PDA

View Full Version : Finals Experience...

FrediKanoute
22-05-2008, 11:18 PM
As a side we are travelling pretty well at the moment and without wanting to get ahead of the situation I admit to dreaming a little and contemplating what could be in September. What true fan wouldn't?

Hypothetically, if we win enough games this season to make the finals, I wonder if our lack of finals experience will hurt us. The majority of the side have played in only one final. Sure guys like Johnno, Westy, Huddo, Welsh and Aka will have played in a few, but guys like Murphy and Hahn (Keys to our success this season) will not even have played in 1.

Will the lack of experience hurt us like it did in 1985 and 1992 where we struggled in our first final. The consequences of losing a final back then weren't that signifciant since all finals were played in Victoria, but now a loss could see us in Adelaide or Sydney. I wonder what we could do to compensate for this inexperience.

1eyedog
23-05-2008, 12:38 AM
As a side we are travelling pretty well at the moment and without wanting to get ahead of the situation I admit to dreaming a little and contemplating what could be in September. What true fan wouldn't?

Hypothetically, if we win enough games this season to make the finals, I wonder if our lack of finals experience will hurt us. The majority of the side have played in only one final. Sure guys like Johnno, Westy, Huddo, Welsh and Aka will have played in a few, but guys like Murphy and Hahn (Keys to our success this season) will not even have played in 1.

Will the lack of experience hurt us like it did in 1985 and 1992 where we struggled in our first final. The consequences of losing a final back then weren't that signifciant since all finals were played in Victoria, but now a loss could see us in Adelaide or Sydney. I wonder what we could do to compensate for this inexperience.

Most of the team played in two finals in 2006 but I know what you mean. Elimination final against Collingwood (which of course we won) and the Semi against West Coast over there (Bubba's last game) which we got smashed. I think we are a different team this season and think the run through the 2006 final series would have done us good. We have a good mix of older veterans with heaps of experience and a healthy dose of young pups who had a taste in 2006 and are keen for more.

LostDoggy
23-05-2008, 01:36 PM
There's only one remedy for this lack of finals experience:

To play finals.

strebla
23-05-2008, 02:36 PM

WE may be inexperienced but do you all remember how good Cooney was he loves the big stage

ledge
23-05-2008, 03:07 PM
How many finals did Geelong play in the year before they won last year??
Maybe its a sign.

LostDoggy
23-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Maybe its a sign.

They played a few actually from memory it went like this fot the cats:

2007: Flag
2006: Dodggy year (But won NAB)
2005: Prelim lost to the swans in sydney on pretty much last kick of the night IIRC
2004: Prelim lost to the lions at the MCG

Can't beat experiance however tell that to the baby bombers of 1993.

At the end of it all you have to take any chance you get.

Sockeye Salmon
23-05-2008, 05:27 PM
They played a few actually from memory it went like this fot the cats:

2007: Flag
2006: Dodggy year (But won NAB)
2005: Prelim lost to the swans in sydney on pretty much last kick of the night IIRC2004: Prelim lost to the lions at the MCG

Can't beat experiance however tell that to the baby bombers of 1993.

At the end of it all you have to take any chance you get.

The Nick Davis game was the semi rather than the prelim.

ledge
23-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe its a sign.

I will repeat the question ,how may finals games did Geelong play in the year before they won the flag.
Dont recall asking about any other years.
We played 2 Finals game that year so experience one year , miss the next and win the one after.
Also were calls for the sacking of Thommo mmm theres some similarities i can see.

LostDoggy
23-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Sockeye your right I guess the point I was getting at also is that it took a few finals campaigns before the dominant proformance of last year. In total they played 8 finals including the grad final in the previous mentioned years.
2004: 3
2005: 2
2006: 0
2007:3

ledge
23-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Actually from your figures they played 5 in previous years and 3 in the year they won it.
We have 2 from 2006, if you count finals this year well i am guessing at the least we will play one, and if we continue the way we are going it will be at least 2, so maybe your saying its not this year but next year is our year.
Personally i am impatient, bugger the stats they mean jack, i want this year!!