PDA

View Full Version : Our pressure

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought our pressure for most of the game was very good but Freo always seemed to fumble the ball to a teammate somehow. Normally that kind of pressure leads to turnovers but they just didn't come.

That all changed in the last 10 minutes and we started to get the ball back off them.

Without looking at the stats, I guess:

Freo had 50+ more disposals than us (all handballs?)
They got 8-10 more frees than us
They had 10+ more inside 50's than us
They had 15+ more contested possesions than us.

We had 10+ more tackles than them
We had at least 6 players with <10 touches (Williams, Hudson, Hill, Minson, Tiller, Wight)

Great to get away with a win

Cyberdoggie
19-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I thought our pressure for most of the game was very good but Freo always seemed to fumble the ball to a teammate somehow. Normally that kind of pressure leads to turnovers but they just didn't come.

That all changed in the last 10 minutes and we started to get the ball back off them.

They had 15+ more contested possesions than us.

We had at least 6 players with <10 touches (Williams, Hudson, Hill, Minson, Tiller, Wight)

Great to get away with a win

I thought we were too tall and didn't have enough runners.

i midfielders looked spent, credit too them for the effort they put in to get us over the line.
Gonna be tough to pick up for next week.

We had williams, wight, lake, hargrave, tiller and morris in defence. Not big possesion getters or ball users. Add minson and hudson in the middle and playing on the biggest and fastest ground in the comp.
Ray should of been in the side instead of williams. I think we were a bit unbalanced.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I thought we were too tall and didn't have enough runners.

i midfielders looked spent, credit too them for the effort they put in to get us over the line.
Gonna be tough to pick up for next week.

We had williams, wight, lake, hargrave, tiller and morris in defence. Not big possesion getters or ball users. Add minson and hudson in the middle and playing on the biggest and fastest ground in the comp.
Ray should of been in the side instead of williams. I think we were a bit unbalanced.

Maybe someone told them Warnock was coming into the team?

bornadog
19-05-2008, 02:00 PM

yes 36 more, including 47 more handballs

8 more

yes

nine

Hargrave, Wight Williams and Tiller

Not bad SS

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 02:11 PM

no, we had 8 more

THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!

bornadog
19-05-2008, 02:20 PM
THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!

Sorry looked at the wrong line, Freo had 8 more.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry looked at the wrong line, Freo had 8 more.

I think we had 2 frees in the second half up until the last few minutes (where we picked up about 4 in a row).

I was thinking about Ernie going beserk in front of a TV somewhere.

ledge
19-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Ernie wasnt on his own!
The sports bar at watergardens was like a pack of Ernies.

always right
19-05-2008, 05:34 PM

I'd like there to be a quote for numbers at the ball. I think that's where the answer lies to the issue you raised.

For most of the game they had more players in support so whenever they fumbled there was another docker there to get the pill.

dog town
19-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I thought our pressure was fantastic for the majority of the game. In the last quarter it was not just our pressure on the ball carrier but more importantly our pressure on the recieving players up the ground that made the difference. Freo just could not find an outlet player coming forward and were forced to hold onto the ball which is why we collared them so much. You dont get stats for manning up hard like that but its the sort of thing we are doing so much more now.

Rach
19-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I couldn't believe the free kick count. I think at one stage it was about 24-11, so by the end we'd gotten another 7 to Freo's 2. The high tackle count was good to see.

Mantis
19-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I couldn't believe the free kick count. I think at one stage it was about 24-11, so by the end we'd gotten another 7 to Freo's 2. The high tackle count was good to see.

But is that a product of tackling well or chasing ass? Maybe a bit of both.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 06:21 PM
But is that a product of tackling well or chasing ass? Maybe a bit of both.

It depends on your context of 'chasing arse' (I hate the American spelling).

I suspect you mean that if they've always got the ball you would expect more tackles. I think we did a fantastic job of 'chasing arse'. By that I don't mean they always had the ball but when they did have it we chased hard and forced a rushed disposal.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I thought our pressure was fantastic for the majority of the game. In the last quarter it was not just our pressure on the ball carrier but more importantly our pressure on the recieving players up the ground that made the difference. Freo just could not find an outlet player coming forward and were forced to hold onto the ball which is why we collared them so much. You dont get stats for manning up hard like that but its the sort of thing we are doing so much more now.

Conversely, can you believe how easy it was for us to run down the clock in the last 3 minutes? Their manning up was woeful, allowing us 3-4 kicks backwards and sideways to free players.

dog town
19-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Conversely, can you believe how easy it was for us to run down the clock in the last 3 minutes? Their manning up was woeful, allowing us 3-4 kicks backwards and sideways to free players. No I couldn't believe it. Even a bit earlier we were able to chip it forward from defence and we never looked like stuffing it up. Cant remember a quarter played so exclusively in one half of the ground.

Mantis
19-05-2008, 06:34 PM
It depends on your context of 'chasing arse' (I hate the American spelling).

I suspect you mean that if they've always got the ball you would expect more tackles. I think we did a fantastic job of 'chasing arse'. By that I don't mean they always had the ball but when they did have it we chased hard and forced a rushed disposal.

The thing that worried me, and other poster's have alluded too as well, was that for most of the game Freo always seemed to have that extra player at or around the contest to give this rushed disposal to. Late in the game we made sure that we made sure these extra player's were manned up which created more turnovers.

Twodogs
19-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Maybe someone told them Warnock was coming into the team?

:D

Cant think who that would have been...