PDA

View Full Version : Round 11 Dogs vs Lions

Mofra
09-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday 14th June, MCG 2:10pm
(Yes, a day early however I may be busy tomorrow)

FORM THIS SEASON:
Bulldogs: 9 wins, 1 draw, 1 Loss (3rd)
Lions: 7 wins, 4 losses (6th)

The Bulldogs second win in 7 weeks against the Saints (a bogey team of recent times) proves the new-look Bulldogs outfit to be a genuine contender (despite what Grant Thomas thinks). Although the Saints did pretty up the scoreboard with a number of junk time goals, this was in part due to Eade's plan at 3 quarter time to play all the kids in different positions to offer some genuine gametime to the pups. All the more pleasing was reaching the 100 point margin for the 11th straight time this season, and doing so without (arguably) our real best mid-sized forward, Robert Murphy. Akermanis lifted in his absence, with 11 shots on goal (6.4, 1 not making the distance) which included some tight angle set shots that he duly iced. Boyd showed his late 2007 form was no fluke, with 34 touches in his 101st game, whilst Gia's 4 goals from limited gametime showed just how important he is as an impact player.
This was a win on the back of perhaps a season defining victory against ladder-leaders Hawthorn, who, despite injuries to a few key runners, looked out of sorts against a ferocious Bulldog outfit. The Bulldogs have lifted their intensity in the past two weeks, noticeably in their attack on the ball after a smarting loss to North Melbourne two weeks ago and appear to again be on the improve.

Meanwhile the Lions with 20 fit players cruised to 22 point victory against a Dockers side which has clearly lost it's mojo. Black continued his brilliant season with a BOG performance, whilst silky midfielder Travis Johnstone (3 goals) and the designated Brisbane quarterback Joel McDonald (30 touches) were influential. Big Jon Brown (15 marks, 22 possies) also kicked 3 for the Lions as the major focal point after Bradshaw left the field in the 3rd quarter with a hamstring injury. Brisbane have now put together 3 wins in a row and appear to be in some serious form heading into the clash with the mighty Doggies.

PLAYERS MISSING - TEAM SELECTION:

The Bulldogs will miss Shaun Higgins for a few more weeks at least, along with some bloke called Scott who is rumoured to have played a game or two. Lake hurt his knee against the Saints but played on after quarter time and is expected to play on Saturday. Murphy should be back after having a week's holiday due to Xavier Ellis head-butting his shoulder, although he would have missed the Saints clash anyway with gout.

The Lions have their own injury worries with Bradshaw carrying a hamstring (a common occurrence for players coming back from ACLs, as Bulldogs fans are sadly all too aware of). Scott Harding didn't play after 3 quarter time as well, although he continued to cycle and warm up on the sidelines.
Brown is carrying an injured knee however it seems even an amputation wouldn't be enough to stop him from playing these days. Nigel Lappin & Colm Begley are at least a fortnight away, whilst Ash McGrath, Jason Fishegg and Josh Drummond all a chance to return.

LAST MEETING:

Round 11 2007, Gabba (Night Match)
Apologies - no official match report available.

Bulldogs 6.8 7.12 13.15 13.17.95
Lions 2.3 2.7 7.8 10.12.72

Johnno bagged 4 (all in the first half)
Notting & Brennan both kicked 3 for the lions

Ash McGrath being a late withdrawal for the game, this match marked the return of Aker to the Gabba, and the locals let him know all about it, although an Aker mark & goal in the first quarter silenced the crowd somewhat. Johnno starred early with 4 first-half goals, whilst Hahn kicked a contender for goal of the week early in the 3rd. The Bulldogs stopped dead in the last quarter with injuries to Griffen (a season-ending owie with a bad knee) and Cross restricting our run on the night, and eventually our season as losing runners began to take it's toll on our 2007 fortunes. Jared Brennan (rated highly by Clayton) kicked a brilliant goal for the home team but at the end of the night the most enduring image was of Aker's handstand in the centre circle to the rousing boos of the Lions faithful.

