PDA

View Full Version : Worst supporters?

Dry Rot
15-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Living in Sydney, I have a very warped view of supporters of other teams.

Mostly i catch up with them at one of the few pubs which shows AFL, and there is mostly some sort of "exile" comeraderie ie respect for each other that we follow AFL in this NRL dominated city.

Who are the worst supporters of another team and why?

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2007, 02:11 PM
They've all had their moments.

I have real problems with South Australians generally. Port supporters are the ferals. Crows supporters have changed since Port came into the comp. Crows supporters used to be ferals, now they seem more like Melbourne supporters, polite with no idea what's going on (maybe in the early days PA magpie supporters followed the Crows?).

Richmond supporters are the first to go home when they're losing.

Collingwood are the most illogical.

Melbourne supporters are the biggest w*nkers on BF but I suspect that it's really one or two with a dozen different usernames.

Go_Dogs
15-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Geez, a but harsh on us South Aussie's there mate!

alwaysadog
15-02-2007, 05:06 PM
They've all had their moments.

I have real problems with South Australians generally. Port supporters are the ferals. Crows supporters have changed since Port came into the comp. Crows supporters used to be ferals, now they seem more like Melbourne supporters, polite with no idea what's going on (maybe in the early days PA magpie supporters followed the Crows?).

Richmond supporters are the first to go home when they're losing.

Collingwood are the most illogical.

Melbourne supporters are the biggest w*nkers on BF but I suspect that it's really one or two with a dozen different usernames.

Sockeye you must never use the words 'Collingwood' and 'logic' in the same sentence.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Geez, a but harsh on us South Aussie's there mate!

Of course Bulldog supporting SA'ans are exempt!

I spent 3 years in Adelaide from 89-92, which included the Crows start-up.

I arrived in Adelaide with no pre-concieved idea of SA'ans - I think I had barely met one before I moved.

I had never heard of the great SA/Vic footy rivelry. Perhaps it's this arrogance of Victorians that they hated, but I honestly had never considered SANFL as anything other than another footy league (one that convieniently played their grand final a week after ours so you could spend another day at the footy club on the piss before cricket took over).

My first year there North Adelaide won about their first 12 games. Hawthorn were in the process of going back-to-back in the VFL.

I nearly got bashed for disagreeing with a bloke at work when he made the statement that North Adelaide would beat Hawthorn.

I had blokes at my cricket club who wouldn't speak to me because I was Victorian!

Go_Dogs
15-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Being a Norwood supporter in S.A., I have always despised that motley bunch from Port Adelaide, plus they became the second AFL team, and I was hoping for a joint venture with Norwood/Sturt...My dislike of that club's supporters has continued, but thats a very general comment. I know a lot of Pt Adelaide supporters who are alright.

As far as AFL supporters though, Richmond would have to be some of the worst. The whole spitting incident is still what gets me...

alwaysadog
15-02-2007, 05:15 PM
My worst memory is the Essendon supporters in the 2000 game. It was an all ticket away game and we, my eldest son anmd I, found to our dismay that our seats were right in the middle of the Essendon members. There were four middle aged guys sitting directly in front of us and did they give us hell all night. They were well into the ink and nasty with it.

Every time we missed or they got a free they would turn round and in a very stilted way chant "What a pity' or if they scored had a series of smart remarks about the poor quality of the opposition. They went very quiet in the last minute of the game and on the final siren I couldn't resist leaning forward and saying quietly but loudly enough to be heard, "What a pity."

The Bulldogs Bite
15-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Collingwood can be disgraceful if you're in the wrong spot, which can be often if you're within a 10 metre radius of a group. They're appalling at the MCG on the rails, standing up.

Richmond are a bunch of whingers, with a touch of Collingwood about them (feral) and a bit of arrogance. I can't stand them, personally. Probably my most hated.

Essendon supporters can be ignorant too, and it's annoying how they cheer any time Hird gets within a country mile of the Football. God knows they'll do the same thing to Lloyd when he comes back.

But yes; I'd have to say I hate Richmond supporters with a passion, whilst Collingwood can be pretty poor at times, you just have to be mindful of where you're sitting/standing.

GVGjr
15-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Carlton supporters as far as I am concerned are the worst.

Even after 3 bad seasons that can't bring themselves to think that they should have chopped half the list a few years ago and stopped going after recycled players. The quick fix actually worked against them and now with a multi millionaire on board they are delusional in thinking that money will solve all their on field problems.

The fact that so many of them have stopped being members indicates that a vast majority of them are just fair weather supporters.

Twodogs
15-02-2007, 06:06 PM
My worst memory is the Essendon supporters in the 2000 game. It was an all ticket away game and we, my eldest son anmd I, found to our dismay that our seats were right in the middle of the Essendon members. There were four middle aged guys sitting directly in front of us and did they give us hell all night. They were well into the ink and nasty with it.

