PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward Makes His Debut!!!

LostDoggy
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Callan has been named in the Centres, not the interchange bench, so it is pretty certain that he will be in the team this weekend.

Mantis
05-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Yep..

In: Ward (named on the wing), Everitt, Hill, Harbrow, Street (all on extended bench)

Out: Callan, Murphy

LostDoggy
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
This is great news, I think that he reall deserves this. Hopefully he will have a good game on Sunday.

Bulldog4life
05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Yep..

I: Ward (named on the wing), Everitt, Hill, Harbrow, Street (all emergencies)Out: Callan, Murphy

That would be interchange at this stage not emergencies.:)

The Coon Dog
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I think all of us have been following Callan's progress since mjp alerted us to his potential last year.

I remember being at the draft & being told by Rocket that we may infact select him with the pick we got from Richmond for Jordan McMahon. It was nervy leading up to pick 19. North Melbourne took Robbie Tarrant with pick 15, so that made our decision a bit easier as it was a toss up between the two.

Ohh oh, up to pick 18 & Alex Rance still hasn't gone. No one expected him to slide like that. Fortunately Richmond took him after taking an eternity to decide.

Pick #19 was ours & I was so happy when Scott Clayton called out Callan's name.

I have met Callan a number of times since he's become a Bulldog & he's so very down to earth, extremely polite & well mannered. A credit to his family.

Good luck on Sunday Cal, may the day be everything you have ever dreamed of!

You've made one of your former coaches a happy man. Isn't that true mjp?

bulldog
05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
i am so stoked cal is playing this week hope he has a big one

LostDoggy
05-06-2008, 07:34 PM
NAB Rising Star award is coming.....maybe this weekend? :D

Mofra
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Excellent news for the Ward family, hope the kid soaks it all up, as he may need tt get used to it 200+ more times :D

hujsh
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Great news. Hopefully will be hard to drop when others are fit.

Imagine if he was a full time footballer.

The Underdog
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Best of luck Cal, there'll be a bunch of people from this site with their fingers crossed that you have a good one. Hope it's the start of a long and successful career.
And Cal's in my Supercoach team already (so feel free to get 20 possies and kick 5 Cal cos I've got 3 forwards out:o).

DOG GOD
05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Well done Cal...absolute credit to you dude for all your hard work. May u celebrate with a win on sunday. All of us will be watching you with eager eyes.

ALL THE BEST!!!

The Coon Dog
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Good article on the club's website:

Young pup ready to take on St Kilda (http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsid=60940)

Bumper Bulldogs
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Fantastic news, hope he lines up with Aker down forward as aker will look after him and give him a lace out pass to join the "Goal with the first kick" club.

best of luck and enjoy the day.

BulldogBelle
05-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Good luck to Callan, it will be an exciting day for him come Sunday. Hope he has a memorable day!

alwaysadog
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Fantastic news, hope he lines up with Aker down forward as aker will look after him and give him a lace out pass to join the "Goal with the first kick" club.

best of luck and enjoy the day.

Best of luck Cal.

On another point isn't it amazing the way we have come to appreciate what Aker brings, and know he will find a way to a) look after Cal and b) bring him into the game if he needs it.
As Cal is a smart player he and Aker will do well together.

Topdog
06-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Hopefully the fans expectations aren't too high for a first gamer who is still going to school.

Good luck Cal!

DOG GOD
06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Hopefully the fans expectations aren't too high for a first gamer who is still going to school.

Good luck Cal!

I think we are all just over the moon Topdog to see Callan get his chance after some fine performances so far for Willy. Seems like a very focused young guy, who understands what it will take to make it in the AFL. All the interviews i've read with him he comes across as a very down to earth guy with a great upbringing (exactly what TCD said in an earlier post).

Just enjoy the day and make every second count. The 1st of MANY MANY games to come for the red, white and blue.

Go_Dogs
06-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Good luck to the lad, I'm sure he'll do himself and his teammates proud.

LostDoggy
06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Anyone who's seen this kid play knows that he'll be a gun for years to come. Better long-term prospect than your Palmers and Cotchins, IMHO -- big call, some may think, but many lower draft picks do better than their earlier-drafted counterparts, and pick 19 isn't exactly late.

Was always going to be the first of our 2007 draft litter to get a game.

--

Not expecting too much too fast, just excited that the time has finally come.

