PDA

View Full Version : Caro and faint praise

alwaysadog
08-06-2008, 11:29 PM
First thing this morning I broke a pledge about not reading pieces by journalists who muck rake all the time. But it was about the Bulldogs and seemed positive so I excused myself.
I nearly choked on my coffee when it appeared that Caro was saying something nice about us. James Fantasia's words to her have worked I thought. Unfortunately I read on and things soon turned to her usual formula.

We were only being used so she could stick the knife into someone else. I finished the piece and thought the sub text was if the Bulldogs can get their act together anybody can.

Sorry James you'll have to keep on her case on a regular basis and I'll refrain from fantasies about leopards changing their spots. Pixies will appear at the bottom of our garden before said journo straightens out her act.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I am sick of th Bulldogs being looked at in this way. When will a journalist like Caro actually give us actual praise for what the club has achieved during the past five years?

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Club has achieved stuff all in last 5yrs. Lets be honest. A couple of finals games and one year of decent membership.

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Club has achieved stuff all in last 5yrs. Lets be honest. A couple of finals games and one year of decent membership.

What a dumb statement.

Not even worth explaining why either because most member appreciate what has happened at our club in the past five years.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 01:17 AM

It seems you're very disenfranchised with the club Jerry. I guess that's from the past of the club but i won't pretend to know.

NoseBleed
09-06-2008, 01:26 AM

Kidding aren't you?

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=83&stc=1&d=1212934926

Is your name Jerry or Tony?

Sheesh...

NoseBleed.

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 01:29 AM

So you are saying that the $26million redevelopment of the Whitten oval, which has given us some of the best training facilities in the AFL, a thing which no one thought would ever happen a few years ago and also making a profit for the first time in around 7 years is no big achievement.

With what you have said about our membership is not completly true either. Compared to other clubs in the AFl, yes our membership may look poor, but that does not change the fact that before this year ( which I will admit I think has been fairly poor from those supporters who did not sign re-sign from last year) we have broken the clubs membership record 3 years in a row.

The thing that I can nt beleive about the post is that you claim to be a Bulldogs supporter yet you say somthing stupid like that about what we have achieved recently. If you payed any attention to what has happened recently you would know that we have made some huge achievements lately.:mad:

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 02:04 AM

The good thing about this website, is that everyone is entitled to have an opinion,
but, 'lets be honest', no one has to agree with such a ridiculous view.

Jerry, you're either trying to bait everybody, or you haven't read any of the positive posts on WOOF. Just try the 'Smorgon on MMM' thread, and check the AFL ladder.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 08:40 AM
That 03 ladder tells a story - how badly have Freo fallen? How well have Geelong, and to a lesser extent us, recovered? And Richmond/Melbourne are still the same.

To see Galimberti & Gordon back at the club mid-week for the opening of the new centre (and appeared pretty emotional) was fantastic - there's a fair bit going on down there. Other journos (Sheehan amongst them) reckon the staff at the club walk around noticeably prouder than before.

One bit of that article was interesting - her praise for Campbell Rose, and that he meets Eade and the football staff weekly now. I was very nervous about that 'relationship' pre-season. To be honest, I saw us losing to Adelaide round 1, then potentially bottoming out weeks later and Rose calling for his head. I'm rapt Eade's turned it around and that they at least appear to be working together.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
That 03 ladder tells a story - how badly have Freo fallen? How well have Geelong, and to a lesser extent us, recovered? And Richmond/Melbourne are still the same.

To see Galimberti & Gordon back at the club mid-week for the opening of the new centre (and appeared pretty emotional) was fantastic - there's a fair bit going on down there. Other journos (Sheehan amongst them) reckon the staff at the club walk around noticeably prouder than before.

One bit of that article was interesting - her praise for Campbell Rose, and that he meets Eade and the football staff weekly now. I was very nervous about that 'relationship' pre-season. To be honest, I saw us losing to Adelaide round 1, then potentially bottoming out weeks later and Rose calling for his head. I'm rapt Eade's turned it around and that they at least appear to be working together.

I was told first hand that there was no problem with their relationship.

There was a concerted campaign earlier in the year by an ex-employee now at another club who had an axe to grind with Campbell Rose.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 08:57 PM

There was a concerted campaign earlier in the year by an ex-employee now at another club who had an axe to grind with Campbell Rose.

Interesting - I wouldn't know as I'm not close to anyone at the club, that rumour was doing the media traps pre-season, then they mentioned Smorgon invited both of them to his joint to 'break bread' after a cooking course he had taken after the passing of David's wife, and that this dinner had thawed the relationship.

If no issue ever with them, then good news. Funny the misinformation/embellishment that goes around - after reading all this, and after our fade out last year, I wasn't overly optimistic. Glad to be way off

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 12:31 AM

Who is the ex employee?

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Who is the ex employee?

Not Wallace, Brown, McMahon or Royal but that's the club.

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Not Wallace, Brown, McMahon or Royal but that's the club.

Hmmm, got me there Sockeye ....... a former assistant coach maybe?

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Hmmm, got me there Sockeye ....... a former assistant coach maybe?

Perhaps a former Football Operations Manager who got sacked by Rose?

Who's initials might be Paul Armstrong

hujsh
10-06-2008, 02:00 AM

...still don't know:rolleyes:

:D

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM

I didnt realise he was at Richmond. I met him once and thought he was a bit of a loud mouth actually. He must be good in his interviews though because he has been in football operations at Geelong, Bulldogs and Richmond.

Obviously get discovered for his deficiencies though because he doesnt seem to remain in one place for long.

