PDA

View Full Version : Round 9, 2008 Opposition Player Focus: Brent Harvey

bornadog
20-05-2008, 09:26 PM
This week’s player focus is on Boomer Brent Harvey who is set to play his 250th game for North Melbourne. After debuting in round 22 -1996 and collecting a total of one handball, Harvey has gone on to be one of the best for the Kangaroos averaging 19.8 disposals per game. Currently leading the Kangaroos with most possessions and at the age of 30, this pocket dynamo can be a game winner. Boomer got his name when he won the Preston RSL under-12 best and fairest and the person making the award introduced him by saying, "and this one's a little boomer". He was seven at the time.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/05001543871400.jpg

D.O.B: May 14 1978 (age 30) Recruited from Preston RSL/ Northern U18.
Height and Weight: 172cm/76kg
Debut: Round 22 1996 (also played in reserves 1996 Grand Final)
Games: 249
Goals: 285

Career Highlights

• Premiership in 1999
• EJ Whitten Medal 1999
• Jim Stynes Medal 2003 (International rules)
• Three times All Australian
• Three times Best and fairest
• Runner up in Brownlow 2007

Other career highlights

• 29 disps (24 kicks 5 hballs), 14 marks and 2 goals in Rd 16 72-pt loss to Adelaide at AAMI Stadium (21 Jul 2006)
• 34 disps (24 kicks 10 hballs), 9 marks and 2 goals in Rd 19 6-pt win over Collingwood at Telstra Dome (7 Aug 2005)
• 33 disps (22 kicks 11 hballs), 6 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 19 1-pt loss to Fremantle at the MCG (10 Aug 2003)
• 40 disps (28 kicks 12 hballs), 6 marks and 2 goals in Rd 13 33-pt loss to Collingwood at Telstra Dome (29 Jun 2002)
• 36 disps (21 kicks 15 hballs), 6 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 19 49-pt win over Geelong at Telstra Dome (10 Aug 2001)
• 38 disps (29 kicks 9 hballs), 6 marks and 2 goals in Rd 7 12-pt win over St Kilda at Telstra Dome (22 Apr 2000)

Harvey was one of the best for the Roos in 2007 and has continued his form into 2008. Whether he plays on a half forward flank or swings into the midfield, Harvey is very hard to match up on. He possesses electrifying speed and can read the ball off the pack like a true old fashion rover. Although he hasn’t kicked many goals in his career his goal assists as well as his ability to bring others into the game make him a dangerous player. Often tagged by the opposition, he has learnt to break the tag and has averaged over 21 disposals in his last 7 seasons. Against Sydney, earlier this year, among his 22 touches, the North Melbourne star kicked a goal, assisted in two others, had a run and a bounce, and went inside 50 five times. Often found making space on his own, the doggies will need to make sure he is manned up and not allowed to run and bounce and deliver the ball inside 50 to the dangerous Roos forwards. An area of concern is he can go missing for periods in a game, however, he can bounce back quickly and kick a couple of unexpected goals and break the game open.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4Q0WVJ1No

It will be a big day for Harvey playing his 250th and North will be trying hard to win it for him, however, the dogs are different this season, they are believing in themselves and growing in confidence and have a never say die attitude.

GVGjr
20-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Great thread.

This bloke is a phenomenal player and has been for a long time. Stopping him will go a long way to the Doggies getting another victory.

Stevo
20-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes there is a lot to admire about Boomer Harvey. One of the most respected players in the competition. Given it's his 250th the Kangaroos will be hell bent on getting a win. This should be a great tussle.

ledge
20-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Did anyone see the Dreamteam v Vics interview when he said only his mum calls him Brent, came across as a really nice bloke.
Sometimes i relate him to Bell, fantastic footballer but doesnt get the recognition some other lower class footballers get.
I respect him and its sad he is playing us otherwise i would wish him a great game and a win.

LostDoggy
20-05-2008, 10:40 PM
This week’s player focus is on Boomer Brent Harvey who is set to play his 250th game for North Melbourne. After debuting in round 22 -1996 and collecting a total of one handball, Harvey has gone on to be one of the best for the Kangaroos averaging 19.8 disposals per game. Currently leading the Kangaroos with most possessions and at the age of 30, this pocket dynamo can be a game winner. Boomer got his name when he won the Preston RSL under-12 best and fairest and the person making the award introduced him by saying, "and this one's a little boomer". He was seven at the time.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/05001543871400.jpg

D.O.B: May 14 1978 (age 30) Recruited from Preston RSL/ Northern U18.
Height and Weight: 172cm/76kg
Debut: Round 22 1996 (also played in reserves 1996 Grand Final)
Games: 249
Goals: 285

Career Highlights

• Premiership in 1999
• EJ Whitten Medal 1999
• Jim Stynes Medal 2003 (International rules)
• Three times All Australian
• Three times Best and fairest
• Runner up in Brownlow 2007