KEY DUELS:

Backline:
HF: Johnstone, Brown, Selwood
HB: Addison, Lake, Gilbee
F: Hooper, Clark, Rischitelli
B: Shaggy, Williams, Morris

Jon Brown vs Brian Lake - The big one. Lake should come up with a knee whilst the pressure will be on Brown to lead the team as Bradshaw is likely to miss. Brown may try to lead up the ground to take Lake away from his goalrectangle (the natural habitat of Lakus Brawnus) and if he does so Tommygun may be switched onto him

Addison vs Johnstone - Johnstone has been sent forward as well as playing on the wing, DFA can run with a player in both positions.

Rhan Hooper vs Shaggy Hargrave - Hargrave has been playing on smalls this season, and after flogging both Mark Williams (the Hawthorn chocker, not the coach of the Port chockers) and Farmer in successive weeks, should be able to contain the only Lion with a first name as bad as Farren.

Mitch Clark vs Tom Williams - Young KPP prospects, Clark should play forward in the absence of Bradshaw as well. Williams would feel more comfortable at home in defence. Without Clark in the Lions forward line, Williams should look to go to a resting Leunburger

Selwood may try to play a negating role on Gilbee, Morris to take Rischitelli who has been in fine form. Should a Leunberger or Charman rest forward, Morris to go to Clark and Williams to go to the resting ruckman.

Midfield:
Sherman vs Cooney - The Sherminator has been handed some serious tagging jobs this year, and although he struggled against first year wonder Rhys Palmer last week, would be expecting a big week against (arguably) our best midfielder for 2008 in the Coondog.

Boyd vs Black - Both are in steller form, Black possibly leading the B&F at the Lions whilst Boyd is in career best form, racking up 34 touches whilst beating Dal Santo last week.

Charman vs Hudson - Huddo looks like he should be okay to play, will need to be on his game against the aggressive Charman. The Burger may be a little too mobile around the ground for our rucks however it is our power at the stoppages that would worry Lethal most. Interstingly the Burger is only 1 clearance behind Charman at this stage of the season.

Would expect Cross to go with Power whilst Griffen & Adcock to run together where rotations allow, although the spped of interchange rotations in teh mdifield these days makes direct match-ups hard to predict.

Forwards:
Tiller vs McDonald - Tiller may be asked to play a defensive forward role on the dangerous McDonald whose rebound has sparkled many a forward Lion thrust.

Brennan vs Murphy - Brennan has been playing in defence this year, and his mobility and overhead ability should make this a cracking contest.

Minson vs Merrett - The big ranga is a genuine top line FB, and is probably the only Lions big enough to go with Wilbur

Johnson vs Drummond/Roe - One of the Lions should return this week, leaving Patful for Aker. Both can play a taller role which means they can match Johnno overhead.

WHO WILL WIN AND WHY:

Whilst only Hawthorn have the better 1 & 2 tall forward combo in the AFL, the loss of Bradshaw is massive for the Lions. The key will be in the midfield, where the Lions have a strong contested gameplan based on Lethal's team rules which reward hard efforts. The Bulldogs should be able to match them in this area, with Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Boyd, Eagle, Ray & Gia in the centre rotations comparing favourably with Power, Adcock, Black, Corrie, Notting and perhaps Rischitelli & Johnstone.
The Lions have had an (arguably) tough draw so far this year although the Bulldogs have played 4 of the 7 other teams in the 8, with away wins against the Hawks & Swans being highlights showing interstate travel isn't a huge problem for the pups.
The larger MCG should help the run of the Bulldogs who almost doubled the running bounce total of the Saints last week.

With an unpredictable forwardline, Cooney having a quiet game by his standards last week due to bounce back and Aker is sparkling form (and extra motivation against his old side), I'm predicting a 17 point win to the doggies.

GVGjr
09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
This should be a great game.

The Lions midfield can really test ours plus they have Jonathon Brown who is a difficult one for us to cover. I'm sure there will also be a heap made of another return bout between Akermanis and his former team mates as well.

Mofra, I think you have the match-ups about right but I can't see Brennan lining up on Murphy. If he plays forward who would you pit against him?

dog town
09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
The lions are a really good side. Just well drilled around the contests and keep things pretty simple. They would have been looking forward to a challenge like this as well. Should be a cracker of a game. Bradshaw being out probably sways the game in our favour. They will be hunting us so we cant afford to have an off day.

