PDA

View Full Version : Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde

Dry Rot
05-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Can anyone explain how we played in say our first quarters v Saints and v Swans and then in the second quarters?

Totally different team.

We'll need 4 quarters of good footy to beat the Cats or Hawks.

1eyedog
05-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Can anyone explain how we played in say our first quarters v Saints and v Swans and then in the second quarters?

Totally different team.

Yes interesting point, we need to find 4 quarter consistency. Against better teams like the Saints and the Swans is it possible that the modern game just ebbs and flows that way? Some may call it momentum. If this is the case why do the Cats seem to always have the momentum? Do we just not stick to the game plan for four quarters?

The Coon Dog
05-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Depends on the type of 'Rocket' they receive!

westdog54
05-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Yes interesting point, we need to find 4 quarter consistency. Against better teams like the Saints and the Swans is it possible that the modern game just ebbs and flows that way? Some may call it momentum. If this is the case why do the Cats seem to always have the momentum? Do we just not stick to the game plan for four quarters?

Do they? Maybe last year but the field is catching up.

Against Brisbane on Saturday they allowed the Lions a bit of a jump-start, both around the field and on the scoreboard. And in the end they didn't really put them away. They got out of jail big-time against Freo, and the Swans pressed them for all bar the first quarter and half of the last.

Its Hawthorn that worries me when you talk about momentum. By all accounts they were magnificent on Saturday against a worthy opponent.

The Doctor
05-05-2008, 07:31 AM
It is very difficult, almost impossible, to dominate a fellow strong club like Sydney for 4 quarters.

Other good sides will have their periods of control or dominance in a game. Sometimes it comes down to who wrests more control or who does more on the scoreboard during that control.

1eyedog
05-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Do they? Maybe last year but the field is catching up.

Against Brisbane on Saturday they allowed the Lions a bit of a jump-start, both around the field and on the scoreboard. And in the end they didn't really put them away. They got out of jail big-time against Freo, and the Swans pressed them for all bar the first quarter and half of the last.

Its Hawthorn that worries me when you talk about momentum. By all accounts they were magnificent on Saturday against a worthy opponent.

Ok I agree that Geelong have been tested this year, but just look at how long during a game (% wise) Geelong has been in front this season, so far above everyone else and I don't rate Collingwood, think they are horribly overrated and will be lucky to make the finals IMO.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2008, 09:27 AM
The fact was that for all of Sydney's dominance in the first qtr we refused to go away and the lead never blew out to massive proportions. Against St Kilda however it did - and against teams that can quickly pile on the goals like Geelong and Hawthorn it will too.

We need to work on our focus for the first qtr, w/o doubt. I'm confident we'll run out games as well as any side this year, but you cannot give the other very good quality sides a 5 goal break in the first qtr.

Interestingly enough though, I think we match up very well on both the Hawks and Geelong.

Topdog
05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I think it is our tactics in the first.

We seem to give the opposition far too much room in the first qtr.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I think it is our tactics in the first.

Tactics, or a lack of being switched on? Our pressure was non-existent and people seemed to be unmotivated/lazy. Then BANG, it switches. We need to be switched on from the start.

ledge
05-05-2008, 11:17 AM
If its a 1st quarter problem it might be Eade sorting out match ups, i think thats when your fixing them you might get caught out a bit.
Eade is a very good tactician as we know, maybe he watches the first few minutes to see who is doing what with the opposition players, then makes his moves accordingly.
Just a thought on maybe thats why it happens.

always right
05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
If its a 1st quarter problem it might be Eade sorting out match ups, i think thats when your fixing them you might get caught out a bit.
Eade is a very good tactician as we know, maybe he watches the first few minutes to see who is doing what with the opposition players, then makes his moves accordingly.
Just a thought on maybe thats why it happens.

I had the impression in the first quarter that we were just zoning off players rather than pressuring them one-on-one. I hate it when we zone off. When we harass them, we create turnovers.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I had the impression in the first quarter that we were just zoning off players rather than pressuring them one-on-one. I hate it when we zone off. When we harass them, we create turnovers.

Spot on. The key to our success.

Sedat
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
It is very difficult, almost impossible, to dominate a fellow strong club like Sydney for 4 quarters.

Other good sides will have their periods of control or dominance in a game. Sometimes it comes down to who wrests more control or who does more on the scoreboard during that control.
Agreed. Sydney's dominance in the 3rd quarter was every bit as comprehensive as ours in the 2nd qtr, just that we made them play clinically on the scoreboard. We really were hammered for about 10 minutes before that Cooney steadying goal late in the 3rd, and conversely it only took us about 8 minutes to slam on 5 goals straight when we were a couple of points behind the Swans halfway through the 2nd.

camwoof
05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I noticed from the second quarter onwards against the swans the dogs would move the ball forward everytime to try and break the congestion the swans love. By moving it forward it gave us space for our runners. It was either just get it on the boot or handball it forward. One example was Tim Callan right on the boundary at the half back flank. Most would have thought he would carry the ball over the line but instead he handpassed the ball forward under pressure and we ran it down and kicked a goal. Can be seen as a little risky but it broke us away from the swans.

1eyedog
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Ok I agree that Geelong have been tested this year, but just look at how long during a game (% wise) Geelong has been in front this season, so far above everyone else and I don't rate Collingwood, think they are horribly overrated and will be lucky to make the finals IMO.

I stand corrected. Geelong in front 69% of the time, Hawthorn 77%. We are about 65% I think.

DOG GOD
05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Hawks seem to play consistant 4 qtrs with the ability to dominate one qtr to blow the game away.

Cats havent been in the dominating form they showed towards the end of last year. They seem to have that bit of arrogance that suggests they dont really need to put the foot down to win, and then do when the situation is needed.

Geelong do whats needed to be done to win, and mainly have strong last qtrs.

To beat either team we cant allow lapses in the 1st qtr, as although we may be able to run out a game, we cant allow these sorts of teams to get away to a 4-5 gl lead.

Twodogs
07-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Totally different team.

We simply cant play our preferred brand of footy-the run 'em of their legs type-for four quarters. It's impossible we'd have half a dozen players hooked up to ECGs by 3/4 time if we tried. What we can do now is revert to a gameplan that's less taxing on the players whilst limiting the opposition's scoring. Last year when we were tired sides just ran over the top of us.

It's also a different game these days. Coaches have to anticipate when it's best to have our A team on the field and when it's best to have (say) West, Cooney, Griff and Hudson on the bench resting. Sides naturally are going to get on top when the opposition guns are on the pine.

BTW Geelong are spluttering and coughing at the moment. They are playing like millionares and only bother turning on when they think they are in trouble. Lairising like that is the downfall of good footy teams.

1eyedog
07-05-2008, 11:34 AM
BTW Geelong are spluttering and coughing at the moment. They are playing like millionares and only bother turning on when they think they are in trouble. Lairising like that is the downfall of good footy teams.

Geelong are actually looking more suspect at Skilled Stadium than at the Dome atm and we play them there.

Twodogs
07-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Geelong are actually looking more suspect at Skilled Stadium than at the Dome atm and we play them there.

It's going to be hard for them to ignore taking their publicity seriously. Thers a lot of people in Geelong patting them on the backs and telling them they are the best team ever. The players heads will be too big to fit through the changing room doors. Our own record at TD is pretty good as well. I think it's 12 from the last 14 games or something including 3 of the last 4 V the Cats.