PDA

View Full Version : Willy vs Bendigo

hujsh
18-05-2008, 09:49 PM
13.12-90 Bendigo Bombers
def. by
19.13-127 Williamstown

Bendigo Bombers
Goal Kickers: H. Skipworth 3, J. Johnson 2, J. Nash, J. Bowe, G. Weeks, J. Coghlan, D. Chartres, S. Davies, C. Hooker, J. Williams
Best Players: G. Weeks, T. Pears, S. Crameri, J. Bowe, J. Johnson, H. Skipworth
Williamstown
Goal Kickers: G. O''Keefe 5, B. Jolley 3, M. Little 2, F. Ray 2, J. Grant 2, B. Johnson, D. Stretton, D. Galea, L. Picken, M. Lynch
Best Players: P. Street, J. Cloke, G. O''Keefe, B. Jolley, F. Ray, D. Stretton

RESERVES

2.2-14 Bendigo Bombers

def. by
27.14-176 Williamstown
Bendigo Bombers
Goal Kickers: M. Pilcher, D. Granger
Best Players: D. Ayton, C. Wilmott, D. Young, D. Granger, B. Taylor, D. Anderson
Williamstown
Goal Kickers: P. O''Shea 7, M. Keddell 4, M. Cravino 3, C. Urch 2, A. Chiu 2, N. Black 2, S. Reid 2, E. Wood 2, J. Young, C. Lockwood, H. White
Best Players: M. Keddell, P. O''Shea, S. Reid, M. Cravino, T. Langlands, E. Wood

O'Keefe and O'Shea getting amongst the goals.

GVGjr
18-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Nice to see O'Shea get amongst the goals again. I wonder if he will push for a promotions to the firsts?

Street, O'Keefe and Ray named in the best players is encouraging.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Ray actually had 7 shots on goal, kicking 2.5

Rare we see him have so much of it..his return is not far away!

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:01 PM
What should be made of Grant's performances this year?

Playing seniors but seems to be going through the motions. Hasnt once been named in the bests.

Wouldnt mind an opinion from a track watcher to see where hes at.

Is he likely to debut this season?

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Ray actually had 7 shots on goal, kicking 2.5

Rare we see him have so much of it..his return is not far away!

Willing to bet thats 2 goals and 5th best for Willy.
The VFL site is weird.

GVGjr
18-05-2008, 10:07 PM
What should be made of Grant's performances this year?

Playing seniors but seems to be going through the motions. Hasnt once been named in the bests.

Wouldnt mind an opinion from a track watcher to see where hes at.

Is he likely to debut this season?

From what I have seen I don't think he is ready.

At times he looks comfortable and obviously at other times he struggles which is natural given his age and physical maturity. Skipper and Tiller would be preferred as forward options at the moment.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:27 PM
From what I have seen I don't think he is ready.

At times he looks comfortable and obviously at other times he struggles which is natural given his age and physical maturity. Skipper and Tiller would be preferred as forward options at the moment.

Cheers mate

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Anyone know if Oshea's goals were strong marks and set shots? Traditional forward?

Scorlibo
18-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Jesus, I had to quadruple take that reserves score line, what a drubbing!! Great to see O'Shea with a bag but its 7 out of 27 as opposed to 7 out of 17 or some other normal goal tally. O'Keefe again playing well in the seniors, he and Ward must be neck and neck at this stage in selection matters. Fazza Ray has to come back next week.

GVGjr
18-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Anyone know if Oshea's goals were strong marks and set shots? Traditional forward?

Have a bit of a browse at the VFL threads that we do most weeks but he is a more mark from behind forward than a lead up player at the moment. He plays in bursts and needs to learn where to lead to. He doesn't kick through the ball enough either. I think Dalrymple does a bit of work with him each week. He is still very young so he has plenty to learn.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Have a bit of a browse at the VFL threads that we do most weeks but he is a more mark from behind forward than a lead up player at the moment. He plays in bursts and needs to learn where to lead to. He doesn't kick through the ball enough either. I think Dalrymple does a bit of work with him each week. He is still very young so he has plenty to learn.

Sorry. Was referring to tadays game, not what he has done in the past.

GVGjr
18-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Sorry. Was referring to tadays game, not what he has done in the past.

It was played up in Bendigo and sort of clashed with the televised game if you were traveling back so I doubt that we will get a report especially from a 2nds game.

hujsh
18-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Jesus, I had to quadruple take that reserves score line, what a drubbing!!

Happens to my team almost every week. Bloody WRFL won't drop us to the D's

bulldogtragic
19-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Street in the bests again, again.

Credit where its due, he's putting in strong performances. Thats all we can ask of him.

bornadog
19-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Did Ward play or did he travel up to Perth?

