PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

GVGjr
25-05-2008, 09:27 AM
This is the discussion thread for this evenings game.

North have given us some tremendous challenges over the last few years and todays game should be no exception.

Petrie has normally played well against us so I hope we can control him.

Welsh to get the first goal and the Dogs by 15 points with Giansiracusa BOG

Max469
25-05-2008, 09:41 AM
North will come out firing on all cylinders, wanting to win for Boomer.

We will need to be on song and play 4 quarters of good football to pull this one off.

Dogs by 12 points - BOG - Bob Murphy

Go_Dogs
25-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Dogs by 30 points, Welsh to kick the first and a bag. BOG - Cross.

bornadog
25-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Murphy first goal

Cooney BOG

Dogs by 24 points

1eyedog
25-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Yes Welsh will slot the first (and get a bag on Gibson), Cross BOG and Dogs by 17 points.

The Underdog
25-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Eagleton for first goal

Cooney for BOG

Dogs by 8 points

This game is suddenly quite big, we could go into 2nd spot and be 2 and a half games ahead of Adelaide in fourth. Not to mention putting us an extra game clear of one of the teams who have had a draw.

GO DOGS

The Coon Dog
25-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I get the feeling that this might end up in a blowout.

Dogs by 64 points & Johnno to get the first goal.

Rach
25-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm gonna go Minson to get first goal :o
BOG - Hahn
Dogs by 21 points

wimberga
25-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Murphy for First Goal
BOG - Aker
Dogs by 17

Topdog
25-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Welsh first goal.
Murphy 3 goals.
Griffen B.O.G

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Gia first goal
Cooney BOG
Dogs by..... 17 points we'll say!

Rocket Science
25-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Giansiracusa to pot our first major.

Gilbs to bounce back hard and grab BOG honours.

Scrays to prevail by 3 points.

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Cooney first goal.
Lake BOG
Dogs by 12 points.

bulldog
25-05-2008, 01:02 PM
dogs by 23
griff bog
johnno and welsh 4 each
mitch first goal

BulldogBelle
25-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Will be a very close game, Dogs by 14 points.

Cooney BOG and Murphy to kick the first goal.

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Dogs by 16pts

Johnno Firt goal, Cross BOG

Bumper Bulldogs
25-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Akar first Goal

Coons BOG

Bulldogs by 38 points, With a 9 goal 3rd qtr

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Aker for 1st goal.
Aker BOG.
Dogs by 52 pts

Happy Days
25-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Murph to kick the 1st,
Cooney for BOG
Dogs by 30

Scorlibo
25-05-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Quarter: NMK 5.3.33 v WB 5.3.33

Positives: Three catalyst players in Griffen, Cooney and Akermanis are firing.

Negatives: Allowed them 4 (four) time on goals.

Scorlibo
25-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Half Time: WB 11.7.73 v NMK 7.7.49

Positives: 6 goal to 2 second quarter, Cooney, Akermanis traveling very nicely. Now we have a 24 point buffer which we can hopefully build on in the third quarter in preparation for a passionate Roos last quarter.

Negatives: 9 players with 5 disposals or less. Wells is getting too much of the pill.

Scorlibo
25-05-2008, 07:48 PM
3QTR Time: WB 14.10.94 v NMK 12.11.83

Positives: We are ahead:o, Cooney is on fire, Murph and Lindsay getting more involved.

Negatives: Lost the third quarter 4 goals to 2. Nathan Thompson has 4 goals. We have less than a two goal buffer going into a last quarter in which North will be desperate to win for Harvey.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Well it's finally happened.
Gutted.

Bad luck Johnno.

LostDog
25-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Johnno whats happend to you 3 missed shots
whats happend to the magic

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Well I hope that game is a wake up call to the boys. If you don't man up, don't chase and make bad decisions with the ball you will lose. Oh and making sure you don't hit the post from 2M out helps too. I'm so p'd off I just punched the wall. This loss bring us back to the pack a bit now with a very tough match to follow.

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 08:26 PM
ARHAGGARAHGHARTAHGAHGAGHJA%TAGHH

(Just had my fit of rage.)

Johnno...

