PDA

View Full Version : Footy Classified gives us nothing

FatDog
13-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Flying under the radar is one thing.

Being dismissed is another.

Tonight's sterling effort showed Murph and Griff's hitd from the weekend, and showed Crossey's status on their in house award.

That's it. Third on the ladder, best start to the season in this 42 year olds life, and... nuthin.

Today's Age, nothing.

Today's Hun, nothing.

afl.com.au nothing.

the club's official (ahem) "website" nothing.

I'm all for keeping the lid on, but jeeze, surely 3rd on the ladder rates a mention?

C.

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Who cares what others think of us, we know where we are at.

G-Mo77
13-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I'd rather not getting a mention at all, but that is just me.

Let them talk up Hawthorn, Geelong and anyone else it really doesn't matter.

1eyedog
13-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Yep who cares. For someone who used to cut out any Bulldogs clippings from the two newspapers as a kid I'm used to it. Rejoice in sitting 3rd on the ladder, we don't need the media (of all people!) to tell us where we are at as a footy club. Get all your Bulldog news right here.

Sockeye Salmon
13-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I get my Bulldog fix right here at WOOF.

Interviews, news, comment and opinions. What more do you need?

Topdog
13-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I get my Bulldog fix right here at WOOF.

Interviews, news, comment and opinions. What more do you need?

Agreed

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 11:29 AM
A few articles though would be handy to boost membership sales because we all know we need as many as we can get.

Currently at what? 26,500? Pitiful for a club sitting 3rd on the ladder after 7 rounds. We should be looking down the barrel of 30,000.

DOG GOD
13-05-2008, 12:43 PM
A few articles though would be handy to boost membership sales because we all know we need as many as we can get.

Currently at what? 26,500? Pitiful for a club sitting 3rd on the ladder after 7 rounds. We should be looking down the barrel of 30,000.

yeah you would expect memberships to be flying out the window with our start. We can only hope it has a big surge in the weeks ahead.

soupman
13-05-2008, 12:59 PM
yeah you would expect memberships to be flying out the window with our start. We can only hope it has a big surge in the weeks ahead.

Surely if they haven't gotten one already they aren't going to get one?

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Even early on when we were 3 and 0 or 4 and 0 there were still very few people singing up when the phones should have rang hot, much like Smorgan said in an article a month or so back. It took TFS for people to realise to buy a membership.

Whats going wrong?

DOG GOD
13-05-2008, 01:22 PM

I think the DIEHARD fans will get theirs as soon as the season starts, but there are always reasons behind some fans when it comes to buying their memberships early. I guess the key factor is that EVERY supporter do their part in being part of this club.

I understand that some may have money concerns with high interest rates etc, but the club really has done most a service by bringing in monthly payments, so really there should be no excuse for life long supporters not to buy a membership.

Most people have money concerns in some way, and i'm not disputing that in any way, but i'm sure just one little way to tighten the purse strings would allow a membership.

At then end of the day if the club doesnt get stronger in the membership dept, then who knows what the future will bring. Corporate sponsorship and all that is GREAT, but it is the passion of the fans and the "WE ARE ONE" motto that will either make the club survive or kill it.

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I hope you are wrong, but unfortunatley I agree. If after the start that we had, their are still idiots that will not buy a membership then they never will.

I can not stand bandwagon supportrs, but how could they be too stpid not to see that when a club is going bad they need to keep members not lose them, if they loved this club they would be able to see that.

Sockeye Salmon
13-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Grand final ticket allocation based on number of years continuous membership.

Reward those who stick fat in the tough times.

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Exactly, not just those who can afford to pay their way onto the bandwagon.

Rach
13-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Living in Sydney, don't get to hear much about the Bullies anyway. Not even sure if Footy Classified is on here! But it does surprise me a bit that they're hardly getting any attention in Melbourne. But as long as things keep going the way they are going, it doesn't matter.

FrediKanoute
13-05-2008, 08:33 PM

I agree with the wholeheartedly SS. I've posted before, but in the EPL, as far as Spurs are concerned they have a system of "Loyalty Points". It works on a sliding scale. If you go to see Spurs v Man U at a 3pm home game at White Heart Lane you get 1 loyalty point. However, if you go an see Spurs play S****horpe United in the first round of the League Cup at S****horpe on a Tuesday night.....then you get 15 points. The system rewards those supporters who are will to really devote themselves to support the club in a physical way.

When Spurs made the Carling Cup final this season, everyone culd apply for tickets but they were allocated on a "Loyalty Points" basis.......hence I didn't get to go!

LostDoggy
13-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Im happy to see the doggies fly under the radar...

But dont expect us to still be under that radar if we were to possibly beat Hawthorn in Launceston or Geelong in Geelong..i think we wont be able to fly under any further if we were to win either of those games ;)

westdog54
14-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree with the wholeheartedly SS. I've posted before, but in the EPL, as far as Spurs are concerned they have a system of "Loyalty Points". It works on a sliding scale. If you go to see Spurs v Man U at a 3pm home game at White Heart Lane you get 1 loyalty point. However, if you go an see Spurs play S****horpe United in the first round of the League Cup at S****horpe on a Tuesday night.....then you get 15 points. The system rewards those supporters who are will to really devote themselves to support the club in a physical way.