Mofra
09-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Mofra, I think you have the match-ups about right but I can't see Brennan lining up on Murphy. If he plays forward who would you pit against him?
I initially had him forward for some X-Factor with Morris on him, however the Lions fans I've seen (or have posted on other sites) can't wait to see him vs Murphy go head to head.

Mantis
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Will be our last game at the G before the finals, if we make them.;)

Would have loved the Lions to be at full strength for this one, because if we do get over them there will still be excuses made for them as they will be missing players, much like our win over Hawthorn.

Our midfield will have to be right on the game, Brisbane as we all know have a very talented midfield group so we will have to be accountable through the middle.

An area of improvement for Brisbane has been the inclusion and improvement in Hooper and Corrie who have added some much needed forward pressure. It is almost a neccessity to have a couple of small aboriginal players in your forwardline to help to create some pressure inside your F50.

The game will come down to if we can get enough clean supply to our multi dimensional and multi talented forwardline. As Aker stated in the papers this morning we rely on few and get contributions from many. If Aker is quiet (which he hasn't been for a while) Johnson might bop up, same with Hahn, Murf, Welsh, the list goes on.

By the way Mofra who is Jason Fishegg?

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
An area of improvement for Brisbane has been the inclusion and improvement in Hooper and Corrie who have added some much needed forward pressure. It is almost a neccessity to have a couple of small aboriginal players in your forwardline to help to create some pressure inside your F50.

You mean like Gia, Aker and Hahn? Why do they have to be aboriginal as long as they chase and tackle?

By the way Mofra who is Jason Fishegg?

Roe

Mofra
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
You mean like Gia, Aker and Hahn? Why do they have to be aboriginal as long as they chase and tackle?

I take his point - the strong goalsneak-tackling-X factor type forward pockets are almost always aboriginal kids.
Aker is a freak who provides all this - yet has a special relationship with the brothers.
Perhaps we should widen the group to include those of us with Greek heritage (I dips my lid to my grandmother and Zeno Tzatsaris)

Roe
Yup - heard someone yell it out at a pub

Dry Rot
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Great preview Mofra. Lots of good contests there with Murphy v Brennan one of the best.

It's live on TV up here but I've got to go to a bloody wedding. Hope there's a tele at the reception....

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Great preview Mofra. Lots of good contests there with Murphy v Brennan one of the best.

It's live on TV up here but I've got to go to a bloody wedding. Hope there's a tele at the reception....

Unless it's your wedding I'd tell them you're sorry and give it a miss.

If it is your wedding tell her to stop being so bloody silly and put it off until October.

The Doctor
09-06-2008, 11:22 PM
If it is your wedding tell her to stop being so bloody silly and put it off until October.

that's what I did!

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2008, 12:34 AM
that's what I did!

I got married Anzac day because I knew we wouldn't be playing.

Mantis
10-06-2008, 08:42 AM

The aboriginal player's seem to have the acceleration off the mark that few other's have.

Our forward pressure has certainly improved this year without the help of an aboriginal player, but I think he could be better, a player like Harbrow or a switched on Lynch would certainly add something.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Brisbane are pretty underrated, (although starting to get some plaudits) and we should be worried imo. Bradshaw out is a big help if he doesn't pull up, which at this stage is looking to be the case.

The thing they do so well is that they have all these guys who do their jobs, and do them well. Players like Roe, who has been mentioned, and Patfull whom I saw a lot of during his time at Norwood and on the Power rookie list. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those kids given a big job on perhaps a Murphy, Johnson or Welsh.

They still have a quality on ball unit, and a few potential match winners. Their run and carry, contested ball and skill level are all pretty good, plus they can play dour football in their back half.

With Bradshaw going out, do we drop a tall or 2 and bring in some more runners?

The Doctor
10-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Jon Brown vs Brian Lake - The big one. Lake should come up with a knee whilst the pressure will be on Brown to lead the team as Bradshaw is likely to miss. Brown may try to lead up the ground to take Lake away from his goalrectangle (the natural habitat of Lakus Brawnus) and if he does so Tommygun may be switched onto him

If Brown leads up the ground I'll be very happy, especially with Bradshaw out. That would mean their best 2 forwards are not in the scoring zone.

Brown likes to lead straight or to the 2 o'clock position inside the 50m arc. He will often mark around 40 - 50m in this area meaning he has a fairly straight shot at goal or on a slight angle. This is the space we need to protect because this where Brown does most of his scoring damage. If we can do this it will take him from his comfort zone forcing to either lead wider to the boundary or to the left side which he doesn't seem to like doing.

