PDA

View Full Version : Next week at a glance

GVGjr
18-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Callan, West and Ray in line for selection although both West and Callan might need another week. Johnson carrying an injury and Williams, Wight, Hill and one or two others not showing much.

We are winning but not playing great so I guess Eade will have to shuffle the cards again.

Any changes likely?

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Tiller has to go. Hill hasnt fired a shot since round 3. Williams will stay in, they have rushed him back, he will gain match fitness in the ones.

Stevo
18-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I would consider adding McDougall and Ray into the side possibly at the expense of Wight and Tiller. We looked somewhat slower today than previous weeks and losing two talls for a runner and a mobile tall would address that.

It's a shame that Harbrow isn't cherry ripe at the moment because he is the sort of player that would perform well against the Kangaroos.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I think Ray has done enough for a call up, maybe at the expense of Hill. Also, with the form O'Keefe has been showing in the magoos i wouldnt be surprised if he debut this week.

Williams looked out of his league today so might come under the microscope if we decide to go small against the Roo's.

I dont think we should risk West this week. Rawlings does a fairly good job on him so there would be no benifit in him comming back in underdone and with the possibility to injure the knee further.

Outs: Williams, Hill
Ins: Ray, O'Keefe

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:38 PM
You are right, Williams isnt ready, but the backline really struggled today. Even Tarrant kicked 4. Williams will play the spare tall defender until he is match fit, then Wight will either be dropped or interchanged.
Callan might not get straight back in. Thats what happens in good teams, if you miss a game you struggle to get back

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:39 PM
2 of Tiller, Wight and Hill.
Williams won't get dropped as its obvious Eade rates him.

In 2 of Ray, West, Ward or Skipper if they want another tall.
OKeefe is about 5th in the queue.

1eyedog
18-05-2008, 10:40 PM
If West reckons he's right bring him in, it will mean Rawlings goes to him instead of Cooney. Ray for Hill and leave Williams where he is. I'm not sure but Eagle might face the music for a high forearm (I've heard little about it except on the ABC). Not sure about Wight but with Williams finding his feet he needs to stick around for a week or two imo.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 10:42 PM
If West reckons he's right bring him in, it will mean Rawlings goes to him instead of Cooney. Ray for Hill and leave Williams where he is. I'm not sure but Eagle might face the music for a high forearm (I've heard little about it except on the ABC). Not sure about Wight but with Williams finding his feet he needs to stick around for a week or two imo.

Are you referring to Eagletons bump on Palmer in the last quarter?? If so, i think he will be safe. Hard but fair

ledge
18-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Funny how we see games diff , i thought Tiller tried hard today and Hill did ok, thought Wight and Williams were shocking.

1eyedog
18-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Are you referring to Eagletons bump on Palmer in the last quarter?? If so, i think he will be safe. Hard but fair

I was. I listened to the game on the ABC as I don't have Foxtel. One of the commentators mentioned it but obviously I didn't get to see it, but you're the second person who said it was ok. Good to see Eagleton lining them up.

Mofra
18-05-2008, 11:10 PM
I thought Wight (apart from the first quarter turnover) wasn't too bad today, made quite a few spoils & his gutsy mark in the 4th helped us to a goal. He is certainly way ahead of Williams at the moment.

I'm wondering if Williams will stay in - I thought he was very clearly underdone today and his addition to the senior team wasn't based purely on merit.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Eade and his staff rate Williams and thats the only reason he was selected today in front of Skipper or Ray. Doubt won't drop him in a hurry.

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I thought Wight (apart from the first quarter turnover) wasn't too bad today, made quite a few spoils & his gutsy mark in the 4th helped us to a goal. He is certainly way ahead of Williams at the moment.

Williams first game this season underdone yet Wight mades the same errors.
Also Wight I believe had Tarrant for most of the game and was beaten.

becmatty
18-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Out: Tiller, Hill
In: Ray, Callan

West a week away.

Wight and Williams will fight it out for their place once Westy returns against the Hawks...

Great to see so much competition for selection.