When Spurs made the Carling Cup final this season, everyone culd apply for tickets but they were allocated on a "Loyalty Points" basis.......hence I didn't get to go!

Now that is funny. S****horpe gets picked up by the swearfilter.

soupman
14-05-2008, 01:40 PM

I agree, its not a perfect solution but it ensures the majority of real Doggies supporters get to go to the match that they helped the club get to. I can't think of anything worse than some bandwagon fan jumping on and getting those tickets ahead of me.

I love the hawthorn scarf idea with the number of years as a member, that works really well. Mine would read 10 this year, which would be something I would be proud of, instead of just getting a "member 2008" scarf.

LostDoggy
14-05-2008, 04:49 PM

I think that this is a much better way to alocate Grand Final tickets than the current system that we use, where it is what kind of membership that you have, that determines if you get a ticket or not. This way makes it much easier for people who can not afford to pay a large amount of money for memberships to be able to get a ticket.

hujsh
14-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Expecting a badish year i became a member and it's turned out fairly well so far (except i barely get to any games.

In 05/06 it was awesome reading about the dogs in the paper but that was before i found this site.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Before this year I was always the optimistic supporter, thinking that earch year would be the one. This year, I wasn't I thought we would have a middle of the bottom 8 finish - but still bought my membership etc. This year so far, has turned out to be better than anything I dared hope for, but I still want to play it down by being pessimistic - that way I don't get too disappointed.

FatDog
20-05-2008, 12:33 AM
For those happy to stay under the radar, fear not, we still don't exist. Only mention was the coaches votes, again. (Caro used the words "Western Bulldogs". But only to talk up a Freo player.)

C.

craigsahibee
20-05-2008, 08:44 PM
All this talk of flying "underneath the radar" gave m a flashback to the eighties:

Unknown
Unseen
We live underneath the radar
Not seen on tv screens
We dance underneath the radar

Between the flanks - well hey
Coon and Co they don't make a fuss about it
Did someone leave? well hey
Browny & Plough, no point in losin sleep about it?

We'll be playin - september

Here we go go go Here we go go go
See ya later - call me

We live underneath the dome
When you live underneath the radar
Theres no way Garry Lyon's gonna be fair

We speak
German
Big Willie smashes them with power
They stop
When he hits
Go sailin over the horizon

Between the goals - well hey
Were just too small to make a fuss about it
Did something fall? well hey
That was Kosi he just didn't see it comin'

We'll be playin - september
Here we go go go
Here we go go go
See ya later - call me

Theres no way Robert Walls is gonna get smart (so get hip!)

He says I am the superstar
I wear number 2
I come across the 50 arc –
Give my pass to you
Sco Sco Sco Sco Sco Sco Sco Sco Sco Scott Welsh
Put's one more through
See ya later!

See ya later - see ya later
Maggies-no-no-no
Sainters-no-no-no
See ya later - call me

Between the goals - well hey
Were no longer small we'll make a fuss about it
Did someone cramp? well hey
Lake's ok he's just a little tight about it?

In 2008 the dogs are gonna go far
So get hip!

Bumper Bulldogs
20-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Guys fully agree that we don't get a mention. We are not a trendy side with big bucks bankrolling us.

I did hear Gerard Healy on 3AW tonight give us a wrap and said that he thinks with everett back to strengthen up the back line we will be hard to stop as we have one of the most powerful centre lines and Forward structures in the competition at this point.

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 09:50 PM
For those happy to stay under the radar, fear not, we still don't exist. Only mention was the coaches votes, again. (Caro used the words "Western Bulldogs". But only to talk up a Freo player.)

C.

Yes, I saw that and felt annoyed, and then I remembered that Caro and Gary both picked Freo in their footy tips:D:D:D:

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Did something fall? well hey
That was Kosi he just didn't see it comin'

Best part :)

ledge
20-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Hang on i forgot to put Caro in the ugliest footballers post , ok she didnt play but she looks like she did.

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Guys fully agree that we don't get a mention. We are not a trendy side with big bucks bankrolling us.

I did hear Gerard Healy on 3AW tonight give us a wrap and said that he thinks with everett back to strengthen up the back line we will be hard to stop as we have one of the most powerful centre lines and Forward structures in the competition at this point.

Doesn't know enough about us to realise how bad Everitt was travelling before he did his knee. Ray is the who could make a difference (and West, obviously). I think we could really do with another ball carrier.

LostDog
25-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I think we may finally get our coverage this week, and it will be negative

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I think we may finally get our coverage this week, and it will be negative
That's pretty typical! Now it'll be about how hyped up we were, etc...

