PDA

View Full Version : How will we react to a loss when it comes?

BulldogBelle
15-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I know one thing and that is that I am throughly enjoying this winning streak and don't want it to stop but still I always go into each game with a fear that a time will come when we drop our first game for the year.

With each week the expectations mount...here is a passage from an article that Neil Craig wrote - this quote relates to him discussing complacency -

Craig being the deep thinker assessed the pressure of expectation common to the three sides - Hawthorn, Geelong and the Western Bulldogs - above his on the AFL ladder.

"It's a different expectation, Geelong and Hawthorn face it every week, Western Bulldogs face it every week at the moment, as in an expectation you should beat all these teams," Craig said.

"There's no guarantee of win or loss in high performance sport, and I'd like to think we don't need to be reminded of that as a club, and our preparation hasn't changed, it's always diligent.

The day will come and it will be the loss we had to have - how many times have you heard that and then shook your head?

Thoughts?

hujsh
16-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Will all depend on who we loose to and how

LostDoggy
16-05-2008, 12:27 AM
If we had a close loss to Hawthorn or Geelong - I could take it - but if it is to a team like Fremantle that has only won one game - than I would feel like a lot of our hard work has been lost.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-05-2008, 12:44 AM
If we had a close loss to Hawthorn or Geelong - I could take it - but if it is to a team like Fremantle that has only won one game - than I would feel like a lot of our hard work has been lost.

I agree, although I don't think this week will be as easy as some perhaps think. They have only won one game, but they really pushed and should've beaten Geelong. Certainly if we lost, though, it would be very disappointing because if we're going to be a contender, then these types of matches are ones we really should put away - despite their home ground advantage.

It's a good question you pose BB; I suspect the loss will be taken either alright, as the 'one we had to have' as many claim, or blown out of proportion - all depending on who we lose to. If we had of went down to the Tigers, the mood would of been much different. After beating Sydney the expectation for our own supporters has risen - a loss to a club like Fremantle would probably have a lot of people pressing panic buttons all over again.

I'm very hopeful of our good form continuing this week, and really it should - but I think the real test for the club is being able to bounce back after a loss and re-focus. We're only going to lose when we stop doing the things we've done for the most part of this season - playing a much tougher, contested brand of team orientated football. If we drop back to our previous habits, then we'll find ourselves in trouble, but so long as the intensity is up I don't think we'll have any 'major' downfalls.

BulldogBelle
16-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Certainly if we lost, though, it would be very disappointing because if we're going to be a contender, then these types of matches are ones we really should put away - despite their home ground advantage.

That's exactly right TBB - this game is another test for us, we don't want to undo the good win we had against the Swans. So we can't afford to be complacent.

FrediKanoute
16-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Funny, but think back to Essendon in 2000, they lost to us who whilst we made the 8 and were an ok team, we still were well behind them. Likewise, think back to Carlton in 1995 and they lost 2 games for the season, one was to a lowly St.Kilda and a lowly Swans side (I think).......basically they lost their ony to games to sides the should have crushed!

My point is that I would be more concerned about losing to Geelong or Hawthorn than losing to Freo, because unless something significant happens at Freo we aren't going to face them in the finals, but we are going to have to face the Hawks and Cats and we are probably going to have to beat one if not both to win the GF.

Going back to the Essendon and Carlton analogies, good teams beat good teams and whilst they may drop the odd game against weak opposition, they make certain that they beat their immediate peers. I would call a loss to Freo this week an aberration, but a loss to the Hawks or the Cats a significant set back.

1eyedog
16-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Good thread. A loss this week in Freo will really put us on the back foot and show us we still have a lot of work to do to be a consistent team capable of challenging for the Grand Final (which I think we are at present). A loss to Geelong or Hawthron either than putting us on the back foot will show us where we really are and what we need to do to beat these teams to be a contender. Got to stay positive. It's funny, the AFL and coaches keep saying the competiton has nevr been so even but you've got the Eagles, Freo and Melbourne on the bottom with one win and The Doggies, Hawks and Cats up the top undefeated. Also, while we have had some very close contests this season, there have been some serious blowouts. What's with that?