Every time we missed or they got a free they would turn round and in a very stilted way chant "What a pity' or if they scored had a series of smart remarks about the poor quality of the opposition. They went very quiet in the last minute of the game and on the final siren I couldn't resist leaning forward and saying quietly but loudly enough to be heard, "What a pity."

That was quite a night. My best mate stopped mid aisle with a cup of coffee in his hand, put it down and tried to go a particular loud mouth during the third quarter. This charmer had been abusing an elderly woman sitting a couple of rows in front of us. At the end of the game she stood and let fly at him, his footy club, his parents, the place he was born and pretty much anything he'd ever had to do with since the day he was born.

He went as white as a sheet and then as red as a beet, but with half a dozen of us standing behind her leering at him he wasnt going to do anything. It was beautiful to watch

LostDoggy
15-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Not sure which team I cant stand the most based on their supporters but it starts with the Crows, Lions, Saints, Pies, Demons and Blues.

I'll go with the Demons as the team I can't stand the mostly due to their supporters.

BulldogBelle
15-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Melbourne, Richmond & St Kilda supporters would be the most annoying ones, whenever we play those teams there is always a smarty trying to stir up something. It's happened too many times to put it down to co-incidence. For some reason the St Kilda supporters always bring up how much they hate Chris Grant. A few of you have mentioned Essendon, the Essendon supporters I have encountered have been really good. It just boils down to encountering an idiot supporter by chance.

Dry Rot
15-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Young Swans fans can be utter tools.

Hard Ball Get
15-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Richmond.
Ive never seen a bunch of people eat their own like the Tigers supporters do.

Essendon a close second. Purely for arrogance.

Twodogs
15-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Essendon a close second. Purely for arrogance.

Must admit the Essendon supporters tend to bring out the worst in me and my mates. We like to stand behind them and yell "LLLLOOYYYDY" every time he goes near the ball and abuse the umpire for not giving James Hird enough free kicks. Last year we came up with the idea of calling them "glorified western suburbans" that really seemed to upset them for some reason.

We always enjoy ourselves enornmousley against Essendon. Then again we're still trotting out Pyramid Building Society jokes at the Geelong supporters.:o

Dry Rot
16-02-2007, 10:39 AM
For some reason the St Kilda supporters always bring up how much they hate Chris Grant.

Wonder why they have it in for him?

Go_Dogs
16-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Probably cos they know Harvey's Brownlow should have been his.

LostDoggy
16-02-2007, 06:33 PM
It may seem a strange nomination but Eagles supporters are extremely difficult. I cannot call them the 'worst', in the sense that they are obnoxious or rude or aggressive or especially hostile to the Doggies. They are none of those things, generally speaking, but they are insufferably superior. You probably have to attend matches at Subiaco to understand. I nominate them as the worst supporters because when you go to Subiaco you are not going to a football match. You are attending the modern equivalent of the circus games at the Colosseum in ancient Rome. Eagles fans are the true believers, and opposition teams are the ritual lambs to the slaughter. It is simply expected that the Eagles will win, and if you support another team you are a curiosity, barely tolerated, and you are reminded of how much of a minority you are. You are expected to be silent. In fact, the footy doesn't matter. Many Eagles supporters are there for the social occasion, and to be seen. Particularly pubescent bunnies showing lots of flesh for their heroes to see. It's also true that people take knitting to the footy- I've seen it for myself. What matters is your attendance. It's like going to church on a Sunday so you can feel 'good' for the rest of the week, and your identity is affirmed. This doesn't happen so much at the games I've attended in Victoria, since there is usually a numerical balance between supporters of both sides.
Luckily Eagles supporters are quite sedate, and can be gracious and sporting, but their numerical superiority, if combined with feral behaviour, could get really ugly. Maybe it's because they know they overwhelm the opposition that they keep things in check. If that's the case then credit where it is due I suppose.
Fremantle are a different kettle of fish altogether. Genuinely strange people, with that far-off look in their eyes, like visionary artists, or psych patients, but nothing to worry about.

WA Dogs- Sons of the Far West

alwaysadog
16-02-2007, 10:15 PM
or psych patients, but nothing to worry about.

WA Dogs- Sons of the Far West

Getting a bit too close to home for my liking there. I'm not sure that long term Bulldog supporting isn't closely akin to a psych disorder. Yes... but a wonderful madness.

westdog54
17-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Adelaide supporters trashed the statue of a deceased legend of the game.

Enough said.

Twodogs
17-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Adelaide supporters trashed the statue of a deceased legend of the game.

Enough said.

I didnt mind that so much. I'd have done the same thing if the circumstances were reversed.

westdog54
19-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I didnt mind that so much. I'd have done the same thing if the circumstances were reversed.

Not a chance. EJ isn't just the heart and soul of Victorian Football, he's a legend of the game. Deserves better. End of story