PDA

View Full Version : Slap: Peter Street

bulldogtragic
27-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Has played very, very this year at Willi. I imagine he would have been told to play his heart out and put pressure on the other guys to get the gameday spots.

He has done everything asked of him and more, people are more than happy to pot him, but i wanted to take the opportunity to give him a slap for doing everything he can and i hope he gets an opportunity to take this rich vein of form to the dogs outfit.

Well done Peter Street.

Cyberdoggie
27-05-2008, 12:41 PM
something tells me that your a peter street fan.
maybe it's just your avatar but i'm picking up a vibe here.

True he's doing well for willi, but he's only doing as well as he can.
He's a good backup ruck but he's just not accountable and offers no hardness at afl level.

There's other flaws as well but those 2 in particular are what is his downfall.

Sockeye Salmon
27-05-2008, 02:00 PM
I'd be looking towards the Gold Coast if I was him.

1eyedog
27-05-2008, 02:18 PM
He'll move himself along at the end of the year, he's been doing well at Willi but it's a bit of a step up for him and he's had a good run. He's not gonna get any better, he wears a good number though and if I squint into your avatar it almost looks like the great man.

bornadog
27-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I'd be looking towards the Gold Coast if I was him.

Bit unfair SS.

He did very well in 2006 and was one of the reasons we dominanted out of the centre when he averaged over 20 hitouts per game and ranked 6th in the AFL. Last year he was injured and never hit top form.

We all know he needs to do alot more around the ground, but I believe he is doing that now, all be it at VFL level and as 42-C-3 says, he is doing everything asked of him.

PS: Ernie Sigley, please don't give your usual comment that his hitouts don't hit targets, as that is just an opinion and not backed by facts.

The Coon Dog
27-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Let's be honest, if Streeta is off contract at the end of this season, it's highly unlikely that a) we'd offer him an extension given that we'll be drafting a ruckman or b) he'd remain if he was just depth player.

He's got to want to be playing seniors every week & I'm not convinced we can guarantee him that.

I agree with Ernie tho, his hit outs don't usually find targets. That's no criticism of Street, it would be hard to direct your tap when the ball could bounce anywhichway & some other giant is charging at you.

It's what he's able to contribute in 2nd & 3rd efforts & around the ground. Streeta has being doing a great job of that at VFL level, unfortunately I think that's where's best suited.

Sockeye Salmon
27-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Bit unfair SS.

He did very well in 2006 and was one of the reasons we dominanted out of the centre when he averaged over 20 hitouts per game and ranked 6th in the AFL. Last year he was injured and never hit top form.

We all know he needs to do alot more around the ground, but I believe he is doing that now, all be it at VFL level and as 42-C-3 says, he is doing everything asked of him.

PS: Ernie Sigley, please don't give your usual comment that his hitouts don't hit targets, as that is just an opinion and not backed by facts.

I didn't mean it to be read like that.

Someone dominating in the VFL who cant get a go because of the players in their position are better off for their career moving on. Birss and Callan are two examples.

If Street can stay on our list next year as a backup GC might be looking to pick up a few big bodies the year after.

1eyedog
27-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Bit unfair SS.

So what are you saying bornadog, that he should be picked? You seem to stand up for him but you must concede that there is no place for him in the current line up.

LostDoggy
27-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Your opinion.
Ok We'll just ignore the facts then. :rolleyes:
If they stats are facts they you only have to look at Williamstown game on saturday. Fair to say Street dominated the hit outs yet I believe to 3 quarter time Box Hill led the clearances.

Even at the Bulldogs this season we seem to be winning more clearances, ok some of it is because Hudson is there but some it is also because Street isn't.

bornadog
27-05-2008, 11:54 PM
So what are you saying bornadog, that he should be picked? You seem to stand up for him but you must concede that there is no place for him in the current line up.

I am just saying he is playing well at VFL level and doing everything that is asked of him.

bornadog
27-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Your opinion.
Ok We'll just ignore the facts then. :rolleyes:
If they stats are facts they you only have to look at Williamstown game on saturday. Fair to say Street dominated the hit outs yet I believe to 3 quarter time Box Hill led the clearances.

