PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams - Forward?

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Mobile, quick, strong, good hands - could he be a gun forward?

Will need a lot more goal kicking practise if so - thoughts?

The Coon Dog
09-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Mobile, quick, strong, good hands - could he be a gun forward?

Will need a lot more goal kicking practise if so - thoughts?

Similar with Brian Lake & maybe if there is no obvious match up, or we want/need to change things around, but for me, play them where we are likely to benefit us most. Lake = FB & Williams = CHB.

GetDimmaBack
09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Similar with Brian Lake & maybe if there is no obvious match up, or we want/need to change things around, but for me, play them where we are likely to benefit us most. Lake = FB & Williams = CHB.

Agreed. Williams is so athletic though, you'd think he could play anywhere with a bit of experience. Not wanting to jump the gun, but there's a little bit of Buddy about the way he plays...

If we could afford to play him forward, could he possibly be the key forward we've been looking for?
Wouldn't be practical at the moment.

Brian Lake - possibly All Australian FB. Leave him there!

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Agreed. Williams is so athletic though, you'd think he could play anywhere with a bit of experience. Not wanting to jump the gun, but there's a little bit of Buddy about the way he plays...

If we could afford to play him forward, could he possibly be the key forward we've been looking for?
Wouldn't be practical at the moment.

Brian Lake - possibly All Australian FB. Leave him there!

With Bradshaw possibly out, there's another opportunity for Tom to play forward. Did anyone notice how badly he hooked his shot from the goal square? If he was 15-20 out, that same kick might've missed!

Lake's another one who can spot teamates out of defence but can't kick well for goal.

dog town
09-06-2008, 10:46 AM
He reads the game better from defence but he could still do damage as a forward. It is going to be one of those ones where we just have to weigh up whats better for the team at any given moment. IMO he is a Trent Croad type (hopefully better) and coming from a rugby background that is no suprise. He runs very well in straight lines and loves to kick with penetration. He reads the game better from behind the ball but his sheer athletic abilities still make him dangerous as a forward. Let him master the backline part first before we start throwing him around all the time would be my advice.

As good and as promising as he was yesterday he really hasn't done anything yet. He is still a work in progress.

Go_Dogs
09-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I thought it was good to see him thrown forward, and also saw him running through the middle briefly at one stage. My opinion is we had the game won, and Eade wanted to trial a few things quickly. I don't mind Tommy up forward, but I love his composure down back. His disposal has been first rate, and I thought he was a calming head down back yesterday.

Going to be very interesting to see how he develops over the course of the year from this point. For mine, he was very, very good yesterday. Still a long way to go, but he's coming along nicely.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2008, 03:22 PM
My word he could play forward.

He put 5 yards on Hudgeton in a flash.

Don't worry about his kicking, it's very good, I just think he had some first-goal-ever nerves.

Topdog
09-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I certainly liked what I saw. Very quick on the lead and for the most part lead to good spots.

Never really got tangled up with any other player.

bornadog
09-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Don't worry about his kicking, it's very good, I just think he had some first-goal-ever nerves.

What about that pass to Aker just before 3/4 time, brilliant.

GVGjr
09-06-2008, 04:08 PM
He will be able to play as a forward in the coming season and I can see him playing a role for us like McPharlin does for the Dockers. How good was that pass of his into the forward 50?

Scorlibo
09-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd like to see him put in the forwardline again in a similar situation to the one yesterday. Our backline has notably improved with TomaWill down there and he is evidently important to our backline structure but at the same time, it was exciting to see him causing some trouble up forward. Next week some opportunities may arise with Bradshaw out.

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Tom gives us great run out of defence and I reckon he'd be wasted up forward in the short term.

Having said that, with Bradshaw out I can see him or Lake getting a run up forward this week.

I reckon that Tom will get Brown first up though.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Nice wasn't it? For a lump of a lad from a rugby background, it's a super impressive package.

The first goal ever nerves is an interesting point too, getting that 50 might be the best thing that happened to him (he had a massive grin once he realised the 50 was on) He gives it a roost too, if they go straight, 50+ out isn't a problem. Wherever he plays, I'm a massive fan

Desipura
10-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Great call, made mention of it at the time. Great awareness, could have had a ping at goals however played the percentages.

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
This week was the first time I really noticed him and liked what I saw. Last week I thought he did a great job on Buddy keeping him to 3 real goal and 2 free to good home shots. But just the run and presents he had really impressed me. I would prefer him to stay in the backline but wouldn't mind him from time to time having a stint up forward. I would like to see hime get the dangerous forwards (i.e Brown) it may cost us a few goals short term but he would surely benifit from the experiance and we have the options to move players around if it becomes to problematic.

Side note 50 posts yay go me.