PDA

View Full Version : Jason Akermanis

BulldogBelle
19-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I have always been a big fan of Aker's from his Brisbane days. Enjoyed watching him play and always imagined how good it would be if he ever came to the Bulldogs.

When his book was released a few seasons back I went to Highpoint shopping centre as he was there that night signing his book and had a conversation with him and said tongue in cheek "So, when are you coming to the Dogs", he laughed and said you never know it is a funny old world.

As the years rolled on and his subsequent fallout with Brisbane occured, I was hoping like mad that he would choose the Dogs as his destination. Imagine my glee when he picked us over a few other clubs vying for his services...that made my day!

Now two years on he is really hitting his straps with the Dogs, you can sense the comraderie he has with the players now, he feels part of the team and it shows. He looks comfortable with his team mates and after the Freo game in his post game interview...he threw the words out, "They are a great bunch of blokes", that made me smile.

I am glad that Aker is a part of our team and not once did I ever think the Bulldogs made the wrong choice in recruiting him - I had faith in him from the word go!

Was everyone else as accepting of Aker as I was?

Bumper Bulldogs
19-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I am glad that Aker is a part of our team and not once did I ever think the Bulldogs made the wrong choice in recruiting him - I had faith in him from the word go!

Was everyone else as accepting of Aker as I was?

Yes fully agree I think he is fantastic and In was wrapped to the back teeth when they said we had picked him up. This year has been clearly better than last however he was injured last year and i think that he was not use to our game plan.

The only disappointment i feel we have had with Aker is i would have thought the club would have used him allot more Off field to raise their profile and drum up sponsorship.

What do you think will be on offer for him after football, Could be become a coach or will they move him on.

Well hopefully we send him on his way with a Grand final Win.

1eyedog
19-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I was worried that he would not be able to keep his mouth shut but he has handled himself with aplomb. I was also in awe of him at Brisbane, but thought I wouldn't like him as a person. Having spoken to him personally as well, I can say that he is very gracious and has genuine time for anybody.

Crizza
19-05-2008, 10:22 PM
When Aker chose us i was excited not because we were getting but becasue a high profile player, with super media attention (granted not all good) chose us; our club. I felt like we had jumped up a rung on the destination list of top AFL footballers and that from here on in we would be able to lure more big names as they became available - and in a small way i guess it is true as we attracted Hudson and Welsh.

I always admired Aker as a footballer particularly as he walked the walk after he talked the talk. His pressure play was brilliant, skills on either side of the body are exceptional.

His game on Sunday was so fantastic, watching him paid for my foxtel subscription! He showed flashes last year particularly against Port Adelaide when the game was in the balance at the Telstra Dome.

So in conclusion i was glad Aker chose us - and even as much as i admired Aker as a footballer and a character i would not have chased him. Basically because we didn't need another small, running, skilled player, we needed a big key position / ruck.

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Aker is a gun. He oozes pure class -- every time he touches the ball you know he's going to do something good with it. Forward entries via Aker end up in a forward's hands more times than not. He's made kicking set-shots from the right forward pocket his own.

My favourite player from the Lions (apart from Shaun Hart), I had my fingers crossed when he left Brisbane, although you always knew a man of his character would choose the Dogs for everything the club stood for, the character of our playing list, and the way that we played, over some flash side like Carlton, Essendon or Hawthorn.

I love Aker the man for his humour, much-maligned honesty, professionalism and depth of character, and Aker the footballer for his poise, vision, team-focus and sheer brilliance that he brings to the Dogs.

Absolute champion.

BulldogBelle
19-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I love Aker the man for his humour, much-maligned honesty, professionalism and depth of character, and Aker the footballer for his poise, vision, team-focus and sheer brilliance that he brings to the Dogs.

Yes, he really has brought some excitement to the team, after an indifferent first season with us, there was quite a few obstacles for him to overcome - him trying to find his niche, fit into a new game style, getting to know new teammates & overcoming some niggling injuries. There was never any doubt that he wouldn't adapt - the proof is in the pudding now he is finally at home with his surroundings. Great to see, I am loving it!

hujsh
19-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Thought it would be good because he could free up Cooney or West from a tag but ended up a more of a forward.

But wins matches so I'm happy with how he's ended up.

GetDimmaBack
19-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Whenever we played the Lions, it seemed that Aker beat us on his own a few times. I was always glad if he was out when we played them.
I was therefore pretty pleased when he chose us. Sort of gave us credibility, didn't it?

There were lots of rumours last year about Aker having lost his pace, lost his sure ball handling skills and so on, but his presence still added charisma to the Dogs.
I must admit I also expected him to be in the midfield more often,
but I still loved his brilliance in a number of games last year.

This year is a different story - he's got his mojo back bigtime!
When he went into the midfield for the last quarter yesterday (on Pav) I thought we were a real chance to pinch it because his confidence is up and he can produce some magic in the middle. Did he ever!!

If it wasn't before, picking him up is totally, totally justified now!
The boy can play!
And don't we love it?

ledge
19-05-2008, 11:23 PM
One recruit out of the box.

BulldogBelle
19-05-2008, 11:28 PM
When he went into the midfield for the last quarter yesterday (on Pav) I thought we were a real chance to pinch it because his confidence is up and he can produce some magic in the middle. Did he ever!!

Yes, good move that switching with Cooney in that last quarter. Aker has always said he wants to still play in the Midfield and that he he still could - guess after his performance in that last quarter he might play there a few more times in the ensuing games. It is all good!