BulldogBelle
16-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Going back to the Essendon and Carlton analogies, good teams beat good teams and whilst they may drop the odd game against weak opposition, they make certain that they beat their immediate peers. I would call a loss to Freo this week an aberration, but a loss to the Hawks or the Cats a significant set back.

A loss to Freo to me makes me feel that we would have undone all the good work we have achieved this year beating Adelaide, St Kilda and Sydney etc.

If I recall last season it was before our crash bang we lost a game to Carlton that were on the bottom of the ladder - I felt worse with that happening than a loss to a team that was above us - if we lose to a team sitting near us eg Geelong & Hawthorn I find it easier to accept a loss because I feel that we can learn something from that loss.

Hope that makes sense.

Dogs Dinna
16-05-2008, 12:45 PM
A loss to Freo to me makes me feel that we would have undone all the good work we have achieved this year beating Adelaide, St Kilda and Sydney etc.

If I recall last season it was before our crash bang we lost a game to Carlton that were on the bottom of the ladder - I felt worse with that happening than a loss to a team that was above us - if we lose to a team sitting near us eg Geelong & Hawthorn I find it easier to accept a loss because I feel that we can learn something from that loss.

Hope that makes sense.

I tend to agree BB. That loss to lowly Carlton last year was a clear signal that we weren't travelling well, even though our overall win/loss ratio at the time was respectable.
If we hold our form this week we should beat a Fremantle Club that is almost ready to 'eat its young'.
A close loss to Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium in a fortnight's time would not be nearly as disturbing as losing to Freo, at this point in time.

ledge
16-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I will sook and throw things at the telly and blame everyone down to the boot studder

The Underdog
16-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I'll probably react the same way I do most times we lose, badly.
But by Thursday I'll be ok.

I'm not super confident about this week. It's not so long ago a trip to Perth was feared by most, even against Freo. I still think we're a better side, but it will only take a small slip against a side who should be super motivated (albeit completely mental).

Sockeye Salmon
16-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Ernie will blame the umpires.

Mantis will blame Eagleton.

Twodogs will blame Street.

I'll blame the Government.

Desipura
16-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I will hate reading the papers
Will hate footy for a day
will look anxiously at the best players for Willi to see where we can improve.:D

westdog54
16-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Ernie will blame the umpires.

Mantis will blame Eagleton.

Twodogs will blame Street.

I'll blame the Government.

jerry will blame Eade.

hujsh
16-05-2008, 05:13 PM
jerry will blame Eade.

And will sack the entire team and rebuild.

westdog54
16-05-2008, 05:26 PM
And will sack the entire team and rebuild.

But he'll keep Malcolm Lynch.

ledge
16-05-2008, 06:06 PM
And recruit back Jesse Wells

LostDoggy
16-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I won't blame anyone and find the positives and maintain that the team is on the verge of greatness as 22 weeks is a long time blah blah blah...

LostDoggy
16-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Don't care about 2009 yet.

westdog54
16-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Don't care about 2009 yet.

Boom Boom!

BulldogBelle
17-05-2008, 12:54 AM
I will hate reading the papers.

I am a bit like that but I still read them. I also have a 'no talk about the Bulldogs day" on the Monday after a loss at work.

I have a sign I made up in my office that is laminated and it comes out after a loss and it reads "No Comment, I am in football mourning" they all fall about laughing. It hasn't made an appearance yet this season. :)

LostDoggy
17-05-2008, 02:02 AM
I just pray that we don't lose a game before Geelong and Hawthorn - because I get so angry when the media jumps all over us putting us down (and they will). I also hope and expect that we should at least beat either Geelong or Hawthorn (preferably both), because before we had the slump we had to have, we beat them both last year.

