PDA

View Full Version : Father and Son - Wallis and Libba Jnr

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
I can't find the thread so I've started another one.

Mitch Wallis and Thomas Liberatore have been selected for Vic Metro U16's - that's a good sign that they can at least play a bit.

I hear that Mitch Wallis might have broken a leg on the weekend, though.

The Coon Dog
06-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I can't find the thread so I've started another one.

Mitch Wallis and Thomas Liberatore have been selected for Vic Metro U16's - that's a good sign that they can at least play a bit.

I hear that Mitch Wallis might have broken a leg on the weekend, though.

Like father like son!

ledge
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey if he is going to play like his dad glad he did it now and got it out the way, bit like the Coon Pup!

GVGjr
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
The boys were down at training a few times last year as well during the school holidays.

LostDoggy
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Wallis broke his leg a couple of weeks ago

both r guns, Lib got BoG in the final of the national carnival last year

Bumper Bulldogs
06-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Maybe it may be a bit of a danger to take on "Little Libba"

with the club going along just nicely the last thing we need is a "David Cloke & Collingwood" problem

GVGjr
06-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Maybe it may be a bit of a danger to take on "Little Libba"

with the club going along just nicely the last thing we need is a "David Cloke & Collingwood" problem

I don't think this will be a problem

bornadog
07-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Wallis broke his leg a couple of weeks ago

both r guns, Lib got BoG in the final of the national carnival last year

Any idea on the size of these guys?

Mantis
07-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Did anyone see the Psst section in today's Age. Story on young Sam Darcy (Luke's 4yo) and how he was kicked out of Auskick because he is too young. Luke quipped in that he is taller than most of the kids down there.... Only 13 or 14 years to wait until we might see another Darcy in the Bulldog colours.

ledge
07-05-2008, 02:15 PM
1 is short and chubby and 1 is skinny i am guessing

GVGjr
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
1 is short and chubby and 1 is skinny i am guessing

Both aren't overly tall but have very full mops of hair when I last saw them. They were doing a lot of handball drills with the rehab players and looked comfortable. Cath from the Bulldogs Taskforce wrote up a piece about the boys and I might have it somewhere. I'll have to look around for it.

LostDoggy
07-05-2008, 06:13 PM
both similar size and build, wallis is a bit bigger tho.

bornadog
07-05-2008, 06:16 PM
both similar size and build, wallis is a big bigger tho.

Our future midfield:D

bornadog
07-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Did anyone see the Psst section in today's Age. Story on young Sam Darcy (Luke's 4yo) and how he was kicked out of Auskick because he is too young. Luke quipped in that he is taller than most of the kids down there.... Only 13 or 14 years to wait until we might see another Darcy in the Bulldog colours.

That would be unbelievable, as I remember watching David play towards the end of his career, I was in primary school so don't remember alot, but do remember he was a fantastic fullback and stitched up many a full forward in his time, including Hudson and Wade.

Bulldog Revolution
07-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Luke did the right thing by the club also and chose a tall wife (I think)

ledge
08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Another Aked, Edwards clan at the Bulldogs maybe. Pity we didnt get Jake at Carlton or Shane Obree at Collingwood but who knows in the future. What a family tradition that would have been?

Desipura
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Another Aked, Edwards clan at the Bulldogs maybe. Pity we didnt get Jake at Carlton or Shane Obree at Collingwood but who knows in the future. What a family tradition that would have been?
I'll pass on O'Bree. If there has been a player that butchers the ball as well as he, I am yet to see it.

Dancin' Douggy
08-05-2008, 02:08 PM

waiting 13 or 14 years is a walk in the park for Dog's supporters:(

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Didnt say he was any good just thats one hell of a clan if they all played at the one club.
Must be close to the most generations playing from one family.

Desipura
08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Ryan O'Keefe's grandfather played for the Dogs. He would have been handy for us!

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Ryan O'Keefe's grandfather played for the Dogs. He would have been handy for us!

And he was?

The Coon Dog
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
And he was?

Ryan O'Keefe's grandfather!

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Oh his dads dad, that explains it, i am so stupid at times!

alwaysadog
08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
And he was?

Lionel Ryan, an emergency in the 54 Premiership side. If you are interested here is a link to the piece I wrote about him last year. http://http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=563 (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=563)

If the link doesn't work go to the Hawkins Wing and look for a piece called Lionel Ryan 1954-7.

chef
31-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Some stuff on the boys.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/onballer-shows-why-he-heads-draft-lists-20100530-wngk.html

For Metro, Gaff was assisted by Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis, midfielders who will almost certainly cost the Western Bulldogs their first and second-round draft choices this year and be well worth it.

