morris/Davey match up as an offensive one for us. The second option would be McMahon who has been tried before with varying levels of success.

Matthew Pavlich? - This has to be Harris. Pavlich is one of the competitions powerhouse forwards but he can run and play up the ground. Grant would be my second choice providing it was after half time when Pav might have tierd a bit.

Ben Cousins? - Giansiracusa - It's time for some of these guys to step up and challenge some of the best players in the comp. Gia needs to prove that he can do a lock down role. I rate Eagleton as someone else who could be used on Cousins.

Scott Lucas? - Chris Grant - Grant can play effectively against Lucas and I think this is a good match up for us. With Harris required for Lloyd, Morris becomes the next candidate

Brett Deledio? - Ryan Griffen without question. I look forward to seeing these guys go head to head. Sam Power would be an effective option as well.

Nathan Brown? - Dale Morris - Brown should get back to close to his best and we need to curb him. Morris is the ideal match up. Gilbee would be my next choice. We have tried Rob Murphy before on him before without success. We need players with a hard edge.

Gary Ablett Jnr? - Gilbee is the man for GA jnr. Griff has done the job before but it's time for him to tackle even bigger assignments

Luke Power? - Boyd is the best option to curb one of Brisbanes prime movers. I'd like to experiment with Farren Ray as a run with option as well.

Jonathon Brown? - Brian Harris - There is no doubt that Harris is the best match up here. Brown at his best is simply awesome and Grant or Hargrave are the next best options.

Again no mention of Wight.

Re the taller opponents above, if the suggested match-ups eventauated, what would Wight be doing on the field?

And would any of you revise your thoufghts if Pask was available?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Adam Goodes: Ryan Hargrave or Daniel Cross. IMO Hargrave could match it with Goodes in pace & height. Body wise probably too. The few times Hargrave has played up the ground, I thought he's done well. I think he'd be a viable option. If not, Daniel Cross would seem the most likely.

Lance Franklin: Cameron Wight. It's about time we give Wight some responsibility. He's not going to learn or improve if he's not playing on quality players. I think Franklin would be a nice test for him. Wight's taller, but Franklin is a little bigger. Both mobile, and young, so I think it's a matter of giving Wight the job and seeing what he can dish up.

Aaron Davey: Jordan McMahon. I'd give Jordy first crack if Davey is playing as a HFF. I think Jordy could kill Davey on the rebound. IF Davey plays deep, I think you'd have to assign Morris.

Matthew Pavlich: Brian Harris. He's their best forward, and Harris is supposed to be our best back. I would be disappointed if Harris was again assigned the second/third talls in sides this year. He needs to improve and we need him to take the likes of Pavlich. You can't expect Morris, Grant or Wight to do it. Harris is the man.

Ben Cousins: Matthew Boyd or Ryan Griffen. Boyd because he's a versatile midfielder with a big body and a good engine. he could keep up with Cousins and make it hard for him. He's hard at it, a good tackler, a good mark, good skills and whilst not fast he's not slow either. I think it'd be an interesting match-up. Otherwise, I'd LOVE to see Griffen get the job. Griffen has all the tools to match it with Cousins, and arguably more to hurt Ben offensively. Ryan's defensive game is very good and I think he'd strive off playing on Cousins etc.

Scott Lucas: Yet again, Cameron Wight. He might be a bit out of size, but I just think Wight has got to be thrown to quality forwards. He matches Lucas with height & mobility. Let's see how Wight combats the few kg's difference. Like Franklin, it's a good test to see where Wight is at after a pre-season. If he can't do it, you turn to Grant or Hargrave. Morris was beaten (IMO) by him last year in R22.

Brett Deledio: Akermanis, Cooney or Griffen. Take your pick. First two are explosive midfielders who could tear Deledio a new one if he's not concentrating, particuarly Aker, whilst Griffen is able to match it defensively with Lids but at the same time able to hurt Lids with his run & carry of the football. It depends. If you want to possibly exploit Deledio, going with Aker could be a deadly option. If you want to contain Lids but likewise have just as much (or more) offense, then Griffen is suitable. Either work fine.

Nathan Brown: Dale Morris. Brown doesn't like to have 'glue-like' opponents and I think Morris would be able to frustrate him. Morris would be too good in the 1-on-1's IMO, and would be able to keep up at ground level. Brown's intelligence might always see him kick his 1 or 2 goals but I think Morris could contain him pretty well. After all, Morris has been able to blanket players of a higher profile than Brown.

Gary Ablett Jnr: I think Ablett is a bit too slippery for Morris. He was able to lose Dale in traffic a few times in Round 3. Griffen is the perfect match though. He's much bigger than Ablett, but he's more then capable of beating Ablett at ground level. He's had Ablett's measure a few times and been able to run him down from behind, something few players do. Griffen's also got the intelligence to not let Ablett slip under the guard so to speak. His body is very flexible, and I reckon this is why Griffen is able to hurt Ablett because he's got everything.

