PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Tribute match - Victoria vs Dream Team

GVGjr
09-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I'll probably be in the minority here but I think players should make themselves available to represent their state whenever the opportunity presents itself.

So tomorrow, I will of course be barracking for the Vics.

Who do you think will win and what do you think of the concept?
I'd prefer a full State Of Origin series but this is a good starting point to get SOO back on the map.

With that in mind there is really only one thing to say

Victoria, Victoria (hey)

Out we come, out we come, out we come to play (hey)

Just for recreations sake, to pass the time away (hey)

Lots of fun, heaps of fun, enjoy your selves today,

Victorian team is hard to beat when they come out to play.

So join in the chorus, sing it one and all,

Join in the chorus, Victoria’s on the ball.

Good old Victoria, champions you’ll agree,

Victoria will be champions, just you wait and see.

Sockeye Salmon
09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm sure I've got a dentist appointment I have to be at.

If Cooney, Murphy, Johnson, Cross or Griffen get hurt I'll spew up. I've been waiting over 40 years for a Bulldog premiership and our chances could go down the shitter because of a stupid, irrelevant echibition game.

Of course Geelong and Hawthorn are in the same boat as us. Perhaps only teams outside the 8 should provide the players for the game?

The Coon Dog
09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll watch it & hope for 2 things. 1) Our players play well on the big stage & 2) None of our players get injured.

Mantis
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll watch it & hope for 2 things. 1) Our players play well on the big stage & 2) None of our players get injured.

Exactly... How often do our players get to play in front of 70K+? Hardly ever.

I look forward to Cooney, Murf, Cross and maybe Griffen performing well against 'high quality' opposition. Would love to see them man up and slay players who we may meet in the the finals. ie. Haw, Geel and Adel players.... Good boost for there confidence.

ledge
09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
There have been a few players over the years who have had season ending injuries in these games, i think Jarman was one when he was at the Hawks, was a huge blow.

The Underdog
09-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Look I think it's great for the players (or would be if it was true state of origin) and I've got great memories of State of Origin games as a kid, but as others on here have said I'll be gutted if one of our players gets badly hurt during the game. I'll be working but I'll tape it and watch it back.

The Coon Dog
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
There have been a few players over the years who have had season ending injuries in these games, i think Jarman was one when he was at the Hawks, was a huge blow.

It was Tony Hall.

Players can also be injured at training, walking down the street or at home.

ledge
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
It was Tony Hall.

Yes they can but you dont throw them another chance to get injured.
A bit like you dodged that truck, we better put another on the road to see if it hits you this time.
Some players will say no way i dodged the last one, some will take it on again.
Dont get me wrong i love the big V but it just happens to be a year we are doing well, should have been last year!
And on a players perspective , especially ours, we havent won a flag in 54 years, we look a chance, might be only chance do i want to risk not having a premiership for a one off game?
If Cooney gets injured you wont be regretting he played?
Remember he has admitted he already has an injury, if it worsens when the one week off could have fixed it?
In all this never ending arguement like i said i love interstate footy and the big V.

Mantis
09-05-2008, 12:19 PM

AS TCD pointed out it was Tony Hall, it was in 89 when he was a very very good player. It was a big blow, but Hawthorn still won the flag that year.

GVGjr
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM

Agreed. Darcy injured himself in a intra club game so injuries can occur anytime. I think the benefits outweigh the injury concerns. Big crowd, the best footballers in the country pitted against each other could really be a benefit for the likes of Cooney, Griffen, Murphy etc.

GVGjr
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
One thing that is also noticeable is that there is only one player in Matthew Richardson from the Apple isle. There is some good footballers from Tasmania but it might not now be the rich recruiting ground in once was.
I remember a SOO game where Steve McPherson representing Tasmania played in the back pocket and put in a blinder.

Sockeye Salmon
09-05-2008, 12:37 PM
It's not even the likelihood of a big injury during the game that worries me, it's having your top few players miss out on the chance to let their bodies recover from the constant bashing they've been getting for the last 7 weeks.