Even at the Bulldogs this season we seem to be winning more clearances, ok some of it is because Hudson is there but some it is also because Street isn't.

ES, we do know you don't rate him. All I am saying is to support your arguement with facts not perception.

For example, I thought on Sunday we were smashed in the ruck and clearances, yet the stats show hitouts and clearances were about even.

The Doctor
28-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I expect Street will survive at the end of the year.

He has done all he can do at VFL level but no opportunity has come up in the AFL team. You can't ask him to do much more.

When the Dogs recruited Mulligan and Shaw as rookie ruckmen I was all but certain this would be his last year. With the likely addition this year of Ayce Cordy that would seem more the case. However, none of these guys would really be expected to play a senior role with any competency in the next year or two in the case of an injury or poor form to either Hudson or Minson.

I think poor old Skipper is the one in trouble now with this latest injury blow.

LostDoggy
28-05-2008, 02:11 PM
ES, we do know you don't rate him. All I am saying is to support your arguement with facts not perception.

I gave you some stats already.

hujsh
28-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I think last year Street had the highest percentage of his hitouts go to advantage in the league.

LostDoggy
28-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I think last year Street had the highest percentage of his hitouts go to advantage in the league.

What does to advantage mean? Forward of the play or directly to one of ours?

bornadog
28-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I gave you some stats already.

Please direct me to the official stats link, thank you.

KEN
28-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Western Bulldogs ruckman Peter Street is a good chance to play his first AFL match for the year against Hawthorn on Saturday at Aurora Stadium in Launceston.

Street, 28, managed just 12 matches last season and succumbed to a knee injury late in the year.

While he has recovered from the injury, he had been stuck playing for the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown because of the success of twin towers Will Minson and Ben Hudson, who was one of the club's high profile recruits this year.

But with the Hawks considered strong at the stoppages, Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said Street would be looked at for selection later this week.

"Pete's probably in career-best form consistency wise. He's been playing very well for Williamstown and he'll come into strong consideration this week because of the rucks and stoppage work of Hawthorn so he's right in the mix."

"And I think he's enjoying his footy at the moment which is great.

"So he hasn't been forgotten about, he's still in our plans."

Eade said Steven Tiller, Jarrad Harbrow, Josh Hill and Callan Ward will all also push for selection.

LostDoggy
28-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Please direct me to the official stats link, thank you.

They were as official as your stats.

"Fair to say Street dominated the hit outs yet I believe to 3 quarter time Box Hill led the clearances.

Even at the Bulldogs this season we seem to be winning more clearances, ok some of it is because Hudson is there but some it is also because Street isn't."

bornadog
28-05-2008, 02:58 PM
They were as official as your stats.

"Fair to say Street dominated the hit outs yet I believe to 3 quarter time Box Hill led the clearances.

Even at the Bulldogs this season we seem to be winning more clearances, ok some of it is because Hudson is there but some it is also because Street isn't."

Sorry Ern to be very persistent here, I got my stats from:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--peter-street

Can you please direct me to the link where you got the stats from:)

GetDimmaBack
28-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I expect Street will survive at the end of the year.

He has done all he can do at VFL level but no opportunity has come up in the AFL team. You can't ask him to do much more.

When the Dogs recruited Mulligan and Shaw as rookie ruckmen I was all but certain this would be his last year. With the likely addition this year of Ayce Cordy that would seem more the case. However, none of these guys would really be expected to play a senior role with any competency in the next year or two in the case of an injury or poor form to either Hudson or Minson.

I think poor old Skipper is the one in trouble now with this latest injury blow.

Yes - this could be the last straw for him, I reckon.
Streeter would probably be kept on the list before Skipper now.
Shame really. I thought Skip was about to come of age. He was terrific in the draw against the Saints last year, and I thought our patience was about to be rewarded.
Ah, the curse of the wounded knee.

Don't think Street has any injuries to speak of. He is probably safe, although you never know just what could happen in trade week (?).