Okeefe with five was a good effort as well.

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Will OKeefe now be the first of the sea-dogs to debut?

Does he leapfrog Ward on the back of that performance?

Clearly Ward and OKeefe have been the best performed of our kids and seem to have real drive and determination to make the grade

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Did Ward play or did he travel up to Perth?

Okeefe with five was a good effort as well.

Ward played, along with O'Keefe, Street, Ray, Everitt, Mcdougall, Harbrow, Stack, Grant and surprisingly, Lynch.

Reid, White, O'Shea and Wood played reserves.

Skipper travelled to Perth as emergency.

Mulligan, Boumann and Shaw didn't play.

Cyberdoggie
19-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Ward played, along with O'Keefe, Street, Ray, Everitt, Mcdougall, Harbrow, Stack, Grant and surprisingly, Lynch.

Reid, White, O'Shea and Wood played reserves.

Skipper travelled to Perth as emergency.

Mulligan, Boumann and Shaw didn't play.

it's odd, have we got so many players now that we have to rest them from playing reserves vfl.

Haven't heard much from those 3 players since the footy season started.
I'm assuming their absence was more part of a grand plan.

Not going to get much from playing bendigo in reserves level. Perhaps they were doing some extra weights sessions back home or something.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 01:04 PM
it's odd, have we got so many players now that we have to rest them from playing reserves vfl.

Haven't heard much from those 3 players since the footy season started.
I'm assuming their absence was more part of a grand plan.

Not going to get much from playing bendigo in reserves level. Perhaps they were doing some extra weights sessions back home or something.

Boumann went off in the last quarter v Sandy, maybe he was injured?

Mulligan hasn't played a lot of footy, I would have thought they would have wanted to get as much football into him as they could. I thought he was pretty good last week as well, so I couldn't imagine he was dropped. He might have been hurt as well.

I don't remember Shaw playing last week either.

GVGjr
19-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Boumann went off in the last quarter v Sandy, maybe he was injured?

Mulligan hasn't played a lot of footy, I would have thought they would have wanted to get as much football into him as they could. I thought he was pretty good last week as well, so I couldn't imagine he was dropped. He might have been hurt as well.

I don't remember Shaw playing last week either.

Boumann injured a shoulder last week and Shaw hasn't played for about 3 weeks maybe more.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2008, 08:13 PM
What about White?

O'Keefe must be getting really close to a game, and great to see Farren back in some good touch. He's going to be an important player for the remainder of the year.

westdog54
20-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm rapt with how O'Keefe is doing. Not bad for a 4th? round draft pick.

Watching his video on the AFL website after he was drafted, the thing that stood out for me was that he really knew where the goals were, a Cyril Rioli-like predatory instinct.

Having not watched him play I don't know how well that's carried over but I'll take a 5 goal return with both hands.

knowitall
20-05-2008, 05:43 PM
O Keefe was the standout for this match, as to was Ray. Ray had 25+ possessions playing from the half back line, then playing as a forward in the latter stages.

Street did his thing again - but wasn't superb or anything near terrific. His tap outs and opponent awareness was fantastic but he still needs to learn where the best option is when he's using the footy and what else he can do to have a bigger impact on the game.

Ward is an interesting one. He is very consistent in putting in solid games, but is never ordinary. When he's on song, he's fantastic. He seems to have purple patches two or three times a game that gets people saying 'how did he do that?' And then he fades out of the game for a short period. He is averaging 20 possessions a game at VFL seniors level, and his least possession gets is 17. That's what I mean by consistently playing solid games. O'Keefe and Ward are neck and neck, which is a very good sign for Williamstown and the Bulldogs.

Anyone's thoughts??

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Fantastic signs indeed but lets pray they dont get poached by these new teams entering the comp.

Prince Imperial
20-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm a bit biased as I've fallen in love (in a football sense!) with Ward from watching three Willi games. Given, however, Ward is still doing his VCE and only training on a part time basis, O'Keefe may be better suited this year to elevation to the Dogs senior side. I think Ward will be the better player long term as he looks a better kick, has slightly better ball handling, is a better mark. There is something just special about him. Both look like great prospects.

GVGjr
20-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Ward is an interesting one. He is very consistent in putting in solid games, but is never ordinary. When he's on song, he's fantastic. He seems to have purple patches two or three times a game that gets people saying 'how did he do that?' And then he fades out of the game for a short period. He is averaging 20 possessions a game at VFL seniors level, and his least possession gets is 17. That's what I mean by consistently playing solid games. O'Keefe and Ward are neck and neck, which is a very good sign for Williamstown and the Bulldogs.

Anyone's thoughts??

Its the position he plays. It's actually hard to be more consistent when he plays mainly across half forward and all things considered, averaging 20 possessions is terrific.

