PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Brown

GetDimmaBack
23-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Something I ask myself occasionally:
Assuming he had no serious injuries, would we be a better side had Nathan Brown never left?

Just wondering...

ledge
23-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Interesting question , as a player he is great but around the club i believe he is up himself so i think it would negate itself out or possibly worse.
Some say Wallaces problem was he had favourites and Browny was one of them , he wouldnt do schools and stuff so i think that would break up team cohesion.

1eyedog
23-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Assuming he had no serious injuries, would we be a better side had Nathan Brown never left?

Just wondering...

Brown for Akermanis, not a bad swap, even if Aka's use by date is closer than Brown's, Aka's experience this final campaign will be worth its weight in gold, he loves finals. Brown could not kick straight at Footscray. Good riddance but I don't hold a grudge as he has got whet he deserves at Richmond.

Sockeye Salmon
23-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Brown for Akermanis, not a bad swap, even if Aka's use by date is closer than Brown's, Aka's experience this final campaign will be worth its weight in gold, he loves finals. Brown could not kick straight at Footscray. Good riddance but I don't hold a grudge as he has got whet he deserves at Richmond.

Aker is only 12 months older than Brown, and playing better football than him ATM.

Aker born Feb 77
Brown born Feb 78

Go_Dogs
23-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Aker is only 12 months older than Brown, and playing better football than him ATM.

And can quite likely keep playing for as long as Brown will anyway.

The Coon Dog
23-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Aker born Feb 77
Brown born Feb 78

I bet if you asked most people the general perception is that Aker is about 5 years older than Brown.

ledge
23-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I bet if you asked most people the general perception is that Aker is about 5 years older than Brown.

You hit nail on head there, i thought that, Aker looks 5 years older too!
If one year is the difference i am rapt we have Aker just wish we picked him up when Browny left!

Sedat
23-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Just wondering...
We would have surely lost a couple of Gilbee, Hahn, Hargrave, Murphy, Gia and others, as Brown would have eaten up a massive chunk of our salary cap. Him leaving also freed up the chance for others to grow and develop. It would have been an even better result for the club had we not urinated the picks we got for him down the drain.

MrMahatma
23-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Might've meant we won an extra game or two and missed out on priority picks also....

hujsh
23-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Might've meant we won an extra game or two and missed out on priority picks also....

Good point.

LostDoggy
24-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Would the best small forward in the game make a difference to our side?? Of course he would

GetDimmaBack
24-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Would the best small forward in the game make a difference to our side?? Of course he would

I reckon Johnno would nearly take that title, wouldn't he?
About Browny's height & weight. A bit more durable, too.
Admittedly Brown's injury was an almost unbelievable thing...

LostDoggy
24-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Ah browny.

Good Riddance i say, if you wanna kill your career hes going the right way about it.

Anyone else get a big laugh after the Dogs/Tigers game, seeing him put his hands up in celebration. I saw it from my seat, stand up pointed and laughed...

He may have a football brain, but he aint got a mathematical brain :)

ledge
24-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Wouldnt call him the best.

GVGjr
24-05-2008, 10:53 AM

He's a great footballer and whilst I wasn't happy with the way he jerked us around with his negotiation before heading to the Tigers he would have made an enormous difference to the team.

Mofra
24-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Just wondering...
We only had room to increas ethe salary of either Murphy or Brown. Brown had a great year, won AA selection, and was offered a lower contract, which he (in his right to do) baulked at.

I'm still happy we backed the right pony.

LostDoggy
24-05-2008, 05:06 PM
We only had room to increas ethe salary of either Murphy or Brown. Brown had a great year, won AA selection, and was offered a lower contract, which he (in his right to do) baulked at.

I find that hard to believe (lower contract).
Do you know that for a fact?

Brown is far from the best small forward in game these days.

The Underdog
24-05-2008, 05:15 PM
A fit Nathan Brown would undoubtedly make us a better team. Despite how we all may feel about him he is a quality footballer although has struggled with injuries. The question is who would we have had to lose to keep him.
Would we have been able to pick up Akermanis?
Would we have finished better in 04 and not been able to pick up Griff and missed a priority?

Mofra
24-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I find that hard to believe (lower contract).
Do you know that for a fact?

Brown is far from the best small forward in game these days.
Been told by someone close to the club (not 1000% but I trust his input), apparently a reluctance to fulfil all his non-football commitments didn't help either.

Agree with point 2 - he would be behind Johnno & Aker at the Bulldogs alone at the moment.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I think if he had stayed we would not have a tight group as we know it now. Murf and a few still stay in contact with him but Brown was just heading the wrong way with us and I think he needed a new environment as well.:P