PDA

View Full Version : Top 4

The Coon Dog
14-06-2008, 08:02 PM
The way the season's shaping so far, it looks like we will make the top 4.

With us challenging Geelong & Hawthorn for 3 of those spots & the likliehood 4 to go to one of Sydney, Adelaide or Collingwood, it will mean in all likliehood that where you finish in the top 3 is somewhat irrelevant.

In past seasons it could be the difference between a home or interstate final. This year it looks likely that we'll play our first final in Melbourne (unless the unthinkable happens & Sydney or Adelaide finish 2nd).

Thoughts?

Topdog
14-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah Melbourne sides will dominate the top 8 and most finals will be played here. Personally I can't see Adelaide maintaining it and think they will come 6th or 7th.

Not sure what Sydney and Collingwood will do for the rest of the year. IMO it is between them 2 for 4th.

hujsh
14-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Remember the doom and gloom surrounding the Victorian on field future?

Funny that the papers got so carried away.

MikeSheahan
14-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Lock in third, at worst, for the Bullies. Swans to tip the Crows for fourth I feel.

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Hawks are top because of the softest draw on record. They will fade, and fade badly -- the signs are all there. They have peaked for the year (probably in Round 5), and they will drop. I will not be at all surprised if Collingwood and Sydney both sneak into the top 4 at their expense.

Dogs are a genuine chance to finish top in the home and away and are a monty for the GF at least.

Dry Rot
14-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Remember the doom and gloom surrounding [B]the Victorian[?b] on field future?

Funny that the papers got so carried away.

What does the "A" in AFL stand for?

Who cares if we are going well?

hujsh
14-06-2008, 11:33 PM

When you say we it should be referring to the dogs.:p

Well when 10 of 16 are Victorian clubs and none have won a granny for 6 years a few shift in their chairs.

Dry Rot
14-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Well when 10 of 16 are Victorian clubs and you've not won a granny for 6 years a few shift in their chairs.

I'm confused - we haven't won a GF for 54 years.

You say 6 years?

hujsh
14-06-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm confused - we haven't won a GF for 54 years.

You say 6 years?

Now I'm confused. No Vics won for 6 years and got the public unhappy.

Or is it because i said "you've"

Dry Rot
15-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Now I'm confused. No Vics won for 6 years and got the Victorian public unhappy.

Or is it because i said "you've"

Corrected for accuracy.

With the AFL, who cares what the Victorian public thinks?

hujsh
15-06-2008, 12:26 AM
With the AFL, who cares what the Victorian public thinks?

Who said it was an AFL problem? We Vics just thought it was bs that not one of our clubs could make the top 4. Hence the "our sorry state" articles in the Herald Sun.

No one cares about what Victoria thinks just like no one cares about what NSW thinks.

Dry Rot
15-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Who said it was an AFL problem? We Vics just thought it was bs that not one of our clubs could make the top 4. Hence the "our sorry state" articles in the Herald Sun.

No one cares about what Victoria thinks just like no one cares about what NSW thinks.

What an odd post for a Dogs fan.

You should surely want us finish top 4, with the rest of the top 7 being non-Vic teams, would you not?

You and all Dogs fans should very carefully care about what NSW and Qld thinks, shouldn't you?

wb_age
15-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Hypothetically, if the top 4 are all Victorian Clubs and the remainder of the clubs are interstate.
Where will the loser of the first round have to play, home final even though they've lost they're first?

The Coon Dog
15-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Hypothetically, if the top 4 are all Victorian Clubs and the remainder of the clubs are interstate.
Where will the loser of the first round have to play, home final even though they've lost they're first?

Yes, the losers of 1v4 & 2v3 play the winners of 5v8 & 6v7 with the losers hosting the clashes in the 2nd week of the finals.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 09:20 AM

You should surely want us finish top 4, with the rest of the top 7 being non-Vic teams, would you not?

You and all Dogs fans should very carefully care about what NSW and Qld thinks, shouldn't you?

No I'd rather the rest of the top 8 being Victorian based sides so that we don't have to play a real away game.

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm not convinced we will DEFINATELY finish top 4. I see C'wood and Syd as major dangers, especially with c'woods easy draw AGAIN!!!

I think adel will fall off the pace a bit, so i see hawks, cats, dogs, pies and swans fighting for top 5.