How we protect that space will be interesting. In the old days the ruckman would drop into the hole. Perhaps we drop a few numbers back into the lead space.

aker39
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Would have loved the Lions to be at full strength for this one, because if we do get over them there will still be excuses made for them as they will be missing players, much like our win over Hawthorn.

I couldn't care less.

If our oppenents are not at full strength then I will be very happy. All it means is it will make it a little easier to beat them, which means more chance of winning, and getting closer to a top 4 position.

Mofra
10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Brown likes to lead straight or to the 2 o'clock position inside the 50m arc. He will often mark around 40 - 50m in this area meaning he has a fairly straight shot at goal or on a slight angle. This is the space we need to protect because this where Brown does most of his scoring damage. If we can do this it will take him from his comfort zone forcing to either lead wider to the boundary or to the left side which he doesn't seem to like doing.
Interesting you mention this because whenever DFA isn't glued to his man, that is pretty much where he is (often being ignored by his teamates standing by himself on the opposition turnovers).

It is also interesting because when the Saints played a man behind the ball last week, we didn't seem to have the extra man sitting in the opposition F50; we had someone who could run forward or at least provide a contest in the centre of the ground, basically followed the opposition extra backman to make them accountable.

Will be keen to see how Eade lines the boys up this week. FWIW Herald Sun have Lake in doubt which would put pressure on Tommygun to step up again in a big way.

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I would play Morris on Brennan. Once Brennan gets his tail up he can be dangerous.
Boyd to play on Simon Black.

hujsh
10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
If Brown leads up the ground I'll be very happy, especially with Bradshaw out. That would mean their best 2 forwards are not in the scoring zone.

How we protect that space will be interesting. In the old days the ruckman would drop into the hole. Perhaps we drop a few numbers back into the lead space.

There was a article in the Herald Sun that he leads to that spot so he doesn't collide with Bradshaw who leads the other way.

Maybe with Bradshaw gone he will lead to either side

Mantis
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM
I couldn't care less.

If our oppenents are not at full strength then I will be very happy. All it means is it will make it a little easier to beat them, which means more chance of winning, and getting closer to a top 4 position.

Either do I, but we will continue to get little or no respect from the scribes if we continue to beat supposedly good teams that are not full strengthed.

I suppose it makes no difference, as long as we keep winning the rest will look after itself.

aker39
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Either do I, but we will continue to get little or no respect from the scribes if we continue to beat supposedly good teams that are not full strengthed.

I suppose it makes no difference, as long as we keep winning the rest will look after itself.

I know what you are saying, but the one thing we know for sure, is our football team has got the respect of it's supporters back, and that's probably all that counts.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Whilst only Hawthorn have the better 1 & 2 tall forward combo in the AFL,

Brown and Bradshaw (gun premiership forward combination) are clearly superior to Buddy (inconsistent genius) and Roughhead (good ordinary player).

I picked Brisbane to finish second behind Geelong on the home and away ladder, and while it doesn't seem too likely now, a top four is definitely not out of the question. I think they are a real premiership chance -- every facet of their game is close to top class, with a large chunk of players who have battle hardened bodies, and are very, very consistent. Throw in genuine, match-winning, hard, professional, CONSISTENT gun forwards like Brownie and Bradshaw and you have a potent mix.

I rate them much, much higher than Hawthorn, and I believe that the season will vindicate that view. I will not be surprised to see them in a prelim or grand final, while I think Hawthorn will choke around semi-final time... out in straight sets. Hawthorn's game is not set up to win finals.

You KNOW Brisbane's is. Lethal wouldn't be fluffing around re-inventing the wheel.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Brown and Bradshaw (gun premiership forward combination) are clearly superior to Buddy (inconsistent genius) and Roughhead (good ordinary player).

Come on now. They are both are a lot better then what you are making out. In an equation B1 and B2 are better then Roughead and Franklin but I might not say that this time next year with another year under the two young guys belts.

Rocket Science
11-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Must also beg to differ re: Roughy. For mine Roughhead's a very high quality footballer in the making and I'd suggest while already a key contributor for the Hawks at both ends, isn't half as valuable as he's going to be in 2-3 years time.