Luke Power: I'd like to see Sam Power given the job first up. Whilst I think Sam is more value as a HFF, I think it'd be an interesting match-up and one worth trying. If that fails, Gilbee is a candidate.

Jonathon Brown: Harris. See the Pav paragraph, because the exact same applies for Brown. Harris must take the giants if we're any chance of a Premiership. No way in hell can you put Morris, Hargrave etc. on Brown, Pavlich. Just won't win you a Premiership.

LostDoggy
09-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Again no mention of Wight.

Re the taller opponents above, if the suggested match-ups eventauated, what would Wight be doing on the field?

And would any of you revise your thoufghts if Pask was available?

I don't understand the first question about Wight?
I have supplied a detailed response of the best match ups as I see them. The list contains a mixture of gun talls or dynamic smalls and right at this moment Wights best value is against the 3rd tall forward.
This doesn't diminish his overall value as a tall defender but against this list I think we have better match ups. If there was a mention of Kosi or Leigh Brown then yes he would have been an option. Against quality players we have better defensive options
I could have said he was an option against Pavlich but it would make it right would it?

Right at this moment Pask isn't in the mix as far as I am concerned. He has been OK at training but Wight has been a lot better.

Hope this makes sense

bornadog
09-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Looks like we need ten Morris's and we will be right

dog town
10-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Cousins would run Griffen into the ground. Just about the hardest runner going around right now. Best bet for Cousins is either Cross or Guido as far as im concerned although the eagles have others I would tag first.

Morris did a good job on Pavlich last year so I see no reason to change that. Pav would give Harris the run around I reckon.

Mofra
10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Adam Goodes? - Griffen could be given a shot, Wight has the endurance, but Shaggy would be first pick.

Lance Franklin? Griffen, pace & freakish ability. Need to hurt him on teh rebound rather than just negate his influence

Aaron Davey D-Mac or Addison; McMahon would be second choice.

Matthew Pavlich Wight first up, the Morris

Ben Cousins Gilbee, would make him accountable of HFF

Scott Lucas? Wight first up, Morris if he is beaten

Brett Deledio? Griffen. Decide who was better once & for all.

Nathan Brown? McMahon. Hurt him on the rebound, Morris would be better utilised on one of their mid-size forwards

Gary Ablett Jnr? Griffen beat him before, I would expect an Addison type to be getting a game by this stage. Boyd could do it but would be better suited to someone stronger. Might be a waste of Boydy's endurance advantage.

Luke Power? Aker, knows his game inside & out

Jonathon Brown? Grant has the strength, Wight teh endurance. Harris if he plays deep.

Go_Dogs
11-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Some interesting selections there Morfa. You think Dmac would have the pace to go with Davey?

Good to see some Wight nominations too. He'll be in for a good year I think.

Mofra
11-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I thought D-Mac did pretty well at the MCG game against him, more of a tagging, negating role though. The only players really quick enough to go wiuth guys like Davey you tend to have as attacking options or ball winners in their on right anyway.

Wighty seemed to finish off the year in a similar fasion that Crossy finished off 04, relly looked like he believed he was a vital part of the team. A guy that big with his motor is a real asset down back, simply because if Harris is getting beaten or we are stretched for height, we now have a plan B & C to change things around.

LostDoggy
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Nathan Brown? - Dale Morris - Brown should get back to close to his best and we need to curb him. Morris is the ideal match up. Gilbee would be my next choice..

Yeah that would be a great match-up either Morris or Gilbee on Brown would do the trick. Both would be more than ideal.

GVGjr
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah that would be a great match-up either Morris or Gilbee on Brown would do the trick. Both would be more than ideal.

I'd like to see Gilbee have a crack at Brown. Gilbee can go with him pace wise but if Brown didn't try and watch him when we had the ball Gilbee could really hurt him with his long kicks.

LostDoggy
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd like to see Gilbee have a crack at Brown. Gilbee can go with him pace wise but if Brown didn't try and watch him when we had the ball Gilbee could really hurt him with his long kicks.

Yeah that's true and Gilbee would run him around something severe. The advantage we have when we play Brown is most of the Dogs know his game style and could verbally put him off his game so I am sure there will be plenty of planning when we play the Tigers.

Dry Rot
14-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Do we need another Morris style shut down defender if we encounter a small skilful forward line?

Twodogs
14-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Do we need another Morris style shut down defender if we encounter a small skilful forward line?

I think with the gamestyle we play we cant afford anyone else with Morris's disposal skills. Not that I'm having a ping at him but if we did go for one more lock down type, he's going to have to be able to use the ball well.

Go_Dogs
14-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Very true. Morris is useful as he can just negate the most dangerous forward going around in the opposition structure, w/o having to worry too much about his disposal and creativity. Our game plan essentially needs those half back players with speed and flashy skills as they set up a lot of our play, and taking them away / replacing them, would have a pretty big impact on our run and drive from the backline.