LostDoggy
06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
It's always good to see a young kid that has knocked the door down to break into the team. It shows them that if you put in the effort you will get the reward. Well done young fella.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Was looking firward to seeing Cal playing his first game. Unfortunately they're neither showing the game on Free to Air or on FOXTEL up here in Brisbane....... what a joke:mad:

LostDoggy
06-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Another to do the Number 14 gurnsey proud

Sockeye Salmon
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Another to do the Number 14 gurnsey proud

If only he turns out to be half as good as Barry Standfield.

Mantis
06-06-2008, 05:19 PM
If only he turns out to be half as good as Barry Standfield.

Didn't Standfield wear no. 17??

Topdog
06-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Was looking firward to seeing Cal playing his first game. Unfortunately they're neither showing the game on Free to Air or on FOXTEL up here in Brisbane....... what a joke:mad:

You won't watch it live but at least you will get to watch it at home one night next week thanks to the internet.

BTW i wasn't meaning from people here. I know we are all just excited to see the kid get his chance.

The best thing is he has fully deserved it.

Sockeye Salmon
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Ahhh. Of course he did. Bugger.

Der, he played at the same time as Luke Darcy. :o

LostDoggy
06-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Keenan Reynolds?

Sockeye Salmon
06-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Shouldn't he be a ruckman?

John Schultz
Barry Round
Luke Darcy

Groenewegen was 14, wasn't he?

GVGjr
06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I heard Darcy mention that he did a handover of the number 14 to Callan and said that all the reports he gets on him is that he is a hard worker and a very talented player. Exciting times for the young man. Any chance that he will score a goal with his first kick? :D

GetDimmaBack
06-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Standfield? Salmon?
You seem to have a thing about the South Gippsland boys, SS...any others on your radar? Laurie Rippon perhaps?

Sockeye Salmon
07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Standfield? Salmon?
You seem to have a thing about the South Gippsland boys, SS...any others on your radar? Laurie Rippon perhaps?

Steve Wallis?
Mocca Dunstan?
Stuart Wigney?

I reckon Dave Bryden was from Wonthaggi as well.

The Coon Dog
07-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Steve Wallis?
Mocca Dunstan?
Stuart Wigney?

I reckon Dave Bryden was from Wonthaggi as well.
Wallis - Leongatha
Dunstan - Fish Creek
Wigney - Leongatha
Bryden - Wonthaggi

Murph
07-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Besides probably Griff & Coon who were both top end pics, I don't recall so much internal hype about a young kids' debut. I'm really looking forward to see how the kid goes. I'm yet to see him play at Willy, but hopefully he's as composed & talented as the reports indicate.

hujsh
07-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Besides probably Griff & Coon who were both top end pics, I don't recall so much internal hype about a young kids' debut. I'm really looking forward to see how the kid goes. I'm yet to see him play at Willy, but hopefully he's as composed & talented as the reports indicate.

We can only hope. Helps that he's a local boy. Welcome to WOOF.

Stevo
07-06-2008, 10:46 AM

We have a tendency to hype up our youngsters. Higgins got a fair write up around the traps and when Brad Johnson first played there was a huge amount of interest.

Ward is a talented young fellow and will settle in quickly into this line up.

LostDoggy
07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Always great to see some new blood but I think it's particularly pleasing to see a boy who lives up the road from the Club pulling on the Red, White & Blue! It's so rare these days to see a kid get picked up by what would have in the past been their local Club.

Good luck Callan, let's hope the boys can help make it a memorable debut by coming away with a good win!!

Murph
08-06-2008, 12:54 AM
We can only hope. Helps that he's a local boy. Welcome to WOOF.

Thanks Hujsh, and thanks also to S Salmon for directing me onto Woof. Looks to be a great site, I have lots of catching up to do!

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
We have a tendency to hype up our youngsters. Higgins got a fair write up around the traps and when Brad Johnson first played there was a huge amount of interest.
I don't believe its that its hyped. We are no different from most clubs, and well below the hype from clubs like Collingwood.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Anyone who saw the kid play today will know that it's no hype. Uber-comfortable at this level, classy in possession, hard at the ball. And all in his first game.

Can't believe how he slid to pick 19.

Joel Selwood deja vu.

The Coon Dog
08-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Can't believe how he slid to pick 19.

You should have been there, knowing we were going to get him if he was available. It was agonising, particularly when they returned from the first interval & Richmond had pick 18 & requested extra time. It was nerve racking! Myself & TCP nearly jumped out of our seats we were that excited.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Good work by Ward today..

Anyone notice his socks...one all the way up, one all the way down...noticed it pre-game and then during the game...one of those weird things footy players do, for good luck etc? lol

BulldogBelle
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Wallis - Leongatha
Dunstan - Fish Creek
Wigney - Leongatha
Bryden - Wonthaggi

Gary Walpole - Fish Creek
Baz Standfield - Fish Creek

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Good work by Ward today..