LostDoggy
28-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry Ern to be very persistent here, I got my stats from:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--peter-street

Can you please direct me to the link where you got the stats from:)

Are there any Williamstown Stats there?
I saw mine on the TV.

No need to look at stats to see we are better at the clearances this season.

Where are your stats to prove me wrong?

bornadog
28-05-2008, 06:49 PM
?

This will make you happy:D

Dogs look to go tall
Herald Sun May 28, 2008 12:00am

BULLDOGS ruckman Peter Street is a good chance to play his first match for the year against Hawthorn on Saturday in Launceston. Street, 28, managed just 12 matches last season and succumbed to a knee injury late in the year.

While he has recovered from the injury, he had been stuck playing for the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown because of the success of twin towers Will Minson and Ben Hudson, who was one of the club's high profile recruits this year.

But with the Hawks considered strong at the stoppages, Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said Street would be looked at for selection later this week.

"Pete's probably in career-best form consistency wise. He's been playing very well for Williamstown and he'll come into strong consideration this week because of the rucks and stoppage work of Hawthorn so he's right in the mix."

Eade said Steven Tiller, Jarrad Harbrow, Josh Hill and Callan Ward will all also push for selection.

LostDoggy
28-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Whats the difference for me? I just want to win. If Eade picks him then I trust him. I'm not the coach.
You think I have in for him more than others?

GVGjr
28-05-2008, 06:53 PM
This will make you happy:D

Dogs look to go tall
Herald Sun May 28, 2008 12:00am

BULLDOGS ruckman Peter Street is a good chance to play his first match for the year against Hawthorn on Saturday in Launceston. Street, 28, managed just 12 matches last season and succumbed to a knee injury late in the year.

When I heard the grab with Eade on SEN I thought of this thread. Would this mean Minson as a 4 quarter forward and Street supporting Hudson?

bornadog
28-05-2008, 06:55 PM
When I heard the grab with Eade on SEN I thought of this thread. Would this mean Minson as a 4 quarter forward and Street supporting Hudson?

Thats what I have thought all along. This may mean Wight is dropped.

bornadog
28-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Whats the difference for me? I just want to win. If Eade picks him then I trust him. I'm not the coach.
You think I have in for him more than others?

Sorry ES, I didn't mean to pick on you:D

If he gets a chance its all up to him.

BulldogBelle
28-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I hope Street gets his chance to come into the side, if he is playing well then why not? Guess we will see tomorrow when the team is announced. It will be good to see him back in the side.

Mantis
28-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I can't see how we can play Hudson, Street and Minson in the same team. It will mean that one of these will be on the bench at all times.

SS has alluded to the fact that this robs us of flexibility and I agree.

For me Street only plays if 1 of Hudson and Minson don't.

hujsh
28-05-2008, 08:57 PM
What does to advantage mean? Forward of the play or directly to one of ours?

To our players advantage i believe, but I'm not 100%, it's just a stat I've remembered.

bornadog
28-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't see how we can play Hudson, Street and Minson in the same team. It will mean that one of these will be on the bench at all times.

SS has alluded to the fact that this robs us of flexibility and I agree.

For me Street only plays if 1 of Hudson and Minson don't.

So you believe we don't need a tall in the forward line?

I thought every one has been calling for us to have a tall player up forward, yet this year we have one for only half the game as Minson is called for ruck duty to give Hudson a rest.

Mantis
28-05-2008, 09:38 PM
So you believe we don't need a tall in the forward line?

I thought every one has been calling for us to have a tall player up forward, yet this year we have one for only half the game as Minson is called for ruck duty to give Hudson a rest.

What's the use of having a tall in the forwardline if no-one kicks it to him??

Mofra
28-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Street has been playing well from the games I've seen, although I've also been impressed with the desperately unlucky Skipper, who must be cursing the injury gods after an interrupted pre-season as well.