I did the ladder predictor and had us finishing 6th...hope i got that wrong.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not convinced we will DEFINATELY finish top 4. I see C'wood and Syd as major dangers, especially with c'woods easy draw AGAIN!!!

I think adel will fall off the pace a bit, so i see hawks, cats, dogs, pies and swans fighting for top 5.

I did the ladder predictor and had us finishing 6th...hope i got that wrong.

What games did you have us winning and losing to finish 6th????

Sydney will have to catch up 2 game, whilst Collingwood will have to catch up 3 games (assuming they win today!) and 4 games after we smash their pansy arses next week.

PS. where is the ladder predictor? (please don't say AFL site, please don't say AFL site, please don't say AFL site)

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 12:24 PM
here we go topdog

http://afl.allthestats.com/misc/ladderpredict.php

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 12:38 PM
ok, sorry i had us 5th...

FWIW i had us winning against...
PORT
MELB
CARL
NMELB
ESS

and losses to
COLL
GEEL (ss)
SYD (mo)
BRIS (gab)
ADEL (aami)

and c'wood i had....
CARL -W
DOGS - W
SYD - L
ADEL - W
NM - W
ESS - W
HAW - L
STK - W
PORT (aami) - W?
SYD - W
FREM (s) - W?

IF we beat them next week, and they lose those 2 interstate games, we should be ok. I think i has pies and syd finishing ahead of us by those 2 pts with our draw.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I did my ladder prediction last week (no longer have a copy of it) but i had us 2nd

Sounds over the top but i think Geelong can be beaten a few times coming up..

My Top 8 was Hawks, Dogs (16-5-1), Cats, Swans, Pies, Crows, Bris, Roos

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I did my ladder prediction last week (no longer have a copy of it) but i had us 2nd

Sounds over the top but i think Geelong can be beaten a few times coming up..

My Top 8 was Hawks, Dogs (16-5-1), Cats, Swans, Pies, Crows, Bris, Roos

my top 8 was
HAWKS
GEEL
SYD
CWOOD
WBULL
ADEL
BRIS
NMELB

Topdog
15-06-2008, 12:42 PM
and losses to
COLL

Why???? We have beaten them comfortably the last few times, are harder at the ball, have a better midfield, a better functioning forward line.

We will beat them by 30+. They are a team I am not worried about in the slightest.

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 12:45 PM
just have a fear when it comes to SMALL fwds. They have thomas, davis, didak and medhurst. I know we SHOULD beat them, but i just hate playing them, and have this feeling they will just pip us.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 12:47 PM
OK I just did it.

3 Geelong 22 19 3 0 2427 1946 76 124.7
1 Hawthorn 22 19 3 0 2432 1975 76 123.1
2 W Bulldogs 22 18 3 1 2565 2035 74 126.0
4 Sydney 22 15 6 1 2234 1841 62 121.3
5 Adelaide 22 14 8 0 2206 2014 56 109.5
7 Bris Lions 22 13 9 0 2283 2164 52 105.4
8 Nth Melb 22 12 9 1 2150 2222 50 96.7
6 Collingwood 22 12 10 0 2380 2136 48 111.4
11 Port Adel 22 9 13 0 2206 2172 36 101.5
10 Carlton 22 9 13 0 2122 2255 36 94.1
14 Fremantle 22 8 14 0 2082 2206 32 94.3
9 St Kilda 22 8 14 0 2073 2215 32 93.5
12 Richmond 22 7 14 1 2134 2342 30 91.1
15 West Coast 22 6 16 0 1923 2299 24 83.6
13 Essendon 22 4 18 0 1996 2534 16 78.7
16 Melbourne 22 1 21 0 1793 2650 4 67.6

Wow I give Freo a lot of credit or they have an easy draw coming up.

Collingwoods draw IMO

WB = loss
Syd (away) = loss
Ade = win
NM = loss (match up well against the pies)
Ess = win
Hawks = loss
Saints = win
Port (away) = loss (could win)
Syd = win (could lose)
Fremantle = loss (maybe harsh)

I don't see where the perception that they have an easy draw comes from.

They play 3 of the top 5 teams in the next 3 weeks and could easily lose them all.

6 out of their next 10 are against top 8 sides!

No where near the top 4.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 12:49 PM
just have a fear when it comes to SMALL fwds. They have thomas, davis, didak and medhurst. I know we SHOULD beat them, but i just hate playing them, and have this feeling they will just pip us.