LostDog
25-05-2008, 08:29 PM
did anyone else have a feeling he was going to miss, he did it last week as well

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 08:32 PM
did anyone else have a feeling he was going to miss, he did it last week as well

Yeah I did because he hasn't looked anywhere near fit for about 4 weeks. I really wish they had of just bitten the bullet weeks ago and rested him. When you're injured it plays on your mind and effects other things ie goal kicking.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Probably worst game for the season for Lake and Wight.
Uncharacteristic mistakes from Johnno, and Crossy.
We'll see how much fight is in our team now, with a HUGE game against the Hawks next week.

Wight needs to go back to Willy he has a few things to work on before he can be considered for Senior selection again. I hope he doesn't read that other footy forum site....
I hope we're more considered here.
Yes he made some howlers, and he deserves to be criticised, but lets keep it in perspective, it wasn't his mistakes alone that cost us the game.

Scorlibo
25-05-2008, 08:36 PM
So ****ing gutted, angry.

Full Time: NMK 16.17.113 v WB 16.14.110

Positives: Akermanis, Cooney, Boyd.

Negatives: Couldn't hold on to a 24 point lead, Johnno kicked four behinds including the one after the siren:mad:, too many non-contributors, we've lost to North AGAIN, we are defeated.

LostDog
25-05-2008, 08:36 PM
bring back everitt

Scorlibo
25-05-2008, 08:39 PM
bring back everitt

O yea because bringing back the other unready defender, Williams, has done wonders.

DOG GOD
25-05-2008, 08:39 PM
bring back everitt

why? has he been best on ground for willy?

NOPE!!

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 08:42 PM
O yea because bringing back the other unready defender, Williams, has done wonders.

Ohh, erghh. I'd drop Williams over Wight. Know there'll be a lot of disagreement with that but he was shocking. Minson, dont even get me started.

Griff was really good in the first half though, and I didn't think Callan was bad?

LostDog
25-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Gia and Welsh need to be looked at as well

That loss will hurt Cooney in the brownlow had we won may of picked up a vote

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Couldn't believe it when Johnno grabbed it in those last few seconds! Then, remembered his other few shots on goal........ confidence goes down a fraction...... i've almost given up, but a little bit of hope left. Bring myself to look through my fingers aaaand MISSES. Well, I think i might have had a rage blackout, because i don't rememebr the last few minutes after the game ;) I'm just feeling a bit lost at the moment, haven't felt like this for a while now!

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Cameron Wight should attend Rohan Smiths little skills course he's got going, might learn a thing or two :S
The team in general was very dissapointing around the bounces and clearances, very dissapointing.

Rach
25-05-2008, 09:25 PM
That was quite disapointing. Probably because I expected a bit more then that.
I couldn't watch the last few minutes on the TV. Was covering my eyes. :(

GVGjr
25-05-2008, 09:47 PM
bring back everitt

You never know but if form counts for anything, he needs a couple of more weeks wioth Williamstown.

1eyedog
25-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Ohh, erghh. I'd drop Williams over Wight. Know there'll be a lot of disagreement with that but he was shocking. Minson, dont even get me started.

Griff was really good in the first half though, and I didn't think Callan was bad?

Just cannot keep his blooming feet!

hujsh
25-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I know he's new but surely Williams learnt to mark playing Rugby at least.

Should have kicked the goal when he hit the post from 2 metres out (JOHNNOOO)

Beginning to hate him slowly with some acts he has performed (hate may be too strong a word but I'm using it)

1eyedog
25-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Couldn't believe it when Johnno grabbed it in those last few seconds! Then, remembered his other few shots on goal........ confidence goes down a fraction...... i've almost given up, but a little bit of hope left. Bring myself to look through my fingers aaaand MISSES. Well, I think i might have had a rage blackout, because i don't rememebr the last few minutes after the game ;) I'm just feeling a bit lost at the moment, haven't felt like this for a while now!

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Cameron Wight should attend Rohan Smiths little skills course he's got going, might learn a thing or two :S
The team in general was very dissapointing around the bounces and clearances, very dissapointing.

:D His disposal is atrocious! I'm fed up with him but what are our options?