Liberatore's first three quarters were outstanding, his 26 possessions including 12 hardball-gets. Wallis made a quieter start but became more creative and influential as the match wound on.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3020-0-0-0&sID=69677&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12249438

Vic Metro 9.9.63

Vic Country 16.9.105

Goals: Vic Country - Lucas Cook 5, Jed Lamb 4, Devon Smith 3, Tomas Bugg, Tim Northe, Dyson Heppell, Tom Lynch.
Vic Metro - Patrick Karnezis 2, Ben Jacobs 2, Viv Michie 2, Alex Johnson, Thomas Liberatore, Darcy Barden.
Best: Vic Country - Lucas Cook, Devon Smith, Jayden Pitt, Mitchell Hallahan, Jed Lamb, Andrew McGuiness
Vic Metro - Matthew Watson, Andrew Gaff, Thomas Schneider, Cameron Guthrie, Tom Liberatore, Viv Michie

Tom Liberatore had 26 disposals (14 contested)

chef
31-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Can't find a link, but this is what the H/S had to say-

Metro's Liberatore, likely to be snapped up by the Western Bulldogs under the Father-son rule, amassed a game-high 12 hardball-gets to confirm his reputation as one of the toughest midfielders in this years draft.
Liberatore and fellow Bulldogs father-son probable Mitch Wallis both looked ready-made midfielders. The pair who played in last year's Calder Cannons premiership, had 51 touches between them.
"(Liberatore) is one of our inside midfielders who gets a lot of the footy at stoppages, so he's had a really good game" Coach Rohan Welsh said.

Twodogs
31-05-2010, 06:37 PM
My son plays for West Footscray U14s. A month or so ago while I was waiting for his game to start I watched the U10s and this one kid playing for St Bernards was dominating. He was running around picking up kicks for fun and marking everything that came near him-none of the other kids could get near him.

Then halfway through the last quarter he instinctivly ran backwards into a pack, jumped straight up took the mark and then while he was falling backwards he kicked the ball over his shoulder and hit a kid 30 metres away standing in the goal square on the chest.

I asked a St Bernards supporter whether it was to early to sign him to Footscray. He told me it was Oliver Liberatore, Tony's youngest son. The kid can play a bit!

Happy Days
31-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I actually went to the game, and didn't think that much of Wallis' performance; he got a bit of the ball, but was not overly impressive in his use of it. When playing an outside role, you'd want a better performance by foot, which he didn't deliver. I've seen much better out of him though, so I'm not too concerned, and just put it down to an off day.

Libba was great in and under though, not afraid to put his head over it. You could tell he and Wallis had played together a bit; 4 or 5 times it was Libba shooting the handball out of the pack to Mitch, almost as if it were a set play; good signs :)

For the others, Lucas Cook for Country was dominant, could've sworn he kicked more than 5. Guthrie for Metro looked very good too, big boy who can kick. Gaff also goes alright.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I think that Wallis was made captain and this may have affected his normal game plan??? He may do better next week in Tassie.

GVGjr
31-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I think that Wallis was made captain and this may have affected his normal game plan??? He may do better next week in Tassie.

He got a lot of the ball but wasn't one of the best so I'm not sure how the captaincy affected his game.

Mofra
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I asked a St Bernards supporter whether it was to early to sign him to Footscray. He told me it was Oliver Liberatore, Tony's youngest son. The kid can play a bit!
It's a dynasty!

Greystache
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone think it's likely we'll see either of these two play a few games for Williamstown under the 23rd man rule once their school footy commitments are finished?

divvydan
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone think it's likely we'll see either of these two play a few games for Williamstown under the 23rd man rule once their school footy commitments are finished?

Suspect that Williamstown would be aligned with the Western Jets, where as both boys play for Calder Cannons in the TAC. Other thing would be that with school football, TAC Cup games and U-18 Carnival, I'd be loathe to play them in any more matches for fear of having them break down and therefore spending the majority of their first year at the club on the injury list.

Greystache
21-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Young Mitch Wallis broke his hand on the weekend, not sure yet how long it will keep him out yet but it's bad timing with the U18 carnival on.

Mofra
21-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Young Mitch Wallis broke his hand on the weekend, not sure yet how long it will keep him out yet but it's bad timing with the U18 carnival on.
In the long term scheme of things it's better for him to do it now than later. Ideally he'd slip in the draft rankings but it's doubtful.

Greystache
21-06-2010, 11:04 AM
In the long term scheme of things it's better for him to do it now than later. Ideally he'd slip in the draft rankings but it's doubtful.

Yeah somehow I don't think it'll affect his chances of being drafted! :D

dissapointing for him though, it would've been good to get more exposure against the best kids his age. On TAC cup future stars yesterday Terry Wallace and Shifter Sheehan rated him as number 8 in the draft.

Mantis
21-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah somehow I don't think it'll affect his chances of being drafted! :D

dissapointing for him though, it would've been good to get more exposure against the best kids his age. On TAC cup future stars yesterday Terry Wallace and Shifter Sheehan rated him as number 8 in the draft.

It would have been nice for him to finish off the U/18 champ's in good fashion to possibly earn an AA cap, but as per the article last week his main aim is to get drafted to the Bulldogs which is something that in all likelihood will occur.