Other career highlights

• 29 disps (24 kicks 5 hballs), 14 marks and 2 goals in Rd 16 72-pt loss to Adelaide at AAMI Stadium (21 Jul 2006)
• 34 disps (24 kicks 10 hballs), 9 marks and 2 goals in Rd 19 6-pt win over Collingwood at Telstra Dome (7 Aug 2005)
• 33 disps (22 kicks 11 hballs), 6 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 19 1-pt loss to Fremantle at the MCG (10 Aug 2003)
• 40 disps (28 kicks 12 hballs), 6 marks and 2 goals in Rd 13 33-pt loss to Collingwood at Telstra Dome (29 Jun 2002)
• 36 disps (21 kicks 15 hballs), 6 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 19 49-pt win over Geelong at Telstra Dome (10 Aug 2001)
• 38 disps (29 kicks 9 hballs), 6 marks and 2 goals in Rd 7 12-pt win over St Kilda at Telstra Dome (22 Apr 2000)

Harvey was one of the best for the Roos in 2007 and has continued his form into 2008. Whether he plays on a half forward flank or swings into the midfield, Harvey is very hard to match up on. He possesses electrifying speed and can read the ball off the pack like a true old fashion rover. Although he hasn’t kicked many goals in his career his goal assists as well as his ability to bring others into the game make him a dangerous player. Often tagged by the opposition, he has learnt to break the tag and has averaged over 21 disposals in his last 7 seasons. Against Sydney, earlier this year, among his 22 touches, the North Melbourne star kicked a goal, assisted in two others, had a run and a bounce, and went inside 50 five times. Often found making space on his own, the doggies will need to make sure he is manned up and not allowed to run and bounce and deliver the ball inside 50 to the dangerous Roos forwards. An area of concern is he can go missing for periods in a game, however, he can bounce back quickly and kick a couple of unexpected goals and break the game open.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4Q0WVJ1No

It will be a big day for Harvey playing his 250th and North will be trying hard to win it for him, however, the dogs are different this season, they are believing in themselves and growing in confidence and have a never say die attitude.

More than one a game is pretty good for a midfielder/small forward. He will retire with around 350 goals to his name. Fairly handy i would of thought. Quality player for a long period of time.

Dry Rot
20-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Good choice bornadog - a real danger player when on song and seems a pretty nice bloke off the field.

And he'll be hellbent on making his 250th memorable.

Mantis
21-05-2008, 08:16 AM
He certainly is a very good player.

So who get's the big job on him. Does our no.1 tagger in Boyd stand Boomer or do we give the job to Addison or Callan (if fit)? One from left field maybe Gilbee who is struggling with form, perhaps a defensive job maybe the best way of running him into form.

Bulldog Revolution
21-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Terrific post Bornadog

He is one of there barometers, when he is up and firing they are very hard to stop, and he's played well against us over the years, was damaging at the dome last year towards the end of the year from memory.

Harvey is a gun, and has been for a long time. To achieve what he has at his size is an incredible testament to his ability and consistency.

1eyedog
21-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Admire him greatly. Super player, the best small man I have seen in a long long time. You can't really stop Boomer, we just need someone on him playing super defensive and then try to kick more goals than they do through him.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Good thread and good choice. For mine we don't have an obvious match up that looks perfect for Harvey, but I feel Boyd going to him is probably the best option. It'll be interesting who we use if Harvey spends some time forward, but given it's his milestone game, I expect him to play the majority in the guts.

As Mantis mentioned Addison or Callan could be other options.

Quite like the Gilbee idea too Mantis...similarly sized players and probably match up pretty well. Could also allow Gilbee to perhaps escape from any tag/close checking the Roos place on him. Would be good to see him have a run through the middle too.

BulldogBelle
22-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Great post Bornadog,

Harvey a very good choice to write about, North will be doing everything to get the team over the line to honour Harvey. He gives his all to the Kangaroos and this Sunday will be no different - Boyd seems to be the man to keep him in check. One thing with Boomer once he gets going, there is no stopping him.

LostDoggy
22-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Great thread.

Boomer is a gun. He would kill Callan for pace and reading the play, and be a bit too classy for Addison, I suspect. Boydy would be the only obvious match-up, or Crossy, or the Gilbee idea. Gilbee would go close to matching Boomer for pace and talent and would be an interesting one to see if Harvey goes with him on the rebound.

Last thing we need though is a shootout. An in-close, tight game with no space, and our greater spread of skill across the ground will win out. Too much space, and their honest triers ie. Petrie or Jones may have another stand-out day.

bornadog
26-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Did anyone see Harvey deliberatly kick addison in the head. It happened right in front of me in the forward pocket last quarter.

hujsh
26-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Did anyone see Harvey deliberatly kick addison in the head. It happened right in front of me in the forward pocket last quarter.

Did DFA rip Boomers head off?

G-Mo77
26-05-2008, 02:33 PM
What actually happened to him in the first quarter? It was a marking contest with Shaggy and he was left down and out. At first I thought he was playing for the free and when I saw his arms shoot up like Monty from 2006 I imediatly was pretty concerned. It's a pretty ugly sight to see someone like that.

hujsh
26-05-2008, 04:47 PM
What actually happened to him in the first quarter? It was a marking contest with Shaggy and he was left down and out. At first I thought he was playing for the free and when I saw his arms shoot up like Monty from 2006 I imediatly was pretty concerned. It's a pretty ugly sight to see someone like that.

Shaggy fell on him on the way down.

Sockeye Salmon
26-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Shaggy fell on him on the way down.

I think his knee got him in the head

bornadog
26-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Did DFA rip Boomers head off?

He didn't get a chance and may have thought it was accidental as he was lying face down and boomer could have jumped over him but instead kicked him in the head.