Sockeye Salmon
09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
SOO lost it for me in (I think) 1985. Brad Hardie and Brian Royal running at each other from opposite directions and both stopped to avoid contact, then had a laugh afterwards.

LostDoggy
09-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Ill be at the ground and hoping for the same things, i mean its a great opportunity for our guys to play in this kind of game, but id rather they didnt play.

bornadog
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
The standard of play will be incredible, it will definately go up a notch. I remember the games, especially in the 1980's Vics V SA and the standard was so much better than the home and away games.

So, as a spectacle it will be spectacular, as a doggies supporter, love to see the guys play well and then be proud of them playing at such an elite level, however, I will be praying the guys pull up with no injury.

strebla
09-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I love SOO footy as it has always given the likes of Peter Foster,Doug Hawkins,Brian Royal and other bulldog legends the chance of playing in a big game on the biggest stage i still look forward to the last satuday in september but i think all players deserve the big stage as it may be the only oppurtunity that they get ie:bob skilton so best of luck to our boys and heres hoping they all have a good game and bring back more wonderfull memories to the Western oval.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Not a fan of the concept, partially because for the first time in a long time that we look like being one of the better football sides going around. Desperate for no injuries; crucial that none of our players walk out wounded. The whole 'Dream Team' thing is a farce too, there's no history, so it's hard to participate in supporting the Vics. We aren't playing anyone, if that makes sense.

In another note it'll be fantastic to watch some of the match-ups. The likes of Pavlich, Brown, Franklin & Richardson in forward lines will be a real treat, and with Scarlett & Rutten among a few other defenders around, it should make for a good game.

1eyedog
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
AS TCD pointed out it was Tony Hall, it was in 89 when he was a very very good player. It was a big blow, but Hawthorn still won the flag that year.

Yep, best hands for a six-footer that I ever saw, used to mark everything that bloke. Mild interest in the game, hope Cooney, Griffen or Murph don't get injured. Thanks god Crossy and Johnno are out.

Dry Rot
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry, funny thread.

As most here know, I come from a rugby league background.

Those guys know how to do SOO. This game is a farce.

ledge
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Sorry, funny thread.

YEAh but your footy show is as amatuer as you can get.

Dry Rot
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
YEAh but your footy show is as amatuer as you can get.

My footy show? What are you referring to? The NRL crap on Ch 9?

Have never watched it.

Only thing good on Ch9 was Underbelly.

ledge
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I find it very hard to watch free to air

Dry Rot
09-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I find it very hard to watch free to air

Really? There's great stuff on ABC and SBS.

Agreed - the rest is rubbish.

ledge
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
CI channel, history channel, discovery and sports channels,and my teenagers watch comedy and music channels, Advertisements drive me nuts on free to air now.

Twodogs
09-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Who watches TV shows anymore? I d/l the stuff I really want to see badly enough. Footy and IPL cricket is about the only thing I watch on TV

Twodogs
09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
As for the game I just cant get excited by the Allies concept. Yeah the standard of play will be incredible. Yeah the Big V will be on display. Yeah it's a great reward for the hard work elite players do. Yeah it will be spectacular. Yeah I cant help but look forward to some of the match ups.

But who are the Allies? They havent played either SOO or at a carnival before. Why should Victoria have it's state team and noone alse in Australia have theirs? This game always should have been Victoria V South Australia. Sorry WA, as much as we love youse and the minerals and that, Vic V SA is the biggest show in town where interstate footy is concerned.

This is just an exibition match and the bottom line is it will add nothing to the story of football.

BulldogBelle
10-05-2008, 08:53 AM

Totally agree.

l will bloody cry if one of our boys get injured.

Mantis
10-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Sorry, funny thread.

Made easier by the fact that 99.9% of the Australian players who play in the NRL come from NSW and QLD.

The AFL is made up from players all over Australia.