Dogs 24/7
25-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Gia and Welsh need to be looked at as well

That loss will hurt Cooney in the brownlow had we won may of picked up a vote

Welsh might be under a bit of pressure but Giansiracusa will be OK.
I can't be bothered thinking about the Brownlow after a loss like that because it just doesn't seem relevant.

ledge
25-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Try and be constructive here...
Williams not ready , too slow with everything at the moment. In hindsight Tiller maybe should still be playing, Wight i thought wasnt too bad but admit i do get him mixed up with Williams at times.
Aker was an absolute star today.
Johnno mmm im not angry about the last kick , that happens.
But his decision making in other plays was all wrong.
Aker was on his own 5 mtres out when johnno hit the post, lately Johnno has been falling to ground a lot and i think its time he moved up the ground. Welsh and him maybe swap.
Gia i thought was quiet.
We struggle with Nths game plan, but in saying that it was a 1 kick ball game, we have won our fair share this year.
Murph was good, Cooney too.
Next week very interesting now.

LostDoggy
25-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Welsh might be under a bit of pressure but Giansiracusa will be OK.

I really didn't notice Welsh being outstandingly bad? Was he really that bad?

What are peoples thoughts how Hudson played today?

1eyedog
25-05-2008, 11:26 PM

I thought he was very good early. I gave him a vote, Welsh wasn't bad imo, just didn't do enough

Go_Dogs
26-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Pretty disappointing to finally lose such a close one, but we've had our share of luck too in the close ones this year, and we can't keep winning forever.

Hopefully the group can quickly put the loss behind them and re-group for what is going to be a fantastic opportunity to show the footballing public we are serious about making a statement this year. The Hawks didn't look that fantastic against Melbourne, and if we play with the same intensity and pressure that has made us a good side so far this year, we should go pretty close to winning.

Did Lake look ok? Seems he took a pretty heavy hit towards the end of the game. Roughead has been in good form, we'll need Lake feeling good.

Sedat
26-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Pretty disappointing to finally lose such a close one, but we've had our share of luck too in the close ones this year, and we can't keep winning forever.
For me, the disappointment is tempered by the fact that we were in control of our destiny after the siren. The game was out of our opponents hands and we were not good enough to take the opportunity.

Topdog
26-05-2008, 10:02 AM
What was going on with Eagleton playing half back at times?
Wight had an absolute mare of a 3rd quarter and his last wasn't much better.
Lake got well beaten.
Our delivery into the F50 was pretty poor at times with far too much bombing it into no one.

Decision making was also down a lot yesterday.

Go_Dogs
26-05-2008, 10:28 AM
For me, the disappointment is tempered by the fact that we were in control of our destiny after the siren. The game was out of our opponents hands and we were not good enough to take the opportunity.

Neither was Bock in the Adelaide game, when once the siren went the game was completely out of our hands, and in those of the Crows.

The Underdog
26-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Our delivery into the F50 was pretty poor at times with far too much bombing it into no one.

Spot on. We looked tired in the 2nd half and I don't know if this was a factor.
Also a real lack of pressure in the midfield in the last quarter.

Ozza
26-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I can't understand the constant Gia bagging by dogs supporters. And definitely can't understand the view that he was 'quiet' yesterday.

He had it 22 times in 61% game time. That is anything but quiet and as usual his touches were crucial.
Only 2 clangers - yet 2 goal assists, and had Johnson have kicked the winner - he was the one who set it up.

Gia is one of the really underrated players at the Dogs, his poise under pressure and the quality of his touches goes unnoticed.

Ozza
26-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Welsh wasn't bad. he worked hard and presented well However, he did miss a very costly one after the half time siren which would have been a huge psychological win for us to go in 5 goals in front.

Hudson was outpointed by a far better opponent yesterday. McIntosh killed us and Hudson simply could not egt near him around the ground.

This may seem out of left field - but I felt - given Wight has a huge engine - he could have been used in the ruck around teh ground to go with McIntosh - particularly in the thrid quarter.

G-Mo77
26-05-2008, 01:17 PM

That was my thoughts on the whole game really. Sure we could have won and I would have been delighted had they did that, eventually a loss will come and had it happened yesterday. What matters now is how they bounce back and what better way to bounce back against an undeafeted side and in most minds a preimeirship favourite. If they don't come out firing in Round 10 then I'll start to ask some questions until then I'm not going to throw any of our players under a bus like a lot have done since last night.

We have lost 1 game, just 1. The team is traveling along very nicely.