Anyone notice his socks...one all the way up, one all the way down...noticed it pre-game and then during the game...one of those weird things footy players do, for good luck etc? lol

Yep. And i've noticed it on Hudson every single game this year..... it's getting to obsessive compulsive stage!

Good first game for him, looked casual and fitted in well.

The Coon Dog
08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Anyone notice the reaction from his team mates when Callan kicked his goal? Brought a tear to my eye at the time!

western cookie
08-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Looks like he`s got an extremely bright future. Good decisions Good disposal and another hard runner. Seemed to make the transition to senior level seamlessly.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I am pleased with the effort that he put in today, I couldnt stop smiling after he kicked that goal. I hope he has a great career with the Bulldogs.

wimberga
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Was wierd.

I did notice the sock thing, though i think Hudson has one sock up for a shinguard.

Anyone see when Luke Ball and a few others were trying to rough Callan up inside our forward 50 in the last quarter? Was impressed with Tiller, but dissapointed nobody else bothered to help out the young fella

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
You should have been there, knowing we were going to get him if he was available. It was agonising, particularly when they returned from the first interval & Richmond had pick 18 & requested extra time. It was nerve racking! Myself & TCP nearly jumped out of our seats we were that excited.

I know.. remember reading your great post about your day at the draft. Still one of my favourites from WOOF! Rance was going to be good too, but this kid is ALL class.

I love the fact he's a local boy too.

hujsh
08-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Was wierd.

I did notice the sock thing, though i think Hudson has one sock up for a shinguard.

Anyone see when Luke Ball and a few others were trying to rough Callan up inside our forward 50 in the last quarter? Was impressed with Tiller, but dissapointed nobody else bothered to help out the young fella

The comentators said Williams stood up for him but i thought it was Tiller and someone else

BulldogBelle
08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Was wierd.

Didn't Everitt jump in? Everyone else seemed a long way from it.

GVGjr
08-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Everitt and Tiller jumped in

Bulldog Revolution
08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Anyone notice the reaction from his team mates when Callan kicked his goal?

Great response as pretty much every player on the ground ruffled young Cals hair or gave him a pat on the back

Dont think it will have affected Ward. Not only did he not shirk any pf the tough stuff it was almost like he was looking for an opportunity to lay a big tackle or just knock someone off the footy.

Mofra
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Anyone notice the reaction from his team mates when Callan kicked his goal? Brought a tear to my eye at the time!
Was massive. Kid summed up the situation & finished well, and the crowd reaction for a local was brilliant

bornadog
08-06-2008, 11:45 PM
This kid is cool as a cucumber playing with the big boys.

He did a couple of good things today and racked up 12 disposals, including 4 marks and a goal as well as a great pass to Aker who kicked one of his 6.

wimberga
08-06-2008, 11:45 PM
The comentators said Williams stood up for him but i thought it was Tiller and someone else

Was definetely Tiller, was my side of the Ground. everitt did remonstrate a bit aswell.

Its not that i thought that it will have affected him, i just hoped he would get a little more support, plus i dont mind seeing the red white and blue dish some out after copping a bit and doing nothing in recent times

Topdog
09-06-2008, 12:01 AM
It was most likely the Dogs saying 'ah its just Luke Ball'.

Plus he more than handled himself in that one and Tiller and Everit aren't exactly small lads.

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
He had a great start to his career today, hopefully we'll be seeing a lot of him in the next few years.

I'm not concerned about the scuffle, seriously, the whole team doesn't have to go and remonstrate after a small scuffle- one or two players in the vicinity is surely enough.

bornadog
09-06-2008, 12:11 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/CallanWard.jpg

hujsh
09-06-2008, 01:08 AM

HE IS GOD

NoseBleed
09-06-2008, 01:30 AM

Tiller and Everitt. Good to see 3 young Doggies proud to stand up for each other.

NoseBleed.

westdog54
09-06-2008, 03:21 AM
This kid is cool as a cucumber playing with the big boys.

He did a couple of good things today and racked up 12 disposals, including 4 marks and a goal as well as a great pass to Aker who kicked one of his 6.

Twodogs sent me an SMS saying he'd racked up about 20 disposals.

Geez he loves to embellish the efforts of our youngsters doesn't he?

W W Biscuit
09-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Ward is a talented young fellow and will settle in quickly into this line up.

You don't mind hyping the youngsters when they are as good as Shaun and Brad! A good, solid debut for Cal. He will do the number 14 proud.