The Coon Dog
10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Made easier by the fact that 99.9% of the Australian players who play in the NRL come from NSW and QLD.

And have the opportunity if they play well at that level to represent their country in meaningful matches.

Dry Rot
10-05-2008, 11:12 AM

Wasn't there good footy SOO matches between the states in the past? It could be done in the AFL if the desire was there at all levels.

It simply isn't, it seems.

Go_Dogs
10-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm actually quite looking forward to tonight as it should be a pretty high standard game, and I think our young blokes can learn a lot and get some new experiences, opinions and advice from some people they normally would not work with.

As a South Aussie, I think what's pathetic is that Victoria (and the AFL) are still so self absorbed they have themselves v the rest (I guess there was no other workable way around it, so it's slightly a moot point). I hope the DT flogs the panties off Victoria and demonstrates for one final time that Victoria is not the be all and end all for footy. Go a head and crucify me!

Mantis
10-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Wasn't there good footy SOO matches between the states in the past? It could be done in the AFL if the desire was there at all levels.

It simply isn't, it seems.

Yeah, but that was before the national competition took off.

It just seems too hard, if it was as cut and dry as Vic play SA every year it would be ok, but other states and possibly players went a piece of the action.

Sockeye Salmon
10-05-2008, 12:34 PM
The advantage NRL has with SOO is that it's an even contest.

If AFL took SOO seriously, Victoria would always win - by a lot. The fact is club football has always been more important and always will.

The Vic v The rest concept makes it more even but who cares about a combine?

The only thing that matters tonight is that Murphy, Cooney and Griffen don't get hurt.

Rach
10-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm going for the Dream Team tonight, but don't really care who wins either way, as long as the Doggies playing get through the game okay.

MikeSheahan
10-05-2008, 02:37 PM
DreamTeam to win by 16 points. Mark Williams seems to be taking this game much more seriously than Mark Thompson, so I expect this game to be won in the coaches box.

ledge
10-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry as i am mad on the doggies, i cant go past the big V either, maybe its Ted Whitten but my loyalty just cant back against them. STICK IT UP EM!

Bumper Bulldogs
10-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I like GVGjr love the concept and look forward to watching the best of the best, I hope that our boys burn and show that they are up with the best.

the only opportunity to improve this is to perhaps make it a SOO on the Sunday after the grand final excluding the two grand finalist teams players.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Dream team for me as i think they have more talent and desire to win then the Vic's.

Also they have more dogs playing!

LostDoggy
10-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Luckily, no Dogs appear to be injured.
Murph played well, Coons and Griffen unsighted for long periods.

Out of interest, did anyone see who our boys swapped guernseys with?

MikeSheahan
11-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Entertaining game, however I'm very disappointed with the choice of Fevola as a medallist. Plenty better.

ledge
11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Can we please move all you dream team pickers into the apology post as myself and Ted Whitten are disgusted in your disrespect to THE BIG V!
Apart from some posters admitting tipping against the dogs is bad enough but tipping against Teds boys is a sin!

ledge
11-05-2008, 12:13 AM
DreamTeam to win by 16 points. Mark Williams seems to be taking this game much more seriously than Mark Thompson, so I expect this game to be won in the coaches box.

Funny the way things go, in the actual game i think Thommo was way more serious than Choco.

1eyedog
11-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Entertaining game, however I'm very disappointed with the choice of Fevola as a medallist. Plenty better.

Who would you have picked? I thought Scarlett played well. Burgoyne too.

MikeSheahan
11-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Who would you have picked? I thought Scarlett played well. Burgoyne too.Scarlett for me, although I thought Peter Burgoyne was clearly BOG, but prefer medals being awarded to winners.

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2008, 07:46 PM

If you want to give the medal to the player that most influenced the result then Fevola deserved it. I htought he was fantastic.

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Scarlett for me, although I thought Peter Burgoyne was clearly BOG, but prefer medals being awarded to winners.

