PDA

View Full Version : 100 goals!

ledge
08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Interesting to look at the goal scorers this year, the AFL probably have 2 players who will kick 100 goals, which hasnt happened in ages and i believe needs to.
They both are at different favours with the umpires.

Franklin an extroadinary player that the umpires do like and he is a player the AFL really would love to see kick them, i havent seen him backchat and also runs around with a smile on his face, maybe arrogance, maybe enjoys his footy.
He plays in a good side and the AFL would love to see this fairytale Hawks story.

Fevola, now heres a man who wears his heart on his sleeve, is a bit of a lout, plays for free kicks, but when in the right frame of mind can beat anyone, back chats to the umpires and i have no doubt doesnt do his chances much good of getting frees .
Plays in a side that has been down for a few years but through illegal circumstances.

Franklin the young up and coming forward, probably the AFL would look at and say heres another Carey type player on field
Fevola the older good footballer, great talent but Carey like off field.

Of course these can only happen if they both continue as they have so far.
Whats the thoughts on both these players?
Who is better if you look at just the footballing abillity?
Do you think the AFL, umpires or both favour one against the other?

1eyedog
08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Interesting to look at the goal scorers this year, the AFL probably have 2 players who will kick 100 goals, which hasnt happened in ages and i believe needs to.
They both are at different favours with the umpires.
Franklin an extroadinary player that the umpires do like and he is a player the AFL really would love to see kick them, i havent seen him backchat and also runs around with a smile on his face, maybe arrogance, maybe enjoys his footy.
He plays in a good side and the AFL would love to see this fairytale Hawks story.
Fevola, now heres a man who wears his heart on his sleeve is a bit of a lout, plays for free kicks,but when in the right frame of mind can beat anyone, back chats to the umpires and i have no doubt doesnt do his chances much good of getting frees .
Plays in a side that has been down for a few years but through illegal circumstances.
Franklin the young up and coming forward, probably the AFL would look at and say heres another Carey type player on field
Fevola the older good footballer, great talent but Carey like off field.
Of course these can only happen if they both continue as they have so far.
Whats the thoughts on both these players?
Who is better if you look at just the footballing abillity?

Just football ability? I would say I'd want Fevola based on that. He's proved himself over a longer period of time than Buddy, to me the jury is still out on Buddy although I think he is going to be a champion player. Fevola remains injury free, is strong on the lead and has exceptional hands. Buddy uses his height in contested marks, Fevola uses his mass. If Fevola was playing at Hawthorn I'd reckon he'd be kicking more goals than Franklin as well. Fevola is a much better kick for goal than Franklin, Buddy will kick 6.1 one week then 1.6 the next week. The Fev will kick 8 straight from limited opportunites and the Blues will still get beat!

ledge
08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Just football ability? I would say I'd want Fevola based on that. He's proved himself over a longer period of time than Buddy, to me the jury is still out on Buddy although I think he is going to be a champion player. Fevola remains injury free, is strong on the lead and has exceptional hands. Buddy uses his height in contested marks, Fevola uses his mass. If Fevola was playing at Hawthorn I'd reckon he'd be kicking more goals than Franklin as well. Fevola is a much better kick for goal than Franklin, Buddy will kick 6.1 one week then 1.6 the next week. The Fev will kick 8 straight from limited opportunites and the Blues will still get beat!

Do you think one is favoured over the other?
I would agree 1eyedog, always loved Fev as a footballer just when he drops his head it effects the whole team because of his talent.
Maybe its because they all look up to him because he is an older player.
Frustration plays a big part in his head dropping and sometimes who can blame him, would love to have seen him with a good side think he would have been a different man outside the club.

1eyedog
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah that's probable, he def needs to set a better example. Both of the aforementioned players are confidence players and neither of them are good defensively. If Fev has his head on right he can be, as he showed a couple of weeks ago with two great tackles inside the forward 50 which resulted in a Blues goal. Fev is only defensive when he wants to be though, it's like he thinks "oh sh*% I've gotta be defensive don't I?" I doesn't seem to be a natural thought. When he is going really well and team mates are looking for him and he is kicking goals is when he is at his defensive best. That's why IMO he is not captain material. Franklin on the other hand does not have a defensive bone in his body. If the ball is not in Franklin's hands forget about it, because unless someone else tries to keep it in the Hawks F50 it comes out. That's why I think that if Fev had of being playing in a more successful team over the past 5 years I think it would have made him a better player, both offensively and defensively and why I would want him in my side before Franklin. Of course a lot of this discussion is pure theory, but it's an interesting discussion.

ledge
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I just wish someone would get a picture of him having a beer in his hand, Carlton has to follow through and sack him if this occurs, i know i would be after him.
Anyone want to shout him one night of free grog?