Mantis
17-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I just pray that we don't lose a game before Geelong and Hawthorn - because I get so angry when the media jumps all over us putting us down (and they will). I also hope and expect that we should at least beat either Geelong or Hawthorn (preferably both),because before we had the slump we had to have, we beat them both last year.

But it could be said that these wins were during there slumps.

ledge
17-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I think it will be hard enough beating these sides once let alone twice in one season, so i am hoping we are enough games ahead of the rest of the pack we can afford to lose to them during the season, then beat them in finals when it counts.
If we lose to them during year they will meet us in finals with that little bit of winning mindset and thats when we are most likely to beat them.
But if we beat them during the year they will be fired up in finals to prove they can beat us, i know which one i prefer.
But in saying that maybe i am not giving us enough credit.

westdog54
17-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I am a bit like that but I still read them. I also have a 'no talk about the Bulldogs day" on the Monday after a loss at work.

I'm the opposite. I'm more than willing to take my medicine if the dogs get beaten, since I'm generally one of the first to dish it out.

Go_Dogs
17-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I expect and accept that eventually everyone loses a game. This season however, it had better be against a good side, in a close game.

ledge
17-05-2008, 01:52 PM
As long as we tried and can see positives i am a little bit less angry.

BulldogBelle
17-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm the opposite. I'm more than willing to take my medicine if the dogs get beaten, since I'm generally one of the first to dish it out.

I give as as good as I get also. :D

The "no talk policy on a Monday morning" generally lasts a few minutes hard not to discuss footy in our office on a Monday Morning.

GVGjr
17-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I give as as good as I get also. :D

The "no talk policy on a Monday morning" generally lasts a few minutes hard not to discuss footy in our office on a Monday Morning.

It's always on for young and old on a Monday. I don't care if they try and stir me up after a loss. It is different with a finals game because those ones really hurt.

1eyedog
17-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I get so upset that my work mates do not even utter a word now really. They may make a passing comment, but it's usually from a distance or via text message.

BulldogBelle
17-05-2008, 02:14 PM
It's always on for young and old on a Monday. I don't care if they try and stir me up after a loss.

Yes, can totally relate to that - I just smile store it in the memory bank and wait till their team loses.

It is different with a finals game because those ones really hurt.

Yes, my cousin in law being a Crows supporter enjoys dredging up those Adelaide Prelim wins and he laughs when he sees my two prelim tapes bounded up by police tape and marked "Never to be watched until Dogs win Premiership".

GVGjr
17-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, my cousin in law being a Crows supporter enjoys dredging up those Adelaide Prelim wins and he laughs when he sees my two prelim tapes bounded up by police tape and marked "Never to be watched until Dogs win Premiership".

I have a work colleague (and a close mate) who happens to be a very strong Crows supporter and barely a week goes by where he doesn't mention those finals.
I will get back at him one day....I just have to :)

westdog54
17-05-2008, 02:57 PM
It's always on for young and old on a Monday. I don't care if they try and stir me up after a loss. It is different with a finals game because those ones really hurt.

One of the guys I work with is a massive Sydney fan, going back to the South days. Thursday nights are basically us getting stuck into each other about football and how crap we believe each other's respective teams are and all the things wrong with them.

We were at a first aid session together on Wednesday night, and were paired up. We had to practice with one being the casualty and one the first-aider, and we had to put the person in the recovery position, after checking airway/breathing etc.

I walked up to him and said "Sydney Scarf? F*** that!!"

He was in fits of laughter for a good two minutes.

LostDoggy
17-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I will shut myself off from all football realated discusions until we win another game.

BulldogBelle
17-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I will shut myself off from all football realated discusions until we win another game.

You must have been starved of football discussion after our horrific 7 game crash last season then. :D

LostDoggy
17-05-2008, 10:16 PM
You must have been starved of football discussion after our horrific 7 game crash last season then. :D
It was the longest I have ever gone without discusing football and hopefully the longest I ever will.