PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward

Scorlibo
14-06-2008, 06:16 PM
First two games of Callan's career have been solid as rock. His composure and strength in the contested situation is fantastic and although his disposal skills have been good, I think we are seeing just the tip of the iceberg in that area atm. Going to be a very, very good player :).

Big Will
14-06-2008, 07:03 PM
He is awesome! I especially love his attack on the footy, not afraid to run back with the flight of the ball or get in and under and do the hard work for his team mates :)

Topdog
14-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Brilliant for a young player. Just looks like he is going to be a gun. The ball seems to follow him around at times.

Mofra
14-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Backed into thw path of oncoming opponents a few times today, and manages to dispose of the ball in heavy traffic fairly cleanly as well. How'd this kid last until the second round?

Thank you Greg Miller :)

Topdog
14-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Loved his goal too. Great composure and able to get a clean kick under heavy pressure.

bulldog
14-06-2008, 07:52 PM
wot a player we have got on our hands here this kid is a future captain for the club by the wat thanks jordy for going to the tiges

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Very impressive; his ability to win the footy in a contested situation is fantastic. Skills and decision making are good, as are his courage and marking. He has all the tools to be a very, very good footballer.

Only thing I would say to him is to keep a closer check of his man, a couple of times he lost sight of where his man was jogging and they got a few cheap kicks. Nothing that won't be learnt with time though.

He's a really impressive kid, the way he goes about his footy is great, couldn't ask for anything more.

What were his stats?

At Pick 19 he looks a damn steal.

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Call was great today..

Loved his two high kicks that lead to goals, could call them shots aswell, either way they were good kicks.

Great pressure and did plenty of good things, deserves a rising star award for sure

hujsh
14-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Was good in the 1st especially but what i loved was his sheperd after passing the ball in the 1st. Just showed he had that awareness to block for teammates

Saw a senior player not do it in the same situation later.

Scorlibo
14-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Very impressive; his ability to win the footy in a contested situation is fantastic. Skills and decision making are good, as are his courage and marking. He has all the tools to be a very, very good footballer.

Only thing I would say to him is to keep a closer check of his man, a couple of times he lost sight of where his man was jogging and they got a few cheap kicks. Nothing that won't be learnt with time though.

He's a really impressive kid, the way he goes about his footy is great, couldn't ask for anything more.

What were his stats?

At Pick 19 he looks a damn steal.

6 Kicks 10 Handballs (16 Disposals) 2 Marks (winning his own ball, the two marks were very strong as well) 3 Tackles 1 Goal.

Will be interesting to see how many of his touches were contested in the Hun tomorrow, seemed like they all were!

I Would like to see him find the ball a bit more in open space as well just to show his good disposal, I dont think he has taken much of a run yet but I'm sure we will see more in coming weeks. I was pretty angry at the umpire to bring the ball back to Aker for the free kick when Callan was away, about to gather the ball and run inside fifty. What happenned to the advantage rule?? Happened to us with Gia as well.

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I really hope that he receives the rising star nomination this week, he deserve it. I know it is early days but I think that the Jordan Mcmahon trade will definately benefit the bulldogs more in the long run.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I really hope that he receives the rising star nomination this week, he deserve it. I know it is erly days but I think that the Jordan Mcmahon trade will definately benefit the bulldogs more in the long run.

Funny, I was at a dinner with a number of posters from WOOF prior to Christmas & said to Rocket that 'I think in 10 years time we'll be way infront over the Jordan McMahon trade'.

He looked incredulous & said 'By the end of this season we'll be well infront!'

G-Mo77
14-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Murphy really talked him up last week in the half time break on 7. Said he would be a 200 gamer at the Bulldogs

craigsahibee
14-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Very composed on 3LO after the game also. We have something very special here.

hujsh
14-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Funny, I was at a dinner with a number of posters from WOOF prior to Christmas & said to Rocket that 'I think in 10 years time we'll be way infront over the Jordan McMahon trade'.

He looked incredulous & said 'By the end of this season we'll be well infront!'

It sounds to me like Rocket is a poster on this site.

katemeehan
14-06-2008, 09:08 PM
People around us at the game today were saying how similar he is to Chris Grant at the early stages, how much you can tell theyre going to be a star & all.

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Has composure and footy smarts well beyond his years.

Very nice recruiting.

bornadog
14-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Heard his Metro coach say that, he is even surprised how composed he is, Did some verey couragous stuff today and must be in contention for rising star.

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Definately doesn't look like a 2nd game player!
Future looks very bright, its going to be exciting.
Thank YOU, Jordan McMahon :D

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 10:25 AM
within 5 years Cal will be the "bees-knees" of our club. Mark my words.

ABSOLUTE SUPERSTAR in the making.

And most importantly, there's NO ego with him from what i've heard. :)

LostDog
15-06-2008, 02:54 PM
There was no second thought when i threw his body in for a huge tackle, rattled him a bit but he got back up and showed no pain. This kid could be a next 300 gamer with him being the youngest in the comp.
Higgins and Westy coming back wow i havent felt so good about our chances for a long time.

Whats Happening with Jarrod Grant he must be spewing that he missed his chance in the pre-season
id be hunting that stinga down. lol

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2008, 02:56 PM
There was no second thought when i threw his body in for a huge tackle, rattled him a bit but he got back up and showed no pain. This kid could be a next 300 gamer with him being the youngest in the comp.
Higgins and Westy coming back wow i havent felt so good about our chances for a long time.

Whats Happening with Jarrod Grant he must be spewing that he missed his chance in the pre-season
id be hunting that stinga down. lol

OP.

I wouldn't be expecting too much from Grant this year.

LostDog
15-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Just hope that Granty doesnt turn out to be another dud

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Time will tell i guess.

GVGjr
15-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Why even suggest it? No one actually wants any player drafted with an early selection to be a dud and there is nothing to suggest that Grant will be.

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 03:55 PM
What is it with Ward and one long sock and one short sock?

You'd reckon his Mum would pack two of the same for him.

The Coon Dog
16-06-2008, 04:17 PM
What is it with Ward and one long sock and one short sock?

You'd reckon his Mum would pack two of the same for him.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2564/scan0003pj4.jpg

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 04:23 PM
If he turns out being half as good as Bill Gunn I can live with it.

Dry Rot
17-06-2008, 12:33 AM
We're lucky there isn't a grandfather and grandson rule....

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 12:47 AM
If he turns out being half as good as Bill Gunn I can live with it.

I remember his son his son Ramon when I was at Footscray High.

I can remember Greg Ward at Yarraville too-he had thick curly hair and was very tall.

mjp
17-06-2008, 12:57 AM
I remember his son his son Ramon when I was at Footscray High.

I can remember Greg Ward at Yarraville too-he had thick curly hair and was very tall.

I don't reckon his dad (Greg) is much taller than me, TD.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 03:32 AM
I don't reckon his dad (Greg) is much taller than me, TD.

Keep in mind I was maybe 13 at the time and evryone towered over me. I grew nearly 30 centremetres when I was 15 so I was in the little runt category before that.

Sockeye Salmon
17-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Keep in mind I was maybe 13 at the time and evryone towered over me. I grew nearly 30 centremetres when I was 15 so I was in the little runt category before that.

And now you're 6' 4"?

Sockeye Salmon
17-06-2008, 10:18 AM
We're lucky there isn't a grandfather and grandson rule....

On the positive side, we would pick up Ryan O'Keefe, Jake Edwards, Shane O'Bree and that Gilmour bloke from Freo who's not very good.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 01:19 PM
And now you're 6' 4"?

In my mind I'm tall.