Morris, Hargrave, Gilbee, Addison, Everitt = bye bye Collingwood.

Anyway even if they do fire who is going to stop Aker, Welsh, Johnno, Cooney, Murphy and Gia?

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 12:50 PM
so who do u think we will lose 2 in the coming weeks topdog?

cant see pies finishing that low with their draw.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I dont think the Pies are a real threat and they will be showed up next week for their lack of class and talent. Guts and determination will only get you so far and i think they will get shown up against us.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 12:51 PM
In the end I don't care about other sides be they Victorian or non Victorian.
Destiny is in our own hands, if we want to win must beat all comers where ever we get the play them.
One thing for certain is I don't barrack for Victoria.

DOG GOD
15-06-2008, 12:55 PM
topdog..i hope your right and cwood do fall off the pace, if they beat carl today, u have them winning only 4 of their remaining 10 games...cant see that happening.

Hope your right though. :)

yes Ernie, our destiny is in our OWN hands.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 12:56 PM
so who do u think we will lose 2 in the coming weeks topdog?

cant see pies finishing that low with their draw.

I updated my post after you responded so I will retype it

I don't see where the perception that they have an easy draw comes from.

They play 3 of the top 5 teams in the next 3 weeks and could easily lose them all.

6 out of their next 10 are against top 8 sides!

No where near the top 4.

Had us losing to Geelong and Adelaide. We could drop the game to Sydney quite easily but I'm backing us in.

We smashed Brisbane yesterday at their own game. Bradshaw and the Gabba will not make up the 63 points (which actually flattered Brisbane)

1eyedog
15-06-2008, 01:07 PM
That ladder predictor is a load of crap and I can't see Collingwood beating us and I think we have a great chance to beat Geelong down there. There are way too many contingencies for that ladder predictor to have any relevance to the finishing positions of teams within the top eight. It is a system purely based on one's interpretation and certainly ain't science and only empirical testing will triumph.

Twodogs
15-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Hang on, how does this work?

COLL
GEEL (ss)
SYD (mo)
BRIS (gab)
ADEL (aami)

Collingwood have a 'soft draw' but they'll beat us. How does that work? Either they are crap and we'll show them up as pretenders or they are the real deal and they'll roll us

Geelong have no terrors for us whether it's at SS or TD they're still our bitches, overlook the hiding they handed us last year-that wasnt the true us and they were flying.

We went past Sydney earlier in the season. That win was at their ground and we beat them with their gameplan-we will have a period of dominance over them.

We beat Brisbane yesterday with a number of our best 22 sitting on the sidelines. Bradshaw may stengthen them but then we've got ample options to cover him these days. He's not a ten goal difference player.

Even most Adelaide supporters are just waitiung for the deteroration to set in.

Pessimism is our greatest enemy. We have a gun side that can take it up to any team and it has the flexibilty to play several gamestyles. The sooner we all accept that the better.

Twodogs
15-06-2008, 04:34 PM

In this context it doesnt matter what the 'A' stands for. Hujsh was referring to the local meeja's constant harping about how Victorian Football was finished because a Victorian team didnt win a flag over a six year period. Anyone with half a brain knew that footy was cyclical and that Victorian teams would eventually return to the top of the pile(and will eventually fall of the pace. It was hysterical, crazy talk and has proven to be rubbish in the long term.

Hujsh wasnt having a go at interstate clubs-more taking the opportunity to flush the Chicken Little media's head down the dunny.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Collingwood look like they are going to go down today.

hujsh
15-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Hujsh wasnt having a go at interstate clubs-more taking the opportunity to flush the Chicken Little media's head down the dunny.

bingo. About the media being hysterical

hujsh
15-06-2008, 06:24 PM

Couldn't care who we played in the finals as long as we win. More interstate sides may mean more chance of playing an away final where they have an advantage. More Vics means no advantage (unless at Skilled which i doubt will happen) to either team and we can play on merit and not a home advantage.

Also the home advantage for us isn't as important as it is for interstate teams.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Collingwood will have to catch up 3 games (assuming they win today!) and 4 games after we smash their pansy arses next week.

Scrap that they are still 4 games behind with 10 to go. Would take a ridiculous change in fortunes for us to lose 4th to the Pies.