However, agreed the Brown/Bradshaw combo is superior to the young Hawk duo for the time being...what's worse, Bradshaw has had a few blinders against us in days gone by.

Not sure of Bradshaw's hammy situation or Rocket's preferred match-ups but assuming Bradshaw plays, let's hope Lake's knee permits him to lace them up this week also. The prospect of Hargrave v Bradshaw doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, despite Hargy's solid recent form.

Alternately, am quite intrigued by the prospect of Williams v Brown.

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Must also beg to differ re: Roughy. For mine Roughhead's a very high quality footballer in the making and I'd suggest while already a key contributor for the Hawks at both ends, isn't half as valuable as he's going to be in 2-3 years time.

However, agreed the Brown/Bradshaw combo is superior to the young Hawk duo for the time being...what's worse, Bradshaw has had a few blinders against us in days gone by.

Not sure of Bradshaw's hammy situation or Rocket's preferred match-ups but assuming Bradshaw plays, let's hope Lake's knee permits him to lace them up this week also. The prospect of Hargrave v Bradshaw doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, despite Hargy's solid recent form.

We have to forget that Shaggy is 190cm. Pretend he's 183cm and give him a job based on that.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Come on now. They are both are a lot better then what you are making out. In an equation B1 and B2 are better then Roughead and Franklin but I might not say that this time next year with another year under the two young guys belts.

hmm, maybe 'good ordinary player' wasn't quite what I meant... just pointing out that he isn't quite in the class of the other three. For what it's worth, I've got all four of them in my supercoach team.

Roughie is a very good contested mark and dependable kick, but he's (thus far) a one-trick pony without a huge engine. Can definitely be closed out of a game by a good backman. Bradshaw, on the other hand, is a very smart, crafty player who brings a lot more to the game than just his brawn. One out I would be backing Bradshaw, but having said that, like you've pointed out, Jarred has plenty of time to improve.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
We have to forget that Shaggy is 190cm. Pretend he's 183cm and give him a job based on that.

That's it!

Also, forget that he's a defender and pretend he's a wingman. He's wasted down there and keeps forgetting that putting your hand over a bloke's shoulder is a high tackle.

1eyedog
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM

Morris will play on him if Lake doesn't come up

1eyedog
11-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Hello all, can anyone please tell me the deal with seating at the G this weekend? I only usually go to the Dome and have my seat there but considering it is a home game do our memberships just get us in and go and find a spot outside the members area or what? Thanks.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 05:08 PM
It won't be a full house so there are usually two big blocks of Dogs supporters on the bottom level. Just keep your eye out for the areas. You do not have a 'reserved seat' as such but you get to sit in areas that the general public don't have access to.

dog town
11-06-2008, 06:52 PM
That's it!

Also, forget that he's a defender and pretend he's a wingman. He's wasted down there and keeps forgetting that putting your hand over a bloke's shoulder is a high tackle. How is he wasted? He has been in our best players 4 of the last 5 weeks and continually nullifes the oppositions best small forwards.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Propensity to give away unnecessary free kicks when he's already won the contest hurts more closer to goal. Not as much of an issue against softer or inaccurate sides but your Geelongs will exploit this and I would hate to lose a final because of a soft, unnecessary free-kick.

With Everitt and Tim Callan coming back into the side, one could argue Ryan is surplus to requirements down back, but his engine, physicality and speed will be value on the wing -- as you've said, dt, he has been used as a negative element to shut down small forwards, but I think he has the game to hurt sides, and that side of his game is 'wasted' in a primarily negating role.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Propensity to give away unnecessary free kicks when he's already won the contest hurts more closer to goal. Not as much of an issue against softer or inaccurate sides but your Geelongs will exploit this and I would hate to lose a final because of a soft, unnecessary free-kick.

With Everitt and Tim Callan coming back into the side, one could argue Ryan is surplus to requirements down back, but his engine, physicality and speed will be value on the wing -- as you've said, dt, he has been used as a negative element to shut down small forwards, but I think he has the game to hurt sides, and that side of his game is 'wasted' in a primarily negating role.

