View Full Version : Higgins!!!

brilliantgriffen
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Great news!!

Bulldogs prepare for Higgins boost
RSSFont downFont largerPrintBy Jennifer Witham
4:05 PM Wed 11 June, 2008

Western Bulldog Shaun Higgins will play a role before 2008 closes

THE IN-FORM Western Bulldogs could have injured forward Shaun Higgins available earlier than expected, with the youngster taking significant strides on the sidelines.

The 20-year-old dislocated and fractured his ankle, tore several ligaments and damaged bone and cartilage when he landed awkwardly against Melbourne in round two.

He had a full reconstruction, which has a usual lay-off of around four months.

But, after a balanced rehabilitation schedule and a strong internal motivation to get back into the senior side before the finals, Higgins looks like returning to competition a week early.

"The idea is to play round 15 down at Williamstown, which will be the weekend after the bye in the AFL," Higgins told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"If all goes to plan, maybe even play the week of the bye. Then, I'll play a few games there and see how it feels, and hopefully I'll get a kick.

"Once I got back here [after the operation], I made a conscious effort to be positive around the boys and get stuck into training, and really push myself and try and get back quickly.

"So far, it's been working."

Higgins has played 27 games for the Bulldogs since being drafted with selection No. 11 in the 2005 NAB AFL Draft.

His first season at the club was ruined by an elbow injury, which robbed him of the final 11 games of the year.

Last year, he kicked 26 goals from 20 games and earned an NAB AFL Rising Star nomination – as well as a Brownlow vote – for his performance against Collingwood in round eight.

The Underdog
11-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Damn, thought this was a thread about the guy from Magnum PI. Still good news for young Shaun. It'll be good to have him up and running in time for the finals.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Good news indeed.

Also SEN reported that West will resume after the break and Eade said there was no rush to bring him back to the team, but when hes ready they will welcome him with open arms.

bornadog
11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Johnno just said on 3AW than Higins will be back round 16/17. Lets hope it is earlier.

bulldog
11-06-2008, 07:52 PM
he will be the x factor in the lead up to the finals

Go_Dogs
11-06-2008, 07:57 PM
he will be the x factor in the lead up to the finals

Yes, could well prove to be a very handy forward option in the finals.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Wonerfull news. This means that he should be back just in time for our game against Geelong.

BulldogBelle
11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Great news!!

Hopefully gets up and fireing quickly.

hujsh
11-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Will he get a game.

Stupid question as the players view him as a part of the best 22 but who's spot does he take up forward?

Bulldog Revolution
12-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Will he get a game.

Stupid question as the players view him as a part of the best 22 but who's spot does he take up forward?

Form and Fitness will determine how he goes. He will have missed a fair bit of footy so I guess it depends on how he is moving and whether he is able to put enough pressure on in the forward line. Regardless it will be good to have him back, and a VFL finals campaign would not be the worst way to keep him improving

Mofra
12-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Will he get a game.

Currently, he'd be ahead of Tiller & Ward. At times last year he played the link option for the defenders to kick to - fair bit of responsibility for a young kid. I think his overhead ability is underrated.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Sensational news in what has been a great year so far for the Doggies. I'm really impressed with his balance, he rarely (very at that) loses his feet, much like Robert Harvey. The only query on him is his defensive skills, apart from that, Good Luck Lad.

Dancin' Douggy
13-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm just so impressed with the list these days. It's hard to whittle them down to a best 22.
Higgins is obviously a talent but as a small forward is he gonna replace Aker, Johnno, Murph or Welsh or Gia? as a mid would he replace Cooney, Griff, cross or Boyd? Great problem to have.

hujsh
13-06-2008, 08:23 PM
C: Daniel Giansiracusa, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Robert Murphy
F: Scott Welsh, Will Minson, Jason Akermanis
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
I/C: Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Farren Ray, West

That is our current team (with West in Ward's spot) who's spot could Higgins take if he was fit right now?

He would play because were likely to never have a full middle/forwardline but who's could he take in a full side