Don't believe the hype about the Pies. The only reason you hear about how good they are so often is because there are so bloody many Pies supporters.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Bulldog wins: Collingwood - W
POrt - W
Melbourne - W
Geelong - L
Carlton - W (This one worries me)
Sydney - L
Kangas - W
Brisbane - W
Essendon W
Adelaide - Loss

Collingwood: WB - Loss
Sydney - W (Sydney are there bitches)
Adelaide - Loss
North - W
Hawks - L
Saints - W
Port - W
Syd - W
Freo - L (50/50)

Mofra
15-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Would have been nice to have Tim Callan in to take Medhurst (I would have liked that match up) however we have Hargrave playing small, Morris can take anyone, Addison plays back, Everitt can play small, Ray has done some defensive work as well.

Williams & Lake on Cloke & Rocca respectively. I think we match up pretty well on them. They don't have a match-up for Minson, who just needs to touch the ball to be dangerous (as per yesterday's roving efforts from Welsh). He genuinely rucks the ball in a marking contest at times.

Mofra
15-06-2008, 07:12 PM
We beat Brisbane yesterday with a number of our best 22 sitting on the sidelines. Bradshaw may stengthen them but then we've got ample options to cover him these days. He's not a ten goal difference player.
Agree with this, Bradshaw would not have stopped them getting smashed in the centre, or a ~30 inside 50s difference.

hujsh
15-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Would have been nice to have Tim Callan in to take Medhurst (I would have liked that match up) however we have Hargrave playing small, Morris can take anyone, Addison plays back, Everitt can play small, Ray has done some defensive work as well.

Williams & Lake on Cloke & Rocca respectively. I think we match up pretty well on them. They don't have a match-up for Minson, who just needs to touch the ball to be dangerous (as per yesterday's roving efforts from Welsh). He genuinely rucks the ball in a marking contest at times.

Williams is the big in. How important is it to have that other tall defender. Cloke would normally be licking his lips at playing Hargrave or Moris or someone.

At 92kgs Wakelin shouldn't be strong enough for Minno (106KGS OF MIGHT!). N.Brown (97) may be the only option. So that leaves Wakelin on one of our small forwards.

BulldogBelle
15-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I like Vic teams to beat interstate teams - is that a bad thing??

Dry Rot
15-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I like Vic teams to beat interstate teams - is that a bad thing??

It is for us. The Dees and North too.

In a perfect world, we'd be playing either the Swans or the Lions each year in the GF, and their memberships and TV ratings would be soaring.

Sedat
15-06-2008, 11:43 PM
At 92kgs Wakelin shouldn't be strong enough for Minno (106KGS OF MIGHT!). N.Brown (97) may be the only option. So that leaves Wakelin on one of our small forwards.
Wakelin usually gets dropped against the Dogs for team balance reasons because he simply has no suitable match-up. I'd expect an additonal small brought in for a tall this week by the Pies.

hujsh
15-06-2008, 11:46 PM
It is for us. The Dees and North too.

In a perfect world, we'd be playing either the Swans or the Lions each year in the GF, and their memberships and TV ratings would be soaring.

Are you saying that we should hope for the Vics to fail (except for us) so that we become the strongest Vic club?

Dry Rot
15-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Are you saying that we should hope for the Vics to fail (except for us) so that we become the strongest Vic club?

No, but it's not a bad idea. :)

I'm saying that while we are on the financial teat of the AFL, I want the AFL to make as much money as possible and get an even bigger TV rights deal next time.

And the way to do that is to have the game booming in NSW and Qld with media placement companies and advertisers clamouring for TV spots during broadcasts in those states.

If was say a Crows or Dons fan supporting a strong financial club I wouldn't think like this at all.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't get the Vic/interstate thing. As far as I'm concerned there's two types of footy clubs; those that are Footscray and those that aren't.

Twodogs
16-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I don't get the Vic/interstate thing. As far as I'm concerned there's two types of footy clubs; those that are Footscray and those that aren't.

Yep, that's the bottom line. Footscray and the rest. If anything an Essendon victory provokes far more disgust and anger in me than the interstate clubs but that's the build up of a life times bile and spite due to to significant amounts of exposure to smarmy Essenddon supporting teeny opper gits rather than a hatred of Essendon as such.

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Yep, that's the bottom line. Footscray and the rest. If anything an Essendon victory provokes far more disgust and anger in me than the interstate clubs but that's the build up of a life times bile and spite due to to significant amounts of exposure to smarmy Essenddon supporting teeny opper gits rather than a hatred of Essendon as such.