Everitt is not too far away and I see the team lineup looking somethinglike this (with only Higgins missing):

B Hargreave Lake Morris
HB Gibee Williams Griffen
C Eagleton West Boyd
HF Johnson Hahn Murphy
F Giansiracusa Welsh Akermanis
Foll Hudson Cross Cooney
Int Minson * * *

***the final three spots on the bench will be a toss up between the following players:
Callan, Ray, Hill, Everitt, Harbrow, Addison (currently, that is the order that I would select them, with the final three as emergencies).

Just on the outer:
Wight, Skipper, Street, Tiller, Ward, O'Keefe

Your thoughts, punters?

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Ward and Skipper are closer than some of those.

1eyedog
18-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I would have Addison in before Hill

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Hill will make way this week, just didn't use the ball well enough.

I personally thought Tiller was OK and probably played better than Williams but I guess it will come down to matchups

Will Callan be available for selection?

Do we need another runner in the mix, or am I just not used to actually playing a tall Bulldog side.

SquirrelGrip
19-05-2008, 01:16 PM
B Callan Lake Morris
HB Gibee Williams Hargreave
C Griffen West Boyd
HF Johnson Hahn Murphy
F Giansiracusa Welsh Akermanis
Foll Hudson Cross Cooney
Int Minson Eagleton Everitt Ray
Emerg Wight Addison Hill

Your thoughts, punters?

This year we have been harder on the ball due to a few key reasons:
- players are (relatively) injury free (Cooney, Hahn, Murphy)
- we have recruited some harder bodies (Hudson, Welsh, Callan)
- we don't have a purely offensive mindset like we used to
- our gameplan is more accountable (e.g. the number of great tackles in the last 3 minutes yesterday)

Griffen isn't in the team as a half-back flanker anymore. Callen or Addison are accountable (although skilfully questionable) defenders. They are the sort of players that have made the difference.

bornadog
19-05-2008, 01:48 PM
***the final three spots on the bench will be a toss up between the following players:
Callan, Ray, Hill, Everitt, Harbrow, Addison (currently, that is the order that I would select them, with the final three as emergencies).

Just on the outer:
Wight, Skipper, Street, Tiller, Ward, O'Keefe
Your thoughts, punters?

I can't remember the last time we had so much depth.

In Ray

Out Tiller

If Callan is ok, then Hill will be dropped.

We need to keep Wight and Williams in to be ready for the Hawks talls the following week.

DOG GOD
19-05-2008, 01:53 PM
williams wont be dropped as he has been rushed back in to play on buddy in 2 weeks time.

changes IN: ray and callan (if ok) OUT: hill and tiller (if callan in)

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Agreed

West comming back even if he doesnt have a huge influence is always good..
Keeps other players open.. EG: inform Griff and Cooney.

dog town
19-05-2008, 06:33 PM
IMO Hill showed signs of coming into some form this week. Still well off what we really need but my gut says he is not far away. Had some important touches and tried to get more involved.

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 09:30 AM
IMO Hill showed signs of coming into some form this week. Still well off what we really need but my gut says he is not far away. Had some important touches and tried to get more involved.

Can we afford to carry him for another round as he hasn't given us much for 3/4 weeks?

There is no doubt we carried Hill, Tiller, Wight, Williams and Johnson(had influence as the captain but not much in play) this week. We can't do that against good teams not prone to choke. I'd be changing at least 2 of those so at the very least in sends a message.

Mantis
20-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Can we afford to carry him for another round as he hasn't given us much for 3/4 weeks?

There is no doubt we carried Hill, Tiller, Wight, Williams and Johnson(had influence as the captain but not much in play) this week. We can't do that against good teams not prone to choke. I'd be changing at least 2 of those so at the very least in sends a message.

I think it depends on who we are replacing these players with.

For me Ray simply has to play this week. If Callan is right he comes straight back whereas West looks to be another week away.

From there it gets difficult. Street and Skipper have been in the emergencies over the past few weeks and look close to selection. And we have a couple of first year players in O'Keefe and Ward who continue to put there names forward, but while we are continuing to win it is hard to make changes.

I would think a few might be rotated over the next few weeks to have a look at what a few other's have to offer before we get to the business end of the season.

aker39
20-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I would think a few might be rotated over the next few weeks to have a look at what a few other's have to offer before we get to the business end of the season.

I see no reason to change a winning combination.

In 2005 and 2006 the Swans used the least amount of players of any team.