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 04:17 PM
The team HAS been travelling well. One questions, then, whether there was the need to rush anyone back from injury the way we have with Farren and Tom. While understanding their long-term importance to the Dogs, I, for one, always thought that Hilly was showing a lot more than Farren ever did, even though he's played far fewer games. While his last few weeks were quieter than his blistering first three games, in our last two matches, Josh was instrumental in the last quarters, getting some crucial touches. The most important thing about Josh that has him far, far ahead of Farren at this point, is that he doesn't make stupid mistakes that lead to turnovers (apart from one ill-advised speccy attempt a few weeks back -- but even then, it was pure skill that led to that, not fumbling incompetence). His poise and one-grab ability under pressure is also far ahead of Farren, and he has already helped stemmed the flow of momentum a few times this year with a well-timed interception, or a well-laid (unnoticed) tackle. I was VERY disappointed when he was dropped, and even more so when I found out it was for a player that has flattered to deceive thus far, and performed accordingly yesterday. Hill should be ahead of Ray in the pecking order, no question.

You DON'T change a winning team. (The chemistry of a particular combination is more important than individual stats).

Get Hilly back in there.

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I can't understand the constant Gia bagging by dogs supporters. And definitely can't understand the view that he was 'quiet' yesterday.

He had it 22 times in 61% game time. That is anything but quiet and as usual his touches were crucial.
Only 2 clangers - yet 2 goal assists, and had Johnson have kicked the winner - he was the one who set it up.

Gia is one of the really underrated players at the Dogs, his poise under pressure and the quality of his touches goes unnoticed.

Agree 100%, I thought he was very good in the 1%ers last night...things he didn't necessarily get a stat for as well.

Brett
26-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Spot on. We looked tired in the 2nd half and I don't know if this was a factor.
Also a real lack of pressure in the midfield in the last quarter.

Maybe the travel to Perth & playing in the heat last week took a bit out of the players ?

bornadog
26-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Maybe the travel to Perth & playing in the heat last week took a bit out of the players ?

They really looked stuffed in that last quarter, it was our worst last quarter for the year and the total score was our lowest.

Sockeye Salmon
26-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Did anyone see the ring-a-rosy with Gilbee trying to tag Wells(?) and another guy trying to tag Gilbee? All three of them running round in circles in the North half forward line not even watching the play.

The Underdog
26-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Did anyone see the ring-a-rosy with Gilbee trying to tag Wells(?) and another guy trying to tag Gilbee? All three of them running round in circles in the North half forward line not even watching the play.

Pretty sure it was Ed Lower. He was hassling Gilbee all day, niggling and bumping.
It seemed like North were occasionally trying to start Wells on his own off half back at centre bounces running into the square.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Agree Ozza, he was very good yesterday in areas that he is oft unfairly criticised for. He put his body on the line a number of occasions, kept his feet in some hard hitting bumps, and kept his head in the last 20 seconds to pop the deft kick to Johnno.

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 07:27 PM
The team HAS been travelling well. One questions, then, whether there was the need to rush anyone back from injury the way we have with Farren and Tom. While understanding their long-term importance to the Dogs, I, for one, always thought that Hilly was showing a lot more than Farren ever did, even though he's played far fewer games. While his last few weeks were quieter than his blistering first three games, in our last two matches, Josh was instrumental in the last quarters, getting some crucial touches. The most important thing about Josh that has him far, far ahead of Farren at this point, is that he doesn't make stupid mistakes that lead to turnovers (apart from one ill-advised speccy attempt a few weeks back -- but even then, it was pure skill that led to that, not fumbling incompetence). His poise and one-grab ability under pressure is also far ahead of Farren, and he has already helped stemmed the flow of momentum a few times this year with a well-timed interception, or a well-laid (unnoticed) tackle. I was VERY disappointed when he was dropped, and even more so when I found out it was for a player that has flattered to deceive thus far, and performed accordingly yesterday. Hill should be ahead of Ray in the pecking order, no question.

You DON'T change a winning team. (The chemistry of a particular combination is more important than individual stats).

Get Hilly back in there.

Of course you change winning teams. You have to keep on improving. Eade didnt take Hill out the back and shoot him, he dropped the KID for a few games in the reserves. A good move considering Hills influence has been minimal since round 3. Its called 'blooding youngsters'.

dog town
26-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Little bit of hysteria around here after one loss.

We copped what we deserved for not putting them away and for just expecting it to happen. I dont think anyone who was at the game yesterday would have walked away thinking North were a better side but they were certainly more desperate on the day. Had we put as much into it as they did we would have won by 10 goals plus and thats the dissapointing part. It is not like it was a dead rubber. I hope the players are gutted by that loss.

They cleaned us up around the stoppages a bit. Was bound to happen eventually.