I totally agree with this -- found myself barracking for the Lions against Essendon and Collingwood in those GFs. Have no time for the self-important 'traditional' clubs who think they run the place.

Topdog
16-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Same here latern. I went into the match going for Collingwood and as soon as Collingwood kicked their first goal I remembered how much I couldn't stand them and wanted Brisbane to win, even going against my bet :(

hujsh
16-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I totally agree with this -- found myself barracking for the Lions against Essendon and Collingwood in those GFs. Have no time for the self-important 'traditional' clubs who think they run the place.

I did to actually. Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Adelaide, Sydney, Port and WCE are clubs i i don't want to win. Freo I'm indifferent to. Lions i like a bit. St.Kilda was a team i enjoyed watching when Thomas was in charge. Geelong is my second team.

The rest mean nothing

But i always want the best result for the dogs.

1eyedog
16-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I did to actually. Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Adelaide, Sydney, Port and WCE are clubs i i don't want to win. Freo I'm indifferent to. Lions i like a bit. St.Kilda was a team i enjoyed watching when Thomas was in charge. Geelong is my second team.

The rest mean nothing

But i always want the best result for the dogs.

I hate them all, especially Geelong, Richmond and Collingwood, ohhhhh I hate them the most, growing up in Geelong certainly didn't help. Fitzroy were ok until I got sick of all our players going there. I'm neutral to North, that's about it.

JimmySewell
16-06-2008, 05:35 PM
have faith my fellow doggies supporters !:D

opposition supporters and anti dogs media personalities will try to put doubts about us into your minds by bringing this kind of shit up on radio and tv etc only because they are jealous - :rolleyes:

well - Screw Them ! They are a minority that is only doing this to try to doubt our abilities and they are jealous beacuse they cant stand the idea of us winning the big one!

Reaks of Jealousy !

Our boys are on the right track - so just believe !

Akka will lead them in to battle when the big games come around !:D

Sedat
16-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Two teams I barrack for every week, the Dogs and the team that is playing Collingwood. This week I only have one team to support.

DOG GOD
16-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Two teams I barrack for every week, the Dogs and the team that is playing Collingwood. This week I only have one team to support.

You got that right Sedat :)

hujsh
16-06-2008, 06:56 PM
No, but it's not a bad idea. :)

I'm saying that while we are on the financial teat of the AFL, I want the AFL to make as much money as possible and get an even bigger TV rights deal next time.

And the way to do that is to have the game booming in NSW and Qld with media placement companies and advertisers clamouring for TV spots during broadcasts in those states.

If was say a Crows or Dons fan supporting a strong financial club I wouldn't think like this at all.

How big was our slice of that TV rights deal? As far as i know we get what we get and the extra AFL money won't change that.

The more money the AFL makes the more they spend on making more money. If anything a strong club will make more money from a stronger AFL not us.

Dry Rot
17-06-2008, 12:30 AM
How big was our slice of that TV rights deal? As far as i know we get what we get and the extra AFL money won't change that.

Bigger than the Bombers. Would we, North or the Dees survive without AFL handouts?

Given the AFL's costly push into NSW and Qld, I'd like to see them make more money to continue this largesse.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I hate them all, especially Geelong, Richmond and Collingwood, ohhhhh I hate them the most, growing up in Geelong certainly didn't help. Fitzroy were ok until I got sick of all our players going there. I'm neutral to North, that's about it.

When I was just a kid it was an article of faith in our family that North and anything to do with it was nothing more than scum. My dear old nana who died 25 years ago and who grew up in Footscray that saw the cattleyards which formed the boundary between Footscray and Flemington(which was part of North Melbourne) as a kind of Hadrian's Wall that kept North at bay, used to call North players "cow ****ers" whenever she saw them on TV.

I cant help but admire them these days.

1eyedog
17-06-2008, 11:37 AM
When I was just a kid it was an article of faith in our family that North and anything to do with it was nothing more than scum. My dear old nana who died 25 years ago and who grew up in Footscray that saw the cattleyards which formed the boundary between Footscray and Flemington(which was part of North Melbourne) as a kind of Hadrian's Wall that kept North at bay, used to call North players "cow ****ers" whenever she saw them on TV.

I cant help but admire them these days.

