PDA

View Full Version : Our next captain

1eyedog
11-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I am not ready to sweep Johnno out the door and hope he plays on for at least two more years, but after the great man completes his tour of duty, who will be our next captain and why? I often feel that a captain is just someone who points the way his team is kicking and is the first player to hold up the Premiership cup after a Grand Final win, however, I heard a radio personality discussing Higgins' comeback and talking about him as captain material and it got me thinking. Surely Higgins is 2nd in line to the throne and he's only played 26 games. If Johnno plays for two more years Higgins would be lucky to have played 80 games. That would mean a current 100+ player will be in line post-Johnno. My pick would be Cooney, he has stated his desire to be a one club player, his exploits on the field lead by example and I believe he is respected off the field as well. Who else do you think is captain material in our line up?

The Coon Dog
11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Robert Murphy or Daniel Giansiracusa for me. I'd be happy with either.

bulldogsman
11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm saying Gia because Gia gave Ward the jumper instead of johnno. Is this normal or is it a sign of whats about to happen?

What about Cross and Boyd?

BulldogBelle
11-06-2008, 09:16 PM
My pick would be Cooney, he has stated his desire to be a one club player, his exploits on the field lead by example and I believe he is respected off the field as well.

Good thread 1eyeddog,

When the day comes and Johnno relinquishes the captaincy - my choice would be Adam Cooney or Daniel Cross both would be extremely deserving to become captains.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Murphy for me. He has the profile, presents himself well, and loves the bulldogs.

Next pick after Murphy would be Boyd - not sure why, but I prefer him over Cross and Gia.

bulldog
11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
gia is very highly rated so i think he will get id love to see crossy get it

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I can remember Gia being given the job as captain for a few pre season games a couple of years ago, so I would say that he is being considered the next captain by the club.

BulldogBelle
11-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Cooney or Gia would be happy with either.

They say Gia has has great leadership skills.

l suppose we will all have to wait and see.

Maybe we could put this thread away and drag it out at the right time and see how we have gone.

1eyedog
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Gia? That's very interesting as I would not have suspected that, clearly he is held in high regard at the club but his form can be up and down. I can understand Murph, he is just such a great player. In saying this, should the best player in the team be captain? Judd at Carlton, Riewoldt at St. Kilda seem to me to be, well you are the best player here so you're captain whereas Geelong have gone with Harley, clearly not the best player. Gia is not the best player in our team so that is interesting. There was a thread going a while back about what type of person should be captain, great players on the field or great blokes off the field, courage on the field or skill etc...

hujsh
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Gia is always one mentioned by those who know.

Most people go for the better workers and performers (egCross) but the club must see something in Gia they must not see in others

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Id love to see Co-Captains Cooney & Cross

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Griffen is clearly a future captain.

Gilbee would be a very highly respected captain, but he's probably a bit too quiet and unaccountable at times.

wimberga
12-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Would love to see one of Morris or Boyd captain, would be a great story.

Remember westy on radio being asked who might be the next captain and from memory i think he mentioned Gilbee and Higgins

craigsahibee
12-06-2008, 09:19 AM
If Mitch Hahn was 2 or 3 years younger, I think he would be a great choice. Cooney does seem to be the next best choice. He has matured greatly over the last couple of years and with Griff as his VC our future would be in great hands.

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 10:01 AM
If Mitch Hahn was 2 or 3 years younger, I think he would be a great choice. Cooney does seem to be the next best choice. He has matured greatly over the last couple of years and with Griff as his VC our future would be in great hands.

Agreed, Mitch would be a great captain. I would be very happy with Cooney as captain and Griffen as VC. You are right when you say they are the future of the club, we need to keep them there and that would be a good reward and incentive for them to stay. What about Cooney and Griff as co-captains? Does anyone notice how Cooney and Griffen look for each other on the field? I often see Cooney hit a running Griffen, absolutely magic, these two obviously have a good friendship and understanding on the field, both S.A boys why not make them co-captains?

DOG GOD
12-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I think Gia will be the next capt, followed by griff.

Desipura
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Interesting re Gia. Do you think he is a leader of men? With all respect to Gia, I see him more of an opportunist type player who finishes off well. I cannot recall that type of player captaining a side.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I know it has often been said that Murphy stated he never wanted the captaincy, but I get the feeling as he's matured, and continues to do so, he'll become more interested in being a genuine leader of the club. It'll be interesting to see whether or not he does throw his name in the hat.

To me a lot of it depends on how long Johnno stays around and how long he wants to hold the captaincy. If he's going to play for another 2 years beyond this one perhaps in his last year he'll choose to relinquish the captaincy to someone else whilst he's still on board to help lead the way. At this stage you wouldn't think a Cooney or Griff are quite ready for captaincy, but over the next few years they could be.

The other names would be Gia, Crossy and even Boydy I imagine at this stage.

Ozza
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
The way Scott West was talking on radio before our round 6 game - when asked who would take the reigns as captain after Jonno - It seemed a mere formality that Gia would be the next captain.

He never hesitated for an instant and didn't suggest anyone else.