GetDimmaBack
20-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Finally, no-one is pushing for Addison to be omitted this week.
Looks like he's gained some cred!

Good to have depth without a stack of injuries ATM isn't it?

Topdog
20-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Is this Boomers 250th? I bloody hope not

Sedat
20-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Sure is. Surely you were in awe of the deification of Archer in last year's corresponding fixture - the only thing missing was a King of Moomba costume and the keys to the city. North get fired up when one of their players loses a set of car keys, let alone has a major milestone game. North are a tricky proposition at the best of times, let alone when the boys want to "do it for Boomer" :rolleyes:

The Underdog
20-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Sure is. Surely you were in awe of the deification of Archer in last year's corresponding fixture - the only thing missing was a King of Moomba costume and the keys to the city. North get fired up when one of their players loses a set of car keys, let alone has a major milestone game. North are a tricky proposition at the best of times, let alone when the boys want to "do it for Boomer" :rolleyes:

Yeah but I'm not sure that spirit is as strong without Archer in the team, he was the shinboner of the century you know:rolleyes:. After watching him on FC this year, it's obvious Archer inspired with actions rather than words...
The "spirit" hasn't really risen it's head this year and I just don't think their depth is that great. Not that I'd write them off at any stage but we should by all rights get over them.

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 05:48 PM

North are better than Freo is the reason.

Mantis
20-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Not necessarily.

North have been pretty ordinary this year whereas Freo really should have won there last 3. Yes we can argue to the cows come home that they have squandered there opportunities, but they have played some pretty good footy against 2 of the top 3 teams to get themselves in winning positions.

FrediKanoute
20-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Funny how we see games diff , i thought Tiller tried hard today and Hill did ok, thought Wight and Williams were shocking.

I agree on Hill, he wasn't dominant be generally when he was involved he did good things. Should have slotted the easy goal, but was a contributor.

Tiller, wasn't bad, just didn't get involved enough. May have been due to a lack of game time though I think he found the pace of the game difficult.

Williams I'll give the benefit of the doubt too b/c he was obviously underdone and needs time.

Wight's game......really was awful. The kick across goal to Pavlich and the fact Tarrant gave him a bath.....

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Not necessarily.

North have been pretty ordinary this year whereas Freo really should have won there last 3. Yes we can argue to the cows come home that they have squandered there opportunities, but they have played some pretty good footy against 2 of the top 3 teams to get themselves in winning positions.

If we play the way we did for 3 quarters against North we will lose. 1 quarter of football isn't good enough for North.
I agree Freo have played good football against good opposition but I still don't rate them.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I would have Addison in before Hill

On current form I would agree and with Cullan out Addison is a little more valuable.

bornadog
20-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Agree, however, Callan will come back in. I believe for Tiller.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-05-2008, 09:37 PM

North are not as good as last year and even with Boomers milestone game we should but them away just nicely. I think that Thompson has back has changed their winning game plan and the Ruck/Onballers are currently off the pace.

Freo well they really are a box of chocolates - You just don't know what your going to get!

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 09:40 PM
North are not as good as last year and even with Boomers milestone game we should but them away just nicely.
Again I'll state if we played as badly this week again we will lose as North are not Freo.

Freo well they really are a box of chocolates - You just don't know what your going to get!
I disagree with that as well. We knew they were prone to choke. No surprises.

Mantis
20-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I disagree with that as well. We knew they were prone to choke. No surprises.

Is choking the same as running out of gas?

Freo were out on there feet in the last qtr and lost the game because of this reason. I think that is a sign of not being fit enough and to me it has nothing to do with choking.

Stevo
20-05-2008, 10:09 PM

Freo were out on there feet in the last qtr and lost the game because of this reason. I think that is a sign of not being fit enough and to me it has nothing to do with choking.

Thats they way I took it. They have faded a few times and I think most teams would know that. If you can get close to them late in the game you are in with a big chance.

ledge
20-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Hopefully the trip and hard game hasnt exhausted us for North

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 11:21 PM

IIRC arent the Roos one of the best teams in milestone matches? I think their record is fairly spotless.

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Whether you think its choking or a lack of fitness, North won't make the same mistake.

1eyedog
21-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Neither, they have simply forgotten how to win, how to play disciplined footy and Harvey does not inspire them to it.

