PDA

View Full Version : Round 11, 2008 Opposition Player Focus: Nick Riewoldt

LostDoggy
03-06-2008, 02:24 PM
First of all, thanks to thank DryRot for extending this invitation to me.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/14/wbSAINTSriewoldt_narrowweb__300x336,0.jpg

Number: 12
Height: 193
Weight: 92
DOB: 17-10-1982
Debut: 2001
Games: 143
Goals: 273

Bio from www.saints.com.au
Riewoldt reaffirmed his status as one of the game’s true superstars. The forward with a midfielder’s motor took the most marks in the AFL in the home and away season, as well as the most contested marks, including a game-saving grab against Sydney in round 11. He also returned to form in front of goal, kicking 60 for the year, including nine against Carlton in round eight. All-Australian honours and a third best and fairest were inevitable.

Career Highlights:
- 1999 U/18 All-Australian Team
- AFL Rising Star 2002
- St Kilda Football Club Best and Fairest - Trevor Barker Award 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007
- Leigh Matthews Trophy AFLPA MVP 2004
- All-Australian Team 2004, 2006
- International Rules Series 2004
- Pre-season Cup Winning sides 2004, 2008
- St Kilda Football Club Captain 2005
- St Kilda Football Club Co-Captain 2007
- St Kilda Football Club Captain 2008

This week’s opposition player focus is the captain of the Saint Kilda football club, Mr Elastoplast, Nick Riewoldt. After establishing himself as a superstar of the next decade, winning the 2002 Rising Star award, Riewoldt has only improved, confirming his status as a superstar of this game. The 4 time All-Australian has caused the Bulldogs coaching staff and defence headaches in recent encounters. IIRC, in either 2006 or 2007, Riewoldt amassed something ridiculous like 18 marks against us. I would think that Ross Lyon would be eager for Riewoldt to have another big game against us, so he can exploit our young defence with their lack of experience.

Our most suitable player to tackle Riewoldt would be Tom Williams who although conceded 5 goals to Franklin a week prior, had the better of him. Which is a tremendous feat considering Williams has only played a handful of games. Williams has the pace and athletic ability to go with Riewoldt, although he may struggle to keep up when Riewoldt goes on those long searching leads up the wing. This matchup goes along way in determining the outcome of this match. If Williams can hold Riewoldt, the Bulldogs should to too strong for the underperforming Saints.

Riewoldt 2008 form has been very patchy at best, and a far cry from his 2007 form which many consider to be his best. His best goal haul this year was 3 against Port Adelaide in round 6 which is indicative to his form this season. It’s a worrying sign for the Bulldogs however, in which Riewoldt could have a breakout game and carve us up like he has done previously. Riewoldt looked in good form last week against a hapless Melbourne defence where he racked up 22 disposals and 13 marks, which is a very good effort considering it’s his second match back after his minor knee injury he sustained against Richmond back in round 7.

If we can block Riewoldt space around the 50 meter arch by dropping back a player or two that will then force him to go on those long searching leads up the field, in which case his stats would become less-effective and wouldn’t become so costly. Callan would be the perfect man to perform this role but unfortunately he looks to be out for a short while.

** Was hoping to find some stats on Riewoldt VS the Dogs on the prostates website but found out you have to become a member. If anyone could get them it would be much appreciated.

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2008, 02:52 PM
6 kicks, 4, hb, 6 marks, 2 goals

14 kicks, 6 hb, 13 marks, 3 goals
9 kicks, 1 hb, 7 marks, 4 goals

7 kicks, 3 hb, 6 marks, 5 goals
17 kicks, 4 hb, 11 marks, 1 goal

3 kicks, 1 hb, 2 marks, 1 goal

9 kicks, 7 hb, 7 marks, 0 goals

13 kicks, 11 hb, 6marks, 0 goals
6 kicks, 4 hb, 5 marks, 1 goal

8 kicks, 1 hb, 8 marks, 1 goal

Totals
101 kicks (ave 9.2)
46 hb (ave 4.2)
79 marks (ave 7.2)
18 goals (ave 1.6)

Topdog
03-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Morris will kill him again...I hope.

They made a big deal about him playing without shoulder padding on last week. Nevermind that he played against Melbourne.

1eyedog
03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Over-rated, all he does is run around all night taking marks:D

LostDoggy
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
He had no impact on the game earlier this year..

Lets hope Morris makes that happen again

BulldogBelle
03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Over-rated, all he does is run around all night taking marks:D

Yes, like that one he took last year when we played them and then proceeded to kick a point from such a big distance away and draw the game. ;)

Bulldog Revolution
04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
He certainly is the Elastoplast man at the moment. This will be his third week back from his knee injury and he'll probably be closer to his peak physically.

The criticism has always been that he takes marks up the ground. He is an incredible athlete and hard for anyone to stay with.

Morris did the job on him earlier in the year, but it certainly helps when your midfield is on top. If he is getting loads of supply he is a hard guy to stop.

Dry Rot
04-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Good review Borgy. Well done.

He had no impact on the game earlier this year..

That's not quite my recollection - IIRC he did well in the first quarter.

Topdog
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Everyone did well in the first qtr DR. Even Kosie.

Dogs 24/7
04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Nice write up Borgy. Riewoldt is a very dangerous player and with word that he is not completely fit he will still be critical to the Saints.
He is certainly one player that I would love to have at the Kennel.

LostDoggy
04-06-2008, 10:21 PM
In all honesty I reckon Riewoldt is a gun. Many say he's over-rated which leads me to believe that he is now under-rated. Hopefully for our sake he's still a little under done thanks to the recent knee injury. In saying that Morris is the man for him if he's playing his customary role up the field. If he's playing deeper he'll get double teamed when the ball is flying in.

Stevo
04-06-2008, 10:25 PM
In all honesty I reckon Riewoldt is a gun. Many say he's over-rated which leads me to believe that he is now under-rated. Hopefully for our sake he's still a little under done thanks to the recent knee injury. In saying that Morris is the man for him if he's playing his customary role up the field. If he's playing deeper he'll get double teamed when the ball is flying in.

He is right up there with the best of them and while I might get howled down I'd even have him ahead of Pavlich.
If Riewoldt kicks goals early on in the game he can be unstoppable. Deny him any first quarter goals and the game will be ours.

LostDoggy
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Big call to say Tom Williams had the better of Franklin. He kicked 5 goals! Sure a couple were gifts, but its a bit rich saying he beat him.

The Underdog
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Big call to say Tom Williams had the better of Franklin. He kicked 5 goals! Sure a couple were gifts, but its a bit rich saying he beat him.

Fair call, tough to say you beat your opponent when he's kicked 5, but he held his own quite well in a number of one on one contests and showed a lot more than he had in the previous 2 weeks. He was also more creative running off him than we could have expected after the Freo and North games and as you rightly pointed out, 2 of Franklin's goals were gifts from turnovers because he hadn't chased. Considering his lack of pre-season, Tom at least gave us a glimpse of what he could become.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Tommy will get the job on Riewoldt and he will be full of beans after the display last week. This will then allow Morris to sit on Milne and that will be the Goal kicking power of the saint gone.

personally I don't rate Riewoldt as he just doesn't lift or seem to inspire the side. he has all the ability but I don't fear him like the Fev, Buddy, brown, Richo ect.

Topdog
07-06-2008, 01:34 PM

And only 1 of those goals was from a marking contest against Williams. 2 were from awful Dogs mistakes and 2 marks against Morris.

wb_age
08-06-2008, 03:56 AM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5973109,00.jpg

Go Dale!