We made some poor handling errors and missed some chances to goal that we have been converting. The attention will focus on Johnson in the last quarter but realistically with a bit more poise we could have been 6 goals up at quarter time.

Johnson- I am not annoyed that he missed the shot at goal. It was one moment in a whole game. I am annoyed when he makes poor decisions which cost us goal scoring opportunities. Part of his genius is also his greatest weakness. He is not your standard footballer. He wont get front and square at a marking contest, square the ball up for another player, shepherd, run to create space or always do what is expected. He will however demand the ball all game, throw himself at every marking contest, run his arse off all game, play with all manner of injuries, do the impossible around goal and generally put the fear of god into his opponent because they just dont know what he will do next. He will always frustrate but he is an all time great of our club (my opinion) and I hope people dont forget that now that we are no longer relying on him to kick our entire score every week. Yep he missed a few goals and didn't handpass to Aker in the square. He also kicked a couple of brilliant solo goals, laid a fantastic tackle and busted his arse all game (with multiple injuries).

Wight- Made some horrendous errors but I honestly saw some positives in his game yesterday. Maybe he needs to go back to Willy for a bit but its not all doom and gloom for him. He did some nice things and some poor things. Looks good everytime he goes forward.

Welsh- I saw someone call for his head on the round 10 thread. He is doing more than his stats would indicate. The umpires brain explosion also cost him two shots at goal yesterday.

Guido- I also saw someone putting pressure on him. He was pretty god again yesterday. Having a top season. One loss and he is in trouble? Please have some perspective.

Eagleton- Brilliant job on Harvey. Cant blame him for the loss.

It was no single players fault. Almost every player could have done something better and thats why we lost. We didn't do the right thing everytime we were involved and until we do start doing that consistently we will not be contenders. That is why North won. They wore us down with consistensy. They just keep chipping away at you.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-05-2008, 08:27 PM
What was going on with Eagleton playing half back at times?

I must say that I question the coaching staff as it looked an advantage that the Roos would have liked. IMO they should have made a rotation and got eagle out of their.

Wight had an absolute mare of a 3rd quarter and his last wasn't much better.
Lake got well beaten.

Thought he was just off today, no doupt he will not be happy and hopefully he bounces back next week. Thought he and Williams looked poor when Lake was off the ground but mistakes is still bad football. Thought the whole backline struggled all day. One of those games!

Agree we missed some good hit up options. i would like to see Will on a lead a little more rather than a stay at home FF.

Yes I think it was just one of those games, but it really hurt us. Couldn't even say it was just the young guys either.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-05-2008, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=dog town;39823]Little bit of hysteria around here after one loss.

We made some poor handling errors and missed some chances to goal that we have been converting. The attention will focus on Johnson in the last quarter but realistically with a bit more poise we could have been 6 goals up at quarter time.

Johnson- I am not annoyed that he missed the shot at goal. It was one moment in a whole game. I am annoyed when he makes poor decisions which cost us goal scoring opportunities.

Agree and good to see some sense put back onto the tread.

Jonno has won us more games off his own boot than he ever will lose.

IMO the difference all day that cost us was McIntosh in the ruck. He was having an ordinary season but was the difference on the day by a long way.

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Of course you change winning teams. You have to keep on improving. Eade didnt take Hill out the back and shoot him, he dropped the KID for a few games in the reserves. A good move considering Hills influence has been minimal since round 3. Its called 'blooding youngsters'.

Of course, the cliche (don't change a winning team) is simplistic, but as you said, the point is that you have to keep on 'improving'. That's the key, isn't it.

Change for change's sake is pretty pointless. Even more pointless is changing a team to weaken it. And even MORE pointless is to change a team by bringing in underdone players that turn the ball over 9 times out of 10. And finally, I really don't see the point in changing a team by bringing in players who have had no pre-season, who can't run out the game, so much so that our second half is so much worse than our first half that we give up a four and a half goal lead and turn a game we should have won comfortably into our first loss of the season.

Not quite 'improvement', is it?

(ps. and can you please explain to me who the bloody hell we blooded yesterday? Ray? And since when is sending a kid back to the VFL 'blooding' him? Anyone who watched the bloody game yesterday would have noticed that North didn't actually play all that well. Did anyone notice that?)

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Johnson- I am not annoyed that he missed the shot at goal. It was one moment in a whole game. I am annoyed when he makes poor decisions which cost us goal scoring opportunities.