GetDimmaBack
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I think you'll find that Armstrong went to Richmond because Terry Wallet wanted him there, like Choco Royal, Gordon Casey & Jordan McMahon - wanted Scotty Clayton too, but thankfully SC didn't go.

Twodogs
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
I didnt realise he was at Richmond. I met him once and thought he was a bit of a loud mouth actually. He must be good in his interviews though because he has been in football operations at Geelong, Bulldogs and Richmond.

Obviously get discovered for his deficiencies though because he doesnt seem to remain in one place for long.

He was at Collingwood as well. Before he was with us.

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I think you'll find that Armstrong went to Richmond because Terry Wallet wanted him there, like Choco Royal, Gordon Casey & Jordan McMahon - wanted Scotty Clayton too, but thankfully SC didn't go.

It was never a realistic attempt to poach him. Rocket told us that Wallace rang Clayton who said 'not interested'. Everything else you read in the papers was more Armstrong bullshit.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 05:46 PM
First thing this morning I broke a pledge about not reading pieces by journalists who muck rake all the time. But it was about the Bulldogs and seemed positive so I excused myself.
I nearly choked on my coffee when it appeared that Caro was saying something nice about us. James Fantasia's words to her have worked I thought. Unfortunately I read on and things soon turned to her usual formula.

We were only being used so she could stick the knife into someone else. I finished the piece and thought the sub text was if the Bulldogs can get their act together anybody can.

Sorry James you'll have to keep on her case on a regular basis and I'll refrain from fantasies about leopards changing their spots. Pixies will appear at the bottom of our garden before said journo straightens out her act.

Is someone able to post a copy of the Article?

aker39
13-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Here it is

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/dogs-show-roos-a-brighter-future/2008/06/07/1212259188292.html

TWO FINANCIALLY struggling Victorian football clubs celebrated their futures this week. A third celebrated its past.

North Melbourne set the ball rolling six days ago when it unveiled a still vague but promising vision for Arden Street based around the surrounding multicultural community it has largely ignored until now.

The Kangaroos are working to reinvent themselves and the task that lies ahead is daunting as they search for a new local identity.

Only last weekend, Foxtel's coverage of their clash with the Brisbane Lions featured a Kangaroo logo that has been shelved and still a significant proportion of the club's recalcitrant shareholders are hedging their bets and holding on to a Gold Coast future that pretty much everyone else, including the AFL, has abandoned.

The club has taken money to play games in Sydney, Canberra and southern Queensland and abandoned all three. Now it has little choice but to win the support of its own backyard and an ethnic community that Essendon and the Western Bulldogs have been wooing for some years and North has ignored.

The planned multicultural centre at Arden Street has won funding from state and local government, the AFL and the Peter Scanlon Foundation. Andrew Demetriou, who last year privately told key Kangaroos that even he could not fix the club should it choose to remain in Melbourne, now has thrown his support behind the club and the Arden Street redevelopment which, of course, is a creative attempt to build better training facilities and win young supporters, recognising that to take, the club must also give.

Even the plan to ditch the Kangaroo from the club's clash jumper and replace it with a soccer-style design seems aimed at the migrant community. For North Melbourne to continue to remain afloat, it needs money from the AFL's special assistance fund — Telstra Dome will not cut the club a better deal — and to keep getting the money, the club needs to adopt a new business plan and stick to it.

And North needs to find a way to replace the $1.2 million it would have made had it played on the Gold Coast next year. If the AFL grants the Kangaroos a historic Good Friday game then the competition's support for the club will not be questioned.

On the strength of the Geelong game two nights ago, a few more Friday night fixtures should surely go the club's way as well.

Two days after the North Melbourne launch, the Western Bulldogs unveiled the Whitten Oval's elite learning centre, a football, sports medicine and training facility which had to be seen to be believed when you consider the club's previous working and training conditions. For the second time in three days, the Victorian Sports Minister, James Mileno, trumpeted his Government's generosity, making it clear that public money will go to football clubs that use their imagination and embrace their communities.

The Bulldogs are still struggling to build their membership and face a thicket of bureaucratic tape if they are to achieve their final vision in the west of Melbourne, but what they have achieved at their once certifiable training facility off the back of an $8 million Federal Government grant is staggering.

The club's vision is years ahead of the Kangaroos, whose dithering over the Gold Coast wasted the AFL's time as well as their own.

Campbell Rose, the Bulldogs' unconventional CEO, now meets Rodney Eade and his football staff every week. Onfield, the Bulldogs are thriving this season. Eade has worked wonders with his group and remarkably — when you consider what he inherited and what he has achieved — Rose is never mentioned among the leading club chief executives when positions at other clubs become vacant.

It has only been in very recent AFL history that the Melbourne Football Club has been thrown in with the Bulldogs and the Kangaroos when clubs at risk are discussed. A decade ago the Demons still had an establishment cachet about them. Now the AFL states they are most endangered of the lot.

Last night, the club finally honoured its 150th birthday in the midst of a horror season with a moving celebration of the heroes of the past. Now the rebuilding for the future must begin.

The Paul Gardner regime, it must be said, has not achieved much. The club cannot be blamed for the delays and design changes of its potential new training facility in the Olympic Park precinct, but that is the price you pay for not controlling your own destiny.

The Casey relocation is bold but risky and the Melbourne Cricket Club is treating its one-time headline act like a poor relation. Jim Stynes, Paul McNamee and the melded new board have a frightening amount of work to do.

Melbourne the football club still has no home and is bottoming out as the AFL is due to hand the best young footballers in the country to two new teams.

The Demons' timing could scarcely have been worse

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks Aker39, just reading it now.

cheers,