In terms of his playing future, there is little doubt he would get more gametime at another club, although pouring over the lists there seems to be little place for him to go despite his good form:

Adelaide: Griffen & Maric would be higher priorities, Tippet can ruck if needed.
Brisbane: Charman & the Burger already forced Wood's hand
The Cheating Scum: Ackland might be on his last legs, Cloke isn't doing too badly, but two potential guns in the Kreuzer & Hampson are their future.
The Filth: Fraser & Wood will be 1 & 2 next year
Essendon: Doubt they'd take an older ruckman, just signed their obvious no 1 Hille & Laycock is getting better
Freo: The Giant is a clear no 1, they'll be hoping to hold onto Warnock
Geelong: Blake, Ottens, Wood, rucks aplenty
Hawks: Perhaps the best 1 & 2 combo in the comp
Melbourne: White is getting older, Jamar & Johnson offer no 2 options. In a rebuilding phase so Bailey would be lynched if he drafted older types
North: McIntosh & Hale would be close to the Hawks standard
Port: Brogan & Lade, nothing ore to be said
Richmond: Only real option perhaps, Simmonds is fragile, Graham seems to be as well, Putt will take time, and Wallet loves recycled Bulldogs
Saints: Already have 147 recycled rucks on their list
Sydney: Spider would be in his last year, Jolley will be no 1, already have been
WCE: Cox, Seaby, and will probably find another WA rookie gem

As much as I like Streeter, he might be better served staying at the Bulldogs if we decide he is still required - although even if we lose Street & Skipper & gamble on Husdon & Minson staying fit, Wight could provide some alternative as a back-up at least.

The Coon Dog
28-05-2008, 11:49 PM
^^^^^^

Great post Mofra, really well thought out!

The jungle drums re: Warnock leaving Perth continue to beat soundly.

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2008, 12:33 AM
No coach in trouble would hitch their wagon to Street. If we draft Ayce then we have a developing ruckman on board, but he wont be ready to play for a few years presumably.

If Street plays then Wight has to be dropped. Interesting we are considering trying to exploit their backline. They are a bit light on for key defenders.

craigsahibee
29-05-2008, 12:53 PM
It's going to be "horses for courses" with Streeta. It's up to him to make it difficult for the match committee to drop him if and when he gets a chance. having said that, it may be difficult if he only gets limited time on the paddock. He is the sort of guy that needs to start the game on the ground as the Number 1 ruckmen. It's a confidence thing for Peter.

bornadog
29-05-2008, 01:18 PM
What's the use of having a tall in the forwardline if no-one kicks it to him??

I am confused here Mantis. When Minson has been up forward, the ball is kicked in long and Minson either marks it (rare I know), or the ball falls to the ground and Aker, Gia, Murphy, Johnno etc get a chance to crumb it. Minson gives us some presence in the forward line. Are you saying its not working with Minson, or we don't need a tall.

What I am saying, is with Street in (or in future whatever ruckman), they backup Hudson, and therefore Minson doesn't need to ruck or be moved away from the forward line.

soupman
29-05-2008, 02:56 PM
From memory I read somewhere that Hawthorn rotates its rucks solely through the bench, meaning one of Campbell and Taylor is always off. I think what we'll do should Street play is thus rotate Hudson and Street off the bench in the same manner as Hawthorn, allowing Minson to spend a full game up forward. This means we have the same balance of big men as Hawthorn on the field most of the time.

soupman
29-05-2008, 03:08 PM
No, Campbell quite often finds himself in defence when Taylor is rucking.

Whoops...my bad.

Sockeye Salmon
29-05-2008, 04:42 PM
We are all assuming that it's bad that we don't have a big bloke up forward while Minson is rucking, I like the idea of mixing things up. If there is no matchup for Gilham they might have to take him off and their midfielders will get less rest.

Mantis
29-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I am confused here Mantis. When Minson has been up forward, the ball is kicked in long and Minson either marks it (rare I know), or the ball falls to the ground and Aker, Gia, Murphy, Johnno etc get a chance to crumb it. Minson gives us some presence in the forward line. Are you saying its not working with Minson, or we don't need a tall.

I'm saying that we don't look for Minson enough.