He mentioned Higgins as a future leader - but really stamped Gia down as the next captain so I think that speak volumes.

Scorlibo
12-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Great thread, 1eye. I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately and I just can't go past Crossy. Passionate and hardworking off the field, courageous and determined on it. Still only 24/25 I think, will probably be 27/28 by the time Johnno retires and thats a fairly good age to become captain IMO. Gia obviously has a very strong presencez around the club but his playing style has always been a bit of a pinch hitter, opportunist around goals who can work through the midfield occasionally and on the field that sort of playing style doesn't match inspirational playing style of Crossy.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Won me over, Scorlibo. Crossy for mine, and Coon and Griff in the wings.

Crizza
12-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Cooney for me; his on field leadership is growing, but for me it is his off field leadership that gets the nod. He is a mature young example to the community. The way he has established himself off field with his family and his business pursuits speaks volumes for the type of character that he is; and he is someone i want to be captain of our club.

Sockeye Salmon
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Does anyone notice how Cooney and Griffen look for each other on the field? I often see Cooney hit a running Griffen, absolutely magic, these two obviously have a good friendship and understanding on the field, both S.A boys why not make them co-captains?

They would be the new Johnno & Bubba, except that Johnno and Aker have become the new Johnno & Bubba.

I laugh when opposition supporters come out with claims like "all Aker's team-mates hate him they won't pass to him, like Johnno last year and again v North". I reckon about half of Johnno's touches this year have been to Aker. Against Melbourne they were both standing in the goalsquare and Johnno still handballed to Aker.

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 03:22 PM
They would be the new Johnno & Bubba, except that Johnno and Aker have become the new Johnno & Bubba.

I laugh when opposition supporters come out with claims like "all Aker's team-mates hate him they won't pass to him, like Johnno last year and again v North". I reckon about half of Johnno's touches this year have been to Aker. Against Melbourne they were both standing in the goalsquare and Johnno still handballed to Aker.

Yep, good observation. I stated that Cooney and Griff always seem to link up but you right, Johnno always seems to look for Aker when kicking into F50 and why wouldn't you? The only time Johnno hasn't passed the ball to Aker i.e the North game is when Johnno truly believes he can kick the goal IMO. Just look at the back page of the Hun after the Hawks win, Johnno and Aker arm in arm. They are working in tandem beautifully.

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Great thread, 1eye. I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately and I just can't go past Crossy. Passionate and hardworking off the field, courageous and determined on it. Still only 24/25 I think, will probably be 27/28 by the time Johnno retires and thats a fairly good age to become captain IMO. Gia obviously has a very strong presencez around the club but his playing style has always been a bit of a pinch hitter, opportunist around goals who can work through the midfield occasionally and on the field that sort of playing style doesn't match inspirational playing style of Crossy.

Yep interesting, I hadn't thought about Crossy but he is obviously highly respected. I can understand Gia being made captain though he is a local boy. So you are saying that Crossy should be captain over Gia because Crossy is more inspirational? Tom Harley is hardly inspirational on the field and he's a premiership captain.

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Does there have to be only one captain? Many teams now just have a senior leadership group being co-captains, Brisbane has four, Brown, Black, Lappin and Power.

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Does there have to be only one captain? Many teams now just have a senior leadership group being co-captains, Brisbane has four, Brown, Black, Lappin and Power.

Absolutely not, that's why I put Cooney and Griffen down as co-captains in an earlier post. Some just don't like the idea of co-captains however. If it works for the Lions and the Swans great, it didn't work for St. Kilda or at least not in Lyon's eyes. We are a traditionally a one captain club, I wonder if that would change for any reason....

The Coon Dog
12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I hate co-captians with a passion!

Scorlibo
12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Yep interesting, I hadn't thought about Crossy but he is obviously highly respected. I can understand Gia being made captain though he is a local boy. So you are saying that Crossy should be captain over Gia because Crossy is more inspirational? Tom Harley is hardly inspirational on the field and he's a premiership captain.

I would argue that Harley is inspirational to his team. You want the captain of the team to be able to demonstrate the fundamentals skills required to play good football, I don't mean those skills which come from natural talent such as being a beautiful kick or super quick, I mean those acquired skills such as determination, composure, courage etc. Harley does demonstrate these skills and does set an inspirational example for his team - making him a good captain.

Scorlibo
12-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Yea I'm not big on them either. I think that if each captain has a different set, and order, of values and abilities then having co-captains could create a bit of confusion and indecision within the team. But hey, the facts don't really back me up, it's worked for Sydney and its working for Brisbane! :o:)

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about co-captains. Why do you hate them so much TCD?

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I would argue that Harley is inspirational to his team. You want the captain of the team to be able to demonstrate the fundamentals skills required to play good football, I don't mean those skills which come from natural talent such as being a beautiful kick or super quick, I mean those acquired skills such as determination, composure, courage etc. Harley does demonstrate these skills and does set an inspirational example for his team - making him a good captain.

Yep good answer and fair enough.