I don't think I've ever seen 36 more worthless possesions. All of Burgoyne's work was Sam Power stuff - collect a 20m sideways kick, give a 20m sideways kick. Where was the run?

bornadog
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
If you want to give the medal to the player that most influenced the result then Fevola deserved it. I htought he was fantastic.

10 disposals and fed the ball by some grteat play upfiled, to get 5 goals, what a joke giving him the medal.

bornadog
11-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Can we please move all you dream team pickers into the apology post as myself and Ted Whitten are disgusted in your disrespect to THE BIG V!
Apart from some posters admitting tipping against the dogs is bad enough but tipping against Teds boys is a sin!

To tell you the truth, it did not excite me, there was no passion and state borders are just that, borders and mean nothing. Half the players picked were a joke and picked on reputation, not form. Sorry, no interest from me, bring on the real stuff, Freo here we come.

ledge
11-05-2008, 08:13 PM
To tell you the truth, it did not excite me, there was no passion and state borders are just that, borders and mean nothing. Half the players picked were a joke and picked on reputation, not form. Sorry, no interest from me, bring on the real stuff, Freo here we come.

I am of same thoughts , just a bit of fun because i bet if Ted asked them personally they would have tipped the Vics through sheer fact they woulda shit theyre pants with him beeming down on them!
Onya Teddy

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
10 disposals and fed the ball by some grteat play upfiled, to get 5 goals, what a joke giving him the medal.

6 goals and at least 3 from contested marks from kicks that didn't particularily favour him at all.

No Fev = Vics lose.

Mantis
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't think I've ever seen 36 more worthless possesions. All of Burgoyne's work was Sam Power stuff - collect a 20m sideways kick, give a 20m sideways kick. Where was the run?

I have and from the same player.

2007 Grand Final:

Kane Cornes - 37 possessions.
Peter Burgoyne - 36 possessions
Chad Cornes - 32 possessions.

Rocket Science
12-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Out of curiosity, is anyone familiar with the guidelines on State of Origin criteria as it relates to individual players?

For instance, Adam Goodes was born in Adelaide but played most of his junior footy in country Vic...so, how exactly is state-to-state eligibility ascertained?

Further to this, is anyone aware of a resource, online or print, which lists players according to their state of origin?...the AFL prospectus is no good on this front.

Rocket Science
12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Cancel that request...appears that info is disclosed via club lists on their respective websites.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I have and from the same player.

2007 Grand Final:

Kane Cornes - 37 possessions.
Peter Burgoyne - 36 possessions
Chad Cornes - 32 possessions.

I don't mind Peter Burgoyne, but I see a lot of Port and his effectiveness of disposal, and ability to cut sides up with it, isn't close to that of say, Gilbee. A lot of his kicks float of the boot, are ill directed and lack penetration. I'm probably a little harsh on him, but I think he is a bit overrated, and generally not as brilliant as some make him out to be.

FWIW, I think Shaun would be a much more effective 'quarterback'.

Mantis
12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't mind Peter Burgoyne, but I see a lot of Port and his effectiveness of disposal, and ability to cut sides up with it, isn't close to that of say, Gilbee. A lot of his kicks float of the boot, are ill directed and lack penetration. I'm probably a little harsh on him, but I think he is a bit overrated, and generally not as brilliant as some make him out to be.

FWIW, I think Shaun would be a much more effective 'quarterback'.

Peter Burgoyne is good for your Dream Team (the game) and that's about all. He plays kick to kick (often sideways or with short kicks) with his brother and the Cornes boys, but often has no influence on the outcome of games. He does not take the game on like a McLeod or Gilbee does with quick breaks or pin point kicking to the advantage of his team.

The only people who rated his game on Saturday night were ones who use kicks and handballs stats as justification rather than more important stats like clearances or contested possessions or his perhaps even his influence on the game which was minimal.

hujsh
15-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Did the Roos take the the Vics song or vice versa?

bornadog
17-05-2008, 03:09 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbFOOTSCRAYovalted_gallery__470x315.jpg