GetDimmaBack
09-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Wallis - Leongatha
Dunstan - Fish Creek
Wigney - Leongatha
Bryden - Wonthaggi

Cristin Macri - Leongatha
Harry Skreja - Toora
Ivan Rasmussen - Leongatha

DOG GOD
09-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Well done Callan...Great debut dude. To kick a goal in your first game was AWESOME!!! Been looking for a new favourite player since Faulkner left, and may have found it in the number 14.

You fitted like a hand in glove out there. Did yourself and the guernsey proud. ;)

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prince Imperial
09-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Is it just me or is there a touch of Harry Kewell about our Cal?

Go_Dogs
09-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Thought he was fantastic yesterday. First time I've been able to properly see him in action, he's a great mover, composed and used the ball pretty well. Few turn overs and blunders, but overall a very impressive debut, and no doubt he has a huge future with the club. Just seems like he belonged out there and knew what to do.

The Coon Dog
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Is it just me or is there a touch of Harry Kewell about our Cal?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8930/95909173fo9.jpg
What makes you think that?

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8930/95909173fo9.jpg
What makes you think that?

That's gold!!!!!!!! Go you Reds - shame Harry couldn't shake the injuries.

Callan Ward, super impressive yesterday. Very athletic, though looks like he can put on muscle quickly as well, in 2 years he'll hopefully have a Judd/Deledio style physique. Looking forward to his development

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
That's gold!!!!!!!! Go you Reds - shame Harry couldn't shake the injuries.

Callan Ward, super impressive yesterday. Very athletic, though looks like he can put on muscle quickly as well, in 2 years he'll hopefully have a Judd/Deledio style physique. Looking forward to his development

Does look athletic, and the physical comparison with Deledio is probably appropriate.

Judd however, is another whole story. The kid was the biggest boy in the firsts in Caulfield when he was in YEAR EIGHT. He has always been massive. A couple of his games in year twelve playing against other kids his age, he looked like an AFL player had come back to play at school -- literally a man against boys. He would pretty much run around doing as he pleased. I have never seen a more AFL-ready draftee, physically, mentally and skill-wise, than Juddy. Still can't believe he didn't go number 1.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Does look athletic, and the physical comparison with Deledio is probably appropriate.

Judd however, is another whole story. The kid was the biggest boy in the firsts in Caulfield when he was in YEAR EIGHT. He has always been massive. A couple of his games in year twelve playing against other kids his age, he looked like an AFL player had come back to play at school -- literally a man against boys. He would pretty much run around doing as he pleased. I have never seen a more AFL-ready draftee, physically, mentally and skill-wise, than Juddy. Still can't believe he didn't go number 1.

Likewise, baffling really. I didn't know a thing about him before being drafted, but straight away he was having an impact. And clearly he didn't fade after debut like a Jason Cloke did (he killed in his first game against us)

Twodogs
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Twodogs sent me an SMS saying he'd racked up about 20 disposals.

Geez he loves to embellish the efforts of our youngsters doesn't he?

I started counting during the warm up.

alwaysadog
10-06-2008, 06:13 AM
The Ox paid him a nice compliment during the call of the game; called him "a serial pest". Said he kept playing so well for Willy week after week that the selectors were forced to pick him, and that he'd be in the side for a long while.

Ozza
10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Geez the kid was impressive. Looked really ready to be there. Well balanced, poise, and was not shy in being physical.

craigsahibee
10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Gary Walpole - Fish Creek
Baz Standfield - Fish Creek

Greg Epplestun - Won Wron Woodside

Topdog
10-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Agree with everyone here, he was super impressive.

Really didn't do a lot wrong and showed a lot of poise and probably the most important thing was his confidence. Looked like he knew he deserved to be there.

There was 1 play in the 3rd (i believe) where Tiller scrambled for a loose ball, sheparded for Ward who then tried to sneak between 2 players before getting tackled. I think we lost the ball from it but it was so pleasing (I used this word just for Rocket) to see a young kid prepared to take them on.

Cyberdoggie
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
he also showed us all a glimpse of his special abilities,

made 2 great long passes cm perfect using great vision in a contested situation.

also didn't hesitate to slot that goal, loves to kick a long goal.

yeah the sock thing he's been doing for a while, always left sock up right down.
Makes it easy to spot him on the field anyway.

Twodogs
10-06-2008, 05:30 PM
he also showed us all a glimpse of his special abilities,

made 2 great long passes cm perfect using great vision in a contested situation.

also didn't hesitate to slot that goal, loves to kick a long goal.

yeah the sock thing he's been doing for a while, always left sock up right down.
Makes it easy to spot him on the field anyway.