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 12:08 AM
i was pleased when we got aka, he's a superstar as he showed with the lions, and for him to choose the dogs was great, good to have a player with so much experience and reputation as a good footballer (forget his 'big mouth' in the media) come to the team. i always thought he was goin to be a bit of a replacement for rohan smith when he retired, when smithy used ta go in to the forward line and kick a goal, his first yr wasnt all that great (due to injury etc) but this yr he has been brilliant for us and the best thing about aka is we didnt have to give up 1 of our good players for a trade

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Geez, i was X-Static. To have the most exciting player on and off the field in our team was gunna be much fun.

We saw last yr maybe the aker of old has completely gone, but this year we're seeing him back at his best when he was playin for Brisbane, hope he keeps on keeping on for us

Go_Dogs
20-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Give him license to do whatever he wants at the moment, he is in fantastic touch. This year has already surpassed last year, and it's not even the half way mark. Hopefully he can continue on for another 2 years.

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 07:36 PM
OK BB, I'm finally on the Aker bandwagon after today. Yes, yes it's taken a while, but he's certainly something special and I'm glad our club picked him up. He just knows exactly where to kick or pass the ball. As Lantern posted in another thread Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Aker as a centre square combo is excellent, and scarily capable of improvement.

Go Aker :)

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 08:46 PM
As Crizza said; 'Aker choose us' ---- along with Hudson and Welsh.

Isn't it great that the the Club's performance is 'giving' something back to everyone, especially these players.

Over the years we would have had to pay top dollar to lure players to the club - now they want to come to our club.

As for Aker, couldn't be happier with form, and would like to see the team encourage him to do the 'occasional' hand stand - eg when he has performed exceptionally well.

BulldogBelle
31-05-2008, 08:56 PM
OK BB, I'm finally on the Aker bandwagon after today. Yes, yes it's taken a while, but he's certainly something special and I'm glad our club picked him up. He just knows exactly where to kick or pass the ball. As Lantern posted in another thread Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Aker as a centre square combo is excellent, and scarily capable of improvement.

Go Aker :)

Well done MsBulldog - Aker wanted to be part of our team and publicly declared that before he made his way over to us. In my book, that said it all. As I have mentioned I have always been a fan of his and to see him in our side is great.

LostDoggy
01-06-2008, 09:43 AM
This might sound a bit over the top, but Aker could be a Brownlow smokey based on last few weeks performances- apologies to cooney of course, but Aker's obvious visibility and finishing prowess would stand out I imagine to the ever-so slightly myopic men in orange, yellow, white,etc.

Mofra
01-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Ignoring his on-field improvement, he has helped up in a couple of other ways.

This morning he was on channel 7 and reveled he is also our tackle coach. When he leads the way with 7 tackles, Gia has 7 and Cooney 6, it shows he is influential amongst the group.

He also gets plenty of media time which helps our profile. Definately a successful pairing.

BulldogBelle
01-06-2008, 02:03 PM
This morning he was on channel 7 and reveled he is also our tackle coach. When he leads the way with 7 tackles, Gia has 7 and Cooney 6, it shows he is influential amongst the group.

He is comfortable now with the group and his surroundings, he is back to his playing weight and in his words has got 'his power back'. He with his knowledge of premiership success and what is required to attain that will help our guys especially the younger ones. Instil that hunger into them and push them to the maximum.

Sedat
02-06-2008, 01:59 AM
From a perception point of view, Aker choosing the Dogs over all other clubs was a massive statement of confidence in the club. It was not so long ago that journeymen of limited ability like Ben Holland and Jade Rawlings were openly hostile towards the thought of coming to our club. Those days are over.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
His form has been outstanding, and he has been one of our most consistent contributors this season. Thankfully he is spending more time in the midfield, where he is showing it is still his most effective spot. His ball use, especially by foot, combined with his vision is first class. In combination with guys like Gilbee, Murphy, Griffen, Gia and Cooney we have some of the best ball movers in the AFL.

dog town
02-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Amazingly talented player. Seems to be a leader amongst the group as well. You just know that he is going to fire in September which is a bonus.

Mantis
02-06-2008, 06:09 PM
His kicking to position is amazing. He kicks the ball to where his team-mate should be not to where they want to be. He demands the leading player to bust his gut to get to this spot which gives the opposition player no chance to effect a spoil.

He can do this off one-step, walking backwards or at full pace.

LostDoggy
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
His kicking to position is amazing. He kicks the ball to where his team-mate should be not to where they want to be. He demands the leading player to bust his gut to get to this spot which gives the opposition player no chance to effect a spoil.

He can do this off one-step, walking backwards or at full pace.

Absolutely amazing vision and kicking ability. Just amazing. If he can be the one delivering into our forward 50 most of the time Big Will will score 50 goals.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Amazingly talented player. Seems to be a leader amongst the group as well. You just know that he is going to fire in September which is a bonus.

Yes and that is the exciting bit he has been there and done that numerous occasions - this is where his knowlege of the big stage will inspire the others.

Topdog
02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
His field kicking is 2nd to none. I never actually thought of it too much before but what Mantis said about kicking it to where there should be is spot on.

Others are learning from it too. Johnno seems to do it at times, which is a bonus.

Hopefully when this guy retires he stays on as a coach of some description.

Mofra
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Hopefully when this guy retires he stays on as a coach of some description.
They've already started to stitch him up for the gig - he is currently our tackling coach according to his comments on Seven's Sunday morning footy program