Agree and good to see some sense put back onto the tread.

Jonno has won us more games off his own boot than he ever will lose.

IMO the difference all day that cost us was McIntosh in the ruck. He was having an ordinary season but was the difference on the day by a long way.

Letting the team off too easily. Yes, it was a loss, but the great teams don't just take these things lying down.

All your excuses for the team are PRECISELY why we should be harder on them. More poise? More composure? That's what great teams are made of. Until we FIND that poise and composure 99% of the time we have no business thinking about a premiership.

"Should" have been 6 goals up? PRECISELY. Fact is, we weren't. The Dogs "should" have won a premiership in '97. 'Should's are the catch-cry of losers. In sport there is only yes or no. Black or white. 'Should' doesn't exist.

Scott Welsh has to go back and work through his goal-kicking process. That's what he's in the team for, and the fact that he missed the kick after the siren in the first half is not good enough.

---

ps. Worse than the fact that we lost, which is acceptable if all the boxes are ticked and processes are followed through, is the fact that we lost to a team playing quite ordinary football. North missed many, many gettable shots on goal. If they had kicked straight the game would have been over by three-quarter time and we would be sitting here lamenting a forty point loss, not a missed shot by Johnno after the siren. Don't let the score fool you. The team has a LOT of work to do.

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I mean, seriously, am I the only one who thinks that we turn the ball over far too much to be a serious contender? We rely on many, many moments of brilliance, but honestly, have any of you ever sat comfortably even when we are leading in matches?

The word I am looking for is 'clinical'. I can't wait until we finally mature into a team that wins 'clinically' and just gets on with the season. Until then, don't expect supporters to go soft on the team. If they can't handle a bit of criticism from their own die-hards, they'll be massacred out on the park.

Raw Toast
26-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Good to see your passion Lantern, but while it was an incredibly frustrating game but posters like DT are not making excuses - they're having a careful look at what we did poorly and what we did well.

We've had a pretty decent season so far and with a few minor adjustments we would've put North away and had the game in our keeping by half time. That we failed to do this is distressing but not a cause for panic or wholesale change.

We're not consistently playing like a contender, but we're closer than we've been for some time. Our list still has some clear strengths and weaknesses, but we've made a pretty big step from last year in terms of things like winning the contested ball and being able to get goals from long kicks into our forward line as well as spotting up leading targets.

I think we got a bit ahead of ourselves and our performance wasn't acceptable, but we don't need to hang anyone, just work to correct the mistakes and get more consistent with our intensity.

FWIW I also thought Hill was better in the last few weeks than most gave him credit for, but think the same of Welsh as well.

LostDoggy
26-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Of course, the cliche (don't change a winning team) is simplistic, but as you said, the point is that you have to keep on 'improving'. That's the key, isn't it.

Change for change's sake is pretty pointless. Even more pointless is changing a team to weaken it. And even MORE pointless is to change a team by bringing in underdone players that turn the ball over 9 times out of 10. And finally, I really don't see the point in changing a team by bringing in players who have had no pre-season, who can't run out the game, so much so that our second half is so much worse than our first half that we give up a four and a half goal lead and turn a game we should have won comfortably into our first loss of the season.

Not quite 'improvement', is it?

(ps. and can you please explain to me who the bloody hell we blooded yesterday? Ray? And since when is sending a kid back to the VFL 'blooding' him? Anyone who watched the bloody game yesterday would have noticed that North didn't actually play all that well. Did anyone notice that?)

"A good idea, is a good idea forever" -David Brent

We blooded Josh Hill for 8 wks. That was my point, he ran out of form, give him a rest then bring him back later in the year. Its called blooding youngsters. Farren Ray played 4 reserves games. Williams was rushed back, granted.

We ran out of legs yesterday because of the Perth trip, but the main reason we lost is becasue we had won 8 games, players didnt keep the foot on the gas.

Sockeye Salmon
26-05-2008, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=Bumper Bulldogs;39838]

Letting the team off too easily. Yes, it was a loss, but the great teams don't just take these things lying down.

All your excuses for the team are PRECISELY why we should be harder on them. More poise? More composure? That's what great teams are made of. Until we FIND that poise and composure 99% of the time we have no business thinking about a premiership.