Westy used to do the same thing early in his career. Callan runs on his toes the same way Scooter used to as well.

Big Bad Dog
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Agree with everyone here, he was super impressive.

Really didn't do a lot wrong and showed a lot of poise and probably the most important thing was his confidence. Looked like he knew he deserved to be there.

There was 1 play in the 3rd (i believe) where Tiller scrambled for a loose ball, sheparded for Ward who then tried to sneak between 2 players before getting tackled. I think we lost the ball from it but it was so pleasing (I used this word just for Rocket) to see a young kid prepared to take them on.

Yes very impressive & the start of a great career it guna be a joy to watch.
Thank u Rfc for pick 19 & not picking him at pick 18!
Another nail in the Wallace coffin!

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM

Yup, that's a real shame hey?

Brown on MMM during the call on Sunday,Bunghole giving it to him...'and to think, you could have had all this...add an N Brown to that mix and ...'

Too funny

The Coon Dog
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM

If Richmond did take him with pick 19, they would have missed out on Alex Rance, who many expected to go much earlier.

Interesting what we would have done had we had the choice of Rance or Ward. I suspect we might have gone with Rance too.

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
If Richmond did take him with pick 19, they would have missed out on Alex Rance, who many expected to go much earlier.

Interesting what we would have done had we had the choice of Rance or Ward. I suspect we might have gone with Rance too.

well without the trade for McMahon they would have had both

hujsh
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
well without the trade for McMahon they would have had both

And had a much brighter future

Scorlibo
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM

I think once Tarrant was gone it was always going to be Ward for pick 19. You were there on draft day weren't you TCD? From your reports from the day I gathered that there was a very nervous wait for Callan from a bulldogs perspective - that would indicate that Ward was the favoured option would it not?

I think it would have been a pretty silly decision to go with Rance - we have plenty of tall defenders atm and had Ward been born a little later probably would have gone top 5 or 10 in the 2008 draft.

The Coon Dog
10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I think once Tarrant was gone it was always going to be Ward for pick 19. You were there on draft day weren't you TCD? From your reports from the day I gathered that there was a very nervous wait for Callan from a bulldogs perspective

The thinking at the time was Tarrant or Ward, which I believe was predicated on an assumption that Rance would have well & truly gone by then.

We might have done this, or might have done that, but you can only play with the cards you are dealt with. We traded McMahon for pick 19 which we used to select Callan Ward. Looks like we got dealt a royal flush!

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
The thinking at the time was Tarrant or Ward, which I believe was predicated on an assumption that Rance would have well & truly gone by then.

We might have done this, or might have done that, but you can only play with the cards you are dealt with. We traded McMahon for pick 19 which we used to select Callan Ward. Looks like we got dealt a royal flush!

AYE - hasn't he faded very badly (Jordan) He was one of my favourites a few years back, but he hasn't hurt us at all, we've certainly won out of that deal. Greg Miller is looking very silly

GetDimmaBack
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Greg Epplestun - Won Wron Woodside

Max Parker - Welshpool
Gary Baker - Meeniyan-Dumbalk United

Scorlibo
10-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Indeed, pre-draft I read about Ward and thought what a blessing it would be to have him in the side. Just sounded like a real natural footballer, which are hard to come by these days sometimes with all the obsession around the athleticism of a player. I haven't had a favourite player since Bubba retired, but I think I've just found my next.

Dry Rot
15-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Finally had a good look at the lad tonight. Aside from one dodgy disposal, he really looked the goods.

Indeed more than the goods, he not only looked like AFL standard, but something special at AFL standard.

Twodogs
15-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Finally had a good look at the lad tonight. Aside from one dodgy disposal, he really looked the goods.

Indeed more than the goods, he not only looked like AFL standard, but something special at AFL standard.

He has the composure of a 200 gamer already.

The best thing about him is when he shows up an opponent we can all advise said opponent that he's just been shown up by a schoolboy and if he wants to whinge to someone then tell his form teacher and she'll give him detention!

hujsh
15-06-2008, 06:12 PM
He has the composure of a 200 gamer already.

The best thing about him is when he shows up an opponent we can all advise said opponent that he's just been shown up by a schoolboy and if he wants to whinge to someone then tell his form teacher and she'll give him detention!

He would never have detention. He would say, "I'm training with the Western Bulldogs," and the teachers would just let him go.

Although he doesn't seem to be a trouble maker so it wouldn't be an issue