Raw Toast
20-05-2008, 08:26 PM
O Keefe was the standout for this match, as to was Ray. Ray had 25+ possessions playing from the half back line, then playing as a forward in the latter stages.

Street did his thing again - but wasn't superb or anything near terrific. His tap outs and opponent awareness was fantastic but he still needs to learn where the best option is when he's using the footy and what else he can do to have a bigger impact on the game.

Anyone's thoughts??

Thanks for the report knowitall. How did the other Bulldogs listed players go (Stack, Everitt, Harbrow, Doogs, and Lynch and anyone I've missed)? Did you see the reserves game?

knowitall
22-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the report knowitall. How did the other Bulldogs listed players go (Stack, Everitt, Harbrow, Doogs, and Lynch and anyone I've missed)? Did you see the reserves game?

Stack was very good, for the second week running. He's run off the half back has come into his game this season, and he has improved alot in one on one contests. Maybe this is because of all the hard work he put in at the gym over pre season, but he is definitely alot stronger in contests and his core strength has improved out of sight.

Everitt was also solid. He is ready to jump in to the Bulldogs team whenever the want/need him. Beat his opponent in defense all day and never stopped trying.

Harbrow was OK. Not great but it is noticeable that he is a step ahead of the rest. He thinks quicker, and because he is quick, everything he does happens so quickly, but is so effective. He, too, is ready again for the Bulldogs.

Grant had 10 possessions - his highest this season. He attacked the ball very well on the weekend compared to other weeks but dropped a few sittas and turned it over a few times. Still developing though and it will take up to two years to see what he can do

McDougall played strongly on his man. Didnt get much of the ball but did his job. Not ready for the big time yet, but time will tell as he has all the potential in the World, just needs to make the most of it.

Lynch was a bit scratchy in his first game for the seniors. Only got about 8 to 10 touches but did some terrific work around the ground and his fitness is improving every week. Needs time to get used to the increased pace of the game, but will be OK in the Willi seniors. Still got a fair bit of proving that he can play at the highest level being so small but IMO he can do it.

RESERVES

Reid was awesome. He's been so good the last three weeks but for some reason hasnt been able to break into the seniors team. His tackling and pressure is the best part in his game, but also his possession rate is terrific. He's had 83 possessions in the last 3 weeks and really is the one stepping up out of the reserves.

Wood finally showed us that he can play some good footy. But not for four quarters. He has purple patches where he's awesome then the next minute you see him and he's turned the ball over and is not chasing. Once he learns more about the game and develops as a footballer, we'll see what he can really do.

White was OK but does not go hard enough at the ball. I know he's only little, but to play at the highest level he has to go in and get some hard ball gets. He expects to get uncontested ball too much. One positive about him is that he does use the ball pretty well, and takes off when he receives the ball to relieve some opposition pressure.

O Shea kicked 7 goals and took plenty of contested marks. IMO i dont know why he's playing in the forward line, it will not help him develop as a footballer, it will only help Williamstown Reserves win more games. He will never be a KPP in the Western Bulldogs Football Team but his strong body on the weekend proved to us he has some talent. Keep an eye on him in the next few weeks, because after kicking a bag of 7 may be a bad thing for him, as forwards tend to get ahead of themselves after theyve dominated a game. He is also one to get lazy, so lets hope this does not happen.

Mulligan was out with a sprained ankle he suffered on Friday's training session.
Shaw is still recovering from his strained hamstring/sore lower back.
Boumann is also recovering from a shoulder injury he copped in the previous week and did not play.

hujsh
22-05-2008, 05:46 PM
knowitall, aside from knowing it all how do you find the stats for the VFL?

Raw Toast
22-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Ta muchly for the extended report knowitall.

GVGjr
22-05-2008, 07:21 PM
O Shea kicked 7 goals and took plenty of contested marks. IMO i dont know why he's playing in the forward line, it will not help him develop as a footballer, it will only help Williamstown Reserves win more games. He will never be a KPP in the Western Bulldogs Football Team but his strong body on the weekend proved to us he has some talent. Keep an eye on him in the next few weeks, because after kicking a bag of 7 may be a bad thing for him, as forwards tend to get ahead of themselves after theyve dominated a game. He is also one to get lazy, so lets hope this does not happen.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Whilst he was in the firsts he was rarely touching the football because his role was primarily to negate his opponent. For a guy who didn't come to the club via the normal channels of playing in a TAC type league it's important that he gets more of the footy than what he was. I think he would be close to a return to the first now but lets face it he needed a spell in the 2nds.

Mantis
22-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Ta muchly for the extended report knowitall.

Seconded... Good to hear that we have quite a few player's waiting in the wings if injuries (let's hope not) or poor form strike.