PDA

View Full Version : Midfield - How many of our players can play in that position?

BulldogBelle
12-02-2007, 10:17 PM
I was having a think about our midfield and was amazed at how many of our players can play in that position. Here's a few of them listed.

Scott West
Daniel Cross
Ryan Griffen
Jason Akermanis
Dale Morris ?
Gia
Shaun Higgins ?
Jason Akermanis
Brad Johnson

Who else have I forgotten?

bornadog
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I was having a think about our midfield and was amazed at how many of our players can play in that position. Here's a few of them listed.

Scott West
Daniel Cross
Ryan Griffen
Jason Akermanis
Dale Morris ?
Gia
Shaun Higgins ?
Jason Akermanis
Brad Johnson

Who else have I forgotten?

Well you didn't forget Aka he is in there twice:)

How about:

Matt Boyd
Cooney
Eagles
Farren Ray
Robert Murphy

BulldogBelle
12-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Well you didn't forget Aka he is in there twice:)

Perhaps, I was hoping there was two of him. :)

Yes, all those on your list could play in the midfield also. So that brings it up to about 13 players.

Dry Rot
12-02-2007, 11:59 PM
McMahon?

Go_Dogs
13-02-2007, 12:04 PM
West
Cross
Cooney
Boyd
Giansiracusa
Hahn
Higgins
Griffen
McMahon
Eagleton
Power
Johnson
Akermanis
Gilbee

Dry Rot
13-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Our shortage of quality talls is well documented but I'd argue we're also short of the players in between mids and talls eg Hargrave size. IIRC we only have Baird and Tiller coming through.

Re our number of mids, wonder whether trading some away will come into play in the next couple of years?

GVGjr
13-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Our shortage of quality talls is well documented but I'd argue we're also short of the players in between mids and talls eg Hargrave size. IIRC we only have Baird and Tiller coming through.

Re our number of mids, wonder whether trading some away will come into play in the next couple of years?

It's almost impossible to have a perfectly balanced list when you have a policy of best available at draft time. I'd argue that our list on paper is as well or even better balanced than most of the teams. I think we lack just one or two quality players.

Raw Toast
13-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Power is another in this height-range at 189cms, Morris should probably be included at 190cm, while Griffen has shown he can play tall at 187cms, Addison [should also be included in the mids] seems to me taller than his listed 186cms and Hill is also listed at 186cms but is expected to grow a bit IIRC. Heights a funny thing though - Brad Johnson is only listed at 182cms.

Dry Rot
13-02-2007, 10:51 PM
It's almost impossible to have a perfectly balanced list when you have a policy of best available at draft time. I'd argue that our list on paper is as well or even better balanced than most of the teams. I think we lack just one or two tall quality players.

Edited for accuracy. ;)

Dry Rot
13-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Power is another in this height-range at 189cms, Morris should probably be included at 190cm, while Griffen has shown he can play tall at 187cms, Addison [should also be included in the mids] seems to me taller than his listed 186cms and Hill is also listed at 186cms but is expected to grow a bit IIRC. Heights a funny thing though - Brad Johnson is only listed at 182cms.

OK, say we include Power and Morris to add to Hargrave.

Do we still have fewer of these players than other clubs?

bornadog
13-02-2007, 11:02 PM
OK, say we include Power and Morris to add to Hargrave.

Do we still have fewer of these players than other clubs?

I wouldn't have thought so especially when you look at the match ups on game day. The problem is we play these sort of players in key positions due to a lack of even taller players. So you get Hargrave , Morris etc playing on players taller than them. In the past we have had Croft, Ellis, Kretuik all playing on taller opponents. Tell you the truth, I am really frustrated with it. We really have to give the young talls game time. It was great to see towards the end of the season Wight staying on the ground and not interchanged.