PDA

View Full Version : Eagle rock

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I think at times we as supporters dont fully appreciate what Eagleton brings to the table. He's a player with some limitations but has now played 165 games for the club, had his head split open many times whilst wearing the jumper and been a very good servant. I can only imagine thta he would want to be remembered as a good footballer, good teammate and good clubman and really most of the evidence suggests that he should be.

I am not trying to stir up a anti-Eagleton sentiment but am genuinely interested what his critics thought of yesterdays performance?

I thought he was very good. I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes but in a game where our forward movements were repeatedly turnovers I thought he just continued running, getting into space and providing drive, particularly in that second half.

What do others think?

Is it time to bury the hatchet, and actually enjoy the last 1-2-3 years of the Eagles career?

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Much better yesterday after trying his best to lose the game against the Swans.

firstdogonthemoon
19-05-2008, 09:33 AM
His best is fantastic. But he is a heartbreaker. He needs to string a few more of these together so we can enjoy his contribution while it lasts, rather than waiting around for him to get left behind on an ice floe.

ledge
19-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Great game by Eagle and we know what he is capable of, i think most anti-eagles, dont not like him and no one denies he has been good, just that age is catching up and his good games are less frequent.
If he continues on yesterdays form, he should keep playing.

bornadog
19-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I have really enjoyed watching Eagle over the years, his pace and long left foot kicks have been a joy to watch. Yes he sometimes disappears in a game, but when he is hot he really is. He started the year with a BOG against Adelaide but unfortunately was injured and has taken a few weeks to get back to some form.

I love watching him kick goals on the run, like the one in the last quarter yesterday, when on the wrong side of goal for a left footer just banged it in running along the boundary line. Eagle doesnot have much strength and needs to rely on his pace, although he is starting to slow down a bit. I for one am a fan and lets hope he keeps his form up as we need every one firing.

Mantis
19-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Better performance yesterday.

My major criticism of him is as a senior player we should expect a solid performance each and every time he runs onto the field. We don't get that from Nathan. His best warrants a spot in the 22, but he must produce his best or close to it each and every week due to his obvious limitations.

On yesterday's game he plays next week, but I would think that he would have to play as well if not better over the coming weeks to maintain his place in the team. (This is only my opinion and my views may or may not be shared by Eade and co.)

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Better performance yesterday.

My major criticism of him is as a senior player we should expect a solid performance each and every time he runs onto the field. We don't get that from Nathan. His best warrants a spot in the 22, but he must produce his best or close to it each and every week due to his obvious limitations.

On yesterday's game he plays next week, but I would think that he would have to play as well if not better over the coming weeks to maintain his place in the team. (This is only my opinion and my views may or may not be shared by Eade and co.)

Eagle is safe for a while because we are carrying a few atm.

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 03:21 PM
The Bald Eagle, Love him when he gets it right. Hate it when he misses opportunities or just cannot get the ball.
Hes a player that Eade will have to use wisely because right place right time.. He could be a match winner.
Hes purely a wing running 55m shot player.. needs space to be deadly, which at times The Eagle cannot get. Hes Age is slowing him down which will inevitably be the reason he drops from the senior side.

Personally think when all our young guns start getting back into the side he will be one of the players that will have a rest.

Mantis
19-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Eagle is safe for a while because we are carrying a few atm.

Fair enough.

But I would prefer to 'carry' players who will improve with each performance and if they don't improve with each game atleast they are gaining important experience.

dog town
19-05-2008, 05:45 PM
All you can do is judge him off his performance week to week. He has been fairly poor at times this season but yesterday he was one of our major contributors. He ran his guts out all day and generally used the ball well. At one stage in the last we were looking a bit stagnant and after taking his mark he just ran at an opponent went round him and carried a line to hit a leading player on the chest.. That is the value he brings to the side when at his best. Hopefully he finds a bit more consistensy now.

1eyedog
19-05-2008, 09:51 PM
He laid 7 tackles yesterday, I don't think he's put that much heat on for quite a while. He was very nearly in my votes, he was terrific yesterday.

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 09:58 PM
He certainly put the constant knockers back in their place yesterday.

Its amazing how some players are continually alientated by some fans though. They are never pleased are they?

Good on you Eagle.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Eagle has the potential to be a match winner and as such should be sat down and told where he stands. If fully fit I would back him ahead of others in the side but yes i to agree he might find it hard to get a contract extension.

Also he is fantastic with the kids when he is not playing and I see him talking the younger guys about the game on match day. So I would think he would be a good club man and his experience would be valuable when we get into September action.

Mofra
19-05-2008, 10:01 PM
He is a helluva lot tougher than given credit for, and he has an amazing ability to run into space. Only real criticism is he can play a little loose at times which is getting dangerous in modern football for a midfielder. Certainly in our best 22 and he was one of our best yesterday.

FrediKanoute
20-05-2008, 12:13 AM
All you can do is judge him off his performance week to week. He has been fairly poor at times this season but yesterday he was one of our major contributors. He ran his guts out all day and generally used the ball well. At one stage in the last we were looking a bit stagnant and after taking his mark he just ran at an opponent went round him and carried a line to hit a leading player on the chest.. That is the value he brings to the side when at his best. Hopefully he finds a bit more consistensy now.

I think all of our players, maybe Cooney excluded ahve had good and bad games this season. Eagle for mine has been no worse than previous years, his best is sensational and his worst poor. I do think he wrongly cops a lot of criticism because he is an outside player, but you have to give him credit for yesterday.

westdog54
20-05-2008, 02:47 AM
I haven't seen any of Sunday's game but one thing that leapt off the stat sheet was that he was second in the tackle count with 7 (Morris had 8). I'm not sure whether this is an indictment on the rest of the midfield but that stat in itself is enough to tell me that he had his head down and was doing some work on Sunday.