PDA

View Full Version : Brownlow vs Norm Smith medal

Dry Rot
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
All the talk of Cooney being an early Brownlow favourite made me think of another medal, the Norm Smith, which is hardly ever mentioned.

Would you rather win a Brownlow and have that immortal tag (and bow out of the finals), or win a Norm Smith in the winning side?

Harvey has two Brownlows, but would Archer and McLeod be more happy with their Norm Smiths?

1eyedog
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
All the talk of Cooney being an early Brownlow favourite made me think of another medal, the Norm Smith, which is hardly ever mentioned.

Would you rather win a Brownlow and have that immortal tag (and bow out of the finals), or win a Norm Smith in the winning side?

Harvey has two Brownlows, but would Archer and McLeod be more happy with their Norm Smiths?

Norm Smith medal in a winning premiership side is the premier medal for mine. I think 99.9% of players would choose the Norm Smith in a winning premiership team than a Brownlow in a team that bowed out of the finals. Actually I think most players would prefer a Premiership medal than a Brownlow. A premiership medal is also immortal and you have 23 other blokes to always share it with. Brownlow winners are individual and footy is a team game IMO

The Coon Dog
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I thinl ALL players would rather just a Premiership Medal.

Norm Smith & Brownlow Medals are nice, but not what you play footy for!!

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I thinl ALL players would rather just a Premiership Medal.

Norm Smith & Brownlow Medals are nice, but not what you play footy for!!

OMG Coon your spelling!!!

ledge
08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Norm Smith for me as long as you won the flag.

Scorlibo
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I think that the Norm Smith + Premiership would be best in the short term, I mean how good would it feel to walk up onto the stage in the middle of the G minutes after winning the premiership and accept a medal which signifies that you played the biggest part in winning that grand final? Damn good. But the Brownlow + Premiership (I know that in the question the brownlow didn't come with the prem but if you want to compare Norm and Charlie then you have to have the premiership as a dependant variable :p) would be a lot better in the long term, everyone remembers the brownlow medallists because they are recognised as being the best player over the course of an entire season, a sustained effort, whereas no one really remembers Norm Smith medallists because it was a one game effort which got them the medal, even if it was in the biggest game of all. In the future, people will introduce Aker as dual brownlow medallist Jason Akermanis (he still has one to come;):p) but they will introduce Steve Johnson as Steve Johnson.... who won a Norm Smith medal.

bornadog
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM

Funny Harvey rates his Whitten Medal above his brownlows because he played against and with Champions. I am sure a premiership medal is what all the boys are striving for.

LostDoggy
08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I would rather the Norm Smith Medal rather than winning the Brownlow simply because it would mean that I had played in a premiership side.

Sockeye Salmon
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Nathan Buckley has a Norm Smith and a Brownlow and I bet he would gladly swap them both to Shane Ellen for Ellen's premiership medallion.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Normie by the proverbial country mile... as long it was in a winning GF.