"Should" have been 6 goals up? PRECISELY. Fact is, we weren't. The Dogs "should" have won a premiership in '97. 'Should's are the catch-cry of losers. In sport there is only yes or no. Black or white. 'Should' doesn't exist.

Scott Welsh has to go back and work through his goal-kicking process. That's what he's in the team for, and the fact that he missed the kick after the siren in the first half is not good enough.

---

ps. Worse than the fact that we lost, which is acceptable if all the boxes are ticked and processes are followed through, is the fact that we lost to a team playing quite ordinary football. North missed many, many gettable shots on goal. If they had kicked straight the game would have been over by three-quarter time and we would be sitting here lamenting a forty point loss, not a missed shot by Johnno after the siren. Don't let the score fool you. The team has a LOT of work to do.

You forgot to use the term 'accepting mediocrity', other than that, nice cliche-riddled rant.

bornadog
26-05-2008, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=Bumper Bulldogs;39838]

Don't let the score fool you. The team has a LOT of work to do.

Five goals after half time was not good.

bornadog
26-05-2008, 11:36 PM

Some stats for you:

Doggies
Contested posessions plus 6
Uncontessed minus 5
Clearances minus 3
Hitouts minus 1
Tackles plus 6
First Posessions plus 2
Total disposals plus 9
Contested marks plus 4
Overall, pretty even around the ground.

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 10:17 AM
I can't understand the constant Gia bagging by dogs supporters.

Look I will admit that I am not a fan of Gia not because of his football ability but due to the fact I went to school with him back in the day. Now I go by the opinion that if I can't post constructively then I don't post at all which allot of people may want to take heade of but not so much in this forum WOOF is by far a much more dignified environment to voice your opinion and a more constructive comments in regards to the team and club.

The only time I would snipe him is between family and friends who know the reasons behind my comments.

Deep breath now. Gia had a good game far from brilliant but far from poor. His disciplined kick to Johnno instead of blasting away at goal shows that he is a team player and is following the "TEAM" mentality rather than the individual. (I can't believe I paid him a compliment)

I think we had our chances but just didn't take them unlike prior weeks. We are all doctors when it comes to hindsight. Sure what if Johnno hand balled to Aka and a goal was scored, this is a comment really irritates me because then you can say well WHAT IF North got a clearance from the centre and kicked a goal within 30 seconds (and vice versa) its exactly that a WHAT IF you just don't know.

The stats all game indicated that it was a close contest and the scoreboard reflected that. It was bound to happen, the loss, its a part of footy and losing is not the end of the world it hurts yes but without the disappointment of losing it makes you appreciate the jubilation of victory all that more.

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 10:19 AM
[/B]

"A good idea, is a good idea forever" -David Brent

We blooded Josh Hill for 8 wks. That was my point, he ran out of form, give him a rest then bring him back later in the year. Its called blooding youngsters. Farren Ray played 4 reserves games. Williams was rushed back, granted.

We ran out of legs yesterday because of the Perth trip, but the main reason we lost is becasue we had won 8 games, players didnt keep the foot on the gas.

I just realised yesterday that I did not pay enough respect to your well made points, jerry. I've really enjoyed reading your posts lately -- very well considered and incisive, and credit where credit is due.

Everything you said above is sensible and balanced, and I agree with the 8 games hypothesis.. hopefully this loss is the kick in the teeth that the team need to really hone that hard, hungry edge.

I was just gutted when Farren on two occassions coming out of defence kicked it straight to a loose North player, who duly went forward and set up a goal. In a game that was lost by less than a kick, mistakes like that just kill you. I want as much as the next bloke for him to succeed, but Josh has shown more in his short career than Farren has, and also far less of a propensity to make mistakes, which is our major archilles heel at the moment. If we cut down on turnovers and stop trying to throw games away, we would be very, very hard to beat. (I would be interested to find out our turnover count this year. It would be close to the top 5 of the league I would think).

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 10:22 AM
The stats all game indicated that it was a close contest and the scoreboard reflected that. It was bound to happen, the loss, its a part of footy and losing is not the end of the world it hurts yes but without the disappointment of losing it makes you appreciate the jubilation of victory all that more.

I think we've all had a gutful of the disappointment of losing, and don't think we need much more to appreciate victory. This is the Bulldogs forum, remember? To hell with losing.

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Lantern;39842]

You forgot to use the term 'accepting mediocrity', other than that, nice cliche-riddled rant.

Haha thanks SS. I do my best.

www.clichesite.com