Hargrave had a crack on the wing during the pre-season. It wasn't pretty. It's taken him this long to learn how to play half back flank and does seem to be improving each year. I'd rather see Callan, Hill, Higgins, Ray, O'Keefe, Eagleton, Addison, Gilbee, Everitt, Ward on the wing before Shaggy...and i've left out a lot of the obvious guys like Cross, Boyd, Johnson, Akermanis ect ect

Mofra
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM

I have to disagree. Buddy & Roughy have been more consistent this year than Brown & Bradshaw.

Buddy: 59 goals 38 behinds 75 marks 174 disposals
Brown: 36 goals 24 behinds 82 marks 147 disposals

Roughead: 35 goals 22 behinds 58 marks 129 disposals
Bradshaw: 43 goals 17 behinds 55 marks 111 disposals

Combined: 94 goals (154 scoring shots) vs 79 goals (120 scoring shots)
133 marks vs 137 marks
301 disposals vs 258 disposals

Hawks 190 goals 150 behinds
Brisbane 170 goals 171 behinds

Buddy & Roughead had 45.3% of Hawthorn's scoring shots (49.5% of team goals)
Brown & Bradshaw had 35.2% of Brisbane's scoring shots (46.5% of team goals)

As much as the loss of Bradshaw will hurt the Lions, we have already beaten the team with the best 1&2 combo in the AFL - and we beat them with both Buddy & Roughy playing

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
But those stats are from a season only 11 games old, where Hawthorn have had a pretty soft draw up to now, and Brisbane have already played six of the eight teams currently in the top half, and play us this week. Surely a clearer picture would be their average stats over the past few years, and respective accolades and accomplishments. For all the hype, Hawthorn have won f-all, while B1 and B2 are multiple premiership winners.

The fact that Budd and Rough have a higher percentage of scoring shots is to me more an indictment of Hawthorn's game style and their non-scoring midfield, while Brisbane has far more avenues to goal through their midfield and small forwards.

Mantis
12-06-2008, 08:45 AM
But those stats are from a season only 11 games old, where Hawthorn have had a pretty soft draw up to now, and Brisbane have already played six of the eight teams currently in the top half, and play us this week. Surely a clearer picture would be their average stats over the past few years, and respective accolades and accomplishments. For all the hype, Hawthorn have won f-all, while B1 and B2 are multiple premiership winners.

The fact that Budd and Rough have a higher percentage of scoring shots is to me more an indictment of Hawthorn's game style and their non-scoring midfield, while Brisbane has far more avenues to goal through their midfield and small forwards.

Doesn't help when there 2 talls are 21 years old (or thereabouts).

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Great writeup Mofra!!!!! Very accurate on both teams.

From a lions perspective;

There have been two main reasons for their improvement this year. Firstly and most obvious is their two pronged attack, this frees up Brown to not get triple teamed, while it also gives Bradshaw more space who currently has the best usage of the ball (yes, higher than Murphy).

Secondly is their defence, Drummond, Patful and Macdonald (all through the rookie list) and Roe. They have only been able to go up a knotch in their level of play over the past month due to these players being fit and in the team. I can't speak highly enough of Drummond who plays like a 100+ gamer but has only 37 to his name.

So unless at least three out of the four play, unfortunately I can't see the lions getting a win...
Drummond (who is likely to play), Roe, Bradshaw and McGrath

Great forum

craigsahibee
12-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello all, can anyone please tell me the deal with seating at the G this weekend? I only usually go to the Dome and have my seat there but considering it is a home game do our memberships just get us in and go and find a spot outside the members area or what? Thanks.

All reserved seat holders can sit in bays M10 - M16 (i think) ground level.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm prepared to heap all the accolades on the two Hawthorn boys when they've achieved something with their clubs, but until now, they are very, very good players who haven't yet achieved much. We love to pump teams and players up after a bit of form, but plenty of teams and players have flattered to deceive and made the media and punters look stupid after over-rating them too quickly (and clubs too, offering 5 year contracts on the back of a fabulous 10 weeks only to have the investment bite them in the butt a year or two down the track).

True greatness is measured over time and achievements, not in a matter of weeks and a few bags of goals. There are a few players running around in the VFL struggling to crack a game (can think of one or two down at Melbourne) who, just a couple of seasons ago, were touted as some of the best players to ever play for their club.

Topdog
12-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Great writeup Mofra!!!!! Very accurate on both teams.