The Coon Dog
12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about co-captains. Why do you hate them so much TCD?
It's a bit like siting on a fence. I was rapt when Rocket made a decision one way or the other re: Darcy/Johnson. To me it's like the coach doesn't know who to make as captain & doesn't want to hurt someone's feelings so he goes for the soft option, just my view, maybe I'm old fashioned.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
i would like to see Rob Murphy, Cooney or Griffen be given the job..
Gia is not consistant enough, and hes commitment to hard balls can be questioned at times.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I like Morris for the next captain - hard at it, gives his all, inspirational to team and fans alike, doesn't mind punching above his weight

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I like Morris for the next captain - hard at it, gives his all, inspirational to team and fans alike, doesn't mind punching above his weight

Now he reminds me of a Harley-type

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I think Gia, he seems to be a good on-field leader and I think he really wants the job. It's great that we have so many potential captains, and I agree that co-captains are a bad idea...just because they don't get the title of captain doesn't mean that they can't be a leader as well. I think Cross, Boyd, Murphy or Morris would make good vice captains, either one would be deserving.

hujsh
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I think Gia, he seems to be a good on-field leader and I think he really wants the job. It's great that we have so many potential captains, and I agree that co-captains are a bad idea...just because they don't get the title of captain doesn't mean that they can't be a leader as well. I think Cross, Boyd, Murphy or Morris would make good vice captains, either one would be deserving.

Aker backs that theory up. In terms of leadership he is great now that he's not so controversial and he's never been in a leadership group.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 10:14 PM
It's great that theres a number of blokes to consider who are all leaders and passionate about the club. Instead of picking the highest rated player (such as Riewoldt at Saints), i think someone with team spirit and great worth ethic. I seem to hear a lot about Gia being a leader around he club, and how Murphy is considered the "spriritual leader". Anyone out of Gia, Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Griffen or Cooney would be an excellent choice, in my opinion.

Although i like the idea of Higgins, not sure about the practicallity. Not much experience, especially finals wise, maybe not as vocal as some of the older guys?

bulldogsman
12-06-2008, 10:16 PM
What about Lake? Just throwing something up there although he has a lot of brain fades but he's getting better.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Love Crossy, but would really love to see it go to big Brian Lake....

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I'd like to see Cooney get the nod. Seeing what he can do carrying an injury and still do a pretty good job and to see what he can do when fully fit is brilliant I think he would be a good choice.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 11:24 AM
i would like to see Rob Murphy, Cooney or Griffen be given the job..
Gia is not consistant enough, and hes commitment to hard balls can be questioned at times.

Rubbish! Gia has a crack 100% of the time and has done for the past 7seasons. Has a bad reputation because of his good looks.

hujsh
13-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Rubbish! Gia has a crack 100% of the time and has done for the past 7seasons. Has a bad reputation because of his good looks.

Definitely not a problem this year

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Definitely not a problem this year

Why did he get hit by a car?:D

hujsh
13-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Why did he get hit by a car?:D

Ah:D

Took me a while to get it.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd have to go with Boydy, works as hard as anyone, gave everything just to make the list and is a great example to the younger pups about what can be acheived with commitment and hard work. Not all footballers are gifted in the skills department, some just know how and are willing to get the best out of themselves (eg. Danny Frawley, Glen as opposed to Allen Jacovich, Allen had more natural talent but if you are not committed, forget it).

Boydy the Spud Of the West.

cheers,

Jaxs :cool:

ps: if not dual captaincy Dale Morris and Boydy

1eyedog
14-06-2008, 10:46 AM
A hypothetical, if we drafted J Brown would he be our next captain? Carlton did it with Judd or does that just show a distinct lack of culture and leadership at Carlton?

Bumper Bulldogs
14-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Interesting re Gia. Do you think he is a leader of men? With all respect to Gia, I see him more of an opportunist type player who finishes off well. I cannot recall that type of player captaining a side.

Nick de Santo but that didn't last.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-06-2008, 03:17 PM
What about Lake? Just throwing something up there although he has a lot of brain fades but he's getting better.

For me lake is the man, Cross second. I think these two guys are able to handle the off field stuff and lead on game day without letting it effect their game.

I think Coon & Griff should just play football just like Ablett.

the dark horse for me would be Tom Williams - they are have huge faith in the man!

MikeSheahan
14-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Read this thread this morning and watched the match with this in mind, and I come up with Adam Cooney. The boy is all class, and I think his deputy could be Ryan Griffen. Wouldn't be bad move to appoint these two, extra insurance as I feel the Crows will come sniffing.

hujsh
14-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Read this thread this morning and watched the match with this in mind, and I come up with Adam Cooney. The boy is all class, and I think his deputy could be Ryan Griffen. Wouldn't be bad move to appoint these two, extra insurance as I feel the Crows will come sniffing.

Will help but, if like Judd, they want to go, then they'll go

1eyedog
15-06-2008, 11:06 AM

Yep I agree, we need to keep these two at the kennel at all costs. Cooney especially is pretty entrenched in Melb now, has opened a business with Lakey and has stated he wants to be a one club player.