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 12:57 AM
I promised myself that I wouldn't watch Footy Classifieds again, but like an addict - back I was this Monday, and glad I did too. James Fantasia, was on meet the press with two other Football General Managers, Connelly (Melb) and Welsh (Collingwood). James got stuck into Carro, commented that it was obvious by the lack of newspaper articles that she was not of the Bulldogs persuasion, and then asked her if she knew where Whitten Oval was. He said another couple of comments to her that was drowned out a bit, because Connelly was like a dog let off his leash - but he got awarded the points through it. Good stuff after the weekend we had;) Oh and they actually talked a bit about our game - went well until Hutchy made the comment that we haven't played anyone yet apart from Sydney:mad: No, just Adelaide, Fremantle away, St Kilda before they went soft, Essendon before they got injured and West Coast before they lost Kerr - no one really:rolleyes:

aker39
27-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Caro said that she'd been to the club about 5 times in each of the past few years.

James said that we could expect to see her alot in the remainder of the season than, seeing as we haven't seen her at the Whitten Oval once this year.

Sedat
27-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I promised myself that I wouldn't watch Footy Classifieds again, but like an addict - back I was this Monday, and glad I did too. James Fantasia, was on meet the press with two other Football General Managers, Connelly (Melb) and Welsh (Collingwood). James got stuck into Carro, commented that it was obvious by the lack of newspaper articles that she was not of the Bulldogs persuasion, and then asked her if she knew where Whitten Oval was. He said another couple of comments to her that was drowned out a bit, because Connelly was like a dog let off his leash - but he got awarded the points through it. Good stuff after the weekend we had;) Oh and they actually talked a bit about our game - went well until Hutchy made the comment that we haven't played anyone yet apart from Sydney:mad: No, just Adelaide, Fremantle away, St Kilda before they went soft, Essendon before they got injured and West Coast before they lost Kerr - no one really:rolleyes:
I was hoping Fantasia would grill Damian Barrett for that piss-poor excuse of an article in the week after the Richmond draw, accusing us of stage-managing Lake's injury scans. It is now clear that Barrett has an axe to grind with the Dogs as he is Aker's ghost writer for his column and is forced to send each article to Fantasia before being allowed to go to print. Barrett went in hard on Fantasia over this censorship issue, but he turned the tables very well and accused Barrett of himself censoring Aker's articles by virtue of the fact that he is Aker's ghost writer, an issue that Barrett was clearly embarrased was made public. Fantasia's retort also outlined that the Dogs are Aker's primary employer so was perfectly within their rights to reign him in.

I thought Connolly was outstanding last night. Animated, but hit the mark with every retort to the journos and made many salient points that did not get answered adequately at all.

Interesting that Hutchy still doesn't rate us, saying we haven't beaten anyone of note (Sydney aside). Fair enough, but then the same could be said of Geelong as well. And who have Hawthorn beaten of note, judging by that standard? All quite silly, but I don't mind.

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I think the question marks over where we are at is valid. We've had some great wins, but we've also scrapped through games which we should have maybe done a little better (not that I'm complaining). I think it's the inconsistency which leaves most journalists holding their judgement. The next 5 weeks will provide a great indicator of where we are, with us playing some tough teams in Hawthorn , St Kilda, Brisbane, Collingwood and Port.

hujsh
27-05-2008, 12:18 PM
What is a ghost writer exactly. Does Acker speak and Barret write?

Sedat
27-05-2008, 01:20 PM
What is a ghost writer exactly. Does Acker speak and Barret write?
A ghost writer proof-reads the piece and makes it publishable - some say they write the whole thing. So Barrett is effectively censoring Aker by adding his editorial and re-wording every single article that Aker brings to the table for the HS. Hypocrite.

Sockeye Salmon
27-05-2008, 02:04 PM
A ghost writer proof-reads the piece and makes it publishable - some say they write the whole thing. So Barrett is effectively censoring Aker by adding his editorial and re-wording every single article that Aker brings to the table for the HS. Hypocrite.

What makes it worse is that Barrett clearly wants it to be as controversial as possible. I would guarantee he would offer a few suggestions about how to spice the column up a little.

Topdog
27-05-2008, 02:46 PM
What makes it worse is that Barrett clearly wants it to be as controversial as possible. I would guarantee he would offer a few suggestions about how to spice the column up a little.

Yeah it was blatantly obvious last night that the only reason Barrett was upset is because it wasn't as controversial as he would like.

wimberga
27-05-2008, 03:06 PM
All of barrets articles lack substance and are outlandish dramatisations of whats actually happened. Surprised he still has a job

On the flipside, read the article about the dogs and the roos game in the Australian yesterday, and whoever the journo was did a Very good job. I think it was Jack Reily or something like that.

aker39
27-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I loved the way how Chris Connelly bought up the fact that DB had said on a earlier Beat the Press that he doesn't go out to clubs and he doesn't write match reports, that he writes on off field topics.

Connelly said to him, so your just a muck racker.