From a lions perspective;

There have been two main reasons for their improvement this year. Firstly and most obvious is their two pronged attack, this frees up Brown to not get triple teamed, while it also gives Bradshaw more space who currently has the best usage of the ball (yes, higher than Murphy).

Secondly is their defence, Drummond, Patful and Macdonald (all through the rookie list) and Roe. They have only been able to go up a knotch in their level of play over the past month due to these players being fit and in the team. I can't speak highly enough of Drummond who plays like a 100+ gamer but has only 37 to his name.

So unless at least three out of the four play, unfortunately I can't see the lions getting a win...
Drummond (who is likely to play), Roe, Bradshaw and McGrath

Great forum

Thanks and welcome to the site.

Drummond is 1 guy for the Lions who really impresses me.

What has happened to Brennan this year? He seemed to really come on in bits last year but I haven't heard too much about him this year.

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 11:49 AM

What has happened to Brennan this year? He seemed to really come on in bits last year but I haven't heard too much about him this year.

He still shows his brilliance every week but has started off the bench alot and also played more in defence and at times in the middle and forward. Obviously from that discription can play anywhere, a great utility player, just hasn't found his specialised spot. Reminds me a bit of Darryl White extremely talented but struggled for consistency for many early seasons. Brennan shows skills nobody has show before. His highlight reel would be the best of any player but rarely dominates a whole game.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Played mostly in defence this year, his flair has been good in creating an 'out' from half back, and seems to be more responsible when given a job to do.

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Drummond is so important for Brisbane's success. With him out the lions defence can leak a lot more goals. Illustrated perfectly in round 2 against Collingwood. Brisbane up by 3 goals halfway through the third quarter and collingwood struggling to get it effectively into their forward line, he goes off injured (was out until round 8) and collingwood kicks the next 5 goals to go into the last quarter in front.
Coincidently enough he comes back into the team in round 8 and they haven't lost another game.

It would be great to have our best side in against Geelong, Hawthorn or Doggies to see how they perform but unfortunately there were a number of injuries to key players against the first two teams, and possibly against the doggies too.

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 12:29 PM
There has also been some people putting some serious money on the Dogs to beat the Lions...

$10,000 @ $1.55 ON WESTERN BULLDOGS V BRISBANE
$6,900 @ $1.55 ON WESTERN BULLDOGS V BRISBANE
$5,000 @ $1.50 ON WESTERN BULLDOGS V BRISBANE

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Cant wait for this game, its gunna be a close one for sure.

I think Brisbane can step up easily with Bradshaw gone, Hooper & Brennan are capable of kicking 5 or 6 on a good day supporting Browny.

I'll end up sitting behind the goals like front row, best position except when the ball is up the other end..but then again, sitting M10-16 on the wing with doggies supporters is another option

Mofra
12-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Howdy,

I am only using this year's stats as that is what determines their current form (for argumebnts sake, consider Gehrig who is a multiple Coleman medalist, however his form this year isn't as strong). Hawks may have had a softer draw, but Brisbane haven't yet played us (arguably the form team of the comp) either ;)

As for multiple scoring options, I'd agree with you in terms of the Brisbane defenders being more attacking, however Hawks still have a greater number of goals scored (although that in itself may be due to playing Melborune twice already) so the midfields could be considered roughly on par.

Scorlibo
12-06-2008, 07:25 PM
This is a big game for the dogs with all three top teams playing high quality opposition:

Geelong v Port Adelaide at Kardinia Park
Hawthorn v Adelaide at Football Park

Port have shown that they are one team who can cause the Cats a lot of trouble and obviously Adelaide is a quality side, especially in Adelaide. I think there is a strong chance of one of the Hawks and Geelong getting beaten and a very strong chance of one of the top three getting beaten.

Mantis
12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
With Drummond back into the team for the Lions who will he pick up? We need to make sure his opponent plays tight on the rebound as Drummond is a very good distributor of the ball.

hujsh
12-06-2008, 09:00 PM
With Drummond back into the team for the Lions who will he pick up? We need to make sure his opponent plays tight on the rebound as Drummond is a very good distributor of the ball.

I'd have said Tiller but he's out

Topdog
12-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Port have shown that they are one team who can cause the Cats a lot of trouble .