That's a great story, Hadrian's wall I like the analogy implying civilised and barbarian:D

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 01:21 PM
That's a great story, Hadrian's wall I like the analogy implying civilised and barbarian:D

Yep. North Melbourne are The Picts.

hujsh
17-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Bigger than the Bombers. Would we, North or the Dees survive without AFL handouts?

Given the AFL's costly push into NSW and Qld, I'd like to see them make more money to continue this largesse.

More money for the AFL doesn't equal more money for us. If they made $100 million dollar profit this year i doubt our 'handout' would be increased.

If we got a suitable stadium deal i would happily trade away our 'handouts'.

1eyedog
17-06-2008, 04:29 PM
The pressure on the regulation of the ASDs are coming from wealthy interstate clubs, they generally feel 8 Victorian teams is the optimal number, in their eyes two will have to go at some stage either sooner or later. In all honesty IMO if it wasn't for the interstate clubs the old VFL would have went to hell in a hand basket, it simply was not sustainable any longer. The new kids on the block feel they saved our ass and now they seek to influence the AFL on how many VIC clubs there should be. These interstate clubs have only been around for 15 odd years, we're talking about other clubs that are 100 years old, there are serious emotions involved. I would hate to think we will be canned in 3-5 years. Unless the ASDs keep coming or we get an extra 10,000 members and win a flag we are in trouble. North have shown that a couple of recent flags means nothing though. At the game on Saturday I saw so many Bulldogs supporters buying tickets for the day. If they are going to come to the footy why not buy a standard membership? If we don't all jump on board we will not have a club to support. I do not want to see the Bulldogs win a flag within the next 2 years then have to relocate within 3-5 years, but if the interstate teams get their way and we cannot get decent membership numbers that's what will happen. As a matter of interest, how many extra members do you think we would sign up for next year if we won a flag this year?

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 04:43 PM
The pressure on the regulation of the ASDs are coming from wealthy interstate clubs, they generally feel 8 Victorian teams is the optimal number, in their eyes two will have to go at some stage either sooner or later.

Very much so.

They are using the CBF as a battering ram to get rid of two Melbourne clubs. Adages like 'cant see the forrest for the trees' and 'cutting of your nose to spite your face' spring straight to mind.

LostDoggy
17-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Love this. Well put.

Currently my most hated team is Hawthorn, though. Don't really know why -- have more reason to hate Richmond but Richo is such a great character no one can really hate him. No such player(s) in Hawthorn -- I know many on this forum rate them, but I really don't. If you go back I picked us to thrash them by 34 points when many in the footy industry were uhmming and ahhing. They are not a patch on Geelong, and are certainly a far inferior team to the Dogs -- midfield is one-paced, doesn't kick goals and soft as mud, forwardline is overreliant on two erratic marking targets, and backline is pretty one-dimensional. Started the season with a head of steam, and then the media start talking them up and talking about a stupid zone that Rodney just took apart (which shows you how bad tactically most of the other coaches in the league are) and the worst phrase in football currently: 'unsociable football'. That's just bloody stupid. Teams have been tough and uncompromising for 150 years and now Hawthorn come along and try to pretend to be tough and they create a stupid term for it. All they are are softies trying to match it with the big boys.

I didn't see them being too unsociable when they were getting their asses belted by 32 points and them only kicking 14 scores over 4 quarters and Big Will tossing their backline around like rag dolls.

Just can't stand the 'team of the moment' media darlings, like the Saints at the start of the year, and now the Hawks. Geelong last year was a different case -- clearly a brilliant, all-round good team.

Mantis
17-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Just can't stand the 'team of the moment' media darlings, like the Saints at the start of the year, and now the Hawks. Geelong last year was a different case -- clearly a brilliant, all-round good team.

And like we are becoming, best you don't read the papers over the next 12 weeks or so because the media are starting to take notice that we have a pretty good team on our hands.

LostDoggy
17-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I've noticed. Even Lyon is talking us up.

But, like Geelong, we are also clearly a brilliant, all-round good team that deserve the kudos, not like the Saints and Hawthorn where it was just fashionable to talk about a supposedly good list without looking at the pretty sizeable cracks (that every good coach in the league -- and there are about 3 -- have been able to exploit mercilessly).

Topdog
17-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Agree with the media darlings comment Lantern.

1 thing that annoyed me greatly with the Hawks last win is how much praise Franklin got for his last quarter. i watched that game and he did NOTHING to help the Hawks win, besides that goal he kicked early in the quarter.

All major football programs showed that footage where he marked the ball at half back and ran and kicked and got the handball back and said it was bloody brilliant. What they forgot to mention was that after his miskick the ball rebounded out and 2 kicks later the Crows kicked a goal from.......you guessed it pretty much the exact position where Buddy started his "brilliant" run.

They also don't make any mention about how he really shouldn't have asked for that handball back as he had no chance of kicking a goal from there and shouldn't be delivering the ball into the F50. Richo does a similar move some weeks but instead of taking the easy handball back he runs into space in the F50 and gets the ball kicked to him so he can have a shot at goal.

Prima donna, heroism that will not win you games of football.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2008, 07:41 PM
The pressure on the regulation of the ASDs are coming from wealthy interstate clubs, they generally feel 8 Victorian teams is the optimal number, in their eyes two will have to go at some stage either sooner or later. In all honesty IMO if it wasn't for the interstate clubs the old VFL would have went to hell in a hand basket, it simply was not sustainable any longer. The new kids on the block feel they saved our ass and now they seek to influence the AFL on how many VIC clubs there should be. These interstate clubs have only been around for 15 odd years, we're talking about other clubs that are 100 years old, there are serious emotions involved. I would hate to think we will be canned in 3-5 years. Unless the ASDs keep coming or we get an extra 10,000 members and win a flag we are in trouble. North have shown that a couple of recent flags means nothing though. At the game on Saturday I saw so many Bulldogs supporters buying tickets for the day. If they are going to come to the footy why not buy a standard membership? If we don't all jump on board we will not have a club to support. I do not want to see the Bulldogs win a flag within the next 2 years then have to relocate within 3-5 years, but if the interstate teams get their way and we cannot get decent membership numbers that's what will happen. As a matter of interest, how many extra members do you think we would sign up for next year if we won a flag this year?

The following link is to an aticle that I recently read. It doesn't mention about extra numbers in membership following a Premiership but it does mention about increase to a Club's support base. It makes for interesting reading anyway.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2008/760/

1eyedog
17-06-2008, 07:46 PM

The following link is to an aticle that I recently read. It doesn't mention about extra numbers in membership following a Premiership but it does mention about increase to a Club's support base. It makes for interesting reading anyway.

Great thanks B4LIFE I'll check it out

LostDoggy
17-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Damn that is disapointing to see how few supporters we have. Yes I know our supporter base is crap and nearly always has been, but I would have expected a larer number of supporters than that.:(

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Damn that is disapointing to see how few supporters we have. Yes I know our supporter base is crap and nearly always has been, but I would have expected a larer number of supporters than that.:(

I wouldnt get that fussed. Id rather a small base of supporters who actually helped the club than 1,000, 0000 supporters who write on a form that they follow a particular club and then dont think about it again until the next time someone shoves a form under their nose.

Anyway some success onfield will see everybody who lives between Kensington and Melton wearing red, white and blue.

LostDoggy
17-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I wouldnt get that fussed. Id rather a small base of supporters who actually helped the club than 1,000, 0000 supporters who write on a form that they follow a particular club and then dont think about it again until the next time someone shoves a form under their nose.

Anyway some success onfield will see everybody who lives between Kensington and Melton wearing red, white and blue.

I agree with that, im just saying that I thought that we would have had a few more supporters than that.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree with that, im just saying that I thouht that we would have had a few more supporters than that.

Yeah well all I can say in reply to that is we dont like strangers 'round these parts!

Mofra
17-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Waaaay ahead of you ;)

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Waaaay ahead of you ;)

Like the Primitives? Or was that Way Behind You?

hujsh
17-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Western Bulldogs supporters are:

* 98% more likely to have bought a dishwasher in the past 12 months;
* 30% less likely to agree that “I regard myself as a bit of a car enthusiast”;
* 36% more likely to have to have a banking relationship with Westpac;
* 35% more likely to agree that “I find TV advertising interesting”;
* 29% more likely to gain access to the Internet using iiNet as their Internet Service Provider;
* 22% more likely to agree that “I really enjoy going on-line to chat”;
* 22% more likely to own either a dog or a cat”;
* 12% more likely to have purchased hardware or gardening products from Bunnings;

Make of that what you will