Dogs Dinna
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
If Scott Clayton was in position at this season's end to recruit one of either Franklin or Fevola, and he chose the latter, I would consider tearing up my membership purely based on the fact this would be a very poor business decision.
The up-side to Lance Franklin is massive. Sure he can play, as can Fev, but Franklin is more than just a great footballer.He is a once in a decade franchise footballer that all clubs crave. He plays an exciting brand of football that attracts the attention of media, fans and the kids. To date, he has hardly had an off-field discretion to speak of, unlike Fev who chalks them up ad nauseum.
Buddy & Fev may well kick 100 goals each this season but it's Buddy's all round package that makes him the better AFL footballer.

ledge
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
If Scott Clayton was in position at this season's end to recruit one of either Franklin or Fevola, and he chose the latter, I would consider tearing up my membership purely based on the fact this would be a very poor business decision.
The up-side to Lance Franklin is massive. Sure he can play, as can Fev, but Franklin is more than just a great footballer.He is a once in a decade franchise footballer that all clubs crave. He plays an exciting brand of football that attracts the attention of media, fans and the kids. To date, he has hardly had an off-field discretion to speak of, unlike Fev who chalks them up ad nauseum.
Buddy & Fev may well kick 100 goals each this season but it's Buddy's all round package that makes him the better AFL footballer.

I see your point and Franklin has a longer life , but players change when going to other clubs, Fev is a crowd puller too and franchise footballer
Its a gamble but when you weigh up they know its theyre last chance and they have matured and lessons learnt, also has a child now. Of course you interview them and see where their minds at.(Akermanis)
Other thing is Franklin isnt going anywhere , maybe Fev was.
Didnt we have a nibble at Fev last year? And Robertson.

1eyedog
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Yes I generally agree, my response was on football ability solely and it was only my opinion on that football ability as well. I would be very nervous if we got Fev to the Bulldogs. I would pick Fev over Franklin in some areas, but when considering all round attributes (on and off the field) Buddy would probably be the way to go. Just want to clarify that:)

1eyedog
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I see your point and Franklin has a longer life , but players change when going to other clubs, Fev is a crowd puller too and franchise footballer
Its a gamble but when you weigh up they know its theyre last chance and they have matured and lessons learnt, also has a child now. Of course you interview them and see where their minds at.(Akermanis)
Other thing is Franklin isnt going anywhere , maybe Fev was.
Didnt we have a nibble at Fev last year? And Robertson.

There was some talk outside the club that we were interested in Fev, the media mainly who thought all we lacked was a big strong lead up forward. Clayton went down on paper pretty quickly saying in his opinion the Bulldogs would probably not be interested if Fev was on the market.

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Dogs Dinna, you would have torn up your membership a lot then. We have made some ripper ones before eg Jakovich, James, Rhode, Hart, to name a few.

The Coon Dog
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
There was some talk outside the club that we were interested in Fev, the media mainly who thought all we lacked was a big strong lead up forward. Clayton went down on paper pretty quickly saying in his opinion the Bulldogs would probably not be interested if Fev was on the market.

It was no more than a meeting where a) Fev (thru his manager) wanted 700K & b) our coaching staff were far from impressed about him as a person.

Topdog
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Fev won't get 100 goals this year but I think Buddy will.

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
It was no more than a meeting where a) Fev (thru his manager) wanted 700K & b) our coaching staff were far from impressed about him as a person.

To me that proves just how much Aker is as a person and shows we have the right people doing the interviews.
This whole club is looking so proffessional on the field and off the field at the moment, must say something for how much rubbish was in the media about the Rose/ Eade so called fiasco, think we will ever see an apology from them?
Well Baz me not knowing the inside of Fevs head as obviously as the interviewers did afterwards, on what you just pointed out if true i would not take him either.
Question is has he changed now? he looks like he has.

Dogs Dinna
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey Dogs Dinna, you would have torn up your membership a lot then. We have made some ripper ones before eg Jakovich, James, Rhode, Hart, to name a few.

Cheers Ledge! Indeed that might seem the case but I think I was actually was excited about each those decisions at the time.(Maybe not Rohde!)
The Royce Hart one turned out to be the greatest stinker of all time - he was going to the man to lead us to riches & glory. One of the greatest players of the modern era turned out to be possibly the worst coach of the modern era!

If I still had my 1980's membership card now I'd tear it up for sure.

ledge
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Rhode, my heart sunk as soon as i heard that one. Royce ? think i was the same after he opened his mouth once.
Buddy still worries me long term though might be injury prone the way he is taped up.
A great full forward is one who kicks 100 in a bottom side.

Topdog
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
If I still had my 1980's membership card now I'd tear it up for sure.

My mate rips up his membership card every year.

Started in 2000 I believe when the Tigers put in another pathetic performance against the Saints with a then young Riewoldt dominating.

ledge
08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
My mate rips up his membership card every year.

Started in 2000 I believe when the Tigers put in another pathetic performance against the Saints with a then young Riewoldt dominating.

Tigers supporter probably only gets the one game out of it a year then

wimberga
08-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Going on our current forward structure, you'd have to go with Fev

Put Franklin into the team, he does most damage floating around the forward 50. Ask me, this is Murphs territory and would be happy to see him stay there and have Fevola coming deep. Fevola's conversion rate would also fit in very nicely with the Dogs

Dancin' Douggy
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Franklin is a once in a generation freak athlete/footballer/ cult hero.
Fevola is a very good Full Forward. Sometimes.

ledge
09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Going on our current forward structure, you'd have to go with Fev

Put Franklin into the team, he does most damage floating around the forward 50. Ask me, this is Murphs territory and would be happy to see him stay there and have Fevola coming deep. Fevola's conversion rate would also fit in very nicely with the Dogs

This is a good point, but that brings in another question then, would you have Murph or Franklin ?