Is this intended as a joke?

hujsh
12-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Is this intended as a joke?

Ha yeah...

although they did win at skilled and almost won round 1

lion in the midst
13-06-2008, 10:15 AM
With Bradshaw the only notable exclusion from the Lions it gives them a good shot. Dogs obviously deserve to be favourite but it should be a very competitive game. Both teams highly skilled, both fast, I can't wait.

The lions defence is back in their preferred positions, with Roe and Drummond back, without them I held little hope. McGrath will probably be pick up a small pacey forward.

Mantis
13-06-2008, 11:54 AM
With Bradshaw the only notable exclusion from the Lions it gives them a good shot. Dogs obviously deserve to be favourite but it should be a very competitive game. Both teams highly skilled, both fast, I can't wait.

The lions defence is back in their preferred positions, with Roe and Drummond back, without them I held little hope. McGrath will probably be pick up a small pacey forward.

Akermanis??

lion in the midst
13-06-2008, 12:11 PM
IMO Aker is too strong for him but we'll see

Mantis
13-06-2008, 01:16 PM
IMO Aker is too strong for him but we'll see

We don't have many other small pacey forwards for him to pick up then, possibly Gia.

lion in the midst
13-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah I was looking at the team lineup and there no suitable matchup in the Dogs forward line, certainly suit Gia.

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Too right we do and I think it will be a competitive game for maybe two quarters, but I think we'll win quite easily. I may be made to eat my words, but the Lions at the G, no Bradshaw and some other Lions a bit underdone, Dogs by well over 30 points IMO.

lion in the midst
13-06-2008, 04:38 PM
We don't have many other small pacey forwards for him to pick up then, possibly Gia.

Troy Selwood looks the likely one to line up on Aker

lion in the midst
13-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Too right we do and I think it will be a competitive game for maybe two quarters, but I think we'll win quite easily. I may be made to eat my words, but the Lions at the G, no Bradshaw and some other Lions a bit underdone, Dogs by well over 30 points IMO.

Looking at it unbiased (which isn't always easy for me to do) I see a dogs win but certainly not by more than 30 points. I think 15 points will be more on the mark.

Now looking at it with one eye I see a lions victory by over 30 points :)

Rach
13-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm so glad this game is being played live in Sydney. Gonna be a great game! Good to have Murph back in the side, we missed him last week.

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Looking at it unbiased (which isn't always easy for me to do) I see a dogs win but certainly not by more than 30 points. I think 15 points will be more on the mark.

Now looking at it with one eye I see a lions victory by over 30 points :)

:D Yeah that's my avatar for a reason, however, Brisbane has won the past 4, the first of which was against Carlton at the Dome when they were not traveling well at all. The other 3 wins have been all at home. I think they'll be in for a nasty surprise when they meet us tomorrow. The Lions have not played at the G this year and I think they are suspect against quality opposition away from home. I'll get back to this thread after I get home tomorrow, but If we don't win this game by more than 30 points I'll eat my scarf. The only team Brisbane has beat away from home this season is Carlton.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not taking this game as a given. But what does give me confidence is that Voss has been talking us up over the past couple of weeks as the real deal. He has picked us over the Lions.

Sockeye Salmon
13-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not taking this game as a given. But what does give me confidence is that Voss has been talking us up over the past couple of weeks as the real deal. He has picked us over the Lions.

Voss is a first rate moron.Nothing he could say would influence me about anything.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 10:35 PM
He has picked us over the Lions.

He...what?

1eyedog
14-06-2008, 07:41 PM
:D Yeah that's my avatar for a reason, however, Brisbane has won the past 4, the first of which was against Carlton at the Dome when they were not traveling well at all. The other 3 wins have been all at home. I think they'll be in for a nasty surprise when they meet us tomorrow. The Lions have not played at the G this year and I think they are suspect against quality opposition away from home. I'll get back to this thread after I get home tomorrow, but If we don't win this game by more than 30 points I'll eat my scarf. The only team Brisbane has beat away from home this season is Carlton.

I told you so, Brisbane were never in the hunt, starting from last Monday IMO:)

G-Mo77
14-06-2008, 08:21 PM
So when is the replay of this one?

Had I known I would have stood out on the football field and copped an 80 point hiding I would have gone to the G today.