Topdog
21-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Whether you think its choking or a lack of fitness, North won't make the same mistake.

Agree.

Coming into last week we knew that Freo would slow down in the last and we would win the last quarter.

We can not say the same about North regardless of how good / poor they have been.

Simply if we play those 3 quarters the same we will lose a lot of games.

Mantis
21-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Neither, they have simply forgotten how to win, how to play disciplined footy and Harvey does not inspire them to it.

Bollocks...

Do they switch from disciplined to un-disciplined footy at 3/4 time??

1eyedog
21-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Bollocks...

Do they switch from disciplined to un-disciplined footy at 3/4 time??

Of course they do, how do you explain their 4th quarter fade outs? They simply cannot play four quarters of footy, how else would you describe it other than undisciplined? Leading at 3/4 time I think they feel they have done enough and just try to play to stay in front if you like, rather than try to attack and win. It is not an issue of skill or cattle or tactics. They just go to shit when they have a chance of winning and it can only be through playing undisciplined 4th quarter football.

Mantis
21-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Of course they do, how do you explain their 4th quarter fade outs? They simply cannot play four quarters of footy, how else would you describe it other than undisciplined? Leading at 3/4 time I think they feel they have done enough and just try to play to stay in front if you like, rather than try to attack and win. It is not an issue of skill or cattle or tactics. They just go to shit when they have a chance of winning and it can only be through undisciplined football.

One word which you refuse to use is fitness.

1eyedog
21-05-2008, 06:23 PM
One word which you refuse to use is fitness.

All AFL players are at peak fitness and rotations these days make sure that everyone gets a rest to enable 4 quarters of football. I am astounded to think that some teams are not fully fit, it seems that fitness is the fist thing you would get in the pre-season. Still, you may be right.

Mantis
21-05-2008, 06:31 PM
All AFL players are at peak fitness and rotations these days make sure that everyone gets a rest to enable 4 quarters of football. I am astounded to think that some teams are not fully fit, it seems that fitness is the fist thing you would get in the pre-season. Still, you may be right.

Having just finished watching the last qtr...again, the Freo player's were running up and down on the spot.

There movement and running to position was almost non-existent.. they seem to have too many player's who cannot run out a full game of AFL footy.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Having just finished watching the last qtr...again, the Freo player's were running up and down on the spot.

There movement and running to position was almost non-existent.. they seem to have too many player's who cannot run out a full game of AFL footy.

This is possibly the most important factor in AFL Football today; fitness. Not so long ago, Essendon were in a similar positions whereby they would be competitive & in winning positions right up to 3qtr time, but would fade, and they really struggled to win a last qtr at all. May have been 2006? Either way, it was well documented.

Fremantle are clearly in the same position. Players like Pavlich, Sandilands, Crowley, Carr, Bell & even McPharlin, Peake, Schammer & Farmer are all quality players but they tend to go missing after a while. On the contrary, it's why we've been so successful this year. We ran over Adelaide in the last few minutes, we ran over Essendon in the last quarter, we pegged Richmond back for a draw & again put away Freo in the last. That's four games of football - it makes a big difference, and when you consider Freo are at the other end of the spectrum and have lost them all (Geelong, Melb, Us) then it really can hurt a side.

My question is how & why? You would think all AFL clubs would have the programs and staff to make sure that their players can run out full games.

dog town
21-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I think generally its more mental than fitness in these situations. Freo were simply afraid that they would lose again. When those sort of losses start piling up you can really become scared to take the game on and risk losing. IMO they were that worried about us coming over the top of them that they went defensive. It can even be sort of a sub conscious thing. I know my local side has choked a couple of times gainst our arch rivals in the last year or so and on those occasions I thought we just went a bit defensive out of fear of losing. Fitness plays a part but I think mentally Freo are in a bit of strife at the moment.

Mantis
21-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Fitness plays a part but I think mentally Freo are in a bit of strife at the moment.

Yeah they are, but my point is that they didn't seem to have any players able to 'gut run' in the last qtr. They required one or more of there midfielders to be able to break free to allow players delivering from our forwardline the opportunity to 'switch' play and thus 'take a risk'.

We now have quite a few who can do this gut running to create an option and none better than Crossy who works as hard as any other player in the comp in criss-crossing across the ground to provide an outlet for our defenders.