On Sunday in the 3rd qtr we had an obvious mis-match with Firrito on Will. Firrito gave away a silly free kick which resulted in a goal. On the next couple of forward entries we had both Johnson and Welsh coming back into Will's space. On occassion's this work's, but Will one out was either going to take the mark or draw a free kick so why didn't our other forwards clear some space.

This tactic may have only worked for a couple of forward entries, but we might have been able to steal a couple of goals which could have been handy in the long run.

What I am saying, is with Street in (or in future whatever ruckman), they backup Hudson, and therefore Minson doesn't need to ruck or be moved away from the forward line.

I still like to see Will in the ruck, I think he is a very capable ruckman especially in a back-up role. I think it's good that we change up our structure in the forwardline. If we had Will down there on a full time basis we may get stuck playing a long kicking game whereas at present we are able to hurt the opposition playing different styles and with different types of players.

LostDoggy
29-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I still like to see Will in the ruck, I think he is a very capable ruckman especially in a back-up role. I think it's good that we change up our structure in the forwardline. If we had Will down there on a full time basis we may get stuck playing a long kicking game whereas at present we are able to hurt the opposition playing different styles and with different types of players.

Totally agree, Will is important to our structure, I also feel he is not being utilised near enough. I don't think the players trust in Will's ability to be a focal point and more often than not will avoid kicking it to him.

The only way Will can prove his worth is if he gets enough supply and the other forwards get out of his way when he is one out. In a one on one grapple he does very well and it doesn't happen enough. Will is a confidence player and unfortunately that is mirrored through the players with the ball, if Will isn't confident they are less likely to look for him and if he doesn't get the ball he loses confidence, so it's a vicious cirle for him

At least he competes when the ball is anywhere near him!!

He makes us a longer kicking side and is improving all the time in the ruck, whereas a few years ago he was useless in the ruck.

Twodogs
02-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry ES, I didn't mean to pick on you:D

If he gets a chance its all up to him.

Feel free. Sometimes he needs someone other than me telling him.

I saw Street dominate for Willy against Box Hill. Did all the stuff he should have been doing a couple of years ago and didnt just contest the hitout and stand there like he used too. He'd have to come in to replace Hudson, I couldnt see him giving us the same flexibillity that Minson gives us as a forward target and pinball in the forward line.

LostDoggy
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I've missed you Twodogs, like you missed your sunnies, mobile, etc.

Sockeye Salmon
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM

Glasses x 2

Twodogs
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Glasses x 2

I always knew you two had more to with that than you were letting on...

After all it couldnt have just me being stoopid, because I'm not stoopid.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Emergency every week. In the bests for Willi yet again.

Deserves serious attention.

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 09:12 PM

I'm a big Street fan(excuse the pun). But even I can't find a spot for him to play a game while Minson and Hudson are 100% fit. Playing all 3 isn't a possibility either. Maybe if we find ourselves in a situation where we can only finish 3rd or 2nd on the ladder can I see that experiment going ahead.

I feel for the tall bugger.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 02:58 PM
He mentioned it himself in the interview in the social club -- unless injury or form comes into it, he's going to find it nigh impossible to break into the side.

Some Cats fans were calling into SEN yesterday asking which Dogs players would get a run in Geelong's team, which was just a totally stupid question.

Apart from Cooney (better than all their midfielders bar Ablett), Cross (wins more ball than any of their in and under players bar Ablett), Murph (better than any of their half-forwards bar maybe Johnson who is inconsistent), Gilbee (better than any, any, any of their half-back line.. only Enright comes close), Tom Williams (again, better than any of their half-backs), Griff (better than their entire midfield bar Ablett and Bartel), Aker (better than Chapman etc.), and Morris (better shut down player in the backline than any Cat), with Lake complementing Scarlett;

Huddo, Will or Street would WALK into the side over Blake ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Watch us smash them in the ruck come Saturday.

1eyedog
15-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Will not be selected unless Minson or Hudson are out full stop. He could part the Red Sea At Willi but we cannot play three ruckmen even with Minson forward.