PDA

View Full Version : What Ever Happened to Scragger?

LostDoggy
12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I was thinking the other day that once upon a time we had a real bulldog mascot. Scragger as he was known to his close friends, with his very own chair at the Western/Whitten Oval. I imagine there has been more than one Scragger over the years but I can't remember when our last real one was.

Does anyone have any information or believe that we should bring back Scragger. I believe it would help the build up on game day similar to that of which the University of Georgia have a breeder who picks out the best fit of the litter to the structure of the team with UGA (as he is known) in attendance at all home games.

Thoughts?

cheers,

Jaxs :cool:

ps: Jaxson is the name of my families Pure Bred Red and White British Bulldog.:)

ledge
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
The Mascot we have now is hilarious, big headed boof , looks nothing like a dog but crack up at his antics.
He loves the camera too!
I dont know why no more scragger, probably AFL scared of dog poo or some stupid health reason.
Hey just reminded me did anyone see that stupid camera man fall bum over tit in the middle of the ground a few games ago just before the game, he fell straight on this camera he was wheeling around and when he got up i saw his mate picking up bits and peices, it was so funny.

westdog54
12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
The Mascot we have now is hilarious, big headed boof , looks nothing like a dog but crack up at his antics.
He loves the camera too!
I dont know why no more scragger, probably AFL scared of dog poo or some stupid health reason.
Hey just reminded me did anyone see that stupid camera man fall bum over tit in the middle of the ground a few games ago just before the game, he fell straight on this camera he was wheeling around and when he got up i saw his mate picking up bits and peices, it was so funny.

That would be Woofa, ledge.

I used to love going to Optus Oval. He'd pee on the goalpost, wave flags, then go and pick a fight with the opposition mascot. Was fantastic.

The Coon Dog
12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
That would be Woofa, ledge.

I used to love going to Optus Oval. He'd pee on the goalpost, wave flags, then go and pick a fight with the opposition mascot. Was fantastic.

I think the OP was referring to the real bulldog, the one that used to often appear on club corner when World of Sport was on. I used to sit there, breathe like Darth Vader & slobber.

Super 27
12-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I remember around the mid 80's when the people who owned Scragger use to have him propped up in his own chair in the social club after the home games. While my old man was downing pots i use to feed him ice.

I did see that ledge...i think it was against Richmond. He wasn't the smallest bloke either.

ledge
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
wish they got it on film

Mantis
12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
My family had a bulldog who was in the paper's a fair bit when the fightback was on. We took it to the rally at the Western Oval and to the legend's game at Skinner reserve. It was on the front page of the Herald Sun a few times with Peter Gordon & Irene Chatfield.

As with super 27 as a kid we used to play with scragger in the social club after the game. It used to sit in the corner and we would feed it ice from it's bowl. All the drunks would tip there beer in the bowl.

westdog54
12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I think the OP was referring to the real bulldog, the one that used to often appear on club corner when World of Sport was on. I used to sit there, breathe like Darth Vader & slobber.

I'm well and truly aware of that TCD;).

ledge was referring to our current mascot.

I used to love Scragger as well

Sockeye Salmon
12-05-2008, 08:51 PM
My family had a bulldog who was in the paper's a fair bit when the fightback was on. We took it to the rally at the Western Oval and to the legend's game at Skinner reserve. It was on the front page of the Herald Sun a few times with Peter Gordon & Irene Chatfield.

As with super 27 as a kid we used to play with scragger in the social club after the game. It used to sit in the corner and we would feed it ice from it's bowl. All the drunks would tip there beer in the bowl.

There solves the riddle of whatever happened to Scragger.

He turned into a drunk, lived under a bridge for a while and died of cyrossis of the liver.

ledge
12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
The Geelong road overpass

Mofra
12-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Were you copying the dog or was this part of some weird ritual???

ledge
12-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Well his name is Coon Dog!

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 08:06 PM
So THAT's what happened to Scragger.. turned up here under a pseudonym.

ledge
14-05-2008, 06:04 PM
So THAT's what happened to Scragger.. turned up here under a pseudonym.

So there you go Jaxon, Coon Dog is scragger, wears glasses now but still got the tummy and tends to growl when spelling is wrong on here!

LostDoggy
14-05-2008, 07:23 PM
So there you go Jaxon, Coon Dog is scragger, wears glasses now but still got the tummy and tends to growl when spelling is wrong on here!

Thanks for the input Guys, not quite what I was after.

cheers,

Jaxs :cool: