PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Frankston

Mantis
15-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Williamstown 3.2 11.3 13.6 18.13 (121)
Frankston 7.2 10.5 15.8 16.11 (107)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Cloke 3 Galea 3 Rose 3 Little 2 Hill 2 Greene 2 Picken Jolley Stretton
Frankston: Lourey 4 Murray 3 Berry 3 Morris 2 Oliver 2 Marigliani Limbach

BEST:
Williamstown: Stretton Harbrow Cloke Galea Meyer O'Keefe
Frankston: Berry Collins Winterton Kennedy Lourey Whelan

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Williamstown: Nil
Frankston: Nil

I watched most of the second half. There was a 2-3 goal wind blowing which explains the score variations.

* Harbrow was very good across half back.

* Thought Reid showed a bit in the middle.

* Street, Hill & Tiller were all pretty contributors.

GVGjr
15-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I went and say both games today and the Bulldogs listed players weren't at their best as far as I am concerned. It might have had something to do with the Saturday night function.
Caught up with Bornadog before half time.

The reserves had a big win by 115 points and the Bulldogs listed players were Boumann, Mulligan, O'Shea and White.
O'Shea kicked 5 and even spent some time in defence when he rotated with Boumann.
Boumann moved between CHB/HBF and CHF and took a few marks and kicked a couple of goals. His kicking wasn't that effective when he was up forward.
White got a bit of the footy but wasn't as good as previous weeks.
Mulligan rucked and kicked a couple of goals but he need to improve his marking.

The seniors had a tough game against a very determined opposition and were lucky to win.

McDougall played in defense and did a good job. He was much improved from the previous week but needs to kick the ball a bit more rather than the handballs. He did a lot of the one percenters with his tackling and spoiling etc.

Harbrow played everywhere and racked up a lot of kicks. He was one player who's energy level seemed to hold for the 4 quarters.

Stack had a quiet game compared to previous weeks and whilst Hill did some nice things he was down a bit as well.

Lynch is improving and did some nice things but needs to be more consistent.

O'Keefe was one of the better performers and battled on throughout the game. He is just down a bit from his early season form.

Street did OK in the ruck but like a lot of the Doggies guys, he just lacked a bit of spark of some of his recent games.

Wood and Reid came off the bench and did OK. Reid in particular got better as the game wore on.

Tiller was in defense and whilst he was a bit quiet provided some terrific run and carry from the backline.

Wight played mainly as the CHF but also changed in the ruck and had a solid last quarter.

In the end the 14 point margin to the Seagulls actually flattered them.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2008, 08:54 PM
As its been said before, the trait of a good football side is to be able to win when they're not playing well. Whilst it may be disappointing some of our boys didn't play as well as they have been, the pleasing thing is the ability to still win games of football even when they aren't at their best - which has happened a few times with The Dogs, too.

Good to see Wood & Reid did OK, I've liked the sound of Reid so hopefully he's able to hold a spot so I can go down & watch sometime soon.

Sedat
15-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Anybody know what the problem is with Jared Grant? He hasn't played for a few weeks now. I've been overseas the last few weeks so I haven't been up to speed on our injury list.

craigsahibee
15-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Anybody know what the problem is with Jared Grant? He hasn't played for a few weeks now. I've been overseas the last few weeks so I haven't been up to speed on our injury list.

OP was mentioned in a previous thread.

hujsh
15-06-2008, 11:07 PM
OP was mentioned in a previous thread.

That's the word on the street

Sedat
15-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Cheers guys. If that's the case, very happy to cotton wool him for the remainder of the season and get a big pre-season into him in readiness for 2009.

hujsh
15-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Cheers guys. If that's the case, very happy to cotton wool him for the remainder of the season and get a big pre-season into him in readiness for 2009.

Just reminded me that he didn't really have a pre-season this year

bornadog
15-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Adding to GVGjr's post I was also impressed with Reid today. As GVGjr mentioned he got better as the game went on. Reid did some nice things in the last quarter with the help of Street palming the ball beautifully to him and then clearing the ball from the centre to help set up a few goals.

The Pie Man
16-06-2008, 09:52 AM
* Harbrow was very good across half back.

* Thought Reid showed a bit in the middle.

* Street, Hill & Tiller were all pretty contributors.

The Harbrow shimmy/change of direction is class, was nice to see this close up. Hill was pretty good too, though his disposal was a little off at times, but he had it on a string at the start of the last quarter. Tiller was ok, though it annoys me that Cloke plays forward when natural forwards like Tiller & McDougall play back.

Good win in the end - my first time down to Burbank Oval, bit fresh wasn't it? Street taking a bounce in the 3rd quarter a highlight for me......

GVGjr
16-06-2008, 06:52 PM
The Harbrow shimmy/change of direction is class, was nice to see this close up. Hill was pretty good too, though his disposal was a little off at times, but he had it on a string at the start of the last quarter. Tiller was ok, though it annoys me that Cloke plays forward when natural forwards like Tiller & McDougall play back.

Good win in the end - my first time down to Burbank Oval, bit fresh wasn't it? Street taking a bounce in the 3rd quarter a highlight for me......

It was freezing no doubt and yes I enjoyed Street going for a run and bounce

Harbrow is returning to some form which just adds to the depth.

Bulldog Revolution
16-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Wood and Reid came off the bench and did OK. Reid in particular got better as the game wore on.

How does Wood look physically? Is he quick, does he look to have a big engine?

Is Reid doing more without the ball - was he able to run and carry?

GVGjr
16-06-2008, 07:22 PM
How does Wood look physically? Is he quick, does he look to have a big engine?

Is Reid doing more without the ball - was he able to run and carry?

Wood is a very powerful lad. Strong legs and a big spring. He seems to be quick but not real quick. I'm not sure that he has a big engine because he is normally used in bursts.

Reid isn't really a run and carry midfielder. He wins the ball and tends to move it on with a kick or a handball but he isn't like Harbrow (for example) who really takes them on and loves to have a bounce. I think Reid has improved the defensive side of his game and I know when he was playing in the 2nds that they would use him in a defensive role in the last quarter to develop that side of his game.

Bulldog4life
16-06-2008, 10:59 PM
It was freezing no doubt and yes I enjoyed Street going for a run and bounce

Harbrow is returning to some form which just adds to the depth.

I really enjoy your reports GVGjr. Just out of curiosity if you had to nominate the 3 Leaders in the B & F for Willy who would you pick?

GVGjr
16-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I really enjoy your reports GVGjr. Just out of curiosity if you had to nominate the 3 Leaders in the B & F for Willy who would you pick?

I need to give this a bit more thought because I tend to focus on the Doggies listed players but for Williamstown listed players it's Stretton, Rose and Meyer that stand out. Cloke was good early in the season but has slowed down a fair bit. If we are including the Doggies players then Street is right in the mix.